• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Tripod suggestions please...

BigGreen73

DIS Veteran
Just tried packing my Tripod and it doesn't fit in my carry on..bummer...anyway any suggestions on some good compact tripods that would be really good for WDW would be great. It needs to be sturdy enough for my DSLT (A55) and lens (16-50mm f2.8 and 18-250mm). Thanks! Oh yeah, and I am tall at 6'4".

I just bought a Slik Sprint Pro II tripod. It is super light and compact. Extended max height is 64 inches. Add a camera on top and you are probably looking at about 68 inches max for the viewfinder. Not too much of a stoop. I've set it up at home, and feels very stable with my Canon t3i and 200mm f/2.8 on it. I wouldn't want to go any heavier than that though.

Check out the benro travel angels, I am pleased with mine.

Might be worth mentioning in your post that the tripod is $850? Not that the OP doesn't want to spend that much, but I think there's a 95% chance that one's outside of their price range.

When you buy cheap, you buy twice. Get the good stuff the first time around and it will last a long time.

When you buy cheap, you buy twice. Get the good stuff the first time around and it will last a long time.

Right on. If I waited until I could spend $850 on a travel tripod I'd never have one at all though. The only way I could justify spending more than $300 on a tripod is if I made a sizeable portion of my income from photography.

Of course, if you told me I would spend $900 on a lens for my camera 5 years ago, I would've told you you were crazy. But I did just that a few months ago.

I definitely don't advocate buying the cheapest, or even cheap, but I certainly fall in the "good enough" camp on a lot of things. The $850 tripod sounds ludicrous to me, but I may be out of touch. If I bought it I would throw up thinking about the glass it coulda got me instead.

No disrespect, just a little sticker shock at your suggestion.

I definitely don't advocate buying the cheapest, or even cheap, but I certainly fall in the "good enough" camp on a lot of things. The $850 tripod sounds ludicrous to me, but I may be out of touch. If I bought it I would throw up thinking about the glass it coulda got me instead.

sounds ludicrous to me too!

Right on. If I waited until I could spend $850 on a travel tripod I'd never have one at all though. The only way I could justify spending more than $300 on a tripod is if I made a sizeable portion of my income from photography.

Of course, if you told me I would spend $900 on a lens for my camera 5 years ago, I would've told you you were crazy. But I did just that a few months ago.

I agree w/ you there. There are a lot of good quality Tripods out there that can be had for $100-$200. The only way that I would ever pay more that that for a Tripod is if, like you said, I made a sizeable portion of my income from photography. And since it's not....

The Tripod that I have now is a $50 one that I picked up from Walmart. I picked it up when I picked up my camera last year. It was my 1st "real" tripod and has been great. No complaints. I have used it for nature pics, pics at the beach, uneven surfaces, level surfaces etc. It is very solid and extends to 6 ft, has a quick release and liquid levels. :thumbsup2

I was just hoping to get some suggestions on compact tripods that are solid and decent quality that I wouldn't mind lugging around the parks. The one I have isn't huge,and I was able to pack it in my carry on with some creative packing, but I would not want to carry it around the parks.

I would like to find something that would easily fit in a back pack. Been looking at the Heavy duty Gorilla pods made for DSLR w/ the ball heads but who knows? Still open to suggestions...:upsidedow

I totally agree with you William. Buy the tripod right above the one you can afford. You can buy once or spend more over time buying several times. I do not own a tripod including head that is less than $800. I never understand why someone would trust their thousands of dollars camera and lens to a $75-150 dollar tripod.

I personally have had several near misses with a manfroto style camera plate and head. I was convinced it was attached and it was not. I now use arca swiss style RRS heads and plates. I always know that the camera is going no where. I have never read or heard from anyone complaining about a RRS head, plate, or tripod.

Might be worth mentioning in your post that the tripod is $850? Not that the OP doesn't want to spend that much, but I think there's a 95% chance that one's outside of their price range.

That being said I also do understand the above comment. We all have our budgets based on our individual circumstances. I remember the sticker shock I felt when I paid $400 for my first Nikon F2. That was in 1974! I was seventeen at the time.

We are all blessed today with the popularity with digital photography that as we are able to move up. There are good opportunities to sell our stuff as used. Particularly quality glass. They hold value very well when taken care of.

So you may need to buy aluminum rather than carbon fiber. Once you carry it around you will then crave carbon fiber. The first time the plate comes loose or the head ball will not hold or you cannot get it in the position you want you will look at a better quality head. When you have it set up and the leg gives way and you knew it was secure you will look at better quality tripods!

It does not have to cost $800 but William uses full frame camera bodies costing thousands and the lenses he uses approach the cost of the body. Don't think bad of him for wanting to protect his investment. Many agree with him.

I don't make money from my photography, but do travel a lot and invested in expensive Gitzo carbon fiber tripod legs and the Really Right Stuff ballhead and L-plates several years ago. No regrets, after recovering from sticker shock. So, do believe the high end tripods are a good investment if you have thousands already invested in camera equipment.

That said, I too have been looking for a more compact tripod setup for use at places like Disney. I've looked at the Velbon and a couple others, but not sure it will work with the RRS ballhead.

There is a compact Gitzo available for about $500, but even that is more than I want to spend for a tripod that will be used a few times a year - so I can understand where the OP is coming from.

Would love to find something workable for less than $300.

We all have our budgets based on our individual circumstances.

It does not have to cost $800 but William uses full frame camera bodies costing thousands and the lenses he uses approach the cost of the body. Don't think bad of him for wanting to protect his investment. Many agree with him.

I don't think "badly" of William but his suggestion of a $850 tripod seems wildly inappropriate for the OP who is looking for a compact traveling tripod.
I belong to a photo club with lots of members, Sure, the serious birders with their $6,000 lens and $3,000 cameras have the best heavy duty tripods but surprisingly most use ordinary tripods that cost anywhere $100 - $300 and they get great pics from those inexpensive tripods.

I just get the cheapest tripod available. That way I don't care if it gets lost or damaged. At worse I'm out $20.

But then I'll grant that I'm pretty rough on my equipment in general and it's useable life is pretty limited.

I just get the cheapest tripod available. That way I don't care if it gets lost or damaged. At worse I'm out $20.

But then I'll grant that I'm pretty rough on my equipment in general and it's useable life is pretty limited.
Pretty limited, especially if you go as cheap as possible. I had a cheap tripod or two and both came apart on me -- one fell apart in the parks. I was able to repair that one and keep it going a while longer using two-part epoxy and a little experience, but I'll never buy another el-cheapo again. I may not get the most expensive tripod available, but I won't get one that isn't at least pretty darn good.

I understand the reaction to William's suggestion -- it's hard to stomach spending so much on what most consider an accessory, which in itself will not produce an image (i.e., it isn't glass nor a camera body) -- if you read William's blog, you'd find he had a similar reaction to the price himself. But if you're serious about the sort of photos that require a tripod, it makes sense to get the best, or at least the very best you can manage. For those who are just dabbling -- almost any tripod is better than no tripod at all. I'm thinking my position is to get a decent tripod -- maybe no more than $300 and no less than half that -- while you learn and save for a really good one. You're minimizing your extra expense without breaking the bank at the get-go -- kind of like renting a place to live before you buy a house. Financially, all other things being equal, it usually makes more sense to buy. But there are all kinds of reasons that make renting make sense -- if it is a stepping stone to buying.

SSB

I've been very happy with the Promaster SystemPro Classic Combi 25 with a 591c ball head I recently purchased. I'm not going to recommend the specific tripod to the OP, because I think it's larger than it sounds like they want. What I will recommend, though, is getting a ball-head mount. I'm in love with this feature, and wouldn't want to ever go back to a traditional head.

I've not been able to sign on for a couple of days, so I'm just catching up now.

Look, folks. If you ask for a recommendation, you're going to get opinions. I gave my recommendation for a good tripod that met the criteria specified. As a result, someone thought that was somehow "inappropriate."

Give me a break. It was a product suggestion. If you don't want it, don't buy it. The notion that I would be chastised for suggesting something inappropriate should be reserved for vulgarity or farting in church.

Recommending a good travel tripod on a message board requesting recommendations for a travel tripod is NOT inappropriate.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter