Trip insurance - necessary?

thinking about insuring our trip.....but how do you do this if you used rapid rewards points for southwest airfare? Do you factor in the actual cost of the flights in dollars as if you had paid along with the cost of Magic Your Way package when you get a quote on travel guard?

If you are using RR points for your flights you can cancel for a full refund ofbyour points at any time so no point spending money to insure it. We used Delta Skymiles on our last trip and it costs $150 pp to change the flight so that's what we insured for.

Right now I am sooooo thankful we bought trip insurance! We are supposed to leave in 10 days and just found out that my 86 year old father-in-law was admitted to the hospital with pneumonia. I am crossing all my fingers and toes that he will be okay.

we've never used insurance before, but did this time as we're traveling the first week of February and just want protection in case we're blocked out due to weather.

I am going to purchase it this trip. On our last trip we found out that my sister had a brain tumor. It was hard not leaving to be with her right away, but it was our last day anyway. She has been fighting brain cancer for almost 2 years now and since she is getting worse, we will buy the insurance just in case we need to go back home quickly and cut our trip short.

Thoughts for your sister, and you too. :grouphug:

There's not really a set answer on travel insurance. For example, when I go to WDW, I book room only and I drive to the resort. So the most I would ever be out if I had to cancel within a week of arrival is the one night deposit. I'm willing to take the gamble on that, especially since I live close anyway. But if I'd paid for a package or were flying, my opinion might be different because there would be more to lose if something came up.

However, when I went to the UK a couple times, I bought it because I was flying and I wanted the medical coverage and evac coverage as well. It wasn't overly expensive and it gave me peace of mind. And really, peace of mind is what it's all about.

Figure out a worst case scenario of what you would lose, and then find the travel insurance that would cover those losses and see what the cost would be. That's the only way to make an informed decision about whether the insurance is worth it for your family.

If you are purchasing insurance from Disney with a package (which I always do because my dad has health issues), the best way is to add it on at final payment (45 days prior to arrival). Your deposit is fully refundable up until that point-UNLESS you purchased the insurance at time of deposit in which case they will subtract the non-refundable insurance from your deposit. It's worth the $150 to me to know that if I need to cancel after final payment is made, all I will lose is the cost of the insurance.

One caution about outside vendor insurance-be sure to read the coverage since many of them do not cover pre-existing conditions unless the insurance is purchased at the time of booking.

Our first trip we got the insurance, mostly for the "in case of hurricane" thing. Night 1, after we had been there about 4 hours, at chef mickeys my 400$ camera dropped on a table leg and broke. The insurance sent me a check for the perchance price of my camera after the trip was over. I will be getting the insurance again, lol.

wdwagain518 said:
If you are purchasing insurance from Disney with a package (which I always do because my dad has health issues), the best way is to add it on at final payment (45 days prior to arrival). Your deposit is fully refundable up until that point-UNLESS you purchased the insurance at time of deposit in which case they will subtract the non-refundable insurance from your deposit. It's worth the $150 to me to know that if I need to cancel after final payment is made, all I will lose is the cost of the insurance.

One caution about outside vendor insurance-be sure to read the coverage since many of them do not cover pre-existing conditions unless the insurance is purchased at the time of booking.

Well Disney insurance never covers pre existing conditions as far as I know, so there's. I difference there.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter