Triathlon Thread 2013

Well, gotta say I am a little upset right now. Have my first 70.3 on Sunday and had a trip+fall=face plant during a jog on Saturday. Gash on lower left eyebrow, skinned knuckles, left shoulder impact with road rash and wrenching of neck that I broke 2 years ago next month. The tingling is worsening in fingers of left hand from the pinched nerve. Tried a little swim yesterday and my shot right shoulder was not good. It's tough being a little older (maybe a lot) than most.

Anyway, the barn door and fence gate are closed so it will be what it will be. Latest weather was for 80's and increasing chances of rain so that stinks also.

I am sooooo looking forward to a great weekend. Really, I am. :thumbsup2 :thumbsup2

I have both sleeved and sleeveless so I will test the water on Friday and Saturday. Might warm up a little with afternoon temps. in the 80's.

I hope you feel better by the race. Like another poster said my worst fear is injury or in my case flare as well right before a race. Uhg I flare with stress so you can guess what happens from time to time right before a race. Nothing more fun than racing on prednisone.

I was able to get in to the IronGirl in our area for August. So excited! I didn't pull the trigger in December, then it sold out in a day. So I e-mailed them about having a waitlist. They said they were waiting to hear back from some running groups for numbers so I didn't think I had a chance. I guess they had an opening! :cheer2:pixiedust:

I was able to get in to the IronGirl in our area for August. So excited! I didn't pull the trigger in December, then it sold out in a day. So I e-mailed them about having a waitlist. They said they were waiting to hear back from some running groups for numbers so I didn't think I had a chance. I guess they had an opening! :cheer2:pixiedust:

Sweet! I hear they are great races.

Tonight I fly off to my first triathlon this year. I get to do packet pick up day of. Looking forward to it and will post the race report here.

Thanks for the well wishes.

I am happy tonight after completing my 3rd triathlon. Now I have 2 Sprints from last year and today's Gator 70.3. My bad right shoulder didn't hurt during the swim but gave me fits on the bike and a couple of times during the 13.1.

I thought the swim felt funny for being in a lake, Lake Manatee, and DW heard from the lifeguards and people in boats that the wind and current was the worst ever.

Everybody complained about the wind on the bike. I was almost blown over 4 times. One woman had an orange hauler come into her bike lane!

The 13.1 was pretty uneventful.

Hope things went well for S_l_S. :thumbsup2

Excellent John! I heard about the wind. Way to battle through.

Had some friends do the HITS in Ocala and some do the Clermont International this weekend. Very windy in both races. Real slow bike times :)

Duane

Good morning! Popping in to say hello! Starting to train for my first Tri which is in July (a sprint). I am a runner looking to diversify and avoid injury through cross-training and better overall athleticism, and to try this amazing sport!

Welcome to the world of tri's. That's how I started, just kind of got tired of "just" running. Also figured this was a good way to reduce the stress on the legs.
enjoy,
Duane

Good morning! Popping in to say hello! Starting to train for my first Tri which is in July (a sprint). I am a runner looking to diversify and avoid injury through cross-training and better overall athleticism, and to try this amazing sport!

Another WELCOME and enjoy the journey.

My first Sprint was last July just 3 days after my 62nd birthday. Second Sprint was beginning of September and I had lots more fun. Just had the Gator 70.3 on Sunday and that one was a blast. Seems to be a pattern here....right?

Just registered for IMFL 70.3 in Haines City in May. Too old to go all out hard core so I guess I'm doing these races for fun and health, as long as they don't kill me. ;)

Alright John! Haines City, see you there. Hot an hilly and I mean hilly!
Duane

Thanks for the head's up.

Just finished a 36 mile ride with a buddy who did the Gator Half Duathlon on Sunday and then I did a 4.3 mile jog. Feeling pretty good.

I think we will be making a trip to San Antonio with another friend for a hilly ride or two before Haines City.

Good call, San Antonio is a good ride. Been up there a couple of times but it is such a far drive for us.

We are riding Haines City April 7 and 28. Gotta do New Orleans 70.3 in between there.

enjoy,
Duane

Did this race in a 24 hour trip to the Big Island, worked the day before and the day after.

Pre race: woke up at about 5:45am, went to race site about a five minute walk from hotel. Did packet pick up because I was not able to the day before. Something about landing at 8pm the night before. Set up my transition area then headed to the beach before the start.

Swim: Started in wave two of six, the race was wetsuit legal but I just wore trisuit. The swim was super choppy and got worse the farther in I got. This is the first time I have ever gotten motion sick while racing it was that choppy.

T1: Was kinda slow because I was trying to keep my breakfast in place. Got my bike shoes on then helmet in about 2:30

Bike: Started out rough, stomach still bugging me then got hit with the wind. Dropped my water bottle about mile 5. Got a replacement at the bottle exchange and dropped that one about mile 18. I need to work on this obviously or get an areo mount that all I do is refill. this bike was a first for me I was passing people and stayed ahead of them.

T2: racked bike changed shoes and put hat on and was off on the run.

Run: Started over lava rock then transitioned to road. Got water and a cliff block at every aid station. The volcanic fog got to me and I was having hot an cold flashes and severe cramping. Ran till I couldn't then walked and used this method the whole way. Last mile was off road with last .3 on the beach.

Overall this was the toughest Lavaman Waikaloa I have done and I took 7 minutes off my previous best time. This race has the best post race spread. If you can make this a destination race as a one go.

S_L_S-Sorry about the troubles but glad you beat your old time. Way to go. :thumbsup2 :thumbsup2

Good call, San Antonio is a good ride. Been up there a couple of times but it is such a far drive for us.

We are riding Haines City April 7 and 28. Gotta do New Orleans 70.3 in between there.

enjoy,
Duane

That sounds like a great plan. Just wondering what time you might make it to begin the rides and where would you park? At the Library??? Would you mind if I tagged along if I could make it?

John

OK, first impression is a 24 hr trip to the Big Island? Impressive then I saw where you were from. Nice race, sounds like lot of fun.

John, sent PM with cell number. More than welcome to come. I'll have more info Wednesday. Usually start at 7:30.
Duane

OK, first impression is a 24 hr trip to the Big Island? Impressive then I saw where you were from. Nice race, sounds like lot of fun.

John, sent PM with cell number. More than welcome to come. I'll have more info Wednesday. Usually start at 7:30.
Duane

Read it. Thanks :thumbsup2

Just wanted to share progress on my swimming. I had swim lesson #2 and i am getting better. I think i have moved up to "i am almost a swimmer" which is better than "i am not a drowner" which is where I was at before. I have 2 months now to become a 1/4 mile swimmer. Last week I was starting to lose hope on the swimming and triathalon, but hope has returned.

Love hearing the race reports. Giving me some ideas on what to expect.

Just wanted to share progress on my swimming. I had swim lesson #2 and i am getting better. I think i have moved up to "i am almost a swimmer" which is better than "i am not a drowner" which is where I was at before. I have 2 months now to become a 1/4 mile swimmer. Last week I was starting to lose hope on the swimming and triathalon, but hope has returned.

Love hearing the race reports. Giving me some ideas on what to expect.

Beside me being a sinker, I also had to overcome my rearward motion kicking. YES, I would kick and go backwards.

Time in the water is all you need.

Good luck and HAVE FUN!!!!

Nice job, Sith! Even though it was a tough day. Sure appreciate the RR...I think I might like to do that race, or the 70.3, in my quest for 50 states of triathlon. (I entered the Kona full lottery again, but....j :eek:).

7 weeks post-op as of tomorrow. might get cleared to run in 1 or 2 weeks. Have ridden on the trainer, but not often enough. Getting a plan to get serious again starting tomorrow! April Fools to me! :)

John VN...congrats on overcoming the recent injury and getting your race done! Please talk me out of Dopey. The Unofficial Dopey with 42 miles was plenty. lol My bf and I are going to DDD though.

Tiberius, thank you! Recovery going ok!

Garneska...keep it up!

Duane...Hi! I'm coming to WDW the week before the 70.3, but will not stay over the race weekend.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter