• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

trip reports pbh & rp

sofifi97

Earning My Ears
We stayed at PBH in July 2002. I'd visited Universal a few years earlier and saw this hotel just before it opened and vowed I would stay here someday. It is a drop dead gorgeous hotel, inside and out. You really feel transported to Italy. We had an upgraded category room with pool view and balcony, very nice. The room was beautiful, though it had a bad ant problem (and we were on the 6th floor, so I thought that was odd). The bathroom was huge (again gorgeous and great toiletries too) and we had a lovely balcony with a great view. I got lost anytime I strayed from my normal route because the layout of the hotel confused me. We did receive our Loews Member welcome gift on the first night, though it didn't arrive until 10:30pm and we were already in bed... but at least it came.
The staff didn't treat us very well, unfortunately. The only exception was the concierge and the hotel manager. Otherwise, the people we dealt with at the front desk, bell staff and valet were not 'hospitality oriented', to put it mildly. The latter two were downright rude on most encounters. The front desk was just indifferent. The manager did issue a credit on our bill due to our complaint about a few mishaps, so at least that made us feel better. We ate at an italian bistro type restaurant that served pizzas and sandwiches. I had a sandwich that was wonderful, and the plain pizza was good, but the other one we ordered was awful (I forget what kind, but it was extremely garlicky).

Our most recent visit on 1/2/3 for 2 nights was at RP. When we pulled the car up we expected the worst (after our experience with the staff at PBH), but were pleasantly surprised. We absolutely loved this place. Because it's the cheaper of the three hotels I expected less, but that wasn't the case. Though the outside is not really extraordinary (comparing it to the PBH), I found myself equally as mesmerized with it on the inside. Every staff member I encountered was friendly. The gentlemen who helped us unload our bags and valet the car were all courteous. The lady, Nilda at check in was really friendly, not to mention accomodating and we even had a few laughs too. The bellman who brought us to our room was friendly and enthusiastic to help us. Our room was beautiful... definitely smaller than the PBH rooms, but we are only 3, so we really didn't mind. No balconies or lavish baths here either . The furnishings were really nice too. Our room was made up by housekeeping nicely and unobtrusively. We ate at the more casual restaurant on one night and had a really nice waiter and good food. The woman at the convenience store was even friendly. My daughter received a beach pail and shovel at check in and we received the paper each morning, but we never got our Loews Member treat on the first night. I thought to call, but it was already late and I didn't want to get another late night delivery.

I have to give Kudos to Loews... their hotels are so stylish and with well carried out themes. One thing I noticed at both hotels, is that the staff is very young and 'hip'. My 30 something husband and I with our 5 yr old in tote are definitely 'not', so we felt a little 'old' I guess. Just a feeling we shared, no one's bad doing or anything. I think they staff that way because the crowd the Universal parks attractions cater to are families with older kids, singles or couples.

As for the parks, that front of the line access was AWESOME!!! It was sweltering hot in July and very busy in January so it made all the difference in the world. The staff in the parks isn't the most enthusiastic either (I guess that's where the hotel staff at PBH gets their cue!). Why do so many of them look - and often behave- as if they are miserable? At the One Fish, Two Fish ride one of the attendants was arguing with another employee for a good 5 minutes in front of everyone and did nothing to hide it or tone it down. At the Spiderman ride I asked 2 attendants at different times if the ride would be scary for my then 4yr old and both sloughed me off and said it was fine with nary a glance. Well, it really wasn't... I was even a bit scared by this ride and it was way too intense for my poor daughter who was in hysterics. I know they can't really judge these things without knowing the child, but a word of warning that it thrashed you around and that there were many in your face moments, not to mention how loud it was -would've been helpful. It's really my fault for not riding it alone first, but I just wish they'd put more thought into what they say and do. Disney's CM's are so pleasant and helpful, why doesn't Universal try to establish a similar standard ? I'm bewildered by this.

Anyway, we'll be going back in June and though we'll stay in Disney for most of our stay (as we usually do), we'll probably put in 2 nights at the RP to get that front of the line access.

Thanks.for the reveiw..What did you think of the PBH pool?? We are staying there in JUne....We have deluxe pool veiw..hoping for a balcony..sounds like this was your location..what was your room number? Did your over look the villa pool or the beach pool??thanks...amy

Hi Amy,

Yes we had a deluxe pool view room with balcony... and the view was pretty. Some don't have balconies, so try to request one in advance. I'm not sure which pool we were overlooking though it was sprawling and beautiful... until you just asked I didn't even realize they had more than one large pool. We had no time for the pool on either trip, sorry, so no experience there. I've read raves, so you probably won't be disappointed.
I also don't recall my room number, sorry.

sofifi97

Thanks for your report. We are staying at the PB for the 1st time in March. I hope our experience in better :( . We have been trying to switch to HRH but no entertainment rate for our days.

Anyway, I have been trying to find out if the PB gives the kids anything at check in. We stayed at HRH last summer and DD was given a 'purse' with cool sunglasses, a beach ball, inflatable guitar, and a couple of other things. She thought this was so neat. Does the PB do anything like this???

Thanks.

Hi Minnie,

When we checked into the PBH in July my daughter (then 4yrs old) didn't receive a welcome gift. That's not to say that they don't give them out, because RP gave her one (and you received one at HRH) so they probably do.
The girl who checked us in was 'unremarkable'. She only spoke when she needed information and barely looked up. At the time I didn't know they offered a kiddie gift, so I didn't ask.
I'm sure you'll have a great time there... the hotel is truly a beauty. I've found that one person's interaction with staff (hotel and theme parks in this case) can sometimes be entirely different than the next person. I'm very friendly when spoken to or get a welcoming smile (as is my husband), but otherwise we won't initiate 'chit chat' with someone who doesn't give off that vibe. Also, it depends on what you expect. If you expect only that they will serve your needs upon request and they do more, you will be happy. But we walked in there expecting to be treated like the CM's in Disney treat guests, and that just wasn't the case.

Thanks for replying so quickly!

I hope the personnel you dealt with were just having a bad day. We didn't find the people at HRH 'overly' friendly but they were OK. We too felt a little old. Most of the people working there were hip early 20-somethings and we are rather 'normal'. DD8 loved the HRH because she thought it was so cool.

If the other 2 have a 'kid pack' the PB should too. I will make a point to ask if we don't get one.

Ellie&mattysmom,

The name of the restaurant was Jake's American Bar. Not many choices on the dinner menu, but my husband had a cheese steak sandwich and I had a club sandwich and both were tasty. Mine had avocado on it, which I expected to dislike, but enjoyed it. There was also a kids menu, my daughter had pb&j.

sofifi97

I've never been to Univeral...but I'm considering a trip in the near future. In the post a Loews Member Treat was mentioned....what is that?

I'm noticing that people who have done the Disney and Universal comparision...have listed the Disney staff as friendlier than Universal. I feel that if you work in Customer Service you should be ready to work with the public in a warm and inviting way...unless you just really come across obnoxious people. Because no one deserves to be treated rudely.

On my last trip to Disney (December 2002) the CM at disney was excellent...it was the crowds and families in the parks that were a nightmare. The cast members made it all worth while. That's makes it enjoyable each and everytime I go back.

But the hotel packets that I'm reading about in different reports sound neat

Sofifi I'm sorry to hear about your daughters experience on the One Fish Two Fish ride

twinx4,

The treat I referred to is a welcome gift that Loews gives their members on the first night stay. I'm not sure what all the choices are, but I chose milk and cookies. The cookies were huge and good tasting. I only received it on my stay at PBH, though you're supposed to receive it at any Loews hotel. The RP should have sent me them, but I guess they forgot and I never got around to asking about it.
I'm pretty sure another option is fruit, and there may also be wine with that... though not sure. When you apply for a Loews First account they give you a choice of three or four things and put it on your profile. Also you receive a free daily newspaper. There are also other member benefits.

As for the staff at the Universal parks, IMO there's alot of room for improvement. They aren't all bad.... there are some very nice employees too, just not a majority.

Universal is great fun, you should go and experience it. It's best suited for older kids, teens and adults... but there are dedicated sections in each park for the young ones. If you stay on site you will get that all important unlimited front of the line access, I find it to be almost a MUST. Also, their onsite hotels are really lovely. I think they are prettier than the Disney hotels.

as the HRH was sold out. We got a killer rate of $129 (Presidents weekend) and they upgraded us (Lowes member) to a Deluxe pool view. We received wonderful treatment with early checkin, upgrade, etc. (although it took 3 phonecalls to get our welcome gift) and the hotel was beautiful. It was however very expensive. We went to the little coffee shop for something light for the kids for breakfast and found it to be very pricey. I guess that's all to be expected in a hotel of this caliber. This year (3 more weeks:~) we are staying at HRH so it'll be interesting to see what it's like. We are not even doing the parks at all. Just want to enjoy the pool and atmosphere at the resort.

My main reason for posting was that I wanted to say that I really agree with you on the "less than enthusiastic" staff at US / IOA. I found the staff there to be very unfriendly, unhelpful, borderline rude some of the time. I especially found it to be true of the workers in Dr. Suess Land (is that whats its called?). I can vividly remember paying a fortune for these totally GROSS green eggs and ham sandwiches (yes, dd had to be able to say she had them!) and being treated rudely by the counter help to boot!!! I think there is a huge difference in the overall happy "feel" of Disney versus Universal.....

Jenn

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter