Treehouse Demo

The letter stated "replacement of current treehouse units"- does that mean they will rebuild them? I would love to stay there some time.

I stayed in the Treehouses when I was a kid. My family loved them and we were sad when they closed them. Aren't they currently being used for CM housing? Maybe Disney is going to replace them with new CM dorms. It would be fun to have new Treehouses.

I've been hearing rumors that the CM's are being moved out of the Treehouses.

From the submission by Disney for permits:

Disney is proposing to dismantle and remove the existing "Treehouse" units and replace them with new structures. ... The new "Treehouse" structures will have a minimum elevation of... (bla bla bla) No modification is proposed for roadway alignment, only resurfacing and there is no increase or expansion planned for the pool .. or clubhouse area.

The new treehouses don't look terribly different from the old ones with the exception that the 'ground floor footprint will be smaller resulting in a smaller flood plain encroachment'.

Whatever THAT means. :)

Knox

Something get edited out of this thread from this morning, or am losing my mind?

The current tree house villas are being used for College Program student over flow. However Disney is also just finishing up another complex for college students near the current 3 developments. That is what my sources tell me.

The new treehouses don't look terribly different from the old ones with the exception that the 'ground floor footprint will be smaller resulting in a smaller flood plain encroachment'.

Whatever THAT means. :)

Knox

The ground floor footprint will be smaller, but the living quarters will be a bit larger. I'm looking forward to seeing how they turn out. :thumbsup2

If this becomes reality, does anyone think that they will become part of SSR?

I don't come to this area of the board much - and you all probably know this already - but the treehouses couldn't be used anymore for the general public because of not being ADA (handicap) accessible. The captain of the boat taking us to DTD from POFQ told us that, and that they were used for the college program housing, at least they were at the time he told us that. So, if they wanted to actually use them for any reason, I would imagine nothing short of rebuilding them would work, or they would have already made the changes a while ago.

I bet it drives the "powers that be" at Disney to have those there and not be able to use them. They are so unique that it is probably a good investment.

Don't always believe what bus drivers, boat captains, or monorail pilots tell you.

They have a tendency to make a lot of things up, and spread rumors.

The subs at Disneyland are not handicapped accessible, yet they are open again!:cool1:

It's called grand fathering.

Besides, many of the Treehouse villa's had ramps making them accessible. Granted, a lot of the ramps came down in the hurricanes.

Don't always believe what bus drivers, boat captains, or monorail pilots tell you.

They have a tendency to make a lot of things up, and spread rumors.

I'm still waiting for the new monorail track thru the Dolphin and Swan, and the new Sports theme park, my bus driver told me about in 1998.

I don't come to this area of the board much - and you all probably know this already - but the treehouses couldn't be used anymore for the general public because of not being ADA (handicap) accessible. The captain of the boat taking us to DTD from POFQ told us that, and that they were used for the college program housing, at least they were at the time he told us that. So, if they wanted to actually use them for any reason, I would imagine nothing short of rebuilding them would work, or they would have already made the changes a while ago.

I bet it drives the "powers that be" at Disney to have those there and not be able to use them. They are so unique that it is probably a good investment.

If they are part of SSR, they may me the requirements to satisfy ADA.

Once again.. of the 60 Treehouses only FOUR have to be ADA accessible.
- From SueinMN, one of the mods here on the disABILITIES forum.

That's hardly a financial burden. In fact, previously, some of these existing units already had ramps and necessary modifications.. Hurricane something-or-other damaged some of those ramps and entrances and caused some considerable water damage to some units. Perhaps that is where the ADA stuff came from??

The problem is not now, nor has it ever been ADA issues.

The problem is the wetland conservancy on which they sit. The new construction will bring them in line with the new rules set for that land area. They are currently exceeding the acceptable ground footprint for that flood plain.

Ramps and minor modifications (ie: roll in shower / wide doorways etc) could be done in the new construction to make the requisite number of units ADA compliant.

:)

Knox

Oh don't apologize.. it's not THAT big a deal.. seriously..!

Actually, *I* apologize if that came across as rude.. but you hear ADA issues repeated with Disney stuff all the time and in 98% of all cases.. it's a red herring. It is simply not true.

And it's not fair to the ADA law.. and it's not fair to those with disabilities who feel 'blamed' for things wrongly.

Ramps and minor modifications (ie: roll in shower / wide doorways etc) could be done in the new construction to make the requisite number of units ADA compliant.

:)

Knox

Ramps would not be very practical for the Treehouses. ADA specs a maximum ramp rise of 1 in 12 (1" of rise for every 12" of run), The Treehouse decks scale off at about 8' in height, which would require a ramp 96' in length. :scared1:

ADA also specs that compliant ramps have a landing after every 30" of rise, at 8' the Treehouses would require three landings.

It also appears that the central core of the new design would not allow for an elevator.

There is a simpler solution, an exterior lift exiting on to the deck:

http://www.universal-accessibility.com/products/AGcommercial.html

This would take up very little space (app 16sf), and since it would not be inside the structure, would allow for easy replacement.

Just a thought. :thumbsup2

That could very well be.. I know they had ramps before.. but of course.. who knows what they'll have next! :)

Be interesting to see for sure.

Ramps would not be very practical for the Treehouses. ADA specs a maximum ramp rise of 1 in 12 (1" of rise for every 12" of run), The Treehouse decks scale off at about 8' in height, which would require a ramp 96' in length. :scared1:

And thats about how long they were.....

Just returned from a stay at SSR bld 93, next to the green of 18th hole. The 18th is adjacent to the back of the Tree House property and the cart path is only 10-20 feet away from units in many places. One morning I did part of my run along this section of the cart path and was able to see how dilapadated the units are. I wouldn't want my college student staying in one of these dumps!
It would be great if they are able to rehab this property as it is a nice location.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter