Trip Insurance

So, if our health insurance covers all medical expenses outside the country should we just go with an evacuation plan? This is our first cruise so it's all new to me? I know it's not a lot of extra money, just trying to figure it all out.

Thanks!

My health insurance covers out of country and so does my dh's so I'm not worried about if something happens while on the trip but only if something causes us to cancel before we leave. What insurance would I get for that? We are after the pif date for the cruise but before the pif date for WDW.

So, if our health insurance covers all medical expenses outside the country should we just go with an evacuation plan? This is our first cruise so it's all new to me? I know it's not a lot of extra money, just trying to figure it all out.

Thanks!

I would want trip cancellation and trip interruption coverage, too, as it's more likely to be needed than evacuation.

I would want trip cancellation and trip interruption coverage, too, as it's more likely to be needed than evacuation.

EXACTLY!! Last year DH was hospitalized and unable to go on the inaugural Hawaiian cruise 5 days before we were to leave. Rec'd every penny spent on the trip back from travel insurance. Medical evac is important but so is trip cancellation and trip interruption coverage.

My health insurance covers out of country and so does my dh's so I'm not worried about if something happens while on the trip but only if something causes us to cancel before we leave. What insurance would I get for that? We are after the pif date for the cruise but before the pif date for WDW.
Most trip interruption or cancellation insurance can only be bought in conjunction with a medical plan (ie, a "Package"). I'd check with www.insuremytrip.com or www.tripinsurancestore.com to see if there are any trip cancellation/interruption policies that are stand-alone. But the good news is, almost all plans offer the same monetary coverage for trip cancellation/interruption. Usually most of the big difference is the amount of medical and evacuation coverage. And having ornot having a pre-existing condition waiver. Do some comparisons, but you should be able to go with one of the less expensive plans if you don't care about the amounts for the medical coverage. I'd call one of the websites above & ask them to help you find the best policy that covers just what you need. (I will say, at this point, you may be out of luck with the pre-existing condition waiver since you've already PIF, but, again, I'd ask one of the websites.)

Sayhello

Yes we always get trip insurance for a cruise, but not for trips to Disney.

We do get the medivac insurance... that is the main reason we get it (as well as for unforeseen events that would make us cancel our trip.) I do think you are better off buying it right when you make the reservation, because for some policies you can get "cancel for any reason whatsoever" added if the insurance is bought outright. There is a website out there - I am blanking on the name of it - that compares a lot of different companies and such. I will have to start cranking up the search and the analysis in prep for our next cruise in April!

HTH

Absolutely! We always buy trip insurance for big ticket vacations.

We have had a flight interruption that would have caused us to miss the ship if it had happened during a cruise vacation. We had an emergency landing that kept us grounded for several hours during one or our vacations. We have had relatives grounded for weather, mechanical, and missed connection issues that lasted several hours that would have made a person miss their cruise.

There are many reasons for missing a cruise boarding time, I would never go without trip insurance.

And for those that say no to trip insurance, they are probably the ones that will be looking at DCL to cut them a deal or make a special exception if they miss their cruise for some reason.

JMHO

Yes we always get trip insurance for a cruise, but not for trips to Disney.

We do get the medivac insurance... that is the main reason we get it (as well as for unforeseen events that would make us cancel our trip.) I do think you are better off buying it right when you make the reservation, because for some policies you can get "cancel for any reason whatsoever" added if the insurance is bought outright. There is a website out there - I am blanking on the name of it - that compares a lot of different companies and such. I will have to start cranking up the search and the analysis in prep for our next cruise in April!

HTH

There are a couple of place like this. We've used http://www.insuremytrip.com/ and https://www.squaremouth.com/ in the past when looking to insure.

I say YES! My $160 for a family of 4 covers my disney tickets, Very Merry Christmas tickets, Resort deposit, Cruise, medical, lost baggage, etc.etc.. I opted for the platinum coverage which means I can change my mind for whatever reason at least 3 days out and still get 75% back of what I paid into it. You never know what can happen, for me especially since im military. $160 is a small price to pay, espeacially since ive got around $5-6K invested

Hi! What insurance company did you use? We just paid in full this past Sunday and want to add insurance. We should have done it sooner but just forget and then it wasn't in the budget. $160 for four seems like a great deal! We are driving to FL, going on 7 day DCL, then to Orlando for the Very Merry Christmas party and such. How did you get all of it included in your insurance package? I thought the insurance was specifically for the cruise itself. Thanks!!

Hi! What insurance company did you use? We just paid in full this past Sunday and want to add insurance. We should have done it sooner but just forget and then it wasn't in the budget. $160 for four seems like a great deal! We are driving to FL, going on 7 day DCL, then to Orlando for the Very Merry Christmas party and such. How did you get all of it included in your insurance package? I thought the insurance was specifically for the cruise itself. Thanks!!
If you buy insurance through an outside company (ie, *not* DCL) then the insurance will cover all non-refundable costs for your trip. You specify the amount covered, so if you include the cruise, your WDW reservation, your Very Merry Christmas party tickets, etc, it's all covered if you cancel for a covered reason. (And if you were flying, it would cover that, too).

If you want the pre-existing condition waiver, then there are only a couple of policies you can buy now (Post Paid-in-full) that will include that. I'd call www.insuremytrip.com or www.tripinsurancestore.com to find out. If you aren't worried about the pre-existing condition waiver, then there are a bunch of options out there on both of those sites. I'm not sure, but I don't believe you can buy the DCL insurance after you have Paid in Full. I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong. :)

Sayhello

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter