• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Trial Run for Dogs in Resort Rooms

Do you think dogs should be allowed in guests' rooms?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Dog attack victim here too. Japanese Akita. He was chained to a picnic table and drug it across the yard to where I was riding my bike. I was knocked off of my bike and was bitten and scratched enough that the dog was taken away via animal control. Me, I went to the ER. I still have scars. The dog ended up in doggy jail for 15 days and then was put down.

I love dogs. MY dogs. I know them, they know me. Other dogs? Not a fan. A large dog? Like you I will cross the street to avoid. And like you I hate owners that allow dogs to jump up after being told that I don't like it.

I end up having to put up with nasty smokers, I really don't want to have to put up with nasty dog owners.
I’m actually SHOCKED that there is no breed or size restriction! Especially the breed restriction b/c most homeowner insurance companies restrict breeds allowed. That seems dangerous!

Dog attack victim here too. Japanese Akita. He was chained to a picnic table and drug it across the yard to where I was riding my bike. I was knocked off of my bike and was bitten and scratched enough that the dog was taken away via animal control. Me, I went to the ER. I still have scars. The dog ended up in doggy jail for 15 days and then was put down.

I love dogs. MY dogs. I know them, they know me. Other dogs? Not a fan. A large dog? Like you I will cross the street to avoid. And like you I hate owners that allow dogs to jump up after being told that I don't like it.

I end up having to put up with nasty smokers, I really don't want to have to put up with nasty dog owners.

So sorry. Some dog lovers just don't get it.

I just don't see how they can possibly keep dogs off of walking paths at the resorts. That is the part that concerns me most.

FWIW, the recent YC room renovations installed all solid surface flooring.

What about the dogs that lift their leg to urinate (furniture, corner mouldings, etc.)? If the floors aren't perfectly level-where do you think the urine will go? Towards the baseboard mouldings I assume. I've had dogs all my life and love them, but I would never consider taking them to an unfamiliar hotel room only to leave them alone all day!

I have yet to smell the person that has been assigned to a guest room right before me. On the other hand I have smelled a dog or dogs that have been in the room.

Totally different situation.

Thankfully, they haven't started this with DVC. If they do, I pray they don't include our home resort or other favorites.
No, but I have had that experience while trying to eat.

I was just going to mention this as well. There have been many reports over the years of people who asked for the VIP cleaning for allergies and they appeared to not get any special cleaning judging by the condition of the room when they arrived. I wouldn't count on anything better.
We asked for it this last time (last month) since I heard dogs were allowed during the hurricane. I found cheerios under the bed, dust on top of Murphy bed and an obvious spot that never even got vacuumed. I told them we have a pet allergy. Luckily it was obvious that there was no dog in our room because it wasn't deep cleaned and my daughter didn't get sick. But just goes to show that an allergy clean means nothing.

What about the dogs that lift their leg to urinate (furniture, corner mouldings, etc.)? If the floors aren't perfectly level-where do you think the urine will go? Towards the baseboard mouldings I assume. I've had dogs all my life and love them, but I would never consider taking them to an unfamiliar hotel room only to leave them alone all day!
And when one dog marks his territory in the room, allllllllllllllllllll the rest will be compelled to do the same.

I figured as much. I was wondering if they would require people with service dogs to only book at dog friendly resorts. I guess not.

No, they can't. Some might book them though just because there would be established areas for walking their dogs.

I just emailed my travel agent to book a 4 night stay in a Fort Wilderness cabin; 3 adults and a goldendoodle. We weren’t even planning another trip to Disney until I saw this today. Penny will spend the day at Best Friends Day care and be with us in the cabin in the evening. She will never be left alone. We will each
take a turn staying in one night so that the other two can go see the fireworks etc. Fortunately we have been to Disney many times and our dog is used to long car rides. I can guarantee that this dog won’t bother anyone. We are thrilled.

Dogs will be allowed on magical express if you have allergies you will have to wait for another bus.

Dogs will not be allowed on public areas, but guest services can't promise this will be policed.

Noisy dogs will be asked to leave, only well behaved dogs are allowed. Again they can't promise how this will be policed.

Such as chair cushions, pillows, matteresses and duvet will not be changed.
And what if there is another guest getting on the next bus that also has a dog? I doubt there will be separate buses for dogs and no dogs.

Can't wait to see how they police the "well behaved" dog behavior. What's the grace period or allowable barks per minute?

I just emailed my travel agent to book a 4 night stay in a Fort Wilderness cabin; 3 adults and a goldendoodle. We weren’t even planning another trip to Disney until I saw this today. Penny will spend the day at Best Friends Day care and be with us in the cabin in the evening. She will never be left alone. We will each
take a turn staying in one night so that the other two can go see the fireworks etc. Fortunately we have been to Disney many times and our dog is used to long car rides. I can guarantee that this dog won’t bother anyone. We are thrilled.
That’s a good idea! I was thinking that if I ever wanted to take advantage of it that I wouldn’t leave them alone in a strange place. But this solves that. One of my dogs doesn’t eat well while boarding so this would solve that. Still not sure I’d ever take advantage of it b/c we like to fly & I have a golden retriever so that’s not happening! The dog that doesn’t eat well is a dachshund so that’s more reasonable, but flying is stressful enough without him! But I do like that WDW has made this an option & we are within driving distance.

The person who books that cabin after you and ends up in the hospital from the exposure to your dog might disagree. But I suppose that's their problem; not yours, right?!!

On the way home I found myself thinking about how this plays out at somewhere like the beach area in front of BC/YC. I get that Disney says they’ll limit dogs to certain spaces, one would like to think these places will be well away from more traveled common areas (eg, the beach area). One would like to think guests with dogs will read/respect the rules.

But how long before folks bring Fido out to play fetch on the beach? Maybe Fido would like to watch the movie under the stars as well. Maybe a little stroll around Crescent Lake. If I’m a guest of BC/YC, I just don’t want that as part of my stay there, if I’m being honest.

I’m trying to keep an open mind about this and will reserve full judgement until we see how this all works out, but it just seems like like such a slippery slope that could be fraught with countless enforcement and resource issues when it comes to resorts of this size/configuration.

Last edited:
The person who books that cabin after you and ends up in the hospital from the exposure to your dog might disagree. But I suppose that's their problem; not yours, right?!!
I don’t think this is fair to say. Guests who take advantage of an allowed WDW policy should not be made to feel bad. I completely understand not agreeing with this policy change, but that should be taken up with WDW like many are doing. A guest who takes advantage of this is not doing anything wrong unless they violate the rules.

I don’t think this is fair to say. Guests who take advantage of an allowed WDW policy should not be made to feel bad. I completely understand not agreeing with this policy change, but that should be taken up with WDW like many are doing. A guest who takes advantage of this is not doing anything wrong unless they violate the rules.

I'm severely allergic to dogs and will have an asthma attack with any dog residual, and very sad about all of this. But I completely agree with you, LSUmiss!

I'm curious how everyone seems to think they will have access to the dog day care. I've looked into booking that for my dog and it seems to book up very quickly. I don't think there are that many spots available.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter