• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Trip Report / Opinions - Wonder 7/3

donnier

Earning My Ears
OK,

We just got back from our 3 day Wonder trip, our 1st on Disney Cruise Line, our 8th cruise. Thought I'd give a quick report and a report card of Disney vs. the other lines we have cruised.

The port facilities are the nicest we have cruised from and the ship is very nice. The embarkation process did not seem to go as smoothly as some others we have experienced. We had a Navigator verandah cabin. The verandah was neat with it's seafaring trim. After all of the talk of how Disney cabins are larger than other lines, we were disapointed in the cabin size. The split bathroom was, in our opinion, more trouble than it was worth. It seemd like Disney took a typically small cruise ship bathroom and split it in two, thus resulting in two really, really small bathrooms. Neither my wife or myself are very big people, and it was cramped for us. Not sure how a larger person would function in these. The width of the cabin seemed smaller than other lines we have sailed. If one person is standing at the end of the bed, another has a very difficult time getting past. Cabin service was great. Our steward Dani did a very good job.

Overall ship facilities were on par with other lines, we thought, nothing Disney did was far superior to others. Dining was a big disapointment. The themed dining rooms were neat. Breakfast and lunch buffets were about the same quality as other lines, but we did feel that there were less selections. The navigation of the Beach Blanket buffet area was very difficult compared to the Princess ships we have sailed as well as Celebrity's Century. Dinner selections and quality was nowhere near as good as the other lines.

The kids facilities were very good, but I think our 5 year old had just as much fun in the Princess facility last year. The staff was great with all of the kids. The Mickey pool was really great and was probably the highlite of the ship for our 5 year old.

The access to Characters was a very nice feature, but after a day of running into them at every turn, our daughter thought it was old news.

Cast Away Cay is by far the best private beach of all the lines we have sailed. Disney has done a great job in this department. The ready supply of chairs and umbrellas was a VERY nice touch.

I have to agree with other posters, Disney Dreams is probably the best ship show we have seen.

Another very nice Disney touch, they did a fireworks show on the 4th, off shore of Nassau. After passing out champagne in keepsake glasses, they played patriotic music and did a 10 min fireworks show.

Debarkation, I only have one question here - why doesn't the other cruise lines follow Disney's lead on this one. What a breeze getting off the ship. I think I was actually in shock as I walked out of breakfast in Tritons and right off the ship. NO waiting for someone to call out "those of you with blue tags may exit now".

In summary, we had a great time. Even a so-so cruise is better than being at home. Disney does a good job. Is the "Disney Difference" worth the extra cost of a Disney cruise? We don't think so. Unless we stumble onto a really, really good deal, we'll probably stick with Princess or Celebrity.

If anyone has any specific questions about the 3 day tour, feel free to ask.

we too are Georgians! We have done 2 Disney cruises...that's all. We very much want to do more cruises, but I can't imagine doing another Disney cruise. I had a good time, but for the money, I think we can have just as good of a time on another line. Some of the things, like the shows, were great even for a second time, but we want to try a 7-dayer, and I would go nuts on a Disney ship for that long (especially since we like to stay on the ship rather than do a lot of excursions). I thought the food was okay, but nothing fantastic. I did enjoy the breakfast buffets, but you are SO right about the way the lines empty into a small space, and then they set up waffles and omelet bars there. Very congested with kids all over. My 15 DS loved the programming and that is a concern if we try another line. But I think at the age he is, he will have a good time on any ship. He's WAY past the "characters" and just enjoyed hanging out and eating...he does not really need "planned" activities.

The split bath thing was lost on me. I agree, it's just a regular bath cut in half. I'd rather have a full bathroom.

Any recommendations of a ship sailing out of Tampa, Port Canaveral or maybe Miami? Do other ships have you sitting with the same folks at dinner each night? I really don't like this..I like to meet new folks.

zbuddy in AUGUSTA

I also agree- the Magic is on par with other ships we have been on. We have been on around 7 cruises and I thought the service was better on RCCL and Princess. Disney has it on entertainment and the private island. My kids loved the kids club, but I cannot compare with other lines, because this was the first time we brought our children. The cabin was okay, but with four of us it closed in quickly. I ended up showering most times at the spa. Great secret - large towels, large stalls, private. The Magic's spa was very nice. I loved the Rainforest. The terminal is beautiful and our embarkation was about the same as other cruises. Again to agree with you - debarkation is amazing. The other lines should follow Disney. It is such a downer after a wonderful trip to sit like cattle and wait to be called. I may travel Disney again if I go with the children. I don't think I would ever go as a couple.

zbuddy -

I can recommend Princess sailing out of Ft. Lauderdale. It is actually easier to get to the port from the airport in Ft. Lauderdale, or if you drive from Augusta, a little shorter drive.

If you enjoy staying on board the ship, try the 7 day eastern caribbean. You have a day at Princess Cay (nice, but not quite as nice as Cast Away Cay), then two days at sea I think, then a day in St. Marteen, then a day in St. Thomas, then another day at sea.

We did this route last year with our then 4 year old. It was great. I posted a review of our cruise over on the cruisecritic.com site.

We plan on trying the Mariner (RCCL) next year. It's new and will start sailing out of Port Canaveral next summer I believe. Still waiting for more info on it....After 3 DCL cruises and having older teens who seem to "love" cruising as a vacation, we are ready to try another cruise line.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter