Trip on December 21-23 Crazy????

qckrun

Mouseketeer
My wife and I are considering on taking our 5year old daughter to DLand on Dec 21-23 as a surprise for her.

We have never been to Disneyland any time around Christmas. Are we crazy to go at this time period? Are crowd level extremely elevated at this time?

I've tried looking through the Mega Thread but couldn't find my question or a close enough answer.

Do the parks tend to reach capacity early on these days?

I should note, we went to Disneyland last Sept when crowds were minimal and haven't been to Disneyland during the summer/crowded times in 10+ years. Will this be a culture shock?

Thank you, and I am excited to start planning.

Let's put it this way, it won't be as crowded as it will be Dec 26-28. But yes, crowds around Christmas can be extremely high. There typically aren't capacity closures the week before Christmas, but it's hard to say from year to year since Christmas is always on a different day of the week.

When I think back to when my three kids were 5, there was one that would have been fine with the crowds, and two that would not have faired as well. I think it really depends on your kid. Just going in knowing what to expect and having a great attitude makes a lot of difference! Sounds like a fun trip. :)

I agree with SMD that it's unlikely that the park will close due to capacity constraints beforeChristmas, but it will still be crowded. I do think that if your frame of reference is September (assuming it relatively quiet when you went), you will encounter significantly higher crowds if you go 12/21-23. The parks will be in full holiday-mode. It means long hours and full entertainment, but it also means crowds.

I think it can be a fun time to go, but only if you go with the right frame of mind. Go expecting high crowds and you'll fare better than if you expecting September level crowds. I wouldn't be surprised if lines for popular rides (e.g., HMH, PotC, IaSWH, Space, etc.) could easily exceed an hour and RSR could easily exceed two hours. I would make dining reservation if you want a sit down meal; I've been there when places like Cafe Orleans and Blue Bayou were turning away guests and this was the second weekend in December.

I don't think it's crazy. The advantage to going during busier times is longer hours and more entertainment. Plan to get there at opening or MM/EE to beat the crowds, and with the extended hours, there's no guilt in taking an afternoon break. It's a little more important to plan ahead and use FPs when it's crowded, but it's still really fun!

I think it can be a fun time to go, but only if you go with the right frame of mind. Go expecting high crowds and you'll fare better than if you expecting September level crowds. I wouldn't be surprised if lines for popular rides (e.g., HMH, PotC, IaSWH, Space, etc.) could easily exceed an hour and RSR could easily exceed two hours. I would make dining reservation if you want a sit down meal; I've been there when places like Cafe Orleans and Blue Bayou were turning away guests and this was the second weekend in December.
Agreed. Managing expectations are the key to enjoying any DLR trip. Especially during popular weeks.

Let's put it this way, it won't be as crowded as it will be Dec 26-28. But yes, crowds around Christmas can be extremely high. There typically aren't capacity closures the week before Christmas, but it's hard to say from year to year since Christmas is always on a different day of the week.

^^^^THIS!!!!^^^^:thumbsup2

We find the 21st through the 23rd to be quite nice---busy---yes, but very manageable!

We would very much rather be at the Parks for the 21--23, than the days after Christmas, leading up to New Year's Eve(which can be quite hideous!!!)

We do this week every year, and you might actually be surprised, at how nice the mornings really are---Yes, I understand that everyone has their own perception of busy/not busy---this is simply ours!

In our opinion, you can't even compare the "Busy" of the days before Christmas, to the "Busy" which comes in the days after Christmas!

If you are prepared with the proper expectations, a sense of humor, a willingness to be flexible, and pack your patience, you will do just fine---in fact, better than fine!

Be willing to get up and get going in the mornings( I know---might be a bit tough with a 5 year old, but we've done it many times and had success!), in order to be at rope drop first thing---this way, you will accomplish a great deal!

I don't think you are crazy at all---it's a lovely time to visit, IF you know that there will be crowds, prepare your self mentally, and have a general plan!:)

We're going to be crazy this year because we'll be there for the first time the 20th - 24th. We usually go earlier in Dec, but since DS is now in school, we wanted to wait until his school break. We know it'll be busy, but we're pretty confident at how to deal with crowds. A busy day at Disney is still better than not being there at all. :-)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter