• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Trip with a newborn & toddler

alicia080979

DIS Veteran
After my other thread deciding to go or not, we have decided to go on with our trip as planned. If you haven't seen my other thread, we are foster parents hoping to adopt and have 2 little ones, the most recent less than 2 weeks old and we had about 12 hours notice we were getting her. We will have an 18 mo old and 5 week old on our upcoming trip. I have searched threads and read but still have questions so hoping others can help.

Does anyone have a packing list that includes newborn & toddler items to bring?

I am trying to figure out the stroller/carrier situation. Being late Sept. we know it will be super hot. Our Ergo is going to be too hot for our baby girl so now I am not sure what to do. Can I just hold her on rides like PP, HM, Pirates, Safari, Pooh, TSM, etc.? I was hoping for a carrier, wrap, or something for that extra feeling of security but if I can't find something that I like and can get used to in 3 weeks...is it okay to just hold them? Is that safe enough?

Stroller situation. We just ordered our City Select and will have 2 seats, a bassinet and car seat adapter. Originally when we just had our little guy, I was going to rent a stroller so I didn't have to worry about ours being stolen but we are just going to buy a lock for the front or back wheels and hope it doesn't get stolen. Ideally I would like her to be able to lay down in her bassinet but I am wondering if people do that in amusement parks. Is it safe? I don't like the idea of her sweating scrunched up in a hot seat for a few hours a day. I don't think she is big enough for the regular seat although I did see someone post an insert for strollers so newborns can lay in them. Any suggestions here? We will have our car and likely only take the bus to MK but if it is a pain, then we will drive there as well.

I am ordering sun hats and 2 stroller fans for the kids and bought a bunch of thin, one piece, sleeveless/legless outfits for the baby to help keep her cool. We already own Chill pads so will have those & a misting fan for sure. We are planning to hit the parks early, leave for the heat of the day and then go back in the evening if everyone is up for it.

Harness/leash...any suggestions for a great harness or leash for our little guy. He shows signs of RAD (reactive attachment disorder- Disinhibited behavior) and will run, go to or seek out any random stranger to pick him up so in those types of crowds that is very scary to us. Obviously we are trying very hard to curb that behavior but I feel like for times he isn't in a stroller, he is going to need some sort of harness just to keep him from running to a stranger.

I am sure I will think of more questions but for now that is all. Any and all help is much appreciated!

I wouldn't bother with the lock. Disney will cut or break them if they need to move your stroller and isn't liable for any damage in the process. (I've learned this from many previous threads on the Dis boards).

We have one of the Eddie Bauer monkey backpack/harness for our 17 month old. He doesn't mind it at all. It soft and cuddly. He even loves to hug it in the car. The "leash" part clips on and off.

Congrats on the new little one :lovestruc

To answer your questions...

Packing - I no longer have our list (we took DD at 4 months), but some of the items we had were:
- diapers, wipes, desitin, scented diaper trash bags (Sassy brand blue bags)
- swaddle blankets
- bottles and formula dispensers (we premeasured the water and the mylicon drops into the bottles and the powdered formula into the dispensers before we left for the parks)
- snot sucker and saline spray, thermometer
- bibs, burp cloths, change of clothes, light blanket
- Purell (for the adults) - we used the stuff religiously and DD still managed to pick up a stomach bug during our trip.
For the toddler: disposable placemats, snacks, sippy cup (Playtex has a great insulated straw cup with a built in cap),

For the stroller/carrier situation...
Its great that you have the bassinet for the stroller, I think that will come in handy for naps and letting her stretch out. If your stroller isn't huge and the restaurant isn't very crowded, you can ask at check in if you can bring the stroller. (The only place we ever had a problem was at Le Chefs de France in Epcot since the place is small and the tables were really crammed together).

You said you were concerned with overheating in the Ergo and with wraps, but have you seen the Baby Bjorn Air carrier? I used that with DD when she was really little and she never overheated in it. Its all mesh so its very breathable. I was able to wear her on all the rides in the bjorn. I took her on TSM (at 4 months) and held her head/neck in between scene changes when the car gets whipped around. At 5 weeks, though, I might be a bit hesitant to do that. You can usually find the bjorns for cheaper on Amazon warehouse deals or a site like nobetterdeal.com (Warehouse deals and No Better Deal sell open box and returned items for cheaper than retail).

I don't really have many suggestions for a kid leash, but maybe try letting him pick out a character backpack/leash? If its something he likes, he might wear it. Ive also seen the wrist leashes, but my only experience with those was when I was a kid lol (and I hated it!).

In sept you should be ok. I'm really hoping that it cools down some more. I took DS at 6 weeks (he was preemie too) and he did great!
For the baby: standard diaper bag things (wipes, diapers +2, Paci, toy, bottle, formula (if needed), rash cream, powder, extra clothes, sun hat, light blanket. Nose Frida has the best snot sucker out there!!!
For toddler backpack munchkin had a backpack style leash, that will hold a few small toys or sippy cup. Leash comes off to make it a backpack. You can also get a band with your contact info and put it on his ankle so it won't come off. Cast members can't look in pockets or under sleeves for that if he does happen to run off.
For toddler (DS is now) : sippy cup, leash for toy/ sippy cup, snacks, favorite small toys (car, action hero, stuffed cat) play phone. My little guy loves his mist fan and will play with that when he's bored. Light blanket to place over sunshade to cover the rest of him while napping. Sun hat, sunscreen!!!, change of clothes, water clothes. Diapers, wipes, rash cream, etc.

Definitely bring the ergo!!!!! I still carry DS in he summer at Disney and he does fine. I loved the carrier when he was little because he was close and away from germs and hands. And he seemed happier to be with me. If he's too stimulated i can now put him on my back and he normally goes right to sleep, and i use the time to walk in the shops to cool down. You can use it for your toddler too. I'd use the bassinet too, seems baby would be happier to relax and lay down facing you (and not being over stimulated!)

If you have other questions I'd be happy to help! Have fun.

I wouldn't bother with the lock. Disney will cut or break them if they need to move your stroller and isn't liable for any damage in the process. (I've learned this from many previous threads on the Dis boards).

I thought as long as you didn't chain it to something it was acceptable? I was planning on locking the front two wheels together so that all the CM had to do was tip it back to move it but would *hopefully* deter someone from stealing it. Does anyone know if that is allowed?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter