trip insurance...do you include airfare or just cruise fare?

cepmom

DIS Veteran
quick question about purchasing insurance outside of DCL...am I supposed to inlcude the cost of the airfare in my quote or just the cruise fare? I need to buy trip insurance for our 3 night trip soon before my final payment is due. We have our airfare through Southwest and it is my understanding that if we need to cancel our flights for any reason, they will credit the amount for use on another flight within one year. Not sure what to do. TIA!

I include it. It will also cover trip delay, baggage delay/loss, missed flight, etc. I would include any hotel costs you will have as well. You can purchase the trip insurance after final payment if you wish, usually up until a day or two before your trip if you want.

Are you using DCL or private? If private, check www.insuremytrip.com to find the best quotes and policies.

thanks. I am looking on insuremytrip.com, but I was told by a rep there that I needed to purchase the insurance before the final payment :confused3 . Also, since I did not purchase the insurance within 14 days (or something like that) of the initial deposit, that I was limited to a certain insurance they offered ~ I think it is the CSA packages. I had purchased the Travel Guard essential expanded package for our trip next January so that's what I was planning on getting for August too, but he said I couldn't get that one at this point. It's all so confusing!!

Depending on the type of fare that you purchased from Southwest, if you change your itinerary, it could be subject to a change fee. You will have to specifically ask Southwest if your ticket is subject to this type of fee. Sometimes the fees can be $100+ per ticket, so it really eats up the value (sometimes completely eats it) that can be applied to a later flight. Just an FYI...

I would call back and talk to someone different. The payment within so many days (14, 21, 10, etc) of deposit is pretty standard among the insurance companies. That is for pre-existing conditions. The part about prior to final payment is unusual. If you cancel your cruise prior to final payment you get all the money that you have paid back so you wouldn’t need insurance. If you cancel after final payment then you start to cough up money and insurance may come in handy. I bought my insurance for my last RCI cruise in January about 2 weeks prior to departure. I used insuremytrip to compare and went with the Travelex Lite policy. It had adequate protections for what I was looking for. I would definitely talk to someone else if you called.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter