Trip from Hell. thats us...

twinmomplus2

DIS Veteran
Just got back from probably the worst trip to disney I have ever taken in my life. Where do I start? Well had a 2 bedroom at the beach club. checked in geat no problems beautiful property. The first nigh there are some ants in the room, red ants. I am easy so I figure well its central florida right.... Call they come up really super nice guy, baits for the ants says, they are feral to young to bite. The next day there are ants in the bed. I call they offer to change out the sheets, I say its ok I have the washer I will wash them. They bait again, 3rd day. we return from a wonderful fireworks cruise, which I would highly recommend it was a great time and the driver and guide superb. We are folding laundry at the table and start to get bitten. Ok now I am pissed. I call they rebait and tell me to call a manager, I call Richard in the am. He was very nice comes up to check as we are having a conversation I get bit. He conceded cleary they have to fumigate this unit. He will move me to another 2 bedroom at the end of the day, Now I have lost the morning waiting for him. And I have to come back and move a 2 bedroom with 2 toddlers in tow. Yuck.........He gives me priority viewing for Illuminations which was great however... I lost almost an entire day. We move to the new unit, which has clearly been thouroughly cleaned, It was spotless. We have 2 more days at this point... 2 more nights at Beach club that is. Well the first night is uneventful we got to Magic kingdom and poke around. :cool: Meet an old friend we have not seen in 20 years, who now lives in celebration have a great time catching up. Go back to beach club, I am making dinner what 4 feet from the table? My mom is on the couch, the twins are coloring at the table. One baby drops a crayon between the cushions, which are coming off every time someone sits, But they came off in the same fashion in 417, So we thought It was to perhaps clean them. Baby leans over and falls in head first! Now he is hanging neck in in. Now let me say I am very calm, Not to much fazes me. I was screaming like a nut case, Truly flipping out, The baby was screaming. How in the hell we got his head out I do not Know. He was cut, on both sides of his neck, Had an abrasion behind his ear. I go to speak to a manager later on, I think his name was Shannon? I tell him what happened and How I wa shorrified. He tells me that.... In fact those cushions should never come off and that both units must have been broken in the same way, His response, How weird. I was totally disgusted. I will not stay at this property again. we move to coronado springs, As I hate to use my points for weekends. I usually stay at a deluxe. But I was trying to be good, so with the code I did Coronado. I was not real happy more of a motel Style I thought.... But I figured what the hell. There are several june bugs on the ceiling, well I figure they came in with us. We are In ranchos 7b. We go to go to bed and a neon orange spider crawls across the sheets, At this point my 16 year old is going balistic. I am laughing so hard I almost peed my pants. It was just so Unbelievable at this point. I call CRO, Am very nice do not even complain, simply say Hey I am not real happy here can you see if anything is available at A deluxe? they have AkL> I can move over the next day, Ok thats me. I am out of here. Well I got to bed leave the lights on. A **** roach is on the wall next to the bed. I am not laughing I kill it it leaves a glowing lime green mark. Perhaps He was a diser? See part 2.

Oh Wow! Twinmom. I feel so bad for you. If there is one thing I cannot stand it is bug in my room. That happened to me on my honeymoon in Bermuda and it was a total nightmare. I know bugs come with the territory but I sure don't want them sleeping with me! I'm sorry you had such a bad time!

Let me get this straight:
You had a "trip from hell" because there were insects in Central Florida and you let your baby fall off the sofa?

What a nice comment how kind of you. Aaah no, I do not expect bugs in my room, or in my bed. As for the sofa, this child is almost 3. He fell INTO a BROKEN piece of furniture, Clearly not up to any type of code. while coloring... not while jumping or otherwise being improper. This was lawsuit material not negligence on my part, on thier strict, Liablity. But, thanks for totally being a super person.

Twinmomplus2,

I have been there and done that! Although we used the Orlando hospital.

Just a word of caution, there are some people who actually believe that if a child gets hurt, it is automatically the parent's fault no matter what the situation is. Some people believe that unless you tie your child to your chest, 24 hours per day, then you are at fault if they get hurt.

Next time will be better, it was for us!

D. B. Kelly

Wow! That does sounds like a horrible trip! How awful!

I hate to hear this about BCV because we just loved it there. I hope this isn't a common problem. We were in a studio there in March and we really enjoyed our visit. But I do understand why you wouldn't want to try it again.

DJ

I am so sorry that this happened to you. As a mom myself, and most likely all posters that have children, I truly understand how your child could have fallen in between the cushions!!

It is unfortunate about all the bugs..........ants and red ants at that...I commend you for staying as long as you did!! I hope you get a formal apology for your inconvenience!!

As far as bugs in Central FL go.......ya, we all see themand may get annoyed with them, but we should not have to sleep with them!! Especially not in a DVC property!!

Thank you for all your normal responses, as I said I was I feel super easy and super fair in all my dealings with management. I pay alot of money for my DVC. And I expect it to be at least safe.

Twinmomplus2,
I'm so sorry this happened to you. no property should be insect infested, let alone DVC. You certainly were more patient than I would have been withthe "bug" situation. I expect to see bugs, but not to have to sleep withthem or to be bitten in the ocnfines of my room. As for the sofa, it is clearly damaged--be sure to follow up with DVC (Jackie Leuders) because it is a danger. You should certainly feel comfortable cooking dinner while your children color and a toddler reaching for a crayon is an appropriate response from the child. You should not be worried that you will be unable to remove your child without rescue equiptment when they go between a cushion for a crayon. I hope that your next vacation is simple and uneventful!

Originally posted by twinmomplus2
This was lawsuit material not negligence on my part, on thier strict, Liablity.

:rolleyes:

Just trying to get a visual??!!! Your child ( I have a two year Old) was reaching for a crayon-Was he sitting on the floor? And fell head first into the frame of the sofa (sofa bed?) because the cushion was on the floor and his head got stuck?? That's bad!!! I have the kind of sofa where the cushions are always on the floor, but underneath the cushions is material covering the springs. If I have the right scenario, he is lucky he didn't get hurt.

As far as the bugs, I think that's gross! Yes, there are bugs in Florida, but I can honestly say I've never seen any at my trips to WDW in my rooms.

Good luck! Where will you stay next??

What a shame for you! I do expect bugs in central FL, but MOST certainly not red ants in a resort room! And for several days to boot! I don't think anyone can say much about a stray bug or two but ants and cockroaches? Not for me thanks!
And the couch ordeal - I know what you mean about being fairly easy going, but that is just an unacceptable situation! They should be calling you to make sure your toddler is ok and had no other ill effects from the situation! They are the ones that said the couch was damaged, so clearly it was not your fault. I hope your next trip turns out much better!

This was the bench at the kitchen table.You know under the mirror that looks like a window? tHE CUSHIONS ARE FLAT AND HAVE A WOODEN BOTTEM. SORRY HIT CAPS... they are attached to the base, or should be. This was not attached, So when he leaned over to retrieve The Infamous PURPLE CRAYON> the seat fell off, revealing a small opening between the front of the bench and the wall. He leaned over to get it and fell in the hole head first.

Sorry you had such a horrible time! I think I would have freaked out and made DH leave early to come home.

The "cockroaches" in Florida are actually Palmetto bugs though. I remember when I moved to South Florida and the first time I saw one in my house. OMG, DH (who was my boyfriend at the time) didn't know what I was screaming about (he's a native Floridian), when I finally was able to tell him about the "cockroach", he almost died laughing at me. No matter what we did they were always around, and they are GROSS looking!!

Anyway, I hope your next trip is better and your little one is okay.

Cockroach - Palmetto Bug - all I know is that it is a big, FLYING, roach like thing - I'm getting the creeps just thinking about it!!:eek:

Wow! And I see your trip got worse (read second post). I was worried at first that maybe a littel one was affected by the spraying, but with the timing of the second one, this sounds more like a virus.

The red ants COULD have been a serious situation. I have one child who is seriously allergic to red ants- we could have been in an emergency situation if that was my DD getting bit.....I watch outside for the ants, but not INSIDE or in the bed......I will be VERY careful during our July trip.

Get some rest.....in a few years (50 or 60) you will be able to laugh about this trip!

I'm getting the creeps just thinking about all your bug encounters. Eeew! That is just awful.

The bench incident with your child is just even worse. I'm glad you were able to get him out with just a few injuries. That is a very dangerous piece of furniture for little ones to be around. You'd think they could have designed something better safety wise. BCV hasn't even been open that long and it already has some broken benches that could cause injuty to children. We have an almost 3yo and if we go to BCV we will definetly look closer at this bench. I guess I sould give a quick check on all the furniture wherever we stay.

Going to read part 2 now - I'm so sorry already to hear it only gets worse.

Wow!! I can not believe this happened at WDW!! We moved to Houston last year, and learned about RED ANTS and the Roaches! I cannot imagine them being in my house, let alone a very $$ resort. As for the head getting caught, I have twins, and 2 more also, what a nightmare! I am like you, with 4 kids, nithing really gets to me anymore, but a head getting caught--oh my gosh--I would have gone crazy! I can't wait to hear about part 2!

Thank you for posting about the red ants--you may have saved a life or two by mentioning that. Several years ago we were walking thru the grass and saw red ants. Shoot, we have red ants at home, no sweat. Then they started biting my daughter, and we found that these were not the benign ants from home when my daughter had an allergic reaction to them. Now, when we go to Florida she carries an epi-pen in case she is bitten again. This is truly a serious situation when you have a room infested with them, and even one ant bite can be fatal when you are asleep. How awful!

It took me a minute to understand that you were talking about the BENCH not the SOFA! I can understand your anger about the bench, and I am sure that the earlier poster made the same assumption I did. I can't wait for part 2--it's like a soap opera, with a mystery ending. Please post it soon.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter