Tropical Storm Erika

ThisGirlLovesDL

Earning My Ears
We're leaving on Monday, August 31st on the four night Dream cruise and it looks like we make hit a weather system. I'm starting to get worried. Has anyone been affected by a tropical storm/hurricane on their cruise? Are there alternate ports if Nassau or Castaway are directly in the storm's path?

They sail away from them.

I have had a few hurricane cruises,

The closed loop cruises starting and ending at port canaveral they changed route and ports, we had an eastern become a western and one become a double stop at castaway they kept away from the storm.

Now we had it on Panama crossings, where we dropped some ports, we had to sail close to get to the booked Panama crossing ,but that is only for those type of repos.

Cruises to Nassau may go to the South, the newer ships can't get into Key West, if it was the classics they would go there.

Since this is only a four night cruise I'm not sure where besides Nassau or Castaway they could go.

Yes on the bigger newer ones the ports are limited, they may gave a sea day first get out if the way and try to head back. In the past the Magic or Wonder would hide out in Key West.

I knew one went to Cozumel but that was it there and back.

I suppose it's possible that a Dream cruise becomes a "cruise to nowhere" if both CC and Nassau are blocked due to storms. It could just sail northeast into the Atlantic to avoid the storm and hang out until it's time to come back.

I suppose it's possible that a Dream cruise becomes a "cruise to nowhere" if both CC and Nassau are blocked due to storms. It could just sail northeast into the Atlantic to avoid the storm and hang out until it's time to come back.

Yes possible but I bet they will try for somewhere, in four days a few places are possible. I think go to safe place , hang it out, then try for castaway.

Or if the storm isn't there yet, quick call at castaway and get out if there.

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/refresh/graphics_at5+shtml/145119.shtml?5-daynl?large#contents

I don't know, I'm no meteorologist and we're still a long ways out, but experience tells me it'll probably curve away at the last minute. Still could provide some interesting Port Canaveral weather.

If you want to watch the pro and amateur meteorologists discussing it, this site is fascinating:

http://www.americanwx.com/bb/index.php/topic/46768-tropical-storm-erika/

But I suggest NOT posting unless you actually know what you're talking about. DEFINITELY do not post "will hurricane Erika affect my cruise in a week". Or if you're going to, warn me so I can get some popcorn ready. :)

This site is also fun if for some reason you really want to drive yourself crazy over it:

http://www.spaghettimodels.com/

Bump. Surprised there's not more talk about this today. I know Carnival and RCCL ships are being diverted to western Caribbean for tomorrow. Oasis got diverted to Costa Maya.

I know Carnival and RCCL ships are being diverted to western Caribbean for tomorrow. Oasis got diverted to Costa Maya.

Disney will do this and has done this for the Fantasy: switching from Eastern to Western Caribbean because of a storm. But that's for a 7-night sailing that ordinarily goes to the Western Caribbean every other week anyway. The Dream has much fewer options, since the sailings are so much shorter.

Disney will do this and has done this for the Fantasy: switching from Eastern to Western Caribbean because of a storm. But that's for a 7-night sailing that ordinarily goes to the Western Caribbean every other week anyway. The Dream has much fewer options, since the sailings are so much shorter.

I'll go ahead and ask: what do they usually do on those 4 day Dream Bahamas sailing in a situation like this? Presumably Dream will be heading towards the Bahamas in the middle of this due to the nature of her schedule.

I'll go ahead and ask: what do they usually do on those 4 day Dream Bahamas sailing in a situation like this? Presumably Dream will be heading towards the Bahamas in the middle of this due to the nature of her schedule.

I have no idea what "usual" is for this situation. What they end up doing is going to be highly dependent on the specific situation of the storm, and that will evolve and change over time. About the only thing you can know with good certainty is that they will depart an arrive at Port Canaveral as scheduled, unless they can't possibly keep to the schedule due to weather there. Everything else, including what ports they go do, alternate ports, or skipping ports for extra sea days, is completely dependent on what the storm does. For better or for worse, since the ship is completely autonomous once it leaves port, they have a high amount of flexibility, and can make decisions at the last minute based on the latest conditions. I'll repeat what I said earlier: given that the Dream sailings are short, and that alternative ports are scarce, there aren't a lot of alternatives. They can skip one of the two ports (or both), and/or re-arrange the order. I would think it unlikely that much else beyond that would happen.

I have no idea what "usual" is for this situation. What they end up doing is going to be highly dependent on the specific situation of the storm, and that will evolve and change over time. About the only thing you can know with good certainty is that they will depart an arrive at Port Canaveral as scheduled, unless they can't possibly keep to the schedule due to weather there. Everything else, including what ports they go do, alternate ports, or skipping ports for extra sea days, is completely dependent on what the storm does. For better or for worse, since the ship is completely autonomous once it leaves port, they have a high amount of flexibility, and can make decisions at the last minute based on the latest conditions. I'll repeat what I said earlier: given that the Dream sailings are short, and that alternative ports are scarce, there aren't a lot of alternatives. They can skip one of the two ports (or both), and/or re-arrange the order. I would think it unlikely that much else beyond that would happen.

This response seems oddly spiky. :) I was just asking. I'm not on an affected cruise. I do find it interesting that some paths have this storm aimed right at the Bahamas and then potentially PC after that, just wondering where else the Dream can port.

I understand that cruise ships travel faster than hurricanes.

Is that "trip to nowhere" law in place yet? Heh.

I'm a bit worried, but still trying to hope for the best. We are leaving on the Dream Friday 8/28. It's only a 3 night which really limits the possibilities of avoiding the storm...but we will have to wait and see what happens. Hoping for the best for everyone in this situation.

I'm a bit worried, but still trying to hope for the best. We are leaving on the Dream Friday 8/28. It's only a 3 night which really limits the possibilities of avoiding the storm...but we will have to wait and see what happens. Hoping for the best for everyone in this situation.
Hope it all works out for you.

I don't like this cone, it has this thing heading right in my direction. We leave in 2 1/2 weeks for Hawaii, so if we have to put shutters up for Erika, we will just keep them up while we are gone I guess. Our 23 yr old son will be happy if they have to be up before we leave because we were giving him directions in case he had to do it while we are gone.

Fingers crossed for everyone that she falls apart sooner rather than later. We need some wind shears out there like Danny hit.

I don't like this cone, it has this thing heading right in my direction. We leave in 2 1/2 weeks for Hawaii, so if we have to put shutters up for Erika, we will just keep them up while we are gone I guess. Our 23 yr old son will be happy if they have to be up before we leave because we were giving him directions in case he had to do it while we are gone.

Fingers crossed for everyone that she falls apart sooner rather than later. We need some wind shears out there like Danny hit.

Off topic, but I'm paying somebody to put ours up if needed. I'm lazy like that LOL!!! Probably the best $50 I could spend.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter