trip report

akacake

Earning My Ears
We were originally booked to stay at FW from Nov 27-Dec 4th. Being a Canuck I wasn’t aware of the US Thanksgiving holiday on the 25th and the promise of huge crowds for that week. We are on a year long RV adventure so we are flexible with our dates…so to make a long story short, we changed our reservations to have us arrive on Nov 12 until Nov 24. The crowds were nothing at all from Nov15-19. The weekends were busier but still fine.

our campsite 523

We used our AAA (CAA for us Canucks) and received the discount for a premium site. It worked out to the same price as a full hook up. Having never been to the Fort before I had no idea what the difference was between full, preferred and premium sites. We were assigned site 523 and liked it fine, it was nice to have concrete throughout the whole site! We would have liked to put up out cooking shelter at the back but didn’t as there was nowhere to hammer the stakes into being on concrete. We were probably the shabbiest RV on our loop, we have a 1993 23 ft class C motor home, and we were next to huge, beautiful, expensive, polished rigs!

nice big rigs!

We pedaled our bikes around and found a site that we fell in love with, site 725. It would have been perfect for us but we didn’t feel like packing up from 523, not that there was anything wrong with the one we had. I would have liked to been closer to the pool and the sing-a-long for our son’s sake, but it was nice to be close to the marina and the dog park.

We rented a cart for one day, just to see what looping was all about, it was great! We got lost at night; we ended up at the Fort Wilderness Lodge and had to turn around! DH wants to trade his Harley in on a golf cart now!
here is one that some friends we @ FW made own..

and another cool one...

the green lagoon!

The bathrooms were very clean and the nicest bathrooms I have ever had at any of the campsites we have stayed at, EVER! DH couldn’t shave using the sink as the tap had a motion sensor, which made it impossible. The laundry facilities were very clean and worked well.

We went to Mickey’s Back Yard BBQ and had lots of fun. The ribs, mac and cheese and cornbread were to die for! At the end we all stocked up on Mickey ice cream bars, so very good!

We went swimming to the Meadows pool with our son. It was nice and warm and not too crowded.

We bought some of our groceries from the trading post, eggs, milk, bread, and yes a few bottles of wine ☺

We don’t have a cell phone and I needed to use the internet to communicate with a business partner back in Canada, so I paid the $10 three times and connected to do all my transactions etc. The wifi didn’t work at Crockets Tavern so I had to walk all the way to the Meadows Trading post to get it hooked up.

The nooseeums were biting at my ankles pretty badly while I sat outside, I am used to mosquitoes the size of birds that you can actually see and swat away!

We have a large collection of bumper stickers on the back of our motor home and I looked everywhere to find a Disney or FW one to add to the back. I finally found a Disney one on eBay and had a FW one designed for me thru Vista Print. Hard to believe that there weren’t any available to buy onsite.

DH tried his luck at fishing. He is fly fisherman from Northwestern Canada so is used to catching salmon and trout etc…so his 1st time out fly-fishing for bass in the side channels wasn’t too good. The next time he tried he caught and released quite a few big-mouthed bass. We saw lots of turtles as well!

We walked down to the marina to watch the nighttime electric boat parade and the fireworks. Some parents had their kids wrapped up like it was winter, us Northerners were in shorts and t-shirts!

The Christmas and Mickey decorations were fantastic!!

The boat ride across to the Magic Kingdom was perfect, we would go for half the day then come back to eat dinner and walk the dog before going back again at night.

All in all we loved FW and it made out entire 1st visit to WDW a huge hit. I couldn’t imagine not staying at FW and being cooped up in a hotel somewhere else. I think those of us that are able to experience FW are really experiencing WDW as it should be done!

Before we arrived, DH was less than thrilled with my plans of “dragging” him camping just to see Mickey Mouse etc. Once we arrived at FW and he saw how clean it was, how organized it was, he was in love with the place! Once we “dragged” him to the Magic Kingdom, he was in awe. He changed his whole idea of the place and ended up buying a Mickey Mouse t-shirt and several Mickey pins!

Awesome pictures! So, where are you headed now? Was this your last stop on the year long trip or are you just getting started?

We left our home on May31st, 2010. We are at camped at Lake Rousseau, in Crystal River Florida until Feb 1st. From here we will more than likely head to Texas then New Mexico and Arizona before heading back to British Columbia. We haven't made any plans after Feb 1st yet..we have to be back home next June or July.

Awesome pictures! Thanks for sharing them.

Your adventure sounds great! The longest road trip we've been able to take to this point is a month. I could have stayed out longer. I hope you continue to have a great trip.

Awesome shots. Looks like you have a really good wide angle lens on your camera?

Let me ask you, how did you capture these awesome night shots:

5232171124_7e89d8e257_b.jpg

5231632245_4f7b36063c_b.jpg

???

They're really good. I like all the color you captured. Were these retouched with Photoshop?

Did you put the camera on a tripod and use a slow shutter?

I'm trying to improve my night shots and low light shots. My night shots are pretty poor.

Awesome shots. Looks like you have a really good wide angle lens on your camera?

Let me ask you, how did you capture these awesome night shots:

5232171124_7e89d8e257_b.jpg

5231632245_4f7b36063c_b.jpg

???

They're really good. I like all the color you captured. Were these retouched with Photoshop?

Did you put the camera on a tripod and use a slow shutter?

I'm trying to improve my night shots and low light shots. My night shots are pretty poor.

Thanks! I have a fisheye lens that I use once in a while. It really distorts the photos though.
Nope, I didn;t use PS for these photos.
The one of my campsite I used a tripod and a 30 sec exposure. A golf cart looped by me so that is what the white streak is!
The xmas light one I did handheld, I used a very high ISO 3200 I think.

I looked at your TR and photos too! Think we were there at the same time?

The xmas light one I did handheld, I used a very high ISO 3200 I think.

Wow. You must have a very high end camera. When I try to shoot that high an ISO on mine, the shots come out very grainy.

I'm using a Nikon P90, which is a prosumer model. It's decent, but a lot of folks on this board have much nicer cameras.

And yes, I think we were there at the same time. I think I may have even seen you fishing while we were at the dog park with our dog Zoe?

Wow. You must have a very high end camera. When I try to shoot that high an ISO on mine, the shots come out very grainy.

I'm using a Nikon P90, which is a prosumer model. It's decent, but a lot of folks on this board have much nicer cameras.

And yes, I think we were there at the same time. I think I may have even seen you fishing while we were at the dog park with our dog Zoe?

I have a midrange camera, a Nikon D300 and several different lenses. It was my DH fishing not me. He always wore his trademark white Tilley Hat. Maybe you saw our dog Sampson at the dog park, a scruffy looking white Jack Russell Terrier?

I think I may have even seen you fishing while we were at the dog park with our dog Zoe?[/QUOTE said:
I just asked my dh and he said that he WAS fishing in the canal right behind the dog park on one of the days!

What a great TR to wake up to this morning -- a good, old-fashioned, FUN trip report! Can't wait to read more. :cool1:

Love your photos. And I like your RV, too -- it has a lot more personality than those shiny ones; don't ever call it shabby! :goodvibes

I want to hear more about your year-long adventure. Heading over to your blog now!

Great pictures, thanks for posting also glad your hubby converted to the Disney side and had a good time. Anyway enjoy the rest of your journey and I hope it's a safe one, I will also be checking the rest of your trip.

Glad to hear ya'll had'a great time .
Those are some very way cool pictures, :thumbsup2
And I'm glad to hear that hubby caught some fish,,but from what I've heard the Florida bass would be hard press'd to match up to a Canuck Salmon or Trout. I've never been to Canada,,but the fishing shows really do the fishing there proud.

What a great TR to wake up to this morning -- a good, old-fashioned, FUN trip report! Can't wait to read more. :cool1:

Love your photos. And I like your RV, too -- it has a lot more personality than those shiny ones; don't ever call it shabby! :goodvibes

I want to hear more about your year-long adventure. Heading over to your blog now!

Thanks Polkadot! WE love our RV even though it is older and quite small. I never worry about what falls on the floor, the carpets have been through a lot in there! We really do need to borrow a ladder and wax it though! The RV park we are in now has more like ours so we aren't the only "dull" one!

Great pictures, thanks for posting also glad your hubby converted to the Disney side and had a good time. Anyway enjoy the rest of your journey and I hope it's a safe one, I will also be checking the rest of your trip.

thanks dblr! Hubby is a Mickey convert now! He also said he wants to go back to FW...now I have to figure out to do this again..it is along drive from BC next year!

Awesome pictures! Thanks for sharing them.

Your adventure sounds great! The longest road trip we've been able to take to this point is a month. I could have stayed out longer. I hope you continue to have a great trip.

Thanks Dave! The first 2 months of our road trip we had our 19 year old daughter with us...it is definitely a different trip with a teenager. She is in University now so we have lots more space without all her clothes and stuff in the RV!

Glad to hear ya'll had'a great time .
Those are some very way cool pictures, :thumbsup2
And I'm glad to hear that hubby caught some fish,,but from what I've heard the Florida bass would be hard press'd to match up to a Canuck Salmon or Trout. I've never been to Canada,,but the fishing shows really do the fishing there proud.

Thanks Born 2 Fish. You would love it up in our neck of the woods for fishing! We have thousands of people fly in every year to fish the Skeena, Kitimat, Copper and the Lakelse Rivers.

Great pics! We were in site 554 from 11/10-11/16 so I must have passed your site many times in our journeys with the pup. Wish I would have said hi!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter