trip fro hell thats us part 2

twinmom - I hope everyone is better now. So sorry about your child falling so ill. :( Its always scary when you need to take a child the the hospital home or away. I'm so glad to hear the staff at AKL was very nice. We loved our stay there in Feb. and found everyone to be very friendly.

I hope you decide to go on your Dec. trip and I hope it is the most wonderful WDW trip for you all, you really deserve it!

Bless your heart! So sorry to hear about your trip. You'll remember this trip forever though, believe me, we've been there done that. Our very first trip to WDW in 1993 started our family's love for Disney and that trip I could describe very much like yours. I didn't see the outside of my room at CBR except to leave the soiled linens out the door and go get ice. Everyone got sick one at time while we were there, fever, vomiting, pneumonia, emergency room visits, and then we had to stay longer to get them well enough to fly home. It was a disaster but it has made for some great stories for the last 10 years and we were so determined to go back and make up for what we missed, it started an avalanche of trips over the years, then our DVC purchase, etc. Hope the kids are all well now and looking forward to their next trip!

So sorry to hear about your illness and the bugs. How did the other twin make out with the flu? Did he get it as severely as the first one? Please don't let this past trip ruin your future plans. It seems that you got all the bad luck on this past trip and your future trips will be perfect!!

The seat in the BCV dining area is sized for adults. When you placed your child on the bench did you sit with him to be sure he was safe? I would assume not. What would you have said if he simply fell of the bench? Would that be BCV problem to because they made the bench to high? It seems totally crazy to ***** and moan about a kid falling somewhere.
The company I work (retail) was sued once because a father let his kids roam free and one of the little brats pulled merchandise off the shelf and hit himself in the head. It is not our responsibility to assure your kids safety. No one could afford DVC if every room was free of all dangers to people (nor we we want to, since it would be a padded cell).

The ant problem is another story, since BCV took care of the problem ASAP I can't see a point in even remembering it.

This thread better not get moved to the Debate Board, or get closed, because of one posters attack! :eek:

r8ingbull, people with kids expect them to have accidents occassionally. A child sitting on a bench without a parent is perfectly normal. Falling off the bench is too. I doubt anyone, expecially a mom of 4, would have even mentioned it!

But when your child falls INTO a broken piece of furtniture and GETS STUCK, it's far from normal. No one is accusing Disney of doing anything wrong, except not maintaining the units properly.

In case you've forgotten, this is what happened (with the manager admitting the bench was broken in both units!):
Originally posted by twinmomplus2
One baby drops a crayon between the cushions, which are coming off every time someone sits, But they came off in the same fashion in 417, So we thought It was to perhaps clean them. Baby leans over and falls in head first! Now he is hanging neck in in. Now let me say I am very calm, Not to much fazes me. I was screaming like a nut case, Truly flipping out, The baby was screaming. How in the hell we got his head out I do not Know. He was cut, on both sides of his neck, Had an abrasion behind his ear. I go to speak to a manager later on, I think his name was Shannon? I tell him what happened and How I wa shorrified. He tells me that.... In fact those cushions should never come off and that both units must have been broken in the same way

It seems totally crazy to ***** and moan about a kid falling somewhere.

Well, it also seems totally crazy to condemn a poster for expressing concern over an unfortunate and upsetting experience, especially where it concerned her child.

We are all entitled to our opinion, and given the number of supportive posts responding to this thread, your opinion is clearly in the minority, r8ingbull. I truly hope you never experience an event bad enough to merit your complaining, based on what you imply here.

When I asked TwinsMom if they had offered to transport, I was not suggesting that it was Disney's responsibility. I asked, because, in the past we have had illness, one being myself with pneumonia and the staff were wonderful, offering to take me to the clinic, if needed. Also, one time my son was very ill and we took him to the clinic, again they had offered, and Reedy Creek took him from the clinic to the hospital by ambulance, free of charge. Also, when I mentioned liability, I was talking about Diseny who is known for the cautiousness in regard to liability, not infering that TwinsMom was looking to sue them, but the fact that someone wasn't doing their job by allowing a dangerous situation to exist. Obviously, she had a very rough trip and I'm happy to see that the responses have been more positive than negative. I love Disney as much as the next person, but I'm not blind to their flaws. There is no perfect company, although Disney comes the closest that I have seen, but again they are not flawless and if we don't tell them when someone is wrong, how will they know.

The seat in the BCV dining area is sized for adults. When you placed your child on the bench did you sit with him to be sure he was safe? I would assume not.

To make sure the furniture wasn't BROKEN in her luxury villa?

Whatever.

Anyone who thinks a Kitchen table area meant for your family to sit at and eat, Is not meant for a small child. Is an total flipping moron. Its a villa sized for a family. Thats why I bought into DVC. Accomadations for my KIDS. Again I will say it, The bench was broken. Not the baby's fault, not my negligence. A BROKEN PIECE OF EQUIPMENT IN THE VILLA. As conceded it was broken and in the words of the manager should NEVER COME OFF> Jend where did you find that moronic quote? I must have missed it the first posting. Because boy, is it annoying the bejeez out of me.

Bottom of page three. Same poster who made snotty comments upthread. There's one in every thread. Don't let 'em get to you.

So sorry you had such a bad trip; good thing you kept your sense of humor.

Twinmom.. what a trip! My heart goes out to you. Try not to let that trip ruin WDW for you. As someone else said, the bad luck is behind now, all the rest will be great!

When DS (now 20) was 10, we had a trip from h..., also. We took an off park day and went to Cocoa Beach Never having seen the ocean, DS was crazy about it. Never having been in Florida sun for very long I was an idiot. I put sunscreen on him, but not nearly often enough. He ended up with severe enough sunburn that he needed medical care for burns! I spent one entire night putting cold compresses on his back, missed 2 days at the park, spent 1 whole afternoon at a clinic and ended up having to give him sedation so he was comfortable enough to fly. In addition, we weren't onsite and were staying at a motel that had booked an entire senior trip in all the rooms around and above us. The kids spent the whole night shrieking, banging on doors, calling the phone and being rowdy.

I was a single mom at the time, and between the horrible hotel, the very sick child and my sunscreen guilt, it was a nightmare. BUT, all the trips after that were truly magical - if only by comparison!!:D

I, too, am sorry you had an awful trip. But there are certain parts of R8ingbull that I agree with on the furniture. Its our responsibility as parents to do everything we can to ensure our kids are safe. I think that Disney certainly should remove and replace broken furniture but at the same time, I just believe we as parents should take a survey of the surroundings our children are playing in. IMO opinion, the liability for this accident is shared between the parent and Disney. Disney should obviously fix any broken furniture and we are parents should be aware of our children's environments. Just my humble opinion.

That being being said, I am glad your son didnt suffer any serious injuries and hope your next trip is much better.

We should go into these brand new, very expensive villas and "assume" all of the furniture/equipment is broken? As a parent myself, I am aware of my surrondings, but I myself wouldn't think to pull the cushions off the seating bench to check for holes big enough for my two year old's head to get stuck in!

I think some of the posters are missing the point here. The OP was retelling the events of her vacation and her own personal feelings. In telling the management, I never got the feeling it was HER intention to sue Disney. I don't think she is looking to get something for nothing. But I do think the rest of us who have small children appreciate her predicament/ordeal. I know I am grateful to have this knowledge upfront. If I do find myself in the BCV in the future, I WILL be checking the cushions to see whether or not they are attached. The fact that a two year old received cuts and abrasions from broken furniture is alarming, and I certainly wouldn't want it to be my 2 yr old!

I am a parent who traveled with 3 ziploc freezer bags full of incidentals tylenol, motrin, antiseptic. In addition, A baby monitor. 2 door alarms for the patio doors, ID wrist band in case of a lost child. Motorolas for the teen to keep in touch. I am not neglient. nor do I believe any parent should inspect furniture for defect UNDER THE FRAME. Get real. Plug covers, door alarms. bed rails. all these things are my responsibility. Not the underside of a bench. You are totally full of it if you are saying you enter your villa with a flashlight and inspect under the bed, the dresser etc.....The next time you go into Burger king if you happen to sit in a chair and it breaks sending you to the floor. You are saying what you are partially responsible, if you didn't inspect your chair before you sat? Because that makes about as much sense to me as your point. I am neglient cause my child was sitting coloring at the kitchen table within 3 feet of his mother and nana? Ok that makes perfect sense.
As for prior rude comments, No my children are not running around in an obnoxious manner. well the 16 year old was pretty obnoxious on this trip. But, the twins were coloring quietly. As for the ant problem it was not taken care of right away I tried the 3 times a charm plan, And only when we were getting bit, did we get moved. So in fact it is very worth mentioning, There are people who have very serious allergies, what if my little ones turned out to be so afflicted, or my mother? It is a very valid issue. for a great deal of people.

I was simply talking about the furniture issue, not the ants. I didnt say enter the villa and check under the beds. I simply said to be aware of surroundings. I never said you were negligent. Although, the two of you couldnt have been too vigilant if he still fell with both of you only 3 feet away.

My opinion wasnt meant as a slam, Disney certainly should have it fixed, however, possibly two adults watching a 2 or 3 year old maybe should have noticed or been watching more carefully.

And yes, if someone has a fat A** maybe not every seat in the world is made for them and they should be aware of that before they sit down.

I fealt my prior post rude, so I edited it, so glad to see it got to who it was meant for before editing. You say you did not intend to allege negligence on my part by ending your post with again suggesting it. I simply posted my experiences which were bad. And to let parents be very aware if those cushions come off in your Villa. That they are not supposed to come off. Secondly I would like everyone staying at Beach Club Villas to check and see just how many are not attached. Because as I stated both of the Villas I was in were broken in the same manner. we took note of the same situation in 221, But as it was the same thing we assumed it was to clean under them. To see the opening you would never think a child's head could fit. But it did. Does anyone else see the foolishness in this? I am amazed at people who are negative. My child was hurt I barely complained. I had fire ants in MY BED, and even washed out the sheets myself. asked for nothing expect to rid the ants. And I get flamed and accused of negligence. He was reaching for a crayon, we were not allowing him to chew glass while juggling knives.

I am so sorry your trip turned into a disaster. It's bad enough you had all those problems with your rooms!!! But to end up with a sick child too!!!!

I always agonize over the fact that my kid could get sick in WDW and it did in deed happen a few years ago.

He was 9 at the time and had a cold (at least that's what it appeard to be) a couple weeks prior to the trip. Nothing major; slight cough but no fever. Well the first day we arrived he was kinda quiet; not his normal happy self in WDW. The next day I awoke to "wheezing" coming from his chest. Then I felt his head and he had a fever. We used that Centra Care that's advertised in the rooms. Excellent facility! Someone came and picked us up and took us to the closest center. After a very through exam and x-rays the doctor told us that he had the beginnings of pneumonia!!!!!! (spelling) I freaked!!! Our second day out of 10 in WDW and my child was sick. I asked if we should have gone home but he said no; just rest a few days, gave us a great antibiotic and we did take it easy. Of course as soon as I got home I took him to his doctor for a good going over.

But it scared the hell out of me to be so far from home, without DH and my child sick.

I'm sure your next trip will be better.

BTW what was the cause of the twins illness???

Jeez, maybe as a parental requirement, we now need to have a carpenters license? :rolleyes: I personally would never have thought to look UNDER frames etc. although after twins post (ty very much twin) I will now have a fleeting thought each time my 5 yr old DD sits at the Beach Club. My thoughts are w/ you twin in the hopes that the FEW negative posts will NOT sway you from conversing on this forum. I'm sure your next trip will be wonderful. Kim

twinmom,
I'm guessing people who are making negative posts about your supposed lack of vigilance don't have kids! I have 3 little boys and I am amazed at the many ways they can hurt themselves in a split second even with me STANDING RIGHT NEXT TO THEM! It irritates me to no end that people are implying that your kids will never hurt themselves as long as you are vigilant. That is completely ludicrous and I don't think you should even give those comments a second thought or dignify any more of them with a reply. Some people just won't be convinced that their point of view is rather narrow...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter