• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Trip to NYC

brockash

DIS Veteran
We're planning to spend a cpl days in NYC. It'll be 2 adults and 3 kids (13, 8 and 1). We'll be driving and will probably spend just 3 nights there. We def. want to take the kids to the statue of liberty and would like to visit time square, but not for sure what else, especially with the span of ages.

Any tips on where to stay reasonably priced and also any thoughts on transportation. We could drive where we want to go, but I would much prefer some kind of shuttle or other transportation oprion.

Any tips/advice is much appreciated.

Number one advice- stay in NYC, don't bother with staying in NJ and having to take a bus/train into and out of the city each time. Park your car and forget it, you won't be using it to drive around NYC, subways, taxis always around ....

Times Square is always super crowded, super busy. The day you decide to visit Times Square, maybe a Broadway Show (with your kids ages, a disney one like Aladdin or Lion King could be an option...? Not sure if a 1 year old would be okay with it but I don't have kids so...maybe lol)

I recently stayed at the Affinia Manhattan overnight for a bachelorette party. Gorgeous hotel and decently priced, but I hated the mattress, but I would still look into it.

Also, using public transportation, get the HopStop App if you are using the subway

I know it sounds kind of cheesy and “touristy”, but imho the best way to see NYC is those double decker sightseeing buses. You get tickets in Times Square, and there are usually a couple of options – e.g. one that goes north around central park, to harlem, back down by the met museum, etc, and another one that goes down to the financial district and 911 memorial, back up through Chinatown, etc. It’s really the best way to see everything for the first time and get a feel for the city. And the tour guides are almost always very informative and lively.
Other than that, everyone has their favorites. The tenement museum in an overlooked and very educational spot. I love going to the top of Empire State Bldg. And it’s fun to rent bikes and ride central park, although that won’t work with you for your kids ages.
One last note: I took my kids to NYC at around the ages of your oldest, and they were kind of a pain, lots of complaining. It was summer and hot, and it just seemed like a “big city vacation” didn’t work out as well as our usual “beach” type or Disney vacations. IMHO, it’s best to wait to take kids there as teens, then they might be more interested in spending time at the art museums and attending shows and stuff like that. Good luck and have fun

Some sight seeing option good for all of your kids, Central Park and the Central Park zoo. Discovery time square usually has cool exhibits right now it's Marvel Avengers, in July its Hunger Games. The musume of Natural History. I'm pretty sure most Broadway shows don't allow kids under 4, sometimes I see 3, but 1 may be hard. You can check out New Victory theater for shows for younger kids but the older kids may be bored.

The botanical gardens are beautiful!

I agree with a PP the tenement musume is amazing and often over looked.

You didn't mention the time of year but baseball is starting so maybe a game?

Eta: I also agree hopstop is great for directions and I wouldn't recommend driving, unless you want to check out the Bronx Zoo!

I want to second staying in the city vs in NJ. Its so much nicer to just be there and I have never found it cheaper. I don't know your dates but keep an eye on travelzoo for deals. I usually look at hotels.com and/or bookit for ideas then if anything looks good look at the hotel's own website for deals such as AAA. For instance I'm paying $144 a night in April to stay at a holiday inn express near Penn Station with AAA. We tend to stay near Penn Station which is close but not in Times Square. I've stayed at Affinia Manhattan, Chelsea Savoy hotel, New Yorker etc. My kids loved the indoor pool at the skyline hotel which is further away from Times Square but not bad if you take a bus.

Since we have family in Manhattan we go routinely but now need a place to stay since Grandpa has Alzheimers. My girls are now 10 and 14. Over the past few years some places they have enjoyed - Sony Wonder Technology Lab (free, recommend advanced tickets), National Museum of Mathematics (hands on fun designed for middle schoolers), United Nations, Carousel at Central Park, Statue of Liberty/Ellis Island (recommend kids audio tour for 8 year old), USS Intrepid etc. I'm actually going to the Tenement Museum in April. My kids enjoy city vacations but associate NYC more with family then vacation.

Look at the Newyorkpass.com to see if it might be useful for your trip but if not it may give you more ideas. I want to do the ride and if combined with madame tussauds could be a great deal on a future trip.

OP just be careful booking hotels you have 5 people,and many rooms in NYC called standard room are meant for 2 people (in the 'value' category) so check the beds/size when booking! You can take them on the staten island ferry for free,which rides BY the Statue of Liberty,then you just get back on the ferry on the other side to ride back to Battery Park, I agree, find a hotel that you can park your car and leave for part of the price per night, and walk/take subways.
I like the Natural museum, and I believe it's a 'pay what you like' type of structure, once you wait in the ticket line, you tell them how much (if at all) you want to pay.... Central PArk is great for walking,playgrounds,zoo, just enjoying....

We took DS to NYC for three days, when he was about the age of your oldest...
We stayed just off Times Square. Which I can recommend. My son enjoyed experiencing the hustle and bustle and lights... seeing it all in person.
(but would not want to be right on the main area of Times Square! Practice your double-time power walk!)
Agree that you need to be very aware of the accommodations and room size.
Maybe more people on the NYC board on tripadvisor could recommend places with rooms that can accommodate 5.
I think that even a 1 year old counts as another occupant, and would be subject to codes.
We took the first ferry of the day over to the Statue Of Liberty. Spectacular in the morning sunshine, before the crowds!
I do recommend going this early, or as early as possible.
We did make sure we had gotten our tickets in advance.
Also saw the new building going up at the site of 9/11.
We did Central Park, and the museum.
Went to Top-Of-The-Rock.
My son would have liked that double-decker bus tour. And, it might have been fun! But, on a short trip, and a budget, we didn't to this. Your family might enjoy it. And it would be a good way to get a tour quickly and easily.
We also did the F A Swartz Toy Store (spelling)
And, went to Good Morning America.
I actually think my son enjoyed seeing this in person, and shaking hands with George, seeing Robin, etc...
(Even though it was not a good day to be there, as the weatherman and regulars who work the audience were out that day...)

It was a really wonderful trip!!!
Lots of photos and memories.
(pastries and fresh fruit and coffee and milk for breakfast in our room, with the fresh springtime breeze and sunshine and the sounds of the streets of NYC wafting thru the window... DH, going out at dawn to get coffee, and being asked by a pimp if he 'needed a woman'... he was like, "... no.. I just need some breakfast." Hahahaha!!!)
We all enjoyed it!

I would love to go back with just DH, and have a more adult visit!
Dining, Broadway, etc...

Last edited:
I know it's been mentioned above, but our family of 5 stayed in the Affinia Manhattan and it was great! Just a few blocks from times square and lots of excitement! It's also not horribly priced, since most hotels will not accommodate 5 and this has rooms that will.

We're planning to spend a cpl days in NYC. It'll be 2 adults and 3 kids (13, 8 and 1). We'll be driving and will probably spend just 3 nights there. We def. want to take the kids to the statue of liberty and would like to visit time square, but not for sure what else, especially with the span of ages.

Any tips on where to stay reasonably priced and also any thoughts on transportation. We could drive where we want to go, but I would much prefer some kind of shuttle or other transportation oprion.

Any tips/advice is much appreciated.

Thanks for all the tips and advice!

Don't be afraid to use public transportation while you are there. I've never used the bus system, but I always ride the subways, and I imagine that your kids would think it's pretty fun to do so. It costs $2.75 per person for a ride on the subway. I think (but I'm not positive) that your 1 year old would be free. They sell various types of metrocards, I usually use a regular one, but I believe that there are unlimited one day and one week options that might be less expensive depending on how much you plan to ride.

And I'll second the idea of the Staten Island Ferry. It's free and you get a nice view of the Manhattan Skyline and the Statue of Liberty.

They did away with the 1 day unlimited cards. Now a 7 day unlimited metrocard is $31 plus $1 for the card from what I read on mta.info. I think kids are free until a certain height instead of age. The bus is easy to use and you can see the street signs. Strollers have to be folded on busses. Not all subways have escalators/evevators so plan to have someone carry the stroller and someone help the 1 year old. If your 8 year old is a girl and you don't have a local store you might enjoy the American Girl Store (maybe also 13 year old but mine outgrew it way before that so no clue). I also had 5 people when we stayed at Affinia Manhattan - we got a deal on travelzoo and had a 1 bedroom suite with 2 beds in the bedroom, a sofa bed, 2 full bathrooms, and a full kitchen. My girls prefer it if they don't have to share a bed. At Chelsea Savoy we had two beds plus a free cot that fit in a L shaped area so it was out of the way.

The city is not very stroller friendly, so you might want to use a baby carrier like an Ergo or a very lightweight umbrella stroller. Lugging a stroller up and down subway stairs is hard and few stations have elevators. I highly recommend walking across the Brooklyn bridge and also going to the transit museum in Brooklyn. Your kids might like Luna park and you can also visit the aquarium in Coney Island.

I live here, so don't really know much about the hotels. However, when my aunt and uncle visited, they stayed at Hotel Edison on W. 46th and loved it. The rooms weren't big, but the hotel is less expensive than other hotels in the city and centrally located. My daughters enjoy the Metropolitan Museum, Central Park Children's Zoo, walking through Central Park and the Carousel, Museum of Natural History, visiting FAO Schwartz on 5th Avenue. Like a pp said, the Met and Museum of Natural History are suggested donation. In Times Square, there is a huge Toys R Us with a Ferris Wheel and a Hershey's Store. We also go the American Girl store near Rockefeller Center (you can have lunch, dinner or tea there, but like WDW they book reservations a couple months ahead of time and it's expensive). One of our favorite things to do is walk across the Bklyn Bridge and have pizza at Patsy's on the Bklyn side. Definitely take the subway and avoid cabs. $$ Also, go to the TKTS booth for same day discounted Broadway tickets. However, you won't find the Lion King or Wicked discounted, but you can sometimes get Matilda or Aladdin. Have a great visit. NY is a great city. PM me if you'd like any more specific recommendations, restaurants, etc.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter