Treehouse Villas - Ethernet Cord

newt1912

Mouseketeer
Hello. Plan to stay on Treehouse Villa with another couple. Our friends will have the master BR which has ethernet connection for laptop. My husband and I will have 2nd BR. Each couple will have laptop/tablet with them.

Will my idea of bringing my own 50 ft ethernet cord work? If plugged in Master BR connection and run under the door to LR, will it reach over to one of the sofas?

Bring a small wireless router with you and make a wireless connection. Just password protect it. We have a small travel router for this case and it works GREAT for multiple devices sharing the connection.

Bring a small wireless router with you and make a wireless connection. Just password protect it. We have a small travel router for this case and it works GREAT for multiple devices sharing the connection.

Help me out here because I have trouble with high tech stuff. Please explain this concept to me.

I was looking at USB modems to connnect to my laptop but reviews were not always positive and getting a plan seemed to be costly, etc. Is that what you mean by a wireless router?

I have a wireless router thing in my house but it has service through Comcast Cable. That is why I don't know what you mean by a wireless router that I could just take on vacation with me.

I would appreciate all info you can give me about this because I could use it for other vacation spots. Thanks.

Help me out here because I have trouble with high tech stuff. Please explain this concept to me.

I was looking at USB modems to connnect to my laptop but reviews were not always positive and getting a plan seemed to be costly, etc. Is that what you mean by a wireless router?

I have a wireless router thing in my house but it has service through Comcast Cable. That is why I don't know what you mean by a wireless router that I could just take on vacation with me.

I would appreciate all info you can give me about this because I could use it for other vacation spots. Thanks.

This one is similiar to what we have. it's actually the newer model to ours, as we've had it for a few years. A lot of people also like the airport express from Apple as it's REALLY small. They are VERY easy to set up, you just need to do it prior to leaving home.

http://www.amazon.com/D-Link-DAP-13...U/ref=sr_ob_12?ie=UTF8&qid=1316443264&sr=8-12

This one is similiar to what we have. it's actually the newer model to ours, as we've had it for a few years. A lot of people also like the airport express from Apple as it's REALLY small. They are VERY easy to set up, you just need to do it prior to leaving home.

http://www.amazon.com/D-Link-DAP-13...U/ref=sr_ob_12?ie=UTF8&qid=1316443264&sr=8-12

Price is good. Thanks for info. Let's see if I understand the concept. This wireless router will hook into my laptop and will then recognize Disney's hardwired internet connection, correct? Unlike the USB modems, it won't be like I have my own personal wi-fi, correct? It just enables me to hook to Disney's internet and I will get the Disney welcome screen to sign up for the plan?

Let me know if I am understanding correctly? If so, what is involved in setting it up at home?

It actually plugs into the ethernet socket into the wall, not your laptop. it will create a wifi network for your individual villa, for everyone in the villa to share, like the network you have at home. As for setting it up, the directions for mine were pretty easy and I just followed them at home prior to leaving and enabled password protection. Now it's set up and my devices recognize it, so now it's just plug and play from now on. If I recall, setting it up took less than 5 minutes.

It actually plugs into the ethernet socket into the wall, not your laptop. it will create a wifi network for your individual villa, for everyone in the villa to share, like the network you have at home. As for setting it up, the directions for mine were pretty easy and I just followed them at home prior to leaving and enabled password protection. Now it's set up and my devices recognize it, so now it's just plug and play from now on. If I recall, setting it up took less than 5 minutes.

See, I told you I was not up on high tech. Makes sense though. Sounds good. Thank you so much for your help.

Definitely do the router! Exactly what I was going to suggest after reading your first post. I am not familiar with the travel routers but we have one in our house that we got at Best Buy called LinkSys. I think it was around $75. There might be cheaper ones. We bought it because otherwise if we use Time Warner's, they charge us monthly for the equipment. We bought an extra one that we take on vacation where there is only wired internet. It's very easy - just plug in the ethernet cord to the router, and then the router will show up in your wireless networks on your laptops. Then you can use them anywhere in the villa, and probably outside too!

Then you can use them anywhere in the villa, and probably outside too!

Thank you all for the great advice. Wow, to be able to sit on the deck and relax with my laptop will be great.

Does anyone think it is strange that Disney puts these ethernet connections in the bedroom? I forget if it was BC or WL villas or both actually that had it near the kitchen table area and that was great. I hate them in the bedrooms! I also think it is strange that a technology advanced company like Disney doesn't have Wi-Fi for each resort.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter