Tripod Etiquette

CairnsGirl

Earning My Ears
Hi everyone,

I am traveling to WDW for my first trip in September. I would like to take some night time shots of Spectromagic and also the fireworks.

What is the proper etiquette for tripod use during these events? Do people get annoyed at you for setting up tripods along parade routes?

You help would be greatly appreciated as I would like to do the right thing:)

Hi everyone,

I am traveling to WDW for my first trip in September. I would like to take some night time shots of Spectromagic and also the fireworks.

What is the proper etiquette for tripod use during these events? Do people get annoyed at you for setting up tripods along parade routes?

You help would be greatly appreciated as I would like to do the right thing:)

My general rule would be, get there first and if you aren't first, don't set up in front of someone already waiting. My second rule would be if there is a little kid, give him/her enough room to stand in front of my tripod if it doesn't interfere with my photos.

That said, I really don't think you'll need a tripod for Spectro unless you plan to do an artistic long exposure of it that we've seen a few times around here.

That said, I really don't think you'll need a tripod for Spectro unless you plan to do an artistic long exposure of it that we've seen a few times around here.

I agree with this as well. You need to keep the shutter speed fast enough to prevent the subject motion from creating blur. With it that fast, you are fast enough to not need a tripod.

Thank you for your replies.

I am actually just a beginner in the DSLR camera use.

I will have to try and find a good spot to set up for some fireworks shots.

Thanks again:)

I agree as well. Any time I plan to use the tripod, I allow lots of extra time to set up early so anyone who chooses a spot behind me knows what they are choosing. If it's a place where people will actually sit during the show, I try to choose the spot at which I think the sitters will end and the standers will begin. I recall doing this for the castle lighting at WDW.

I will add a recent experience I had at Mickey's Very Merry Christmas Party. I had set my tripod up on the backside of the Partners statue, right where the hub and the road meet. Now I got there between an hour and a half to two hours before anything started, and set my tripod up. At this time there was nobody behind me. About 15 minutes before the fireworks started a man came up to me and asked if I was aware of all of the people I was blocking behind me. I was standing next to a very nice man who I had been talking with for about 30-45 minutes and he spoke up for me and said "We got here well before everyone else, and that they saw us standing here when they chose their spots." The man looked at me and just made a comment to the effect of "Well, I just didn't think that you would have done that if you were aware of all the people you were blocking." and then he walked off. Now then, once the show was about to start I did compromise and sit down so that I didn't block anyone but I left my tripod set up. And wouldn't you know it, 3/4 of the way through the fireworks my batteries started messing up and I missed the last 1/4 of the show. So be prepared, you may have people say something to you even if you ARE the first to show up.

I will add a recent experience I had at Mickey's Very Merry Christmas Party. I had set my tripod up on the backside of the Partners statue, right where the hub and the road meet. Now I got there between an hour and a half to two hours before anything started, and set my tripod up. At this time there was nobody behind me. About 15 minutes before the fireworks started a man came up to me and asked if I was aware of all of the people I was blocking behind me. I was standing next to a very nice man who I had been talking with for about 30-45 minutes and he spoke up for me and said "We got here well before everyone else, and that they saw us standing here when they chose their spots." The man looked at me and just made a comment to the effect of "Well, I just didn't think that you would have done that if you were aware of all the people you were blocking." and then he walked off. Now then, once the show was about to start I did compromise and sit down so that I didn't block anyone but I left my tripod set up. And wouldn't you know it, 3/4 of the way through the fireworks my batteries started messing up and I missed the last 1/4 of the show. So be prepared, you may have people say something to you even if you ARE the first to show up.

That IS a tough call, but I'd rather have that happen than to accidentally block someone's way who had gotten there ahead of me. If it was the fireworks show, the view from that close is UP, so would that really block them?

Honestly though, I can't imagine saying "Excuse me, but we all came up and stood behind you and you should know you're blocking our view."

I try to setup well in advance also so that everyone is forewarmed. I look behind me and if there are any children or people in wheelchairs I may be blocking. I'll welcome them to go in front of me and quite often they do.

That IS a tough call, but I'd rather have that happen than to accidentally block someone's way who had gotten there ahead of me. If it was the fireworks show, the view from that close is UP, so would that really block them?

Honestly though, I can't imagine saying "Excuse me, but we all came up and stood behind you and you should know you're blocking our view."

I can't tell you the number of times I have been posted up somewhere well in advance only to have some family come up at the last minute and attempt to squeeze me out.

I wish the other guests extended the etiquette as much as the photographers do. An example, on this last trip I was late getting to Main Street. Something about having to hang out with my family!:rotfl2: Heaven forbid! Everyone was pretty much in place and I was looking for an unobtrusive place to set up. I found a trash can just before Casey's with no one around. I set my tripod on top of the can. It wasn't the best place because I had to shoot around the extended facade. You can see it in my photos on my thread. Shortly into the show, a boy showed and started swinging around the adjacent light pole kicking the trash can!:eek: He was not watching the show, just swinging on the pole. Three times I politely asked him to stop. I never saw his parents and finally he ran off. Between hanging onto the trashcan, camera, re-leveling and recomposing, I didn't have enough hands. I was fortunate to get any shots!

I can't tell you the number of times I have been posted up somewhere well in advance only to have some family come up at the last minute and attempt to squeeze me out.

No doubt, but people do this whether you have a tripod or not! I finally just decided I would do everything in my power to be considerate ahead of time, then stand my ground and not let comments from late-comers bother me.

The only ones that DO bother me are the ones who walk right up and stand in front of the tripod, or hoist their child on their shoulders right in front of the camera. I got to my spot in front of the castle at DL a full 2 HOURS before fireworks time. So I was really close. They roped off in front of the castle and I was on the edge of the curb right in front of the castle with only the road between me and the rope. Not a lot of room to block behind me because it was roped off for VIP seating. I moved just enough to the side not to block the seating. Someone STILL walked up at the last minute and put his child on his shoulders in front of me. (Fortunately slightly to the side). But really...... They were like 3 rows of people back from the castle, and the show is UP. My daughter stood beside me and never had trouble seeing. If they needed a better view, all they had to do was walk over behind me in that space in the hub and the view would have been PERFECT, especially with the added height of the curb. And it was't like there was no room!

I totally agree with those who say that the non-photographers should show the same level of courtesy that the photographers do! My pet peeve is the people who decide at some point that they've seen "enough" of Wishes, and then plow through the crowd to make their exit. If it's possible, it's good to have someone stand right in front of your tripod (out of the way of the shot, of course), and "play defense", steering people away from a collision course with the tripod.

the few times I have brought my tripod, I set up near a railing in one of the side areas. If I can set it up over the railing on the grass even better!

Im still trying to figure why the places people have to stand up to see the fireworks? Never use to do that when I was little and going to MK. My mom who is normally in her wheelchair then has a hard time seeing if we are out on Main Street and I hear kids saying they cant see because too many tall people around.

Ooooh! I LIKE this question!

First of all everything they say about last minute people blocking you is true. These late comers often have the attitude of "me first" and they have no qualms about standing it front of you, or in my case, attempting to push my tripod over with a stroller to make room for themselves! They will also give you the business about how You are blocking EVERYBODY ELSE so YOU need to move it..... ( so They can do the blocking ;) )

This was the main reason why I set up in front of the railing by the Crystal Palace. No one is allowed on the grass on the other side of the railing and the Cast members will shoo them away when they undoubtedly climb over the fence to stand in front of you on that grass!

I actually brought a length of yellow CAUTION tape from Home Depot and I tied it to the railing-tripod-other side of railing for about 3 feet to keep people from squeezing in and bumping my camera which they or the fidgety kids they are with invariably do. I only took up enough space for the 3 of us just to be considerate to everyone else.

I arrived at my spot close to 2 hours early and I set this rig up strategically right next to one of the black lamp posts a foot away to my side. I sent my husband and son off to get closer to the Spectro Magic parade since my location was too far away to see that. I gave them strict instructions to get back to me as soon as the parade was over so they could body block on my right and left sides because I knew people would be absolutely cramming in up to that fence.

Being the dense one in the family, my husband didn't "get it" and leisurely hoofed it over after a bathroom break and some other distractions. The number of people jockeying for better position was astounding. The late comers cared not whether the early people had staked out a spot and just pushed and squeezed in front of them with no shame.

My husband and son finally made it back and I put them in position, holding lenses for a swap out and other equipment. I know I said a number of times to late people who were complaining about my 3 feet of space that I had been there for close to 2 hours in advance and if you want a better view then they needed to get there earlier so they wouldn't have walk in front of all the other people who had been waiting.

Keep in mind it's always the last minute people who try to pull this crap but you are also surrounded by other people who have been waiting hours and the "mob mentality" is on your side.

I made the mistake of letting a late comer family (who hopped the fence and were busted by Cast members) have their kids stand in front of my taller son in return for the promise that they wouldn't touch the tripod. The 7 y.o. boy couldn't keep his hands off of it and I had to ask repeatedly in a nice way for him to stop. Thank God his parents intervened and made him stop.

So the morale of this story is don't let this happen to you. Choose a spot where you have the best chance of no one standing in front of the camera. Get there early. Set up and defend your turf. Be prepared for an unbelievable show of lack of consideration and poor manners. Don't be tempted to cut the kids a break because it could back fire on you. If it was so important then their parents should have made it a priority to get the better views earlier.

The good news is that I spent the whole 2 hours experimenting with my camera for exposure settings and lens types so I was ready when the show started and I needed to make fast final adjustments (and you will!)

I have read so many stories of people getting set up early only to realize they have the worst spot due to the last minute rush of people. I spent a lot of time trying to figure out the best spot with the least amount of problems and at the time the Crystal palace seemed like the best choice.

I'll include some of my pictures below so you can see what that spot encompasses.

Good luck!
:hug:
Marlton Mom

The bridge to adventure land is to my left maybe about 25 to 30 feet away.

This is now zoomed in and you can see that the fireworks are not centered but I didn't mind that as much.

What I did was take a front and center "beauty shot" of the Castle after the fire works. I then photo shopped in my best fireworks exposures into the beauty shot to get this picture.

the few times I have brought my tripod, I set up near a railing in one of the side areas. If I can set it up over the railing on the grass even better!

Im still trying to figure why the places people have to stand up to see the fireworks? Never use to do that when I was little and going to MK. My mom who is normally in her wheelchair then has a hard time seeing if we are out on Main Street and I hear kids saying they cant see because too many tall people around.

We just got back from Disneyland and they actually make an announcement just prior to the fireworks starting saying that they require you to stand to view it. I'm sure there's an interesting reason for this. Can't remember if it's that way for WDW or not...

We just got back from Disneyland and they actually make an announcement just prior to the fireworks starting saying that they require you to stand to view it. I'm sure there's an interesting reason for this. Can't remember if it's that way for WDW or not...

they can fit in about twice as many people standing as they can sitting.

I'm guessing it's to avoid accidents caused by people walking and tripping over people that are sitting on the ground

I'm guessing it's to avoid accidents caused by people walking and tripping over people that are sitting on the ground

On a separate trip than the one I mentioned on the previous page, I actually set up my tripod in the dead center of Main Street just past Casey's. This time, to my amusement, several people tried to come up to me and hand me their photopass card so I could take their picture and I had to let them know that I wasn't a photopass photographer (no matter how badly I wish I was.) Well, once Main Street got crammed I did not have a problem at all but DW was sitting over on the curb holding onto my camera bag and lenses, where she struck up a coversation with a very nice lady. While talking with this lady, another female (and I intentionally chose not to use the word "lady" here) tried to come through with her stroller to leave the park!! :scared1: Here we are MAYBE 20 minutes before Wishes and she's trying to leave with a stroller down a crammed Main Street. Well, she proceeded to try and go past DW where she then looks down and kicks my camera bag out of her way. Fortunately I did not see this, but I did not have to as it turns out. The very lady and DW almost pounced on her like a spider monkey for me!! :lmao:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter