Trip postponed, feeling bad...when to reschedule - March? May? August?

starshine514

DIS Veteran
So, we (me, my husband, my kids, my parents, and my sister) were scheduled to be heading to Disneyland next week. But then, my mom had a stroke on Wednesday. I think it was due to her blood pressure being way too high. So, they released her from the hospital yesterday, but our trip next week is off. I was able to cancel the hotel, reschedule pickup of the tickets (getawaytoday) and we were driving anyway (we live in Arizona). We're rescheduling during Spring Break, which is when I (I teach at the local community college) and my sister (who works in a lab at the same college) can get time off next. However, I was looking at the crowd calendar, and we're going from days around 1 crowd to about 8 crowds... am I a horrible person for feeling bad about postponing Disneyland? I mean, I should just be happy my mom is ok and glad to give her a chance to recover before heading out on a big trip, right? I can't tell anybody around me how I'm feeling, but I figured if anyone would understand, it would be the people on this board...

So, with that said, should I even be thinking of Spring Break, or should I be shooting for May or August instead? My last day to teach will be May 14. I already have a visit to great-grandma scheduled (plane tickets already bought) for May 25 - May 30, and summer school starts June 1... I know the tickets will cost a bit more, but would we be better off (crowd and attraction-wise) going May 16 - 20 instead? I see no crowd calendar up on touringplans yet, but know you guys are experts... or would we be better off going sometime during the first two weeks of August (would it be too hot then?)

Also, should I even be thinking of Spring Break, or should I be shooting for May or August instead? My last day to teach will be May 14. I already have a visit to great-grandma scheduled (plane tickets already bought) for May 25 - May 30, and summer school starts June 1... I know the tickets will cost a bit more, but would we be better off (crowd and attraction-wise) going May 16 - 20 instead? I see no crowd calendar up on touringplans yet, but know you guys are experts... or would we be better off going sometime during the first two weeks of August (would it be too hot then?)

I would wait for May. Most public schools are still in session in May. Spring Break is so wide a time frame I wouldn't count on it. Also no, you are not bad. I would feel the same. DL does that to people.

I am sorry to hear about your mother. I hope she has a smooth road to recovery. I understand feeling bad about canceling the trip, but maybe having something scheduled will give your mom added incentive with therapy to get to peak disney condition.

If I were you I would schedule for May because I think it's better than the other times mentioned as far as crowds, but maybe you should talk to your mom's dr and ask what they think about your moms recovery hopes.

Good Luck with everyone. Sorry you had to postpone your trip. But perhaps when you do go the trip will be all the more sweeter because you have waited even longer for it. I am just glad your mom didn't have her troubles while at the park, that would have been awful.

I would shoot for May, especially if the goal is still to go with your mom. August can get very crowded and very hot weather-wise. May should be more pleasant in both respects.

Sorry to hear about your mom but glad that she is doing ok & is out of the hospital!
If you go in May, make sure you are not going on one of the Grad Nights...the nights when DLR closes for graduates of high schools all over the state. Other that that, May sounds like a great time! (good weather, minimal crowds)
:)

I would wait for May as well. We went with my parents in early June, and the weather is good, plus the crowds are not so bad. With someone who has gone through a stroke, perhaps avoiding stressful conditions, like crowds, long lines, hot or too cold weather, would be a more pleasant experience and better healthwise too.

Sorry about your mom, but I understand your disappointment and it is okay. I hope she has a strong recovery.:grouphug:

Spring Break will be VERY crowded. We went during spring break last year and swore never to do it again.

I would choose May over August - just for the heat. I do better in cooler weather and I don't have any health problems, but am very prone to sunburn, so cooler weather is my friend.

May 14 to 20th gives you plenty of time to tour at a comfortable pace and to see a lot of the shows and other nighttime entertainment. You may run into a grad night later in your stay - but if you've been in the parks for the other days it might not bother you. DL closes around 6 pm, but DCA stays open later to compensate on grad nights. You have a weekend at the beginning which gives you the opportunity to see F! and WOC and fireworks. You also have Friday in there on the 20th which gives you a chance to see anything you've missed.

Good luck in your planning and I hope your mom recovers well and quickly! :flower3:

I am sorry to hear about your mom. :grouphug: I would avoid spring break, especially if you were planning on enjoying low crowds. I think May would be perfect - in fact we are going in May too! I also teach at a university, and we LOVE going in that May timeframe. It is before most schools get out, but the weather is warming up. Avoid Memorial Day weekend and be prepared for grad nights and you'll be set.

Good luck to your Mom on her recovery!

May 14 to 20th gives you plenty of time to tour at a comfortable pace and to see a lot of the shows and other nighttime entertainment. You may run into a grad night later in your stay - but if you've been in the parks for the other days it might not bother you. DL closes around 6 pm, but DCA stays open later to compensate on grad nights. You have a weekend at the beginning which gives you the opportunity to see F! and WOC and fireworks. You also have Friday in there on the 20th which gives you a chance to see anything you've missed.
:flower3:

I'll have to teach until 1 pm on 14th (my birthday :)) and then its a minimum 8 hour drive to the LA area (our 6-hour San Diego drives generally take us 8 hours, so I'm not counting on making it to LA in 8 hours). So, it's very likely that my group will want to head out on Sunday morning, rather than Saturday afternoon. Will there be any weekday nighttime entertainment at Disneyland during that week? My girls love fireworks and were pretty fond of the Spectromagic parade at WDW (we were there last year when they had that cold snap, so it was down in the 30's that night and they still enjoyed it - but they didn't want to stay until 9 at Epcot, so we didn't catch Illuminations), though it is not an absolute requirement - especially if it will be pushing everyone too much to stay out for it... Just wondering what to expect.

I'll have to teach until 1 pm on 14th (my birthday :)) and then its a minimum 8 hour drive to the LA area (our 6-hour San Diego drives generally take us 8 hours, so I'm not counting on making it to LA in 8 hours). So, it's very likely that my group will want to head out on Sunday morning, rather than Saturday afternoon. Will there be any weekday nighttime entertainment at Disneyland during that week? My girls love fireworks and were pretty fond of the Spectromagic parade at WDW (we were there last year when they had that cold snap, so it was down in the 30's that night and they still enjoyed it - but they didn't want to stay until 9 at Epcot, so we didn't catch Illuminations), though it is not an absolute requirement - especially if it will be pushing everyone too much to stay out for it... Just wondering what to expect.

Can you head out on that Saturday and then stop off somewhere for the night? That way your driving time on Sunday is reduced and you could still catch the fireworks that night. The prevailing wisdom on the boards is to fit fireworks in ASAP during the trip because the wind affects whether they are shown or not. If they aren't shown or are canceled partway through on Sunday then you can try to see them again on Friday.

I don't have any experience with WOC - but it looks like it is being shown nightly in the off-season, so it is likely that you would have more chances to see it during the week. Maybe you'll be lucky and the new parade will be showing by your trip in May.

You will probably run into some school groups at DLR for the day during your trip. And you could possibly run into a grad night on the Thursday - as was mentioned previously. I don't think it will disrupt your trip, but it does help if you know it might happen.

I can't remember what length hoppers you were planning on, but if you wanted you could try to go in on Sunday and then sometime mid-week take a complete break from DLR and go to the beach or have a swim and sleep in day or something.

Can you see the fireworks from other locations, such as DTD? I just realized that even if we left out on Sunday, we would still get there early enough to see the fireworks, but may not really want to us a day on our 4-day hoppers for it.:idea:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter