Treehouse questions

Bouncin-Tigger

DVC + DIS = Expensive Habit
Where are they located at SSR, how far away are they from checkin and pools, how far from the buses, We are thinking of booking but we have 2 little ones and a wife who isnt outdoorsy so wondering if there is paths that lead around the resort?

They are west of SSR, filling the gap between SSR and OKW, and pretty far from either the SSR or OKW pools. You could walk it, and there are paths, but it would be a hike -- especially coming home from the pools with two tired kids.

All THV villas are three-bedrooms that sleep a maximum of 9, and the points cost is the same as an SSR two-bedroom. With a family of four, you don't really need that much space. You could do a studio (especially an OKW studio with two queen beds and a bit more space), and a one-bedroom would be ideal.

Unless you are taking another family with you, THV doesn't really make much sense...especially if your wife doesn't care for the outdoors and critters.

If your wife is not outdoorsy, don't do it!

Yeah, I agree. They are all free-standing buildings. Although the accommodations appear to be VERY modern and attractive, the "feel" of the trip will be one step up from camping. There will be very little sense of being at a resort hotel. No valet parking. No room service. No air conditioned hallways. Lots of trees. Parking is pretty much outside of your building--next to the BBQ grill. ;)

The Treehouses open in about a week so, at the very least, I'd wait to see what others think of them before you decide to go that direction.

Go figure, Florida has bugs!

You haven't lived till a Palmetto Bug does it's bombadere kamakazi dive and rather than fly the other way, they head straight for you! That'll finish your nightly walk with a bang!

Go figure, Florida has bugs!

You haven't lived till a Palmetto Bug does it's bombadere kamakazi dive and rather than fly the other way, they head straight for you! That'll finish your nightly walk with a bang!
I'll tell you what's worse -- horseflies. They actually attack, and unlike our cute little palmetto bugs, they bite! One bit me through my hat a couple of years ago and I had a knot on my head for a week.

I was out at Everglades yesterday and the horseflies were trying to get to me through my truck window -- sounded like pebbles hitting your windshield. They hit so hard I expected to see splattered bugs, but they just flew off, circled around and tried again.

Fortunately, I don't think horseflies are much of a problem at WDW.

I'll tell you what's worse -- horseflies.
They're persistent little suckers, I live in horse country and you are right, horseflies don't give up till they get you!

I think that the nature portion of THV will be an issue for some and maybe that will allow for those of us who don't own at SSR to give them a try! :lmao:

I think there are several groups THV will not appeal to.

One is the folks who are not comfortable with bugs, lizards, frogs, and -- dare I say it? -- snakes. Or racoons, possums, squirrels, deer, etc. A lot people really are creeped-out by critters, and THV will be a critter-rich environment.

The other demographic is folks who depend on the bus system. It probably doesn't make sense to have dedicated buses for 60 villas, but to me the bus plans look really problematic.

Also, you need a pretty good-sized party to justify the points cost of THV. I think THV will be awesome for a party of six (8-9, not so much) but I wouldn't stay there with my family of 3. THV would be 60% more points per night than an OKW 1 BR, which suits us perfectly. So that points-cost will eliminate people who could do fine in a studio or 1 BR.

All that said, with only 60 villas, I think THV is going to be a very tough ressie inside 7 months.

My family will be at THV in just three weeks. I think I'd better have a talk with my sons and nephews about the wildlife they might encounter, especially the snakes.

We didn't have any trouble at the Fort Wilderness Cabins a few years ago, but that place was not right beside a canal.

My family will be at THV in just three weeks. We didn't have any trouble at the Fort Wilderness Cabins a few years ago, but that place was not right beside a canal.

By the same token none of us have stayed there, so it's just suppositions based on what we typically encounter in Florida in that lush kind of setting. Please report back after you're stay and fill us in!

My family will be at THV in just three weeks. I think I'd better have a talk with my sons and nephews about the wildlife they might encounter, especially the snakes.

We didn't have any trouble at the Fort Wilderness Cabins a few years ago, but that place was not right beside a canal.
Wildlife generally presents very little risk to humans as long as we use just a tiny bit of common sense. Most wildlife will flee any human at first sight. A few, like otters, are curious, but they won't get very close.

All you really need to tell the kids about snakes is to look before they step, and don't turn over tree branches, rocks, etc. If they see a snake, watch it and enjoy it...but don't tease it or try to pick it up.

During our EMS refresher last Fall, we had a presentation by the local fire rescue snake guys. They showed us a dozen or so snakebite pictures, and in every single picture the bite was on the fingers. I'm pretty sure there's a natural selection lesson in those pictures.

Snakes are very shy normally, and they will not chase you. Even if they did, you could out-WALK them -- they're a LOT slower than you are. Many water snakes, both venomous and non-venomous, will stand their ground, but they won't come after you...no matter how many silly stories you've heard.

By the same token none of us have stayed there, so it's just suppositions based on what we typically encounter in Florida in that lush kind of setting. Please report back after you're stay and fill us in!
Also, Disney housed their international college-student CM's at THV for years without incident. They only moved them out when they started rebuilding the place for us.

The Treehouses share the same general surroundings as many Old Key West villas (canal, trees nearby) and I don't recall reading any major reports of incidents there. The Treehouse area will be a bit more densely forested, but I'm not anticipating any major issues. My son (8) will probably get a kick out of whatever we may encounter. ;)

Q: What wild animal injures more visitors in National Parks each year than any other?

A: Deer.

I have seen some assorted critters over the years at WDW.

As our park bus approached the Carribbean Beach Resort, kids were oohing and ahhhing over what they thought was an audioanimatronic - it was a live 'gator sunning next to water near the resort entrance..

One year at OKW we saw the WDW wildlife rescue vehicle rush out to protect an extremely large turtle attempting to cross the road...guess we know where Turtle Pond pool area got its name from...

Also at OKW one year we had a friendly tree frog who would crawl up our bedroom window at night..

Not to mention the assorted bunnies we have seem roaming around the resorts...

Who needs Animal Kingdom Villas? LOLOL!!

We looked at the model at SSR last week. It's a miniature model. Has anyone here seen it? There is also a picture of the layout. It appears to be 65 units and there is 1 pool. It looks to be a long way from the pool to parts of the compound. I can't wait to hear the reports. This is something that does not interest us, but do look forward to other's reports.

Wildlife generally presents very little risk to humans as long as we use just a tiny bit of common sense. Most wildlife will flee any human at first sight. A few, like otters, are curious, but they won't get very close.

All you really need to tell the kids about snakes is to look before they step, and don't turn over tree branches, rocks, etc. If they see a snake, watch it and enjoy it...but don't tease it or try to pick it up.

During our EMS refresher last Fall, we had a presentation by the local fire rescue snake guys. They showed us a dozen or so snakebite pictures, and in every single picture the bite was on the fingers. I'm pretty sure there's a natural selection lesson in those pictures.

Snakes are very shy normally, and they will not chase you. Even if they did, you could out-WALK them -- they're a LOT slower than you are. Many water snakes, both venomous and non-venomous, will stand their ground, but they won't come after you...no matter how many silly stories you've heard.

Don't know if you have the snakes we know around here as "black racers." they will chase you, but they don't attack, and they aren't poisonous. One chased my mother onto a concrete patio at our lakehouse, many years ago, but was unable to keep his speed up, once he hit that smooth concrete. Again, these snakes are harmless - but they can almost seem mischievous. Of course, I guess that they don't realize that kind of behaviour can get them killed.

And there's my "silly story" for the day - although also true.

We're going in Sept. with 6 people which seems like a perfect number for the THVs. I'm very much looking forward to all the reports that will be on this board in just a few short weeks! :thumbsup2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter