Treasure Island FL, hotels

njmomtoone

Mouseketeer
Flying into Tampa in two weeks for business, one night only. We have a meetig in St. Pete.

Looking at some beachfront hotels in Treasure Island area. Anyone familiar with that area? The one hotel that I am leaning towards is The Bilmar Beach Resort. It gets really good reviews on Trip Advisor. It's only 3 miles from our meeting.

I am travelling with my boss' son and want to make sure it's nice.

Thanks!

Hi:
I'd try posting this on the Orlando Board as many of timeshare owners travel around Florida.

Good luck.

The Bilmar is a relatively nice hotel right on the beach. It is better than most in that area. They tend to be the low budget mom and pop type motels.

My brother in law and my mother in law both had their weddings in the party room there. (Mother in law's second marriage, obviously. I wasn't there for the first. :))

If you like coal fired pizza, there is a little hole in the wall pizza place right across from there that is really good. Its in the plaza with the beach shop right on the corner.

Maggie

I went to Treasure Island earlier this year and stayed at the Best Western Sea Castles Hotel. That is my only hotel experience that I have and it was an "okay" hotel. I really wouldn't recommend it to anyone but I wouldn't rule it out for future visits since it's economical and right on the beach. The area from Clearwater Beach through Treasure Island is not a very long drive so that can open up your searches for places to stay.

My in-laws own a timeshare ON Treasure Island and we were just there this past weekend again. We go twice a year. I have not seen the rooms at Bilmar but we do eat at Sloppy Joe's which is at the Bilmar on every trip and its great. There are 2 hotels that are really nice a few blocks north that are a little more pricey although I have no clue what the going rate is for Bilmar.

Sunset Vistas: http://www.providentresorts.com/sunset-vistas-beachfront-suites/

Residence Inn: http://www.marriott.com/hotels/travel/tpati-residence-inn-st-petersburg-treasure-island/

Ok I just looked at Bilmar online and the rooms look nice! But the rates seem high? check out those other two and compare. Treasure Island is great...Johns Pass is fun, try that out if you have time. Have fun!

If your meeting is in St. Pete's, why not stay on St Pete's beach. We go to the Don Cesar right on the beach. The hotel is gorgeous and they have a good restaurant and pool bar that serves food. The rooms are a little pricier than what you'd get in Treasure Island. The Don Cesar also has a "Beach House" about a 1/2 mile away which are really condo-like accommodations. They are less expensive.

Maybe for just one night it would be worth the splurge!

Is your meeting in St. Pete or St. Pete Beach.

I agree that the Don Cesar is a much nicer hotel than the Bilmar. It probably comes with a much bigger price tag too. But if its within your budget, that is a better choice if you are trying to impress.

Maggie

I agree that the Don Cesar is a much nicer hotel than the Bilmar. It probably comes with a much bigger price tag too. But if its within your budget, that is a better choice if you are trying to impress.

Maggie

Meeting is in St. Pete. Not trying to impress. My boss is cheap:)

Maggie

Just checked it out and it is $219 a night. A little too pricey.

I have stayed at Sunset Vistas before for a week and we LOVED it. Most of them are 2 bedroom condo type places with 2 bathrooms and a terrace. I would highly recommend this place. Not sure of prices this time of year, we went off season one year and the price was fantastic for a week stay on the beach in Treasure Island.

Hope that helps you.

A few years ago we stayed at Thunderbird Inn, a mom & pop right on the oceanfront with balcony, tiki bar at pools, really clean and so forth.
We were meeting some people before WDW and they chose it, but we really enjoyed our stay.

Check tripadvisor.com for reviews. Love that site. Its #5 of 41 hotels right now.

ETA: although on Trip Advisor, you do have to read between the lines sometimes, and see how many reviews someone has posted. If its just one review and negative, it could be from a competitor trying to make their hotel look better.

When going down to vist my grandparents we would stay at the Suncoast Motel. It's right next door to the Bilmar... I haven't been down there in atlease 5 years so I am not sure what it is like now. We always enjoyed our stay, clean, right on the beach.

http://suncoastmotel.com/

We stayed at the Residence Inn, Treasure Island in March for 28 nights. We took our daughter to a speech therapy center in St. Petersburg. The Residence Inn was very nice and it was a very pleasant stay. The rooms were very nice, we had a 1 bedroom suite. We ate at Sloppy Joe's at the Bilmar twice and it was fun and the food was good. The pizza place someone referred to was "Britt's Pizza" and we thought it was pretty good pizza.
PammyPoppins

If your meeting is in St. Pete's, why not stay on St Pete's beach. We go to the Don Cesar right on the beach. The hotel is gorgeous and they have a good restaurant and pool bar that serves food. The rooms are a little pricier than what you'd get in Treasure Island. The Don Cesar also has a "Beach House" about a 1/2 mile away which are really condo-like accommodations. They are less expensive.

Maybe for just one night it would be worth the splurge!

I SECOND THE DON CESAR. Beautiful, right on a beautiful beach. And there's so many great things over there, restaurants and etc. :wizard:

We stayed at the Residence Inn, Treasure Island in March for 28 nights. We took our daughter to a speech therapy center in St. Petersburg. The Residence Inn was very nice and it was a very pleasant stay. The rooms were very nice, we had a 1 bedroom suite. We ate at Sloppy Joe's at the Bilmar twice and it was fun and the food was good. The pizza place someone referred to was "Britt's Pizza" and we thought it was pretty good pizza.
PammyPoppins

I think I recommended Britt's pizza to you on your thread too! I'm glad you tried it. It doesn't look like much, but the coal fired pizza is good. You can't get that kind of pizza around here - its all Chicago deep dish. (Which I love, but once in awhile I want some thin, crispy crust.)

Maggie

I think I recommended Britt's pizza to you on your thread too! I'm glad you tried it. It doesn't look like much, but the coal fired pizza is good. You can't get that kind of pizza around here - its all Chicago deep dish. (Which I love, but once in awhile I want some thin, crispy crust.)

Maggie

HI Maggie,
YES, you did!! and we tried it and it is really good pizza!! Treasure Island was great, thank-you for all your help.
PammyPoppims

We just spent Memorial Day weekend at the Thunderbird Beach Resort. The staff was great. The resort is old but the rooms are updated and more than adequate. It is located right on the beach across from Britt's Pizza and right next door to The Bilmar and Sloppy Joes. There is a Walgreens, Publix and several restaurants all within walking distance. The Thunderbird has a nice pool area with an out door Tiki Bar that serves up drinks and live music until the sun goes down. We will definitely go back again.

We stayed at the Bilmar Beach Hotel last year after our Disney trip. I picked it because of the reviews on Trip Advisor and their website. I have to say this is probably the worst place I have ever stayed. It sure put a damper on what was previously a fantastic vacation. The rooms were flithy and I will leave it at that because thats how gross it was. The only positive I can say is it is a beautiful beach.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter