• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Trip Report - SSR

klafollette

Earning My Ears
Sorry this is so late...my vacation was in November.

We arrived at SSR to check in around 12:30 on Sunday November 7th for our first home away from home experience for a week of eating our way around the world at the FWF.

Check-in took about 20 minutes in line, and once we got to the counter, the lady could not find our name in the system. I was getting worried when I remembered that a Member Service representative had told me that my name was spelled with a space in it in their system, which is incorrect. I told the clerk to look it up as the incorrect way and it came up (my last name is "LaFollette" and they had it as "La Follette").

Once we got that straightened out, we were told our room was not available yet, and they gave us a card with a number on it so we could call back and randomly check to see if our room was ready. I was very excited and more than happy to wait when I found out she was able to get us a PI view and we were going to be on the third floor...nice!

My husband and I walked the grounds eagerly waiting for our room to be done. We called back every hour or so waiting to see if it was done yet. Every time they told us...not ready yet. So we waited...and waited..and waited...and finally at 4:45 p.m. (45 minutes after normal check-in) we called and they said that the room was ready and gave us our room number. We drove to our building and took all of our luggage out to go to our room. We open the door and noticed somthing odd....

The back sliding glass door leading out to the patio was wide open. We walk in further to find dirty dishes in the sink, non made bed, dirty towels and bathroom, in other words..the room was filthy and disheveled!

Not detered we call the front desk and tell them our problem...the gentelmen (loosely used) put me on hold for 15 minutes and never came back on the line. I finally hung up and called back again. A different person answered the phone and I had to tell her the whole story and how no one ever came back on the line...and then in the background I could hear someone telling her that we must have lost connection somehow. Anyway...they told us to come back to the front desk and they would give us another room. So we lugged all of our luggage down to the car again..drove back to the front desk, got a different room (first floor...still PI view). We then drove back checked our room out first this time...then proceeded to bring all of our luggage in.

The room was wonderful...clean and ready for our stay. About 15 minutes later..there was a knock at the door. It was a manager from the front desk. She said I understand you had a problem with your room. I said yes it was filthy and rudely she says..."Well..can I come in and see why". I told her that we already moved from that room and this was our new room!! She then asks if we can tell her what the room number was for the dirty room!!! I told it to her and she mumbled an appology as she was walking away...never to be seen again.

On with our stay...that night we rented the Milo and Stitch DVD and were sprawled out on the couch watching it and there was a loud knock at the door. I hurried to make myself presentable...and the door starts opening. Thank goodness we had the safety lock latched...because I wasn't wearing any pants. I started yelling to hold on..hold on...LOL. It was someone from the front desk with a bundle of 3 balloons and a card. The guy handed it to me and walked away. I thought it was for the dirty room problem...but as I read the card it said "Happy Birthday...(Can't remember name)" I yelled down the hallway to the guy that was walking away and said this isn't mine. He said are you sure...and I said yes...I don't have children..and it isn't anyones birthday. He said "oh sorry" grabbed the balloons and walked away. GRRRR

After we wiped the first day from our memories...we were able to enjoy the rest of our vacation. We stayed in a one bedroom villa and I could have moved in and stayed there the rest of our life. The room was beautiful and the Spa tub was to die for. We loved going and shopping at Basin in DTD to buy bath products to use every night.

After 4 nights at SSR, we transfered to BCV Studio for the remainder of our stay. What a mistake..I wish we would have done it the other way around. We ran into the same problems at check-in with my name (which yes...I have asked them to correct). The lady asked me if we were checking in to the Beach Club or Yacht club. I told her Beach Club...but she still couldn't find us in the system. Then she overheard me saying something about calling Member Services..and she said..."Oh. You mean Beach club Villas..not Beach Club". I didn't realize there was a difference..but oh well...I am learning more and more every day about my DVC membership. I didn't like the room as much...and our air had to be set at 65 degrees in order to feel like 75...it was weird and took us 2 days to get it right. I'm not usually a big complainer...and we didn't spend that much time in the room anyway..so no big deal.

I loved SAB pool! What a blast. At 27 I really enjoyed the slide..how silly!

In summary..SSR got off to a rocky start..but I absolutely loved the rooms, the hotel, and the walking distance to DTD and MarketPlace. We are staying there again for one night next week to use up the rest of our points for the year and I would definitely recommend staying there. BCV was nice to walk to the Boardwalk and Epcot, and I enjoyed the pool...but not much else.

Sorry this is so long.

Thanks for the trip report! I really cannot understand the attitude of some CM's. Rudeness is so not needed esp. if they show up at your door! I am glad you had a great time at SSR :earboy2:

Lisa :flower:

Yikes! I'm so sorry you had problem with the staff & housekeeping! Hopefully some improvements in work quality and attitude have been made since then.

Oh! I just cannot imagine leaving a filthy room with dirty dishes all over the place. I vow to always clean up after my family (at the very least put the dishes in the dishwasher and take out the garbage) before checking out...so that it saves the person checking in some time and aggravation!

We had one very minor (though it was after 11pm) problem at SSR in June and not only were they extremely apologetic...they offered compensation just for our bother.

I would forward your story to DVC Member Satisfaction, just so that they are aware. I'm a little worried about some of the CMs over at SSR. From the stories I've read it doesn't seem that the training they've received has been completely effective.

Every time one of these room assignment mishaps occurs, it seems to set off a chain reaction of other problems. Grrrrr!!!

Sorry to hear you had to suffer through it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter