• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Trial Run for Dogs in Resort Rooms

Do you think dogs should be allowed in guests' rooms?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

I'm all for it, I know go ahead and flame me. We have a little yorkie and she goes everywhere we go so we always stay in dog friendly hotels. I have never, not once been woken up in the middle of the night with a dog barking. I've been woken up with kids screaming, I've been woken up with couples fighting, I've been woken up with drunks in the hallway but never a dog barking. I have never seen dog poop on the grounds either, most dog owners are pretty good about scooping. Our dog is potty pad trained, which means she doesn't have to go outside to go to the bathroom, as a matter of fact she won't poop outside because she doesn't like anyone seeing her do it. As a matter of fact I'm going to my son's best friend's wedding next weekend in Jacksonville, my honey has to be out of town working that weekend so the dog has to come with me. She can't be boarded because she is very people dependent and won't eat if one of her people aren't around. Let's face it, most people who have pets and work outside the home leave those pets alone for at least 8 hours a day if not more so it's not really that different for the pet. I was at the Dolphin in Sept. and there was a couple there who were from the hurricane. Had two small dogs with them. The only way I knew those dogs were there was I saw her take them out one morning, I never heard a sound.
Couldn’t agree more. There are plenty of responsible pet owensrs out there just like there at plenty of irresponsible parents. The ridiculous questions of what will they do when they’re at the parks. IF I brought my dogs, it would be no different than the routine at home when we are at work. I would make a schedule designed to accommodate them. I understand that some ppl wouldn’t want to do all that on vacation but then this isn’t aimed at them. And $50-$75/night is a good bit. I would think anyone willing to pay that a night for the privilege would be more likely a responsible owner as there are plenty of cheaper options.

Since it’s only certain resorts, I don’t see the big deal. If you don’t like dogs or are allergic or whatever the issue is, don’t stay there.

It's 'not a big deal' if making a new reservation ~~ Yes, I will choose a different resort. But I have a Jan YC reservation for Marathon weekend ... no hope of changing that now.
Very disappointed that Disney is implementing this new "trial" on such short notice.

I don't like this idea at all. The rooms are not sound proofed enough to block the conversations of your neighbors, kids singing and running in the halls and doors slamming. Now we have to deal with dogs barking? I really hope they restrict this to a specific area and make sure other guests can opt to be placed elsewhere. I especially don't like the idea of people leaving dogs alone during the long days their owners are in the parks. Other than legitimate service dogs which are typically well behaved, I think Disney would be better off having mini-kennels at certain resorts so guests can easily visit and tend to their pets without having them in the rooms.

We took our dog to Portofino Bay hotel on two different occasions. Drove from Philadelphia and stayed for 4 nights each visit. Most hotels don't allow you to leave your dog alone in a hotel room. On the first trip we took him daily to a nearby doggie day care every day and then we went to the parks and picked him up in the early evening. On the second trip we had a pet sitter come in during the day a couple of days. It is expensive and takes a lot of work and planning to take your dog with you. If you are a responsible pet owner you are not going to be able to "do Disney" like you normally do when you go without your pet. We spent evenings at the resort and ate dinner either by ordering room service or going for take out and bringing it back to the room. All of this we knew going into the trip and all of us wanted to do it. And they were both great trips. St. Augustine is an especially dog-friendly town - we were able to take Copper on a dolphin watching trip. We stopped at parks and other dog friendly beaches along the way. It is definitely not something I would consider doing often and if this continues at Disney I would probably wait until our new dog is older before taking her. There were lots of other dogs at Portofino bay both times but I never heard them at night. We had no problems at all.

How do you make the greatest place in the world even better? Add dogs!!

My dogs would not enjoy Orlando in August but I'm excited to see all the other pups while we're there

Someone online mentioned a dog friendly resort, specifically for dog owners and I think thats an even better idea.

I voted no.

My daughter takes her dog on vacation and has never found a pet-friendly hotel that allows you to leave your dog unattended in the room all day. Surprised Disney will allow that. The Disney upcharge is about the same she pays to leave her dog sitting in a kennel so I can see why people might do this.

Most of the people I know who would actually take their pet on vacation, are also the ones who allow their pet on the beds/furniture. Not where I want to rest my head at night..

I will book one of the hotels that is NOT pet friendly when going to Disney.

$50

You are a responsible pet owner and very much in the minority.

My problem is with the dogs who go to the bathroom in the room, on the floor or on the carpet, and not on their "pads" that they receive at check in. And just try and get the next dog to not smell where the previous Fido went to the bathroom....and then they will lift their leg in the same spot, too. Urine smell is not something that is easily removed from fabrics/carpets and wood/laminate floors.

People are gross enough :crazy2:, but to add dogs to the mix...no thank you.
Do you have official statistics to support your bold statement that responsible pet owners are a minority??! Anecdotal accounts/personal experience doesn’t count.

Has anyone encountered issues at any of the Universal hotels since they allow dogs?

I'd be irate if we were ever given a dog room or placed in a dog building during a stay. Vacation, to us, also means getting a relaxing break from pet maintenance, poop scooping, barking, and everything else that comes with life with two rambunctious labs. The thought of needing to always watch where we're walking on the grounds, or hearing barking/whimpering through the walls would be incredibly annoying. I'm a pretty meticulous cleaner and I can't remove the "dogs live here" smell from our home for longer than a day or two. Dogs SMELL no matter how often they're groomed. I can't believe housekeeping can handle the kind of disinfecting required in such a room turnover.

The results of the trial will be interesting. Like almost everyone here, I know a variety of dogs and their owners, from the best-behaved dogs and the most responsible owners to the hounds from Hades and their clueless owners. I have no issue with responsible dog owners, but I worry about those on the other end of the spectrum. Unfortunately, the most irresponsible owner I know is also the most in denial about just how ill-behaved her dog is. She would be furious if a CM "reminded" her to follow the stated rules or, heaven forbid, remove her dog from the resort.

I'm afraid that the CMs will have more problems to deal with, thanks to this trial.

Last edited:
There apparently are going to be specific rooms where the dogs will be accepted. Does that mean Disney is limiting the number of "dog friendly" rooms at the resorts?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter