trip during February vacation, question on express passes

Kremlar

Earning My Ears
We're doing a 1 week Orlando trip next month, getting there mid-week before school vacation then leaving mid-week during school vacation (2/13-2/20). We're doing both Disney and Universal, staying off-site.

Based on my experience with a similar trip last year crowds thinned DRAMATICALLY the Monday and Tuesday after vacation week. I'm hoping for this trip crowds will be relatively thin the couple days BEFORE vacation week.

With Disney I know tickets include fast passes and we know how to work the system pretty well. Even during vacation week last year we really didn't stay in any lines longer than 30 minutes and most of the time walked right in.

With Universal I know we need to purchase express passes, but they are better than the Disney fast passes in that there is no check-in time.

So, I'm debating between 1 of 2 options (and I'm certainly open to other recommendations):

1 - Go to Universal right when we get to Orlando, which is before vacation week, hoping the lines are short and we can save $ by not buying express passes. We'd still have the fast passes to use at Disney to help us avoid long lines.

2 - Go to Disney first before vacation week and plan on buying express passes for Universal, which would be during vacation week. This would allow us to do Disney before vacation week, reducing line times, but still enjoy Universal because we'd have the express passes.

Any recommendations? Anything else to consider?

Also, is it possible to share express passes? It's very likely that, because of age differences with the kids, we'd only use 3 or 4 passes at once a majority of the time. Can we buy 3 passes and share between 5 people?

Thanks in advance!

We're doing a 1 week Orlando trip next month, getting there mid-week before school vacation then leaving mid-week during school vacation (2/13-2/20). We're doing both Disney and Universal, staying off-site.

Based on my experience with a similar trip last year crowds thinned DRAMATICALLY the Monday and Tuesday after vacation week. I'm hoping for this trip crowds will be relatively thin the couple days BEFORE vacation week.

With Disney I know tickets include fast passes and we know how to work the system pretty well. Even during vacation week last year we really didn't stay in any lines longer than 30 minutes and most of the time walked right in.

With Universal I know we need to purchase express passes, but they are better than the Disney fast passes in that there is no check-in time.

So, I'm debating between 1 of 2 options (and I'm certainly open to other recommendations):

1 - Go to Universal right when we get to Orlando, which is before vacation week, hoping the lines are short and we can save $ by not buying express passes. We'd still have the fast passes to use at Disney to help us avoid long lines.

2 - Go to Disney first before vacation week and plan on buying express passes for Universal, which would be during vacation week. This would allow us to do Disney before vacation week, reducing line times, but still enjoy Universal because we'd have the express passes.

Any recommendations? Anything else to consider?

Also, is it possible to share express passes? It's very likely that, because of age differences with the kids, we'd only use 3 or 4 passes at once a majority of the time. Can we buy 3 passes and share between 5 people?

Thanks in advance!

You do not have to do all Disney then Universal or all Universal and then Disney, right?

Wed 2/13 and Thur 2/14 are probably going to be the least crowded days of your trip since a lot of the Presidents Week crowd will not have arrived yet. Assuming you are going to be ready to hit a park first thing on the morning of 2/13, I would probably go to either Magic Kindom (do new Fantasy Land stuff) or IOA (do Harry Potter stuff) on that day and then on 2/14 do the other.

Another thing to consider on 2/16 and 2/17 there will be a Mardi Gras parade at Universal Studios followed by a concert. That will make things more crowded in the afternoon but the parade is supposedly pretty cool and the concert is free with admission.

You do not have to do all Disney then Universal or all Universal and then Disney, right?

Right - I'm going to pick and choose days based on estimated crowds, avoid Extra Magic Hours days at Disney, etc.

Wed 2/13 and Thur 2/14 are probably going to be the least crowded days of your trip since a lot of the Presidents Week crowd will not have arrived yet. Assuming you are going to be ready to hit a park first thing on the morning of 2/13, I would probably go to either Magic Kindom (do new Fantasy Land stuff) or IOA (do Harry Potter stuff) on that day and then on 2/14 do the other.

Unfortunately we're not coming in until 2/13 night, so 2/14 is our first day. We were planning on doing either Magic Kingdom or Islands of Adventure (without express) that first day.

Another thing to consider on 2/16 and 2/17 there will be a Mardi Gras parade at Universal Studios followed by a concert. That will make things more crowded in the afternoon but the parade is supposedly pretty cool and the concert is free with admission.

Thanks! Good to know... we'll probably avoid those days then.

You cannot share Express Passes.

Thanks

You should wait until you arrive before purchasing Express Plus passes as they are date specific and non-refundable. There's a good chance you will not need them during your visit.

The Mardi Gras performer Saturday night is The Steve Miller Band which will bring in a fair sized crowd. Sunday night is Boys Like Girls so both nights will be busy at the Studios.

I know you said you were staying off property - I would encourage you to look at the prices for staying one night on property at Universal. You get two days of unlimited express pass by staying on property one night (check in day and check out day) plus you get into the Wizarding World of Harry Potter an hour early. If you PURCHASE the express pass at Universal, my understanding is you can use it at anytime - but you can only use it once per ride - the hotel express pass in unlimited.

We just got back and went to Universal on Monday and Tuesday (thinking that the crowds will mostly be gone as school will have restarted. It was still quite busy at Harry Potter in the middle of the day and we were very happy we could enjoy the quiet hour before the masses arrived. We LOVED the unlimited express pass- my kids road the Hypogriff coaster 4 times in a row with no line (the posted wait time was 30-60 minutes) - they did Spiderman twice - the wait time was over an hour in the standby line.

Thanks. We did that last year and it worked out well - stayed on-site at Disney, then moved to Hard Rock @ Universal and took advantage of the free express passes. I didn't know there was an unlimited vs. regular express pass.

I checked the web site and it does seem they offer a unlimited express pass with part to park tickets if you buy off the site but it's very expensive. For 3 adults + 2 kids, price is $979.95 for 1 day or $1354.95 for 2 days.

We could get a room at the Royal Pacific PLUS buy 2+1 day tickets for ~$925 + taxes and resort fees, so if we wanted to go the unlimited express pass route that seems to be the way to go.

We are staying at Bonnet Creek for 1 week, and I believe the cleaning fee is waived because we are staying for 7 days so chopping a day off that won't save us much if anything.

My 13 year old is roller coaster obsessive, so the unlimited express pass would be huge for him vs. the regular express pass.

UGH so many decisions!

I had a similar decision.

I was planning on staying two nights at Universal and the rest at Disney but then I got free dining at Disney. The extra dining credits we get for staying at Disney the entire time will save us some money plus the Disney hotel is cheaper.

I hate missing the early entry hour and the express pass and I hope I do not regret my decision too much. We'll see how it goes.

We get in on the night of 2/8 and we plan on attending US/IOA on Sat 2/9 (my kids love a Mardi Gras parade) and either Sun 2/10 or Mon 2/11.

Sounds good. Wish we could go on an off week, but don't like the kids missing school. We're compromising a bit to keep air fares, etc. reasonable - they'll miss 2.5 days with this mid-week to mid-week vacation.

We got lucky. My kids have an odd school schedule. They believe in a small summer breaks with more week long breaks through out the year. They started back 8/1 but then have off a random week in September and a random week in Feburary. Luckily the week off in Feb is the week before presidents day.

have a good trip.

We are going during our April vacation,4/13-4/18, and also staying at Wyndham Bonnet Creek. We plan on getting the cheapest room possible for the Express pass and using it as a day room.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter