Tripod for Disney fireworks?

ella6599

Mouseketeer
I love taking pictures of fireworks...and what better fireworks than Disney! I told my husband that I wanted to take a tripod, and he thought I was nuts (for the extra weight). I'm wondering if I could be nuts for a different reason- the crowds! Am I crazy to think of even trying to set up a tripod anywhere that would be a decent firework viewing spot, with all the crowds around? I'll be in the parks November 12-16, if that makes a difference...

pictures taken with Bogen Manfrotto tripod (that thing ain't light) and I carried it everywhere. Don't get a light tripod because even the sound from the fireworks explosion WILL shake the tripod. I strongly recommend Manfrotto MODO Maxi (around US$80), relatively light but relatively solid too.

here's the spec:
Max load 2.2lbs (1kg)
Max height 50 in (127 cm)
Max height w/Column 59.2 in (150.5 cm)
Min height 6.9 in (17.5 cm)
Closed length 17.1 in (43.5 cm)
Weight 2.16 lbs (0.98 kg)

Wishes.jpg

MGM.jpg

6c4a5672.jpg

656be906.jpg

for more info about how to choose a tripod, please refer to the second link in my signature.

a lowly Canon 300D, Sigma 18-125 lens, Manfrotto 290A tripod. For the exact settings, kindly check the EXIF, I currently don't have an EXIF reader installed. Sorry

We've got a Velbon Ultra Maxi-F (Maxi-F) , which is less than a kg in weight, and comes in a bag with a strap, so is relatively easy to carry around. Perosnally, I always carry it attached to our camera bag, which helps spread the weight.

I've taken a few pics without using a tripod, and it is definitely much harder to get the whole of the pic in focus, but, if you only take fireworks and not other structures you can get away with it. The other thing to consider, is a small tripod and try and find a spot where you can put on a wall or a bin to get a good shot.

As an example, the first of the two pics below is taken handheld, and whilst I perosnally think that the fireworks are fine, you can see that the globe is slightly out of focus. The second is taken with the camera on a "tower" of plastic tables from a balcony, which as you can see enables you to get everything in focus.
epcotfire.jpg

Pics332.jpg

For Disney I got myself a travel tripod off amazon.com. Is a Sunpak Compact Feather-Light Tripod I believe it was $25. My review of it is on the amazon.com link. It is JUST tall enought for the camera to see over the fences at Disney for long exposure waterfall pics at AK and the spot I had for Illuminations at Epcot. At MK I just put the tripod (without the lengs extended) on top of a trash can for Wishes. It was very easy to carry around either in my backpack or holding at night with the camera on it.

All these pics (and more) were taken with this tripod:
DSC_1679.jpg

DSC_1252.jpg

DSC_0885.jpg

DSC_0859.jpg

Kelly Grannell said:
LOL! thanks for the compliment.

Do you actually know how to use all those things? I have a 7.2mp Sony that I have trouble with sometimes!!!! Love your avatar btw.

:dance3: :dance3: :dance3:

Kyle, some nice pics. Tripod looks quite similar dimensions to mine when at un-extended, they are handy at that size to carry around aren't they. Not like some of the old ones which weigh a ton!

Boss Hogg said:
Kyle, some nice pics. Tripod looks quite similar dimensions to mine when at un-extended, they are handy at that size to carry around aren't they. Not like some of the old ones which weigh a ton!

Thank you. Yes its very handy. I actually have 2 other "regular" size tripods, but folded up for storage they are well over 20" long. Granted when fully extended they are a lot taller as well, but they don't make a good travel companion. Not sure what I'll do a few years down the road when the kids are past stroller age. I now have a vest for my stuff instead of the backpack. For now I can stow the tripod in the stroller. Maybe some sort of belt holster will be needed. That wont be to bad, it will look like I'm carring around a light saber. :darth:

handicap18 said:
I now have a vest for my stuff instead of the backpack.
Guess that's the advantage of using a backpack, my Lowepro has a straps on the base of the bag to carry it, and like I said with ours it also come with a nylon bag which you can put over your shoulder if you want.

I've also a "normal" tripod which is something similar to the size you mention, but, can't imagine using it now as our Velbon can extend to 180cm and whilst not as sturdy as a "normal" tripod it is good enough for my requirements (and if yoou don't extend fully it is stronger), especially as I've got a remote so don't need to touch the camera to set it off.

handicap18, your first pic betters mine by far. It's astonishing!

ntsammy5, yeah I kinda have to know how to use it because sometimes I get paid to use those gears :p LOL!

Kelly Grannell said:
handicap18, your first pic betters mine by far. It's astonishing!
It would be interesting to see the info. for each picture to see how they compare as they are so similar in composition.

Out of interest where are the both taken from? The railroad station at the end of Main Street?

I was at the 2nd trashcan in front of Casey's Corner going towards the castle. Which is probably about 40 feet or so further back from where Kelly's was taken. If you look closly at the bottom part of the castle in my pic you can see a black verticle spot. That is the last lamp post before you get to the 'rotary' where the statue of Walt & Mickey are. I'm guessing that that is about the spot where Kelly took hers.

This pic will give you a better idea of where I was. This was part of the finale. 5 second exposure and is overexposed. The finale is very hard to get good pics. Way to much light.
DSC_1689.jpg

Kelly, thank you for the compliment. I like the color of the castle much better in yours. I thought a while back that combining your pic and mine would make the best. Your color and the addition of the extra burst in mine. That would be perfect.

Thanks for the info Handicap. I thought looking at both yours and Kellys pic they were taken from a higher level which made me think the railroad station.

That having been said, I guess I should have thought about it a bit more.

Geez 5 sec. is a long time, not surprising it's hard to get. Guess you could darken a bit in Photoshop or similar, what was the first pic taken at? Don't recall going much above 1.5 sec for a firework pic, but none of mine have the same sort of "movement" as yours have.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter