Tripods Banned?

mvf-m11c

DIS Veteran
This past weekend when I was at the Disneyland Resort with my tripod, when I was walking through the security check area, a CM security told me that I couldn't bring in my tripod in the park and have to take it back to my car, hotel, etc. I was surprised at first that a CM security told me that. I have been told by other CM's at both the DLR and WDW about the size of my tripod which is a MeFoto Roadtrip and I was able to bring it in with no problem. This is the first time that happened.

I was able to bring in my tripod one day before on Friday 6/3 but couldn't on Saturday 6/4. I thought he didn't know what tripod was legal to bring in. I know that as long as a tripod fits in a standard bag you can bring it in the park.

When I wrote to the DLR customer service about the tripod issue, I got a call back today from them and they told me that tripods are not allowed except for ones that are one foot or less and that it fits inside a standard backpack. That is what is says on the website where you can bring a tripod in as long as it fits inside a standard backpack. Here is the other thing, the CM on the phone told me that you can bring a tripod that fits inside a standard bag but the legs cannot be extended when in use. That doesn't make any sense for guests to bring a tripod in the park without extending the legs. I double checked with him about that and he told me the exact same thing.

He says that it was updated on the website but it is still the same thing on the website which says "Folding tripod stands or monopod stands that can fit inside a standard backpack are permitted." The large tripods are still not allowed in the park as usual.

Has anyone been to the DLR lately and have this kind of problem? Or is it at both DLR and WDW.

I would be interested in this as well. We will be at WDW in 2 weeks and I also have the mefoto roadtrip. I have never had a problem in the past. I read an article the other day where Tom Bricker thought the banning of tripods was coming in the near future. Please say it aint so!

I was at WDW 5/9-18 and took my Manfrotto compact. It only collapses to about 18". I walked in with it in my hand and no one said anything (I even got selected for extra security screening).

I'd love to hear some more recent reports from DLR. Bret's report has me worried, especially since it was confirmed by phone.

Some times they get it wrong. I was in WDW one time with a scooter. The name of the company was on the front big. When leaving I was told I couldn't take it out I had to drop it off. After trying to explain,loudly, it wasn't Disney Disney , and I could. Another CM heard me and to come over and explain to the other what could and could not leave the park.

You can have to scratch your head and wonder why this can,t be posted prior to reaching the gate. Sure would have avoided a confrontation. They're good at posting if you have heart condition etc etc.

This is posted at the safari ride. I asked my heart doctor who was familiar with the ride. He said sure you can no problem. They are just protecting their butts.

Not DLR but at WDW on our last day (May 14th) the CM at MK bag check told me I couldn't bring in my tripod. When I said I had brought it in for the last 10 days, he said I couldn't bring it it today. The security guy on the table one over quickly leaned over and told him no, tripods are fine, and then I was good to go in with it. So CMs do get it wrong sometimes and tend to interprete stuff into things that are really not there in writing - meaning if it says "fits into a standard backpack" they assume it can't be taller than that at all, especially if they are not familiar with tripods at all.

Going to WDW one week from today. Just wanting to make sure tripods are indeed allowed. I would HATE to have to haul it all the way back to the resort!

I had a couple of issues at WDW with my Induro tripod during my recent trip from 5/30-6/6, but they were quickly resolved. Both of which occurred on the same evening. After our son pitched a holy terror fit earlier in the afternoon, we headed back to POFQ to let him call it a day and night (He'll soon be 3 and missed his nap that day) around 5:00. After getting him settled in with the wife, I headed out to MK to photograph Wishes. Got there around 6:30ish to go to a couple of shops, grab a water, and stake my claim to a spot. Like every other day, security was a breeze and didn't bat an eye at my gear or tripod. I made it up to scan my magic band and the young lady at that station asked me to wait there while she got someone. I asked why and she said that she didn't think that tripods were allowed, but wanted to double check. She also explained that she had been there for about a week. A supervising CM came over and confirmed that my tripod was fine and asked that if I was in front of others, not to extend the center column as it could block views and to be mindful of extending the legs as it could be a tripping hazard. Very politely said and I was on my way. I didn't hold anything against the young lady since she was new.

Well, then came the photo pass lady that didn't like me. I set up at the end of Main Street USA where the round about is. Following the supervising CM's advice, I was positioned right in front of one of the large hanging baskets on a concrete stand just to the right of Cinderella's Castle. I thought, "This will be a great spot because of the basket behind me, I can extend the center column without blocking views and get above the crowd." I spread the tripod legs about 60% of the way and had two of them on top of the curb to try and prevent the legs from sticking out so far. I was running through some test shots about 7:30 when a photo pass CM came up and told that I couldn't have my tripod on the curb because I was in the flowers. Keep in mind I was on the correct side of the railing as well. I explained the conversation that I had with a supervising CM earlier and was told that it didn't matter now that I was in the park and for me to either move my tripod or I would be asked to leave. So move it I did. I set it up directly next to the curb and spread the legs out 100% and took up a nice spot that 4 people could have easily stood in. She came back by not once, not twice, but three times to make sure I wasn't in the flowers. The last time was about 30 minutes before the electrical parade and she commented on the amount of room I was taking up and that other guests could stand there. I told her that I was following her directions and moved my tripod. If she wanted to continue the discussion with a supervisor, I'd be more than happy to wait there while she found one. If not, I'm sure that she had her own pictures to take and I'd take mine. I never saw her or a supervisor again.

Last edited:
I had a couple of issues at WDW with my Induro tripod during my recent trip from 5/30-6/6, but they were quickly resolved. Both of which occurred on the same evening. After our son pitched a holy terror fit earlier in the afternoon, we headed back to POFQ to let him call it a day and night (He'll soon be 3 and missed his nap that day) around 5:00. After getting him settled in with the wife, I headed out to MK to photograph Wishes. Got there around 6:30ish to go to a couple of shops, grab a water, and stake my claim to a spot. Like every other day, security was a breeze and didn't bat an eye at my gear or tripod. I made it up to scan my magic band and the young lady at that station asked me to wait there while she got someone. I asked why and she said that she didn't think that tripods were allowed, but wanted to double check. She also explained that she had been there for about a week. A supervising CM came over and confirmed that my tripod was fine and asked that if I was in front of other, not to extend the center column as it could block views and to be mindful of extending the legs as it could be a tripping hazard. Very politely said and I was on my way. I didn't hold anything against the young lady since she was new.

Well, then came the photo pass lady that didn't like me. I set up at the end of Main Street USA where the round about is. Following the supervising CM's advice, I was positioned right in front of one of the large hanging baskets on a concrete stand just to the right of Cinderella's Castle. I thought, "This will be a great spot because of the basket behind me, I can extend the center column without blocking views and get above the crowd." I spread the tripod legs about 60% of the way and had to of them on top of the curb to try and prevent the legs from sticking out so far. I was running through some test shots about 7:30 when a photo pass CM came up and told that I couldn't have my tripod on the curb because I was in the flowers. Keep in mind I was on the correct side of the railing as well. I explained the conversation that I had with a supervising CM earlier and was told that it didn't matter now that I was in the park and for me to either move my tripod or I would be asked to leave. So move it I did. I set it up directly next to the curb and spread the legs out 100% and took up a nice spot that 4 people could have easily stood in. She came back by not once, not twice, but three times to make sure I wasn't in the flowers. The last time was about 30 minutes before the electrical parade and she commented on the amount of room I was taking up and that other guest could stand there. I told her that I was following her directions and moved my tripod. If she wanted to continue the discussion with a supervisor, I'd be more than happy to wait there while she found one. If not, I'm sure that she had her own pictures to take and I'd take mine. I never saw her or a supervisor again.

Interesting.

And I hope that if they ask me not to extend the center column on my tripod, I sure as heck hope they ask the people in front of me not to put any kids on their shoulders.

Interesting.

And I hope that if they ask me not to extend the center column on my tripod, I sure as heck hope they ask the people in front of me not to put any kids on their shoulders.

Yup. It's much easier to see around my camera than a pre-schooler on his dad's shoulders. Heck, I'm vertically challenged, can they just ask the people who stand in front of me not to be taller than I am?

I am very unhappy to hear about these tripod issues. I have an adults only trip planned for Sept., and fireworks photos (as well as other nighttime shots) are a key part of my plans.

Thanks for the responses. We were last there in Dec and had no issues but things seem to be changing on a daily basis. I plan to try and get some shots of Wishes on a couple different nights. I totally agree with the kids on parents shoulders and another thing is holding ipads up in the air....that is worse than a tripod in my opinion.

Oh my. This sounds like Universal is slowly coming over to Disney.... Explanation: I had zero issues with my tripod at WDW during our trip in May except for that little incident I mentioned above. Universal, however, was a completely different story. I had heard before that they were telling certain people to not bring in tripods. I had already resorted to just bring the Gorillapod anyways since I couldn't pack both my camera backpack and the tripod into Universal's free ride lockers and I didn't want to get two. So one morning I had a nice chat with a security guard at the side entrace coming from the Hard Rock Hotel. He started talking to me while the other guard checked my bag and those of my kids. He had seen my photography equipment and was suggesting nice photo locations and such. We were the only ones at the security check so I figured, why not probe the guy for some insights if he's willing to talk. Up came the tripod question. He said no, not banned, however they were having a "bad guy" list of locals coming in repeatedly who have shown bad behavior in the parks. They are told not to bring in their tripods. They issues were mostly rude behavior towards both guests and security in the two Harry Potter areas. They are packed, tight, and narrow and some people were apparently more than just rude and disrespectful to the point that they had to be removed. They were yelling at other guests for ruining shots, disobeying security when they were told to move their tripods because they were tripping hazards or told to leave because the area was closed and pulling the "I have the right to stand where I want and take pictures of what I want and you cannot make me" card. He told me about an incident at Diagon Alley the day before where some local got into a shouting match with a security guard about his tripod being a tripping hazard. Lo and behold, a few days later, I had to witness an incident at Diagon Alley myself where security was clearing the area. I asked the security guard nicely if I could take a last pic, he told me to be quick. While gathering the kids and their stuff, I saw this guy with a tripod set up in the middle of Diagon Alley. He was having a heated argument with another security guard who told him to pack up and leave. I couldn't hear much of what they were talking but the guy was unwilling to break down his tripod and leave. So the security guard just stood in front of the camera blocking the shot. All the while, I am packing up, having a nice chat with the other security guard, we're bothing shaking our heads. He walked with us all the way to Transformers, and I was able to bring out the Gorillapod once in a while to take a few pictures. I always asked if I should stop and take a picture and he only told me no once (which I think was because the other guy could still see us).

Now, I have not seen any of this behavior at WDW but I can only imagine if these people are going to Universal, they are probably also to be found at WDW. So in essence, there's always those few that have to ruin it for everyone.

Hey, I use a rented scooter. Had the name of the rental company on the front. Upon leaving a cast member insisted I had to turn it in. Wouldn't budge. Another cast member had to come over and straighten him out.

I remember when I worked Main Street Opps they informed us guests should only be using monopods during the fireworks if they were in the hub or on the parade route. Never questioned it that was just what management said in the briefing that day. I didn't say anything to any photographers though because I was too busy wih bigger problems like crowd safety and keeping traffic flowing. This was in 2013.

UPDATE...used my tripod last night for wishes with no problems at all...well I should say except for the woman behind me complaining about it. I just dont see how a tripod is any worse than the kid on a parents shoulders.

To me the most annoying part is NOT can you or can't you.... but the fact that you can not "seem" to get a clear, consistent answer....

I can understand the inconsistent answer from CMs issue. I work as a call center trainer, and you get complaints all the time about how one call center agent said X, and another said Y. The agents have to memorize a LOT of information so they will make mistakes.

Well if it's any consolation, you'll get pretty good at street & freestyle shooting in no time... I wonder why monopods but not tripods are allowed -- is it due to the larger footprint of the tripod?

At Disneyland, tripods are not allowed, but it doesn't stop people from sneaking certain unconventional/small tripods in. I have one of these cheap flexible tripods that are a few inches in height but can fold/bend into an inconspicuous object, and that passed security about 10 months ago. It was probably too small for them to care.

I was able to bring small stabilizers/rigs and shotgun mics in for video purposes.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter