Trip Report: Lopez Tonight and Jay Leno

Brancaneve

That means Snow White in another language.
My husband and I wanted a quick, inexpensive getaway and we got all of that and more this past week when we attended the tapings for Lopez Tonight and the Jay Leno show.

Many people have asked me how I was able to procure those tickets, but I I must say that it couldn't be easier. About a month ago, I went to their websites and picked the date we wanted to view the taping, and gave them my email, address, etc. The next day, the Jay Leno team responded with tickets but I had to wait a good 2 1/2 weeks to hear back from Lopez Tonight. Just remember that being given tickets does not guarantee that you will get in and have a seat. I'll tell you all about that later:)

During the first part of October, we searched for hotels that would be close to the Burbank Studios and were so pleased with our final choice. We booked an excellent room at the Hilton in Universal City. We had a view of the Hollywood Hills, as well as Universal Studios, and we were just steps away from City Walk. The location could not have been better, with the studios just 2 miles away. The room was clean, comfortable and very large.

I'll come back in a few to give you more details that may help you out someday if you ever decide to do this:)

I'm back to give you a little more......;) If you are a fan of George Lopez, the show is certainly a party but be prepared to have enough time and stamina. We arrived at the check in area(parking garage 8) at 11:00 am and went to the counter where we greeted the attendant. She asked if we would be interested in playing a game on the show and we nervously agreed. Perhaps it was our friendly nature, but she handed us two VIP tickets and we were told to return at 2:30. We arrived a little later to a large crowd and waited in the VIP section with tickets in hand. By 3:14, we were guided across the street, then another and then walked up a flight of steps to another waiting area that looked out on dozens of star trailers. By 4:00 we were in the studio and were seated in the second row just a few feet from George Lopez himself. :banana::banana:

If you go to any taping, PLEASE take a jacket. It was freezing in the studios and I had to watch all the workers walking around in parkas!! By cold, I mean 55 to 60 degrees cold, and the temperature dipped as the taping went on. :eek: This must be a new development considering that George seemed to sweat a lot less than he usually does. The guy in front of me had a down vest and he was complaining about the cold. My poor husband was sitting next to a very large gentleman who just about crushed him with his shoulder, and caused him to profusely sweat out of one armpit! Yet the rest of him was frozen solid. Couple that with no bathroom break and a light lunch, and we were slightly uncomfortable.

However, all of that was trumped by the excellent guest appearances, and the comedy of George Lopez. More to come later!

I'm listening :)

I will be in Burbank in 10 days for the taping of the premier of Conan on TBS! I'm anxious to here about this :
"Just remember that being given tickets does not guarantee that you will get in and have a seat. I'll tell you all about that later"
I have tickets, but almost wondering if I should be camping out the night before since this is the premiere.

debdreamsofdis......Conan and Lopez Tonight will be filmed at the same studio, and I am hoping/wondering if the set up will be the same for Conan as for LT. For Lopez Tonight, I was told by phone(not written in the email) that the check in area opens at 10:00 am. The email stated we had to be there no later than 2:30. If you show up at 2:30, you will have a hard chance of getting in. I don't think you have to camp out, and I honestly don't think they will allow you do so(not sure if you meant a literal camp). If you arrive by the time they open the waiting area, you should be just fine. :thumbsup2

For the Jay Leno show, an NBC employee told me that the waiting area opens at 11:00, at which that time we can line up for the first come, first serve tickets. We arrived at 1:30 to another large group of people. I was a little nervous about getting in until moments later another 50-100 people filed in behind us. Our tickets numbers were 178 and 179. By the time we were brought into the studio, it was pretty much full except for 6 seats at the VERY FRONT that were taped off!! :cool1: I imagine that all those people behind me did not get in. :sad2:

While we were waiting outside the studio, I remember reading several plaques saying that we were being filmed. Are there workers watching the crowd and then picking who should be in the front rows? :confused3

The JL show was extremely efficient, with 2 to 3 minute breaks in between segments. Jay Leno himself was so warm and kindhearted when he spoke with us before he changed from his usual jean shirt get up to his suit.:worship: The taping lasted a little over an hour and the studio was not nearly as cold as on LT. We had a great time and can be seen at the very beginning of the show.

My advice is to dress warmly, but wear bright colors and stay away from patterns or logos. I noticed that those with logos or crazy outfits were placed out of the camera's sight. I could be wrong, but what we seemed to observe. Keep your camera in the car or else they will make you take it back and then you will have to make your way back through all the hoops and check in points. Women may want to take a small purse because there isn't a lot of room to place your large bag. Plus, security will inspect your purse thoroughly and it is so much easier to have something simple and straightforward that will get you quickly through the line. Also, wear COMFORTABLE shoes!! I felt sorry for all the ladies who decided to wear platform 6 inch heels and summer dresses! I could see their discomfort after a few hours of waiting around, while I was nice and comfy in my stylish slip on mules with a low heel.
Make sure you have a good, solid lunch because we left both shows just famished!

Let me know if you have any more questions about an exciting and inexpensive getaway to Burbank!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter