• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Tropical Storm and Disney

ls3015

Mouseketeer
Is the tropical storm in the gulf heading for florida causeing any problems for Disney, Is everything still up and running normal?:sad1:

It's only a tropical storm. There are regular summer storms that are worse then this. It will rain, maybe a bit of lightning. The parks won't close unless Andrea gets MUCH worse. They may close some outside rides like Dumbo and BTMR and the ferries if conditions aren't safe.

This is one of the best times to go to the parks because the tourists are usually scared off by named storms. However, I don't recommend driving in this unless you have lots of experience with Florida storms. They can be VERY dangerous to unsuspecting motorists.

It's only a tropical storm. There are regular summer storms that are worse then this. It will rain, maybe a bit of lightning. The parks won't close unless Andrea gets MUCH worse. They may close some outside rides like Dumbo and BTMR and the ferries if conditions aren't safe.

This is one of the best times to go to the parks because the tourists are usually scared off by named storms. However, I don't recommend driving in this unless you have lots of experience with Florida storms. They can be VERY dangerous to unsuspecting motorists.

:scared1: How are they VERY dangerous to unsuspecting motorists, please?

Some roads down here in the Orlando area don't drain very well so you have a lot of standing water on the roadways. Just make sure you slow down and watch other drivers.

This.

It can be hard to judge where the road is if it's covered in water. It's easy for people to get stuck out in the storm.

we found our last trip was the quitest, when superstorm sandy hit alot of planes werent flying out to florida and it made it quiet, we had the best MNSSHP night due to low crowds, the weather was alot cooler and im from the uk and even i was cold lol a brit being cold in florida is wrong!! lol

we had to buy jumpers when temp dropped lol i think you will be fine, just dont drive to the parks if you can help it as others have said the roads in orlando dont drain well and the rain on the road can effect breaking times. just be extra careful

have fun

Heavy rains are common in Fla very quickly it seems as if you are driving in a car wash. Hard to see the front of the car . Combine that with tourists un familar with roads and the roads become dangerous quickly.

Heavy rains are common in Fla very quickly it seems as if you are driving in a car wash. Hard to see the front of the car . Combine that with tourists un familar with roads and the roads become dangerous quickly.

This.

One of our best days in the parks, ever, was on a day a tropical storm blew through. We got so much done with so little wait. Visited three parks that day to redo our favorites before leaving town. Even got to see fireworks at MK and parade when the rain died down in the evening.

What other posters have said about the difficult visibility driving in the rain as well as the pooling water making the road difficult to judge. While we weren't going to Disney on our trip, years ago we ended up driving through the outer bands of a tropical storm and it was A LOT OF RAIN coming down. Even being fairly comfortable driving in bad storms around here, it wasn't anything compared to the poor conditions of that rain on Florida roads with lots of traffic.

BUT, if you're already at the parks and can take Disney transportation -- as well as not mind some nasty conditions to walk in -- I'd think you could make the most of your time in the parks as others have mentioned, too.

At the time of writing this, most of Central Florida including WDW, is under a tornado watch until 10 pm. They have been all morning and there have been tornado warnings nearby. This isn't normal summer rain conditions. There are reports of Disney closing the minigolf and water parks. They will also close outdoor rides when there is lightening in the area.

That isn't unusual for Sea World in this type of weather. They have to watch the safety of their animals as well. I wouldn't be surprised if DC and AK close early as well.

yes, I realize that.:) Just passing along what I read. We were in WDW during Frances and got all the info on storm preparedness from the awesome CMs at the Poly during the storm.:)

I have been told they put extra oil in the asphalt when making or retopping the roads to help them last longer (baking in the sun), and that makes them extra slippery in Florida rains. Is that true about the extra oil in the roads?

I have been told they put extra oil in the asphalt when making or retopping the roads to help them last longer (baking in the sun), and that makes them extra slippery in Florida rains. Is that true about the extra oil in the roads?

Never heard that one before. It might explain why drivers around here suddenly seem to forget how to drive when it rains.

Last summer, when I went to Disney, There was a tropical storm like this one. What they do is they put out ponchos in the store and the parks are still open. What's funny is that everyone is wearing the same poncho! XD But, there was no flooding. So they might have to close stuff down if there is floods.

Last summer, when I went to Disney, There was a tropical storm like this one. What they do is they put out ponchos in the store and the parks are still open. What's funny is that everyone is wearing the same poncho! XD But, there was no flooding. So they might have to close stuff down if there is floods.

Is it just me or is there anyone else hating these ponchos??? :rotfl2:

I once put it on on a really rainy day in July and it lasted only 10 or 15 min... Whow, these things are windproof and HOT!!! I think I was wetter than anyone else walking in the rain!!! :rolleyes1:lmao:

I once put it on on a really rainy day in July and it lasted only 10 or 15 min... Whow, these things are windproof and HOT!!! I think I was wetter than anyone else walking in the rain!!! :rolleyes1:lmao:

Yeah, those things are pretty miserable. I'd rather be rained on. LOL

We just pack an extra set of clothes and throw them in a locker. We get wet and will change before our dinner ADR. If we get wet again, well all part of the experience. It's so hot under the poncho's it makes it worse than being wet.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter