Trip Report - 16 Days in Hawaii - Maui, Oahu, and Aulani!

We love "Sushi Bay Kapolei". That is what both my kids call it because of the rhyming.
I think you guys got to see some of the set stuff from the NEW King Kong movie that comes out next month called Kong:Skull Island with Tom Hiddleston as some of it was filmed at Kualoa.

We love "Sushi Bay Kapolei". That is what both my kids call it because of the rhyming.
I think you guys got to see some of the set stuff from the NEW King Kong movie that comes out next month called Kong:Skull Island with Tom Hiddleston as some of it was filmed at Kualoa.

I think you are right about the Kong movie! For some reason, I thought I had recently seen an advertisement for it coming out on DVD soon, but I guess it was for the movie theaters. :blush:

I am totally loving your trip report! We just missed each other at Aulani, we were there in early June. We celebrated our 20th anniversary by going to Hawaii and California with the kids.

I would move to Hawaii in a heartbeat! Looking forward to reading more about your wonderful family.

Great trip report - I'm loving it, and making some additional "must-do" notes in my planning for next month - can't wait to read more!

Thanks! And I bet you are stoked to be returning this summer. :hippie:

Thanks! Yeah, making those collages from time to time are fun. You should totally do it too! :thumbsup2 And how exciting that you are preparing for your first trip this summer. Hopefully, I'll have some good tips for you.

Thanks! Wow, you are totally doing it right. That sounds amazing!

Thanks! Really loving your trip report. I keep checking to see if you've added more.
Your pics are so beautiful along with your family. You guys really did a lot!!!
:thumbsup2

I am totally loving your trip report! We just missed each other at Aulani, we were there in early June. We celebrated our 20th anniversary by going to Hawaii and California with the kids.

I would move to Hawaii in a heartbeat! Looking forward to reading more about your wonderful family.

Thanks! Happy belated 20th. Stephanie and I will be celebrating our 20th this year. How time flies!

Great trip report - I'm loving it, and making some additional "must-do" notes in my planning for next month - can't wait to read more!

Awesome! I'm glad you are finding it helpful for you must do list! The problem is... there are just too many must do's!!!

Thanks! Really loving your trip report. I keep checking to see if you've added more.
Your pics are so beautiful along with your family. You guys really did a lot!!!
:thumbsup2

Thanks! Stay tuned, I'll have another post up here in a few minutes :hippie:

Loving your trip report! Making some notes for our trip next April!

Cool! I hope you have an amazing trip in April. That's just around the corner!

Day 12 - Wednesday, June 29 - Part 1: The North Shore

Wow… this TR is moving along at full steam now... We've made it to our last full day based at the Ko Olina Villas Resort.

The plan for today was to go up and explore the north shore. We hoped to see Turtle Beach, stop at one of the shrimp trucks, try Matsumoto's Shave Ice, and just enjoy driving along the north shore. And we planned to stop by the Dole Plantation on the way back.

We decided to stop at Turtle Beach first. (Technically, it's called Laniakea Beach, but everyone seems to call it Turtle Beach.) We parked along the side of the road, crossed the street, and low and behold, there were indeed a bunch of big turtles on the beach!!!!

How cool!!!!

There were some people out snorkeling and stuff, but most people admired them from the beach….

They had a lady on duty who shared all sorts of information about the turtles. She even knew them all by name. And she was very diligent to remind people to keep their distance. We probably spent about 20 minutes or so watching, and then decided to move on.

We slowly drove up the North Shore… it was way more flat and steady than I expected. Funny, everyone always talks about driving up the North Shore, but I think this was easily the least interesting drive of the entire trip. Probably amazing by any other standards, but after seeing so many other breathtaking shores across Maui and Oahu, this felt sort of ho hum. I guess if we had visited during big wave season, then watching the surfers would have made it more interesting.

Eventually, we made our way to Giovanni's Shrimp Truck.

I love seafood, and to be honest, I was looking forward to trying this the whole trip. Garlicky shrimp scampi? Yes, PLEASE!!!!

Stephanie, Princess, and I each had the shrimp scampi. Unfortunately, it was a bit of a let down. Certainly enjoyable (I mean, I'd love to be eating some right now), but it didn't live up to the hype. I'd probably try one of their competitors next time.

Pickle went for the lemon shrimp, but it wasn't as good as the scampi...

Those things were super messy! Good thing they had an outside station to wash your hands!!!

What about Buddy? He doesn't like shrimp. They had some other food trucks and flea market stuff in the same area, so he decided to explore a bit. We found a dude who literally looked like Maui from the Moana movie. Seriously… he was big like that, same hair, and similar tattoos all over his body. Anyway, he had a little grill area and he was selling burgers, chicken and stuff. Buddy decided to get a burger from him. We chatted the whole time. Super nice and interesting guy! He was actually a fire twirler (or whatever you call them) by night, and did this to make a little extra money on the side. He had some great stories. Too bad that Buddy found the burger to be disgusting. The guy was so friendly, that Buddy didn't have the heart to toss it in the trash. So he ate it as if he was company at someone's house. LOL. Poor guy. (At least he didn't get sick like at that fish place on Maui.)

We decided to head back south from here… Still wanting to try Matsumoto's Shave Ice.

We stopped a few times to get out and walk along the beach, but we never got in the water…

Eventually, we made our way back to through Haleiwa for Matsumoto Shave Ice.

I think this might be the most famous shave ice place on the islands, so we were stoked to try it! It was in a little shopping village….

Next door to a T&C Surf Designs shop. Remember those t-shirts from the 80's? (I do. And the Nintendo game too!)

Anyway… There was a bit of a line, but it really wasn't too bad. It probably only took about 10 minutes to get through.

(I ended up getting a t-shirt with that Mastumoto's design on it. It sort of has a fun 70's/80's vibe to it. I love wearing it!)

So yeah, this place was a bit more upscale than Ululani's in Kihei. I wonder how it'll compare?

This one was mine. Ramune, peach, and passion fruit.

Buddy had sour apple, lemonade, and lemon.

Pickle had cotton candy and watermelon.

Princess had ramune with azuki beans, ice cream, and mochi!

Wow, that's a tower!

And Stephanie, had lime, guava, and cotton candy… with ice cream on the bottom.

How was it? Well compared to any snow cone you've ever had on the mainland, it was awesome. But we liked Ululani's a bit better. The ice itself had a more light and airy texture at Ululani's. The syrups were probably equally awesome though.

We browsed around in their gift shop for a while. I picked up that shirt, and we got a couple other knickknacks too. Fun!

If you want to watch, here's a quick clip of everyone describing what they got...

Day 12 - Wednesday, June 29 - Part 1: The North Shore

Wow… this TR is moving along at full steam now... We've made it to our last full day based at the Ko Olina Villas Resort.

The plan for today was to go up and explore the north shore. We hoped to see Turtle Beach, stop at one of the shrimp trucks, try Matsumoto's Shave Ice, and just enjoy driving along the north shore. And we planned to stop by the Dole Plantation on the way back.

We decided to stop at Turtle Beach first. (Technically, it's called Laniakea Beach, but everyone seems to call it Turtle Beach.) We parked along the side of the road, crossed the street, and low and behold, there were indeed a bunch of big turtles on the beach!!!!

How cool!!!!

There were some people out snorkeling and stuff, but most people admired them from the beach….

They had a lady on duty who shared all sorts of information about the turtles. She even knew them all by name. And she was very diligent to remind people to keep their distance. We probably spent about 20 minutes or so watching, and then decided to move on.

We slowly drove up the North Shore… it was way more flat and steady than I expected. Funny, everyone always talks about driving up the North Shore, but I think this was easily the least interesting drive of the entire trip. Probably amazing by any other standards, but after seeing so many other breathtaking shores across Maui and Oahu, this felt sort of ho hum. I guess if we had visited during big wave season, then watching the surfers would have made it more interesting.

Eventually, we made our way to Giovanni's Shrimp Truck.

I love seafood, and to be honest, I was looking forward to trying this the whole trip. Garlicky shrimp scampi? Yes, PLEASE!!!!

Stephanie, Princess, and I each had the shrimp scampi. Unfortunately, it was a bit of a let down. Certainly enjoyable (I mean, I'd love to be eating some right now), but it didn't live up to the hype. I'd probably try one of their competitors next time.

Pickle went for the lemon shrimp, but it wasn't as good as the scampi...

Those things were super messy! Good thing they had an outside station to wash your hands!!!

What about Buddy? He doesn't like shrimp. They had some other food trucks and flea market stuff in the same area, so he decided to explore a bit. We found a dude who literally looked like Maui from the Moana movie. Seriously… he was big like that, same hair, and similar tattoos all over his body. Anyway, he had a little grill area and he was selling burgers, chicken and stuff. Buddy decided to get a burger from him. We chatted the whole time. Super nice and interesting guy! He was actually a fire twirler (or whatever you call them) by night, and did this to make a little extra money on the side. He had some great stories. Too bad that Buddy found the burger to be disgusting. The guy was so friendly, that Buddy didn't have the heart to toss it in the trash. So he ate it as if he was company at someone's house. LOL. Poor guy. (At least he didn't get sick like at that fish place on Maui.)

We decided to head back south from here… Still wanting to try Matsumoto's Shave Ice.

We stopped a few times to get out and walk along the beach, but we never got in the water…

Eventually, we made our way back to through Haleiwa for Matsumoto Shave Ice.

I think this might be the most famous shave ice place on the islands, so we were stoked to try it! It was in a little shopping village….

Next door to a T&C Surf Designs shop. Remember those t-shirts from the 80's? (I do. And the Nintendo game too!)

Anyway… There was a bit of a line, but it really wasn't too bad. It probably only took about 10 minutes to get through.

(I ended up getting a t-shirt with that Mastumoto's design on it. It sort of has a fun 70's/80's vibe to it. I love wearing it!)

So yeah, this place was a bit more upscale than Ululani's in Kihei. I wonder how it'll compare?

This one was mine. Ramune, peach, and passion fruit.

Buddy had sour apple, lemonade, and lemon.

Pickle had cotton candy and watermelon.

Princess had ramune with azuki beans, ice cream, and mochi!

Wow, that's a tower!

And Stephanie, had lime, guava, and cotton candy… with ice cream on the bottom.

How was it? Well compared to any snow cone you've ever had on the mainland, it was awesome. But we liked Ululani's a bit better. The ice itself had a more light and airy texture at Ululani's. The syrups were probably equally awesome though.

We browsed around in their gift shop for a while. I picked up that shirt, and we got a couple other knickknacks too. Fun!

If you want to watch, here's a quick clip of everyone describing what they got...

So happy to read more!!

We will be going end of Nov into Dec, so I'm going to assume we will get to see some huge waves and surfers.

The beaches were beautiful and the turtles were so cool!!

Oh those shrimp!? I'm a HUGE seafood fan!! Yummy!!!!!

I can't wait to try to shave ice in both Maui and Ohau! I was drooling watching that video lol

Did you find the drive long?

Could you have kept going or did you turn around once their wasn't much left to see??

I'm curious to see how you enjoyed the Dole Plantation. We plan on stopping their first and working our way up...

Thanks again!:thumbsup2

So happy to read more!!

We will be going end of Nov into Dec, so I'm going to assume we will get to see some huge waves and surfers.

The beaches were beautiful and the turtles were so cool!!

Oh those shrimp!? I'm a HUGE seafood fan!! Yummy!!!!!

I can't wait to try to shave ice in both Maui and Ohau! I was drooling watching that video lol

Did you find the drive long?

Could you have kept going or did you turn around once their wasn't much left to see??

I'm curious to see how you enjoyed the Dole Plantation. We plan on stopping their first and working our way up...

Thanks again!:thumbsup2

Ooh! You are lucky to be going during the big wave season. That should be pretty awesome!

No, the drive wasn't long at all. (Nothing like the road to Hana.) It's probably an hour to an hour and a half to drive up to the northernmost tip. And then factor in how many times you want to stop and get out.

Yes, we could have kept going. In reality, we weren't all that far from the Kualoa Ranch if we had kept on driving. But we knew that we wanted to head back to Matsumoto's and the Dole Plantation, so we figured that we'd had gone far enough at the time.

Stay tuned for the Dole Plantation. And I think your plan of stopping there first is better than our of stopping on the way back. Probably less crowded in the morning.

Day 12 - Wednesday, June 29 - Part 2: Dole Plantation

After we finished at Matsumoto's, we decided to drive through town and just explore a bit. On a whim, we decided to just turn down some random roads… to see what we'd find. Somehow, we ended up at this cool beach park…

The older kids were over it by now and just wanted to chill in the car, but Stephanie, Pickle, and I decided to get out for a walk.

It sure was a pretty beach!

It was now probably about 2:30 PM, and we decided to head over to the Dole Plantation next.

It was cool to see all the pineapple fields along the road!

And eventually we made it!

The parking lot was packed. We literally had to drive around for a few minutes to find a single empty space!

When you first go inside, you enter through a giant gift shop. We probably spent a good 30 minutes looking at everything! Lots of pineapple themed treats, and then all the clothes and touristy souvenir stuff. It was actually a lot of fun to browse through...

I ended up getting my second t-shirt of the day here too :-)

We made our way towards the back of the building. And we were sort of in a dilemma. We were still full from Mastumoto's... Do we want to get Dole Whips too? Nostolgia got the best of us, and we decided to go ahead. How often do you get to have a Dole Whip at the Dole plantation?!?!? Except for when we got back there. The line was so ridiculously long, it wasn't even funny. It would have probably taken an hour to get through it. (They were pretty pricey too.) Umm… They have Dole Whips at Aulani. We'll just have to get some there!

We explored outside a bit. We considered doing the train and the maze, but the place was packed and everyone was getting tired, so we decided to explore for a few minutes and move on.

So yeah, although the place was really cool, I did sort of feel a bit let down by it. It's totally worth a pit stop on your way up to the north shore, but I'm glad we didn't go out of our way to come here, or plan a day around it. All in all, we spent about 45 minutes here, and that felt sufficient. (Obviously, if you planned to do some of the paid attractions or wait in that long Dole Whip line, you could easily spend a couple hours here.)

It was about 3:30 PM when we left. I guess getting ahead of the traffic was part of the motivation for moving on too.

We ended up back in Ko Olina around 4:00 PM. We had pretty much eaten all of our meal food at the condo, so we stopped for a cheap dinner at the Pizza Corner again. We ate at the restaurant this time.

Stephanie and I both got the $5 special.

The kids decided to split a traditional pepperoni pizza.

Oh, and there was a children's clothing/toy store next door, so Pickle and I explored that while the pizza was being cooked. (She loves mermaids, and had fun looking at all the dolls.)

And a few minutes later, the food was ready. And oh yeah, Stephanie and I got these garlic knots. Delicious!!!

(Just in case I didn't get enough garlic at the shrimp truck. Hahaha!)

Yum! (Except that I'm not too big on black olives.)

After dinner, we headed back up to the resort. Stephanie wanted to start packing and getting organized. Our plan was to get over to Aulani early in the morning, and we didn't want to waste too much time packing before we headed over. I married a smart woman!

I went down to the pool to take some more photos of the resort. (I actually shared most of these photos earlier in the trip report.)

I did come across some of the family down at the pool. They wanted to spend their last day in Hawaii relaxing at the resort. And I couldn't blame them. That was our plan for the next three days at Aulani!

I did walk out past our lagoon to get a few more pictures of Aulani from a distance…

So pretty!

I came back to the room around 6pm. It turns out that the rest of the family wanted to go out to dinner as a group one last time. We had already eaten, but oh well, what are you going to do? Tag along and make the most of it.

Interestingly, they chose the Outback Steakhouse. I mean it was nice and all, but I can't imagine wanting that to be my last meal in Hawaii. Regardless, we had fun as a group sharing stories from our individual adventures on the trip. And the kids had a second dinner care of Grandpa. Haha! I was suckered in by some green melon margarita thingy that looked amazing on the menu, but tasted like cough syrup. Blech! :crazy2:

Eventually, we all headed back to the condos to finish packing and relax a bit more before heading to bed. And while everyone else had the last day blues, we were excited to finally arrive at Aulani tomorrow. Yahoo!!! :banana:

Last edited:
Ooh! You are lucky to be going during the big wave season. That should be pretty awesome!

No, the drive wasn't long at all. (Nothing like the road to Hana.) It's probably an hour to an hour and a half to drive up to the northernmost tip. And then factor in how many times you want to stop and get out.

Yes, we could have kept going. In reality, we weren't all that far from the Kualoa Ranch if we had kept on driving. But we knew that we wanted to head back to Matsumoto's and the Dole Plantation, so we figured that we'd had gone far enough at the time.

Stay tuned for the Dole Plantation. And I think your plan of stopping there first is better than our of stopping on the way back. Probably less crowded in the morning.

The Road to Hana is something we want to do as well. Your trip report for that day gave me lots of tips, so thank you for that!
In fact, you're entire trip report so far has been so informative with great tips!!!
Thanks to your info and pics, I have a much better visual of what I'm going to see, do, and experience!
We were going to go in Jan, but decided on Nov/Dec. We also want to get away from the cold here in Canada. So sick of it! I'm sure you are too!!!
Looking forward to the rest!! :)

Still LOVING this amazing TR.
Wow those garlic knots are no joke!! And lets just say that's a pepperoni pizza for sure:-)

Now I am rethinking......we were mostly going to stay at Aulani for our 5 nights. After Aulani we are going on the POA cruise around islands. We were going to Pearl Harbor on shore excursion from ship on way to Airport.
We were only going to leave Aulani for the North shore excursion. Now I'm thinking about Kaulua? Ranch. Looks so beautiful, including drive there.
Choices:-)
Kerri

Still LOVING this amazing TR.
Wow those garlic knots are no joke!! And lets just say that's a pepperoni pizza for sure:-)

Now I am rethinking......we were mostly going to stay at Aulani for our 5 nights. After Aulani we are going on the POA cruise around islands. We were going to Pearl Harbor on shore excursion from ship on way to Airport.
We were only going to leave Aulani for the North shore excursion. Now I'm thinking about Kaulua? Ranch. Looks so beautiful, including drive there.
Choices:-)
Kerri
I know......we are only leaving for PH and north shore but I keep looking at Kualoa!!! Too many choices!! heehee

Loving this trip report! My in-laws went to Hawaii probably 20 years ago and still talk about the road to Hana.

Looking forward to seeing Aulani!

Such a fabulous report! I am learning so much and loving all your great photos. I am contemplating getting a Go Pro Hero Session after seeing some of your photos. I normally shoot with my Nikon DSLR but have found it staying in the hotel room more and more recently due to the size and weight - I actually ended up getting a Sony RX100 so that I could travel lighter, but I love the idea of being able to carry the session onto the beach and even into the water without a housing. Do you think it's worth the ~$200 investment?

I love the photos from Kualoa ranch! Not sure we'd want to take the tour, I tend to get motion sickness and yours is not the first review I've read of a rocky experience. Do you think it'd be worth visiting the beach park without doing the ranch tour? I love the photos you got of the China Man's Hat (or whatever it's called) and the cliffs/beach/coast.

Too funny about McDonalds, KFC, Panda Express, and Outback featuring into the story... it's easy to forget that fast food and chain restaurants were made for crunch times when the family is stressed and tired - so they really fit the bill after traveling!

Thanks so much for all the work that went into the report. SO helpful! Can't wait to read more and for when you get to Aulani!!!

Yum, the pizza looks good! I am sad to hear you didn't love Giovanni's truck...everyone raves about that place! Beautiful pics of the Aulani in the distance!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter