• Controversial Topics Several months ago I added a private forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in opt-out. Click Here

Trip Report: Has DCL lost its Mojo?

DisneyD

Disney Lover since childhood!
First, let me begin by saying that I'm a huge fan of Disney and our first Disney cruise 6 years ago was outstanding in every way. So, it's difficult for me to complain about the poor cruise (June 14-18 Disney Wonder, 4 night) that I just returned from.

Guests: Me, DH (44), DD (12), DD (11)
Traveling buddies: DH (45), DW (43), DS (11), DD (7)

The ship: I know it's getting older, and Disney is concentrating their efforts on the Magic and the new ships, but this ship could really use an overhaul. There was a foul smell in our hallway outside our door during the entire cruise. The curtains in the stateroom were terribly faded and the bathroom floor needed a really good scrubbing. There was also a moldy smell in the room the entire time.

Meals: What a shock! The only good meal we had was at Palo. The others, not so good (and that's what I was looking forward to most on our return cruise). The servers kept pushing particular dishes each night and seemed rather miffed when we chose to order something else. I suspect that the chefs had cooked the suggested course in large quantities to move people out faster, so that's why they were pushing it. On the few nights we went with their suggestions, it was downright awful. Steak had a ton of fat on it. The only saving grace was the desserts. Those were outstanding.

Servers: On our first cruise, I actually tipped 25 percent because we had such wonderful service. Not this time, though. I felt guilty leaving the minimum because they clearly didn't deserve it. The assistant and head server weren't very friendly (no casual bantor or a "how was your day?) to us or to each other. It's almost like they didn't like being paired together. I could sense it and so could the other family we were traveling with.

I asked how long they had been on the ship, thinking that maybe this was their first contract and they were new at this (which would partly explain the slow service). But it was their 3rd contract. Shouldn't they be experts by now?

Also, my iced tea glass sat empty for 30 minutes. I had to track down the assistant server for a refill. I looked around the dining room to see if he was just caught up at another table, but he was nowhere to be found. There were some meals when several members in our party never got their ordered drinks. A quick glance at other tables in our section revealed that I wasn't the only one not getting refills. When the food arrived, it was often lukewarm, like it had been sitting for a while.

And what about that bottle of wine?
The family we traveled with ordered a bottle of wine for my DH and I the night we dined at Palo, but it never arrived. When the DH discovered this, he called Guest Services. This happened on night 2 of our cruise. By Day 4 of the cruise they finally sent that bottle of wine; in the middle of the day to our stateroom. Now, we had a bottle of wine to lug home.

Disney Dreams: The show is great, if it works. About 3/4 of the way into it the action stopped. Hydraulics malfuntioned and the big hole on the stage wouldn't close. So, they shut down the show for about 20 minutes. I know that these things happen, but aren't they checking these things in advance? The night before was a movie showing, not a stage show, so there was plenty of time to check equipment, etc. The show never really got its momentum back.

Disembarkation Day:
We were assigned Triton's at 7 a.m. We settled in for what we thought would be a nice breakfast. Imagine my surprise when the 2 pancakes and 1 waffle I ordered arrived. They were tiny microwave pancakes that were cold and rubbery. The person who ordered eggs barely got one scoop (and they were terribly runny).

The real kicker happened when we went to get our luggage. This is an area Disney needs help on and I will post about this in another thread. A baggage handler that Disney subcontracts grabbed my bag, gave it to another family and I spent an hour looking for it. It was finally located (only because the family called once they had reached Tampa) and Disney PROMISED I would have my bag at home by Saturday (we disembarked on Thursday). But, since Disney didn't provide the billing info UPS wouldn't pick it up nor would Disney give me the contact info for the passenger who had my bag (got that from UPS and then googled them for a phone number; I got lucky. We've been talking and they said they've been given the run around from Disney. They've waited for 4 days to have my bag picked up). Now they're saying my bag should arrive tomorrow. Disney claims this happens all the time so if it does, why didn't they already know the billing code that UPS wanted so they could pick it up? Disney was paying for it. I feel I got the runaround.

There were plenty more things about this cruise I could tell you about, but I'll stop here. I spent $4800 to take my family on this cruise and another $800 on excursions, etc. I feel that Disney let me down big time. As for the other family, they were even more disappointed because it was their first (and now last) Disney cruise.

Sorry this is so long, but I'm just really depressed about this whole thing. I expected to come off a vacation high as a kite with giddiness, instead it's just been a so-so experience. I'm not used to this from Disney.

Comments anyone?

where was your room?

We were on the Wonder in Dec and going again soon and didn't notice the wear.

If you get a bad serving team it does make for a huge letdown-we had one one time and did complain immediately-they did not get better, but the head server came every night and checked on us and got us drinks and extras to try and make up for it.

Just got off the Magic and was not crazy about the food either, would have liked something simple, but good.

Sorry your trip did not meet your expectations

First, let me begin by saying that I'm a huge fan of Disney and our first Disney cruise 6 years ago was outstanding in every way. So, it's difficult for me to complain about the poor cruise (June 14-18 Disney Wonder, 4 night) that I just returned from.

Guests: Me, DH (44), DD (12), DD (11)
Traveling buddies: DH (45), DW (43), DS (11), DD (7)

The ship: I know it's getting older, and Disney is concentrating their efforts on the Magic and the new ships, but this ship could really use an overhaul. There was a foul smell in our hallway outside our door during the entire cruise. The curtains in the stateroom were terribly faded and the bathroom floor needed a really good scrubbing. There was also a moldy smell in the room the entire time.

Meals: What a shock! The only good meal we had was at Palo. The others, not so good (and that's what I was looking forward to most on our return cruise). The servers kept pushing particular dishes each night and seemed rather miffed when we chose to order something else. I suspect that the chefs had cooked the suggested course in large quantities to move people out faster, so that's why they were pushing it. On the few nights we went with their suggestions, it was downright awful. Steak had a ton of fat on it. The only saving grace was the desserts. Those were outstanding.

Servers: On our first cruise, I actually tipped 25 percent because we had such wonderful service. Not this time, though. I felt guilty leaving the minimum because they clearly didn't deserve it. The assistant and head server weren't very friendly (no casual bantor or a "how was your day?) to us or to each other. It's almost like they didn't like being paired together. I could sense it and so could the other family we were traveling with.

I asked how long they had been on the ship, thinking that maybe this was their first contract and they were new at this (which would partly explain the slow service). But it was their 3rd contract. Shouldn't they be experts by now?

Also, my iced tea glass sat empty for 30 minutes. I had to track down the assistant server for a refill. I looked around the dining room to see if he was just caught up at another table, but he was nowhere to be found. There were some meals when several members in our party never got their ordered drinks. A quick glance at other tables in our section revealed that I wasn't the only one not getting refills. When the food arrived, it was often lukewarm, like it had been sitting for a while.

And what about that bottle of wine?
The family we traveled with ordered a bottle of wine for my DH and I the night we dined at Palo, but it never arrived. When the DH discovered this, he called Guest Services. This happened on night 2 of our cruise. By Day 4 of the cruise they finally sent that bottle of wine; in the middle of the day to our stateroom. Now, we had a bottle of wine to lug home.

Disney Dreams: The show is great, if it works. About 3/4 of the way into it the action stopped. Hydraulics malfuntioned and the big hole on the stage wouldn't close. So, they shut down the show for about 20 minutes. I know that these things happen, but aren't they checking these things in advance? The night before was a movie showing, not a stage show, so there was plenty of time to check equipment, etc. The show never really got its momentum back.

Disembarkation Day:
We were assigned Triton's at 7 a.m. We settled in for what we thought would be a nice breakfast. Imagine my surprise when the 2 pancakes and 1 waffle I ordered arrived. They were tiny microwave pancakes that were cold and rubbery. The person who ordered eggs barely got one scoop (and they were terribly runny).

The real kicker happened when we went to get our luggage. This is an area Disney needs help on and I will post about this in another thread. A baggage handler that Disney subcontracts grabbed my bag, gave it to another family and I spent an hour looking for it. It was finally located (only because the family called once they had reached Tampa) and Disney PROMISED I would have my bag at home by Saturday (we disembarked on Thursday). But, since Disney didn't provide the billing info UPS wouldn't pick it up nor would Disney give me the contact info for the passenger who had my bag (got that from UPS and then googled them for a phone number; I got lucky. We've been talking and they said they've been given the run around from Disney. They've waited for 4 days to have my bag picked up). Now they're saying my bag should arrive tomorrow. Disney claims this happens all the time so if it does, why didn't they already know the billing code that UPS wanted so they could pick it up? Disney was paying for it. I feel I got the runaround.

There were plenty more things about this cruise I could tell you about, but I'll stop here. I spent $4800 to take my family on this cruise and another $800 on excursions, etc. I feel that Disney let me down big time. As for the other family, they were even more disappointed because it was their first (and now last) Disney cruise.

Sorry this is so long, but I'm just really depressed about this whole thing. I expected to come off a vacation high as a kite with giddiness, instead it's just been a so-so experience. I'm not used to this from Disney.

Comments anyone?

We have also seen the changes in Disney - we are sailing on our 8th Disney cruise in approx. 3 weeks, and I'm really not looking forward to the choices of food, like in previous years. We are seriously now looking at RCCL or Holland America again.... We are Disney lovers (own DVC) so this is really hard for us to give up this cruise line.

I haven't been on the Wonder since September 2007, so can't really comment on that. But when I was on the Wonder last my servers weren't the best hope servers I have in August are better.

How was the cruise staff on the cruise? ever cruise I have gone on I have become friends with like all them, so if they are still cool and chill I don't have to worry about not having a good time

When we cruised on the Magic last December our serving team was very average. It became our running joke because my husband NEVER got his 2nd glass of wine at dinner no matter who he asked for it. The food was also very average except for Palo. We just went on a Carnival cruise in May and were very impressed with the food. Our servers were OK, but not great. Reading comments from others here, I kind of feel like we (us and you) got the short end of the stick. I'm hoping that we will have a better serving team in November. Sorry your trip wasn't all that you had hoped for.:flower3:

Don't get me wrong I too, love DCL and are leaving Saturday on a Western 7day but I'm crossing my fingers. Last June on our 4nt we had servers that again, did not work together...they didn't remember or write down our names...they didn't interract with our kids (as they did others around us)...they would make napkin animals for everyone but us. I said I guess we were just too danged intimidating or something...haha!...but it was the coldest servers we'd had.

We also complained about workers on the Goofy pool deck drilling out screws with metal shavings going in the pool and the deck where the kids were playing...as my ds stepped on one.

I also notice the drink station ice machines were broke and DCL supplied what my kids called "recycling bins" full of ice...sometimes a CM was there getting ice for you but most of it not. If you didn't know the ice was in the bin you left without.

We did leave the ship with our comments in hopes to improve the areas we stated....but still loved the other qualities and service DCL offered.

Hi thanks for the review.
I have been on 4 cruises with 3 different cruise lines. I have found the food in the Dining rooms are just OK. I have never thought the food was "wow". So we started to skip the MDR's. On the Radiance of the Sea, we ate at the extra cost restaurants. The food was fabulous. The buffet at dining time was also very good and fresh. I went on the Wonder two years ago and I also felt that the Dining Room food was just OK. But the buffet area was turned into a sit down casual dining and the food was made to order. And it was great. I guess my point is that we still enjoy cruising, but not for the dining room experience. I think of MDR experiences like good wedding food. Just look at the logistics of getting the food to the table for 3000-5000 people. And the bigger the ship, I have found the food is more plain. I am not surprised by your disappointment. It you go on cruisecritic.com you will read that many cruisers are finding cut backs in the food and dining experience. :):)

We were on the June 14 Wonder as well. We noticed a few of the same issues as you did. There was a really bad smell on deck 9 on Nassau day. We couldn't tell if it was coming from the harbor or from the ship. It was gone the next day. Also, the breakfast on debarkation day was very disappointing. I ordered Cream of Wheat and it was cold and watery - obviously instant and not made correctly. Everyone else's b'fasts were small portions and not tasty at all.

Our dining room server was a bit moody - friendly one day, distant the next - but our assistant server more than made up for it. She was very upbeat, kept our glasses full and remembered our preferences. I thought the food was pretty good with one exception. In Parrot Cay I had the ribeye which was fine. The potato that came with it tasted just like it came out of a box. It was terrible! Other than that I was happy with the food - especially in Palo.

Our room was in great condition and was kept very clean throughout our cruise.

We went to the early show of Disney Dreams which had no technical issues. I do know that this is a highly technical show and on a previous cruise we were held up from entering the theater because of a problem. I can imagine a stop mid-show would be very distracting and disappointing.

Overall I didn't notice a decline from previous cruises - this was my fifth. And character interaction was the best of any cruise I have been on. But it is clear that there are problems with consistency. Some people have a great room and servers, and others not so much. Hopefully some time in drydock will help.

I'm so sorry you had a letdown vacation experience. I've been telling my kids for 8 months how great this is going to be....maybe I should start preparing them for mediocrity. :rolleyes:

I'm so sorry you had a letdown vacation experience. I've been telling my kids for 8 months how great this is going to be....maybe I should start preparing them for mediocrity. :rolleyes:

NO, don't tell your kids that - IF they've never been on a Disney cruise before, they will love it! :cloud9:
Even with the downfalls, my DH and I can't convince our kids (17 and 22) to try another cruise line!:sad2:

Stated well: don't go on Disney for the food, go for the disney experience - it is great. :woohoo:
Also let me state here, we've never been disappointed in our cabin stewards.
they are very hard workers.:thumbsup2

Thank you DisneyD for being so honest and having the guts to post your bad expierence. I'm always reading about how great disney is and how they wouldn't sail on no other cruise line(which I think is crazy not to give someone else a chance or do something different) and that you're going to have a great time and that the kids will love it. In reality everything is not always great and sometimes people do drop the ball.

AND YES EVEN DISNEY.

couple of things to note.
disney has recently changed management at DCL and when you get new management you get changes. also Disney is already starting to staff and train for the new ships. New hires usually begin training on the wonder, and that could be why there is so much inconsistency among the staff right now. I hate to suggest that with all the changes going on at DCL, cruisers need to have a little bit of patience and try and go with the flow. IF there is something that happens that doesn't get taken care of, or if there are changes that you don't like, by all means complain. otherwise things won't change. oh and if i remember right, the wonder is scheduled to go into drydock this fall, so hopefully things like faded curtains will be taken care of then.

Thanks for the info everyone. I was just really disappointed this time, especially with our servers.

By the way, I still don't have my luggage and my ship docked a week ago!

We returned from our Magic cruise a little over a month ago and felt the same way. Our first cruise was AMAZING in every way! I can't remember a single complaint from that trip. Our most recent cruise wasn't bad...it just didn't wow us (and that was coming off of two Carnival cruises).

We did book another "dummy date" cruise onboard (mainly to secure the discount), but I have been seriously thinking about getting my money refunded. We don't care much for the Disney Caribbean/Bahamas itineraries and aren't that fond of paying "Disney" prices to be on a 12 year old ship in Alaska/Mexican Riviera.

It breaks my heart to feel this way, but I think that Disney has really lowered their bar... We'll probably stick to Disney on land and other lines at sea unless some major changes start to materialize. :guilty:

I think you have every right to be upset. Things happen and sometimes we have to roll with it but when you book a DCL you expect top notch quality and service. When I was debating on whether to book a DCL, I asked disboard because in my mind I couldn't justify the cost when I have sailed with RCCL and Carnival for cheaper. The constant response was you get what you pay for. Well now as a mom, I know my daughter would enjoy it and I booked during the off season so it was considerably cheaper. But I must tell you I have high expectations. I am grateful for this thread because while I still have high expectations, I can lower the bar....slightly;)

after 7 cruises on DCL I've learned one thing, don't go in expecting anything and you'll have a great time:cool1::goodvibes, with that said I know the Wonder will prob look a little out of shape when I cruise in August, but that's because it is a little before drydock.

We were on the June 14th cruise as well. Since it was our first cruise I have nothing to compare it too. Overall our experience was positive. I found the cast members to be very helpful every time we needed something and would rate the level of service high.

That being said, the food was OK. Not great, but OK. Tritons was our first night and by far my favorite. AP was our second night and the food was fair. I don't know if the "show" at AP was working properly that night but I was disappointed in what I saw. The server told us Disney paid 14 mil. for the effects at AP. If that's true they should get their money back. It was less than spectacular to say the least.:rolleyes1 The pirate night menu was OK. The last night at PC the food ranged from great to OK. My DW's food was really good (and I picked off her plate). I had a pork chop that was dry and chewy. Most every dessert was good to great. Just a quick side note, I did come home with a few extra lbs. so I guess it couldn't have been too terrible. We had breakfast everyday at Beach Blanket Buffet (including debarkation day) and thought it was fine. I read on the DIS boards that BBB is a good place to have breakfast on debarkation morning and I would agree.

We were also at the Disney Dreams show when the stage broke. I was very disappointed. I understand that these things happen, but was really enjoying the show when everything came to a grinding halt. You're right, they tried to finish the show without the hydraulic lifts, but it was obviously not designed to go that way. However, my kids still told me they liked that show the best, even with the problems. That surprised me and showed me how wonderful it is to see things through a child's eyes. They didn't care about the hic-ups, they just knew they were having a carefree time on vacation. That helped me remember what we were there for and it kind of brought it home for me.:goodvibes

Also, my hat's off to the two cast members who entertained us while we waited for the show to start again. They brought kids up from the audience and had them sing songs and do silly things. Some of the kids were really funny and some were really cute. It was a very awkward situation for the crew members and they did a great job.:thumbsup2

On a scale of 1-10 for our experience I'd say it was a 8.9. I could see some areas where the ship was looking tired. However, every time we pulled into port they were washing her, painting her, and working hard to her ship shape.:) Our stateroom was on deck 8 and everything looked good.

I would sail on DCL again but I wouldn't rule out other carriers in the future.

WE WILL CRUISE AGAIN!!:woohoo:

Wow, your cruise experience sounds identical to the one we had last year on NCL. I would have expected better from Disney. We sail on the Magic again in October (first time since 2007) and we are taking a family member who has never cruised or been to Disney. I worry that she will be disappointed!

I haven't been on the Wonder since September 2007, so can't really comment on that. But when I was on the Wonder last my servers weren't the best hope servers I have in August are better.

How was the cruise staff on the cruise? ever cruise I have gone on I have become friends with like all them, so if they are still cool and chill I don't have to worry about not having a good time

We sailed the Wonder for a second time in 2006 when they had the extended 10-day sailings that September. I was stunned at how "worn down" the ship looked! There was worn carpeting, missing tiles, paint repair needed -- and only half the deck chairs were ever out! Our servers were lousy and admitted halfway through the cruise that they were not used to guests staying so long. If they were worried about getting enough gratuity -- they should have treated everyone better and been more professional!

We sailed the Wonder for a second time in 2006 when they had the extended 10-day sailings that September. I was stunned at how "worn down" the ship looked! There was worn carpeting, missing tiles, paint repair needed -- and only half the deck chairs were ever out! Our servers were lousy and admitted halfway through the cruise that they were not used to guests staying so long. If they were worried about getting enough gratuity -- they should have treated everyone better and been more professional!

well I'm not really worried about the Wonder being worn down, I expect it since it will be going into dry dock. If I see my friends on the ship that's enough for me, that's why I cruise

I am sorry to hear your cruise was not up to your expectations.
My first ever cruise was on Carnival. My other two were a 7 day on Magic and 4 day on Wonder. Since 1996, Carnival has lost 40 people overboard.:scared1: 8 were rescued alive. Disney has lost NONE! Although I did read a report about a teen who jumped from deck 4 on a dare while in port.:confused3
Based on that alone, I think I'll stick with Disney.:goodvibes
On our first cruise, we had some not so great food from the quick service stations by the pools, Pinocchio's and Pluto's.
On the second, my parents complained that some of their meals weren't good, but I can't take their word for it as they are older and losing their taste buds. Our server, Edwin was always asking my mother if everything was o.k. because although she has food allergies, she is very hard to please.:sad2:
I may be in the minority here, but neither me or my DH have been all that fond of the DCL desserts. I think they are big on looks and lacking in flavor. We went to a midnight buffet and tried at least 8 different cakes. We would take one bite each and leave it on the plate.
That being said, our over all experience wasn't about the food, or the carpet being worn or the curtains faded. I'm sure everyone has had a bad day, week, month at work. I'm not making excuses for them because I guarantee if it were me being ignored, I would have made a big stink right there! Then again, thats why I'm not in customer service.:thumbsup2
Considering I have not had enough experience with other cruise lines, I am not one to judge, but until DCL really goes down hill... I'm sticking with the mouse.:worship:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter