Trip Report for WL and Polynesian!!

mariamouse

DIS Veteran
Well, I just returned yesterday from a 5-day trip to the WL and Polynesian.

Wilderness Lodge: The lobby is so amazing. You can stay in there for hours and still find something new and unique! The fireplace was very cool and also the bubbling water under the bridge. I loved the humongous lamps also. The couches and chairs in the sitting areas were so comfortable! The room was noticeably smaller than the other deluxe resorts, but was fine regardless. I liked the bedspreads and paintings. The light over the sink was cool also. We had paid for a standard view, but had asked for a room opening right out into the lobby. I believe we got upgraded because the nice lady that checked us in said that it was a woods view room. The view was nothing to rave about, just a few trees and a parking lot to the left and behind the trees. The balcony wall was too high to see anything when you sat down in it anyway. One problem we had was that we were right above the Whispering Canyon Cafe (a loud restaurant!), so we could hear the noise and trucks bringing and taking things for the meals even when the balcony door was closed. However, it was faint. But when both doors to the room and lobby were open, it was loud. This room was definitely for early-risers! We were on the fourth floor, but I cannot remember the room number. Being right above the lobby was great and anyone who can get a room located here is lucky. I would request a room opposite the restaurant, though. I was surprised at how small the TV was because I had imagined it being larger, but that didn't really matter. Both the toilets at the WL and Polynesian were VERY loud! I don't know how they can even make that much sound! I jumped every time I flushed, but this is also very minor and didn't effect our vacation. We didn't try Artist Point, but did the Whispering Canyon Cafe twice. I highly recommend it for people who don't mind a peppy, loud meal. Two women were forced to run out in the lobby on pony sticks while yelling "happy birthday" to a relative! It is certainly an entertaining restaurant! The meals were very good also. Roaring Forks was the typical take-out food place, but also good if you are on the run or do not want to pay too much for a meal. The pool was nice. I especially thought it was cool how the river came from the lobby right into the pool. Try fighting the current where the river and pool meet, it is certainly hard and a work-out! The slide was small, but fast, and not too crowded for the wait. The geyser was great also, but didn't go up as high as I had thought it would. Nevertheless, I liked seeing it erupt every hour. The Wilderness Lodge was a great resort and I enjoyed it very much! I would return there any day and it is particularly good since it is the least expensive deluxe! The architecture is fabulous and it has more character than most of the other resorts.

Polynesian Resort: I think I may have found my new favorite resort! Everything about it was perfect. TIKIMAN- you are finally becoming famous at the Polynesian Resort! When my mom told the very kind man at check-in that I was a big fan of this resort, he asked if I had heard of Tikiman before! I said, "of course! his website is amazing!" We recommended it to a new employee at the Polynesian also. Thank you for all your help! My mom and I requested a room in Tokelau, preferably overlooking the lagoon. We got room # 1916 in that longhouse. Straight from the balcony, you could see the boat from the TTC and the lagoon. Just a couple steps out, the Contemporary, Space Mountain, Magic Kingdom castle, and Grand Floridian were fully visible. The Electrical Parade could be seen from the balcony too. We were so lucky to get this amazing view. I strongly suggest requesting Tokelau because the chances of getting a view of the lagoon in a garden view room are pretty good. The room was very spacious and I love the overhangings above the beds! It was a big change from the smaller room at the WL. The shower and bathroom area was very nice also. The GCH is beautiful with all the plants and wonderful sitting areas. Trader Jacks is terrific for buying Disney Merchandise. Kona Cafe remains a great restaurant! It is my mom's favorite because you always have a good dish there. It is less expensive than a lot of the restaurants in WDW and the food is better than most of the others. My mom enjoyed the coffee from Hawaii also. No, I did not try the Tonga Toast, so I cannot tell you about it. The monorail access was so convenient. At night, the torches lit around the resort make the whole feel of being in Hawaii greaten. It was so magical! The pool was so fun! The slide (be prepared for a long line) was great. I heard the "please wait for the signal to turn green before entering the slide" thing about 100 times before entering it myself. I didn't hear the Hawaiin music underwater, sadly. I cannot say enough good things about the Polynesian and I would return there in a second, if only the rates were cheaper!

I know I missed a lot of things because I have too many good things to say about each, but this is already way too long! I'm sorry for the length. If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask! I will try to answer them the best I can! It was a great trip and I happily await the next!

~mariamouse!~ :smooth:

We'll be checking in to the Poly in 7 days. I can't wait. Thanks for the info. I've got a couple of quick questions. Did you eat at O'hana's? I'm curious about the crowds. How busy were the parks and the resort?

Mahalo!! :cool:

Thanks for the fantastic review!!!!!!!

I agree that both resorts are amazing! I never stayed at the WL, but have visited it many many times, it is just amazing, I can imagine that staying over the lobby must be wonderful!

The Poly is such a tropical paradise! I stayed there three times, and yes... I encountered cm's who knew Tikiman also! Steve certainly is famous! :)

thanks again, glad you had such a great trip!

Laura :)

Thanks for the replies!

dive-in: my mom and I did have reservations for Ohana's, but canceled it when we learned that it was all family-style. We did not eat some of the meat on the menu, so we didn't want to pay for things we didn't eat! However, it is said to be terrific and you should try it if you aren't in our situation. During the first couple days at the WL, there were almost no crowds! We walked on everything in the Animal Kingdom. Then, when it went into value season, the day we were checking out of the WL, there was a humongous line to check-in then! When we went into the parks in value season, it was more crowded with small lines, but nothing was way too crowded. Enjoy your trip!

Bump!

~mariamouse~ :smooth:

Glad you had fun. Those are two of my favorite resorts. :D

We ate at O'hana Monday night and it was wonderful (as usual). :) I highly recommend it! :)

Great trip report! :) Sounds like you had a fabulous time. :)

Glad you had a great time. The Poly is our favorite resort too!

It's always nice to hear people's good reports. I agree about the Poly. We have stayed at WL also, but the Poly is sooooo magical, we love it!! And yes I have to agree about Tikiman, he is certainly becoming a "legend" at the resort. We talked about him with the CMS also. His web-site is just fabulous, wonderful source of info about everything Poly. Glad you had a nice time!!! We can't wait to get back to the Poly too!!!!!

Thanks for all the replies!!
TigrlvsPooh- we were supposed to eat at Ohana Monday night also! We probably would have ran into each other!
bump!

~mariamouse~

Thanks for the great info we are leaving tomorrow. Even though we have been there before it's always good to here from other people.

Thanks for the great report!

I LOVE WL!

We hope to stay at Poly in June for a few days:D

mariamouse: I enjoyed reading your trip report and have many of the same feelings about both resorts having stayed there also. When I was at WL in July we were upgraded without asking form a standard view to a courtyard view, that was a nice surprise.

The Poly is my favorite hands down and like you also, the only thing keeping me from staying there every year is the price.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter