• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Trip Insurance from whom???

Tigger2ntinkerbell

DIS Veteran
My husband would not get the trip insurance through disney cruise line ,we'll be cruising September 2016.

He said it protects only Disney and not us. So what insurance would cover our money out for trip(airline tickets,cruise fare, hotel stay)if Disney cancels the cruise for whatever reason .

Last edited:
The policy that Disney offers is better than nothing, but you can definitely find more comprehensive coverage at a lower price elsewhere. Just about any company can offer you a "cancel for any reason" coverage, but it comes at a cost, usually 75% of the cost of the trip, so it's up to you if you want to add that on. It's usually not a default, included coverage. Most policies will cover carrier cancellations, including Disney's policy, which at last look is through Allianz, and you can buy through Allianz as well, outside of Disney. Costco offers trip insurance, but the catch with that one is your reservation has to be through Costco. I also shopped around with the "Voldemort" of travel insurance...as in the one that shall not be named around here. :P

We always use Travel Guard and our policy includes a cancel any time for any reason clause in it. It covers everything from the time we leave our front door to the time we arrive back home. We purchased within the 14 day window to have pre-existing conditions covered as well.

We always use Travel Guard and our policy includes a cancel any time for any reason clause in it. It covers everything from the time we leave our front door to the time we arrive back home. We purchased within the 14 day window to have pre-existing conditions covered as well.
Us too. We like Travel Guard since they have a history working with cruises and are reputable

My husband would not get the trip insurance through disney cruise line ,we'll be cruising September 2916.

He said it protects only Disney and not us. So what insurance would cover our money out for trip(airline tickets,cruise fare, hotel stay)if Disney cancels the cruise for whatever reason .
How about medical and medical evacuation. I would do some research and get a policy that covers those possible scenarios. I don't understand the protecting Disney part.:confused3

OP, it's assumed all policies will cover if Disney cancels the cruise. Cancel-for-any-reason is if you decide to cancel after the PIF date when you lose your payments. Again, most policies I have seen cover medical evac. But all of these are things to check BEFORE you buy. Please know that pre-existing conditions may require purchase within a certain time frame. I THINK in order for TravelGuard to cover pre-existing you must purchase within 15-20 days of making a payment. The pre-existing clause includes immediate family members and was invaluable when my mother (not cruising) ended up in the hospital and we had to cancel a trip.

How about medical and medical evacuation. I would do some research and get a policy that covers those possible scenarios. I don't understand the protecting Disney part.:confused3

Yes the protecting Disney part makes no sense. It does boost their profits though.

Agree about the medical and the evacuation. Check your health insurance policies to see if they cover you outside of the US and if they will evacuate you from a foreign port.

That isn't true, but you can get the same coverage that includes PECs if purchased within a certain amount of days after you book the cruise from the same company DCL uses for much less.

The policy I have for our upcoming Transatlantic cruise covers preexisting conditions as long as it is purchased before your PIF date.

Yes the protecting Disney part makes no sense. It does boost their profits though.

Agree about the medical and the evacuation. Check your health insurance policies to see if they cover you outside of the US and if they will evacuate you from a foreign port.
I haven't seen a standard health insurance policy that covers that.

I don't understand the protecting Disney part.:confused3

I think it was assumed that since the policy is being sold by Disney that it's written with Disney's interest in mind as opposed to the insured's benefit. The OP probably feels that if they buy a policy independent of Disney that they will be better protected. At least that's what I interpreted it as. In reality, Disney's policy is pretty standard, though it doesn't offer any sort of pre-existing conditions coverage regardless of when you purchase the policy, and it tends to cost more. That's really the biggest difference that I see. It doesn't serve to protect Disney's interest more than the insured. The policy is still in the insured's name. Disney is basically just the broker of the policy, a 3rd party seller if you will.

One other thing that I have noticed that's different from the policy I had for our last cruise is, the ones now will often have a terrorism clause. If a terrorism incident (as defined by the State Dept.) happens at either your home location or destination within 30 days of travel, and you decide to cancel based on that, it's covered. Not all policies have it and it's not available everywhere. I think it's dependent on what state you're in. Costco goes through Travel Guard and their policies do not have the terrorism clause. At least it wasn't available to me.

I haven't seen a standard health insurance policy that covers that.

Right lol. I would be happy if my insurance covered me properly in my home area, much less abroad. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
I think it was assumed that since the policy is being sold by Disney that it's written with Disney's interest in mind as opposed to the insured's benefit. The OP probably feels that if they buy a policy independent of Disney that they will be better protected. At least that's what I interpreted it as. In reality, Disney's policy is pretty standard, though it doesn't offer any sort of pre-existing conditions coverage regardless of when you purchase the policy, and it tends to cost more. That's really the biggest difference that I see.

not only that, but it only covers the disney portion of the trip. if you have hotel, flights, rental cars, etc., the disney policy would not cover any of those.

The policy I have for our upcoming Transatlantic cruise covers preexisting conditions as long as it is purchased before your PIF date.

If you don't mind sharing and if not against forum rules, can you share which company you used?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter