Trip Report - Our First Trip to FW

rgrimm

Mouseketeer
Well we have done our first trip (August 31 – Sept 5) to Fort Wilderness and had a great time. We are new to RVing, new to Fort Wilderness, but not new to Disney. Here are some of our observations.

We arrived around 11:00 am on Wednesday, August 31st, and check in was painless (well except for the fact that I turned into a ‘buses Only’ entrance instead of the Fort Wilderness entrance {did I mention we are New to FW and to RVing} so that meant a K turn with a 39’ trailer on the back) and to my surprise I not only got the Loop I requested but also the Site I requested (614).

I know everyone has different tastes, but this site was perfect for us, scenic, convenient, semi private and easy to get into. We also picked up a Cart at check in, so we were able to drive around and explore The Fort (amazing place in Disney style). I thought that the Golf carts had to be electric whether a rental or your own, but saw (heard) a number of gas powered Carts. I also thought that there was a limit of one vehicle per site – The folks across from us usually had 3 vehicles parked in (at) there site. Had they been here before I arrived it probably would have been a little more difficult to back in to my site as one of the 3 cars they had was partially in the road and the roads aren’t wide to begin with. One night I saw a ‘Cart Cop’ attempted to pull over – stop a cart being driven by a 10 to 12 year old. Well the kids in the cart would NOT stop for the CM, so the CM in the cart had to chase them. Perhaps the carts used by the ‘Cart Cops’ need to be able to run faster than a standard cart so they can actually catch the rule breakers.

One night on the way back from the Outpost Bus stop I stopped for a bus that was stopped at one of the Loop Stops and there were 2 Carts behind me, the second one being a Gas Cart with his Radio Blasting through the added Cart Speakers. I guess they just assumed that I and everyone else around also liked their taste in music.

Sorry to complain. I guess it is just me. I have always tried to be the courteous one, the one who tries to follow the rules and respect others and I believe most people are like me. But there always seem to be a few who only care about themselves.

So all in all we enjoyed our first trip to Fort Wilderness and already have a trip scheduled for early December.

Below are a few Photos from our trip.

- Russ

disboard(0).JPG

Packed and ready to go :cool1: leaving from our home in NE Florida

disboard(1).JPG

We have arrived … to the correct entrance this time. No more ‘K’ turns needed.

disboard(2).JPG

Okay the awnings out, chairs out, rug down, electric, water and sewer lines conntected
time to explore The Fort

disboard(3).JPG

First stop is in the Settlement Area (down by the lake) and a shot of the Settlement
Trading Post and so few people around – but the Weekend is coming.

disboard(4).JPG

Another shot of the Trading Post at the Settlement – Wow this place (The Fort)
is beautiful.

disboard(5).JPG

We saw this horse and wagon as we turned in our Loop (600) and found out that the next
Ride was from the Settlement around 9:30 pm. We took our cart to the Settlement around 9:30 and decided to take the Wagon ride. Ended up that we were
The ONLY two in the wagon so we had a private ride and tour around the
campground. The CM was fantastic.

disboard(6).JPG

Sunset the first night – there was rain in the area.

disboard(7).JPG

Okay a visit to Chip (brown nose one) and Dale sing along. This was a short walk
for us from our site as it was right behind us. Our site was great (for us).

disboard(8).JPG

Here’s a shot the Saturday morning from our site looking toward the exit end. The
loop has filled up since we got here on Wednesday.

disboard(9).JPG

Here’s a shot from our site looking towards the entrance end of our Loop (600)

Welcome to the RV lifestyle.
Yes, there should be only 1 car at each campsite. Anything else should be in the overflow lot.
No, all golf carts do not have to be electric.
And I agree with you about other people sharing their music with me. Be it on a golf cart or in a car, I prefer to pick my own music. And I never assume someone else wants to hear what I am listening to.

One night on the way back from the Outpost Bus stop I stopped for a bus that was stopped at one of the Loop Stops and there were 2 Carts behind me, the second one being a Gas Cart with his Radio Blasting through the added Cart Speakers. I guess they just assumed that I and everyone else around also liked their taste in music.

Sorry to complain. I guess it is just me. I have always tried to be the courteous one, the one who tries to follow the rules and respect others and I believe most people are like me. But there always seem to be a few who only care about themselves.

You are not the only one who feels this way, I often remark that I don't like their "music" and why does the rest of the population have to be subjected to their "music".

Thanks for sharing your thoughts and photos, welcome to the camping life.

First , WELCOME !
Your first Fort camp trip !! :thumbsup2 Very cool !!

Couldn't tell you how many wrong lanes/turns I've made (my wife thinks I'm the only one who does that).
The 600 loop is a very nice loop, we stay'd on the 600 our last trip, very convenient to the campfire and pond fishing :thumbsup2:thumbsup2.
Oh yeah,,rules and regulations,,didn't anyone tell you that the rules are only for you to follow, they don't apply anyone else..:lmao:

Very nice pics too,,
feel free to keep reporting, we love it !!

First , WELCOME !
Your first Fort camp trip !! :thumbsup2 Very cool !!

Couldn't tell you how many wrong lanes/turns I've made (my wife thinks I'm the only one who does that).
The 600 loop is a very nice loop, we stay'd on the 600 our last trip, very convenient to the campfire and pond fishing :thumbsup2:thumbsup2.
Oh yeah,,rules and regulations,,didn't anyone tell you that the rules are only for you to follow, they don't apply anyone else..:lmao:

Very nice pics too,,
feel free to keep reporting, we love it !!

I think there was something in my registration packet that indicated that all rules were for me Only :)

We are already looking forward to our December Trip :santa:. And this time I will be a little more familiar with the Fort and actually use the Main Entrance.

So it appeared that (and the CM driving the wagon ride indicated) there is a full time resident of FW – or at least they have been staying there for a few years. Is this true? If so, what a place to call home :woohoo:.

PS - And thank you all for the Welcomes

That is a nice looking rig.

Thanks TOGA - We looked for over a year for our first TT and then after changing trucks (F150 to a F250) last January we found this 2010 (used) Open Range TT that was like new. It has been a great TT to start this new adventure in our lives, with 3 slides, its roomy and comfortable and it really tows well. My DW will retire on October 1st, so we are hoping to be able to start using it more than we have up to this point. Our Fort Wilderness Trip was only our 3rd trip.

- Russ

You're Welcome - Well digital age makes it easy to take lots an lots of photos. My camera just seems to never run out of film and the processing costs aren't bad :surfweb:

Great pictures thanks, nice looking trailer good luck and happy trails!!!!!!!!!

Russ,

Thanks for the pix and the trip report. Once you've camped and especially RV'd at the Fort, you're hooked.

There are some folks who long term it there. "Permanent" is a relative term but I think people will refer to the lady in the last site in loop 700 (738?) who has been there for many months (3-4 years comes to mind?). But they have to make 30-day ressies at a time like any of us can/would.

I look forward to reading your December trip report (hint hint ;)).

Bama ED

Yes, LOVE your pictures !!

Well, since I can't afford to live at Disney, when I die I wanna go to Disney ! That'd hav'ta be really close to heaven, right ?

Sounds like heaven to me ! :woohoo:

Russ,

Thanks for the pix and the trip report. Once you've camped and especially RV'd at the Fort, you're hooked.

There are some folks who long term it there. "Permanent" is a relative term but I think people will refer to the lady in the last site in loop 700 (738?) who has been there for many months (3-4 years comes to mind?). But they have to make 30-day ressies at a time like any of us can/would.

I look forward to reading your December trip report (hint hint ;)).

Bama ED
Helga!
I hear she got a new rig.

Yes, LOVE your pictures !!

Well, since I can't afford to live at Disney, when I die I wanna go to Disney ! That'd hav'ta be really close to heaven, right ?

Sounds like heaven to me ! :woohoo:

Born2Fish - I agree! Sounds like heaven to me too.

Welcome to RV'ing, welcome to the Fort! Love your TR and really love your photos (most of my favorite things.....Fort, more Fort, Soarin'....). We check-in in 11 days (but at Pop Century - our first Disney non-Fort stay EVER) so reading this has made me super excited.
We'll be back at the Fort in December, only late December whereas it appears you are early December. Enjoy!! I can't wait to see all the decorations!!

Wow, that is one big rig. :thumbsup2 Lovin' the TR and the pics.

:rockband: Can you hear my radio? :rotfl2:

Love your pictures! Gets me all excited for our trip! Thanks for sharing, sounds like a good time...even with the noisy carts and someone else's music. ;)

Hi Russ, thanks for posting. We are new to TT camping too (our 1st year) but found we love it so much that I've been able to talk DH into a stay at the Fort next Aug! I've been a long time lurker and was able to use so many ideas from this thread when making our reservation! Thanks to all.

Your pictures have been very helpful in getting an idea of what the Fort looks like. Love the movie and sing along pictures. I can't wait to show my 2 DDs. They will be so excited!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter