• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Trip insurance

Skatetigger

Mouseketeer
Do most folks here get the trip insurance. For some reason it's more than I remember. Is there an alternative to the Disney insurance?

We haven't bought trip insurance for our past ABD trips and we didn't buy it for our upcoming Northern Italy/Switzerland trip. However, we did just book a trip for China in later 2017 and I decided to buy it for then. Why the change? As my wife and I get older, the possibility of a medical issue becomes something that we think more about. The China trip is so far away that we just don't know what might happen between now and then. Given the high cost of the trip, I decided it was time to go with the insurance.

Do most folks here get the trip insurance. For some reason it's more than I remember. Is there an alternative to the Disney insurance?

We didn't used to but we always do now. My dad passed away the month before he and my mom were supposed to go on an ABD trip for their first trip to Europe with us. The unexpected can and does happen. We normally check out quotes and policies on insure my trip dot com.

The ABD insurance is more expensive than it was. Check out insurance from outside companies through the site calypso726 lists, or https://tripinsurancestore.com/. You'll almost certainly find a better deal that way.

That said, I always get trip insurance. I've had to use it a couple of times, and it's been worth every penny. Especially if you are going outside of the US, as most health insurance here is not good outside of the US.

Sayhello

The ABD insurance is more expensive than it was. Check out insurance from outside companies through the site calypso726 lists, or https://tripinsurancestore.com/. You'll almost certainly find a better deal that way.

That said, I always get trip insurance. I've had to use it a couple of times, and it's been worth every penny. Especially if you are going outside of the US, as most health insurance here is not good outside of the US.

Sayhello

Thanks for the recommendation, and I thought it seemed more expensive than it was previously, we had gotten it for our other ABD trips and didn't remember it being so much.

We also used insuremytrip dot com. As others stated, it includes health care coverage that your health insurance plan may not have. It's generally not that expensive in relation to the cost of the trip.

Yup. I agree with the above. We are still within the time to buy travel insurance with preexisting conditions since we put our deposit down recently. The ABD insurance is much more expensive and if you buy your own travel insurance you can pick what coverage you need and which suits you best.

Go allot. 2 or 3 day trip I will take the hit. Annual vacation at Christmas always invest. Last year we were at WDW a week before Christmas and we're going back on Christmas Eve. Instead we spent the night in the hospital. My wife had an emergency surgery. You never know what might come up.

I also recommend checking insure my trip. I occasionally buy travel insurance, especially when traveling to isolated areas, just for the medical coverage. I no longer recommend TravelGuard; I have had to make two legitimate claims over the past two years and they were horrible; it took months for one claim to be paid and the other is still dragging out, almost a year after I submitted the claim. I won't use them again.

I recently booked an ABD trip for May 2017. Not sure what kind of insurance coverage I should purchase. I am mainly looking for ways to cover the cost of cancelling the trip in case something arises. Our circumstances are a little different as we are Americans who are expats currently living in the Netherlands. So we have expat insurance. Our credit card has good coverage on stuff usually, but not sure what they would cover in this case. Our flights shouldn't be too much as we are already in Europe. But mainly just wanting to cover the cost of trip if it has to get cancelled for some reason.

What insurance and where would I purchase this type of insurance?

We always get trip insurance for any big trip. (So not for a week in a cabin upstate, but for anything involving a flight.)

If the cost of the insurance is less than the money I'll put down before we travel, I figure it's a good idea.

I recently booked an ABD trip for May 2017. Not sure what kind of insurance coverage I should purchase. I am mainly looking for ways to cover the cost of cancelling the trip in case something arises. Our circumstances are a little different as we are Americans who are expats currently living in the Netherlands. So we have expat insurance. Our credit card has good coverage on stuff usually, but not sure what they would cover in this case. Our flights shouldn't be too much as we are already in Europe. But mainly just wanting to cover the cost of trip if it has to get cancelled for some reason.

What insurance and where would I purchase this type of insurance?
First I would check and see what kind of coverage you already have. Does your health insurance cover you outside of the Netherlands? If not, you'll want to be sure to get decent medical coverage. Does your credit card cover you for Trip cancellation and Trip interruption (paying for your trip or the unused portion of your trip if have to cancel for a covered reason)? If not, you'll want to buy a policy that includes those. Does your credit card cover you for expenses if they lose or significantly delay your luggage? Do they cover repatriation to the Netherlands if you are too injured or sick to continue on the trip. Stuff like that.

If any of those items are important to you, and your credit card or health insurance doesn't cover it, then head over to insure my trip or www.tripinsurancestore.com and price out some policies.

But do check what you have already. No point in double-paying for coverage.

Sayhello

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter