Tropical Storm Matthew UGH!

The storm is probably going to be way south. Don't worry!

Yes! It was way too early to worry about Matthew. It is not forecasted to be anywhere close to Florida any time soon. The National Hurricane Center puts it near Cuba on Monday.

matthew-092916.jpg

For those not familiar with tropical weather: Do Not Stress!

I'm in Fort Lauderdale and I'm not remotely worried about Matthew. So many things can happen between now and next week. And Orlando is even further away from the action.

I am not worried about the actual storm hitting us, but for the rain and whatnot, trying to be prepared...my trip is 10/1-4. Right now forecast says storms just above t every hour we want to be in the parks haha.

I am not worried about the actual storm hitting us, but for the rain and whatnot, trying to be prepared...my trip is 10/1-4. Right now forecast says storms just above t every hour we want to be in the parks haha.
Yes, I'm not worried about the actual storm/hurricane hitting us either, just all the nasty rain that will put a damper on our trip. My DS loves to swim every day at the resort and will be so disappointed if the weather is nasty. We will bring our ponchos and make the best of it, but rain does affect some ride closures which is another bummer :crazy2:

I am trying to find shows for DH as all he has are sneakers. I hope the crocs store has somehitng he will wear. (Not real crocs he hates them) should we bring umbrellas? Or just ponchos? SIGH let's hope it changes course.

Ponchos.

Tevas, Keens...all sorts of sandals to wear.

It is pretty much always going to be chance of rain during afternoons.

Exactly. Rain every day is NORMAL.

Right now forecast says storms just above t every hour we want to be in the parks haha.

Forecasts in FL mean almost nothing. And you can literally watch the rain *over there* while you're bone dry. Huge downpour in AK once, we got over to MK and we left the raincloud behind; you could SEE the clouds causing the storm over AK as we drove away. At MK the ground was wet, because apparently that's where the cloud had been an hour or more before, but it was absolutely fine. While AK likely was still getting poured on.

This is normal.

My DS loves to swim every day at the resort and will be so disappointed if the weather is nasty.

As long as it's just rain and no thunder inside 5 miles, he can swim all he wants. What's going to happen if it's raining; he gets wet? :) The only actual issue there is if you brought lots of stuff to the pool. Bring a waterproof or plain plastic bag or don't bring stuff that can't get wet.

I arrive on Friday 10/7 and am not remotely worried about Matthew at Disney. Looks like now FL is totally in the clear. I am slightly concerned about our connecting flight in Charlotte so I will be alert to it's path later in the week. Hoping even if it heads up the East Coast it's far enough out to sea to not be a concern in Charlotte.

I always get a chuckle when people see a forecast for FL and see rain every day. I'm guessing rain in a forecast means something quite different where they live. Here, like in FL, it usually means afternoon showers somewhere, not everywhere. Now, we do get a few days where rain is for sure but it's rare. I know that in FL, they will have a chance of rain 365 days. But most likely, during the course of a trip, you will only have it rain where you are once or twice.

Umbrellas don't work very well in Disney crowds.
Sure they do. We use them all the time.
I dislike ponchos or rain coats as they have to come off and on each time you enter an indoor ride.

Don't worry -- some of my best times at DLR were in pouring rain. Slightly soggy but wonderful times. Time to revert to your inner child and enjoy some puddle jumping! Plus as PPs said, it usually rains every day there -- that's normal. But the rain comes in and blows out and isn't always there 100% of the time -- that's pretty rare.

It will be another few days before anybody knows where Matthew is heading as far as possible impact on Florida. and if you don't like the weather in Florida, wait for awhile and it will probably change.

I use an umbrella too. Not a good idea to leave it up for fireworks or parades but if it's raining there won't be a parade anyway, most likely.

There also seems to be more and more guests at WDW who use umbrellas for shade. So it's not just about rain anymore.

FL rain is weird. It can be raining in my backyard and sunny in the front yard. Last week it was POURING out at my house so I drove to get my DD from the bus stop which is .25 miles away. I turned the corner onto another street and it was dry as could be.

FL rain is weird. It can be raining in my backyard and sunny in the front yard. Last week it was POURING out at my house so I drove to get my DD from the bus stop which is .25 miles away. I turned the corner onto another street and it was dry as could be.
See, our weather here is exactly the same. I live in a 1 traffic light town. Our town center is 5 min from my house. It will regularly rain in one of those and not the other.
I live 15 miles away from work. Just last week it poured to the point of flooding at my office. I got home and it had never rained at all.
It's just the normal way to me so I guess that's why I don't find FL weather strange at all.

My nephew and I fly in tomorrow night, and I'm not at all worried. If it rains we will put on our ponchos and sandals and enjoy the empty parks.

FLY in tomorrow as well....ugggh... I hate rain all day.. 10 years ago I left early because of rain. No matter how you cut it if it rains all day ...day after day.. clothes are wet, shoes squishy...
and for me I find it difficult to enjoy

I will hope for the best.. Thunderstorm every day for hour or two okay with me.. I accept Florida weather but consistent rain all day for 3 days in a row.. I am going home

I am glad I have been reading these boards and have learned that a forecast for rain every day does not equal rain all day each day. I live in an area nicknamed the Lower Rainland where it is not unheard of to have rain almost not stop for weeks.

FLY in tomorrow as well....ugggh... I hate rain all day.. 10 years ago I left early because of rain. No matter how you cut it if it rains all day ...day after day.. clothes are wet, shoes squishy...
and for me I find it difficult to enjoy

I will hope for the best.. Thunderstorm every day for hour or two okay with me.. I accept Florida weather but consistent rain all day for 3 days in a row.. I am going home
Exactly! I mena my whole trip is three Oark days so I will tough it out but that's rough. The forecast last Tim ei looked was solid thunderstorms 5am-7pm and whatnot. We will have to see! The only shoes I could find in a hurry today were $45 I really hope we can return them unused when we get home

Matthew looks really really bad for Jamaica, Cuba, Haiti, Dominican Republic and the Bahamas...but if he stays on his present course he won't do much to Florida. He's moving pretty slowly also.

Matthew looks really really bad for Jamaica, Cuba, Haiti, Dominican Republic and the Bahamas...but if he stays on his present course he won't do much to Florida. He's moving pretty slowly also.
STAY FAR AWAY, Matthew!:scared1: Want some sun before the LONG winter approaches!:beach:::yes::

Lol! Me too! I've flown so many times but im still terrified. If my flight werent at 8am, i'd be drinking booze too!
Why does that stop you? It's vacation right?

I had to read up on air travel safety last night. One comforting statistic...you'd have to fly daily for 19,000 years to die on a plane. Now that's not really how statistics work buts it's a bit comforting.

Why does that stop you? It's vacation right?

I had to read up on air travel safety last night. One comforting statistic...you'd have to fly daily for 19,000 years to die on a plane. Now that's not really how statistics work buts it's a bit comforting.
You have a point! i'll spike my coffee. :)

Kinda comforting but not really. Because the strangest and weirdest and most unique things always seem to happen to me. :(

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter