Trip insurance and dummy cruises ?

Disney Mama

Mouseketeer
If I have made a deposit on a dummy cruise date, do I need to purchase trip insurance within 14 days of the dummy date or within 14 days of the "real" cruise date when we book that? Thanks in advance for any help!

If I have made a deposit on a dummy cruise date, do I need to purchase trip insurance within 14 days of the dummy date or within 14 days of the "real" cruise date when we book that? Thanks in advance for any help!
I assume you're asking about this in order to get the pre-existing condition waiver? Otherwise, you can buy the insurance whenever you want.

For the pre-existing condition waiver, you need to purchase the insurance within 14 - 21 days of booking the dummy date (the number of days depends on the policy). The rule is 14 - 21 days from paying the *first* deposit. And, when you change your cruise to the real date, you need to inform the insurance company of that change (or any change) within that same 14 -21 days from the date you made the change, or you will lose the pre-existing condition waiver.

This is only true for non-DCL insurance. DCL's insurance doesn't offer pre-existing condition waivers, so I think the only time restriction there is to purchase it before your Paid In Full date.

Sayhello

We are in this situation for next year (booked a dummy and then moved it to our Alaska cruise). We need the pre-existing conditions waiver so our options are limited. There are a couple policies that will work as long as they are purchased before the paid-in-full date but most require that they are purchased within 14 days of the initial payment (of the dummy cruise).

I use www.tripinsurancestore.com. They are great to work with and will help you via email or phone to answer any questions before you purchase.

Thanks so much jetskigirl & sayhello! Got the insurance today & it turned out that today was my last to purchase to cover pre-existing conditions! We just returned from a fantastic Eastern Caribbean cruise, but was a nervous wreck since we had no pre-existing coverage!

I wish anyone who needed this coverage would know this when booking a dummy cruise! Thanks again!

Thanks so much jetskigirl & sayhello! Got the insurance today & it turned out that today was my last to purchase to cover pre-existing conditions! We just returned from a fantastic Eastern Caribbean cruise, but was a nervous wreck since we had no pre-existing coverage!

I wish anyone who needed this coverage would know this when booking a dummy cruise! Thanks again!
:thumbsup2 You're welcome!

Sayhello

What is pre-existing condition insurance?
It's actually a pre-existing condition *waiver* for a trip insurance policy. If you have to make a claim for something that is determined to be a pre-existing condition, then most trip insurance won't cover you unless you have a pre-existing condition waiver.

Basically, for something to qualify as a pre-existing condition, most trip insurance policies have what is called a "look-back period". It's usually something like 2 to 4 months, prior to the date you purchased the insurance policy. If you develop or are treated for a new condition during that look-back period, or have a change in treatment or medication for an existing chronic condition during that look-back period, then it is considered a pre-existing condition. If that condition is then the reason you have to cancel your vacation, or cut your vacation short, or have medical treatment during your vacation, then you may not be covered for it unless you have the pre-existing condition waiver. For some policies, it covers the condition of someone not traveling with you that might cause you to cancel or cut short your trip, also.

It's usually a good idea to try and get the pre-existing condition waiver so you just don't have to worry about it.

Sayhello

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter