• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Tropical Storm/Hurricane Sandy

sss

Mouseketeer
Hi. We are about to go on our next WDW family trip 11/2-11 from NJ to Orlando. How freaked out should I be on a scale from 1-10 about those Sandy weather predictions. If this thing messes up our vacation I will FREAK out!
TIA
SSS

I'd say zero. Why would you worry about a storm that is being projected to die out far off the coast of South Carolina by October 28?

Why would I freak out?! Because we really really are looking forward to this vacay for a long time. And because it seems we've had some bad vacay juju this year. So, when the local police department posts on Facebook 11 pages worth of what could be, I get nervous. Irrational, probably, nervous all the same :confused3
:)sss

Relax, it will be fine. This storm will be long gone before you leave home. There are no models out there that show it near FL or the US on Nov 2. Anyway, a day or two of rain shouldn't ruin a 10 day vacation anyway. Take ponchos, hit the indoor attractions and enjoy the small crowds. But honestly, it won't be an issue.

You are freaking out? We leave tomorrow and had Typhoon Lagoon Scheduled for Saturday (it's last day open) and now it's supposed to be heavy rains!

I agree - I would be freaking out also. Actually I am. I am scheduled to fly out of Boston at 7:10 Wednesday morning. I know they are saying the storm will be Monday and Tuesday but I am so nervous about delays and cancellations affecting my flight.
Anybody have any experiences with this? If flights on Mon and Tues are delayed or cancelled and the storm is gone by Wednesday will my flight still go? Will they try to make up all the other flights first and mine be delayed till they play catch up??
Yep, I am freaking out also...

I live int he Tampa Bay area and they are broadcasting info on Sandy alot. This thing is way away from FL and we are only getting light breezes here on the west coast. Maybe a bit stronger in WDW but not anything to worry about.
Also, our rain forecast locally is only 20% chance on Sat. Orlando weather is very close to ours so I don't see rain ruining anyone's day on Sat. Of course, it is mother nature and anything could happen but living here and seeing the forecasts, there is a better chance of a snowball.....

Now in New England next week, that could be another story from what they are saying here about the storm but it's still too soon to tell. It's all a maybe at this point for the NE.

Have fun on vacation. You should have lower humidity and nice temps next week here in FL.

Hi. We are about to go on our next WDW family trip 11/2-11 from NJ to Orlando. How freaked out should I be on a scale from 1-10 about those Sandy weather predictions. If this thing messes up our vacation I will FREAK out!
TIA
SSS

Nov 2 is over a week away, that storm will be long gone!

I'm in NJ leaving on the 1st. From everything I've read it's supposed to it us Sun/Mon if it hits at all. Later in the week looks clear.

I agree - I would be freaking out also. Actually I am. I am scheduled to fly out of Boston at 7:10 Wednesday morning. I know they are saying the storm will be Monday and Tuesday but I am so nervous about delays and cancellations affecting my flight.
Anybody have any experiences with this? If flights on Mon and Tues are delayed or cancelled and the storm is gone by Wednesday will my flight still go? Will they try to make up all the other flights first and mine be delayed till they play catch up??
Yep, I am freaking out also...

If flights are delayed or cancelled because of weather, when the weather clears, airlines try to accommodate PAX whose flights were cancelled on regularly scheduled flights as soon as possible. If you have a confirmed ticket on a flight which was not cancelled, you will not be bumped off your flight for these people. The only way this would affect you is that your flight would likely be full.

If flights are delayed or cancelled because of weather, when the weather clears, airlines try to accommodate PAX whose flights were cancelled on regularly scheduled flights as soon as possible. If you have a confirmed ticket on a flight which was not cancelled, you will not be bumped off your flight for these people. The only way this would affect you is that your flight would likely be full.

This makes me feel a little better. I am worried enough about this storm but that was stressing me out even more.

Thank you

sss said:
Continuing to freak out!:sad2:

Aww hugs and good vacation vibes. Clearly, your fear is not encountering the hurricane in Fla as a pp suggested- your concern is getting out of NJ- Philly?? I can't even guess. If I had to, I'd expect delays even into the 2nd as they catch up on flights. But shouldn't be too bad? Hopefully?

So do you think you will make it out? We were on a Nov 1 flight out of Newark and that's already cancelled. had to cancel our whole vacation...

Aw, sorry to hear you lost your vacation. Hope you get some money back towards your next one!

For those trying to fly out of Philly or NYC- any chance that instead of canceling the whole vacay you could fly out of a smaller, more inland airport? Allentown is the only one coming to mind though and MCO flights are very limited? Is there one in the Poconos? Harrisburg is pretty far... I dunno.... I'm probably being too Pollyanna, lol. So sad to cancel.

It looks like NY area airports are slowly starting to reopen- hope you can reschedule your flight even if it means a slightly shorter vacation

Thanks for the thoughts. issue is that once they cancelled our flight, every other flight is filled with people who were cancelled from mon-wed. Plus our in- laws were supposed to watch our 17 month old have no power (otherwise i would have just hopped in the car with our 5 year old).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter