Travels With Teens: Take Two “I Can Organize This Trip in My Sleep!”BC Dee in DC Roti & Fini p. 40

Such cute People Mover photos! I'll bet if Ben saw those two photos before your trip, he would have recreated it with you.

That's too bad your favorite salad was discontinued, but now you have me craving Sunshine Seasons' strawberry shortcake! You know that's the only thing I've ever eaten there. When we're on the dining plan, one snack credit is always saved for a strawberry shortcake.

Do you know how long they delay Illuminations until they just cancel it? Were the kids disappointed?

How many kids in your group had never been to Disney before this trip? Were they the most enthusiastic?

Looking forward to reading about the Y.E.S. class at Epcot?

BTW, how do you keep all your trip reports straight!? You must have a great memory and good notes.

Awwww love the then and (not really now... also then but closer to now?) Peoplemover pics! Cute!

OMG I want to do the golf ball thing! That sounds hilarious!!

<3 the monorail ride through Epcot. It's like a teaser, "here's some of what you can look forward to!"

Yikes, to the 70 minute wait at Soarin. But top row so, yay!!

:hug: Being at HS back to school night last night made my head spin. So when DS and his lanky 5'7" or whatever height he is now plopped across my lap for a backscratch I eat it up :) Not TR related but I'm glad Nate is coming around ;) Ben will probably always give hugs!! We mommas need them. One of the most precious parts of vacation is the older kids being kids :)

I volunteer in the high school library every week and the boys (young men) are so tall! There is one kid that I have known since he was a year old and he is now around 6 feet, 5 inches (actually he was always big, but still)...

It's true. Our boys act a lot differently when they are on vacation. My favorite part is that there is a lot less fighting!

::yes::

YES the monorail IS a ride :) Too bad about the Land. I love that ride. I did my Soarin FP for DH and I specifically making sure the Land will be open! Sorry about the salad, that stinks. I can picture the looks from some of the teens regarding the golf balls LOL.

Monorail IS a ride.jpg

I have missed riding Living with the Land on my past three trips! :(

I was hoping to do the Behind the Seeds tour during one of my "solo" August trips if the weather was rainy but unfortunately (fortunately), I didn't have to employ this plan.

That was such a great salad, but I discovered that similar versions make their appearance at other Disney restaurants (like bluezoo and Captain's Grille) :thumbsup2(for a LOT more money) :headache:

Great photos from the monorail!

I haven't ridden soarin' in a while because of the waits. I like Test track better I think. I have heard of the golf ball idea before but we have never done it.

Living with the land is a must do for me sucks that it was closed.

Thanks! I love being able to see the Future World rides and World Showcase from the raised vantage point of the monorail.

Ben and I overdosed a bit on Soarin' when we were at Disneyland. I'm looking forward to seeing the Soarin' Over the World version, though!

LWtL has always been one of my favorites!

::yes::

I have always wanted to do the golf ball trick and never think of it till I am there already...and no golf ball packed

I am disappointed that I came so close on the Soarin' golf ball trick, but then stupidly, I didn't have the balls to pull it off!

:rotfl:

Last edited:

That is a really cute picture. :)

Thanks! I love it, too!

You'l just have to lpan another trip to WDW. ;)

Sounds like a plan!

I had never heard about the golf ball trick until this August. Did you play this trick during Nate's school trip?

When I'm done with replies, I'll post that chapter from my previous class trip report.

They are something you could buy to commemorate your trip to Disney, kind of like a memory wall. You could add your family's image to it, for a price, of course, between 1999 and 2007.
https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/attractions/epcot/leave-a-legacy/

Thanks for the info. Since EPCOT is my favorite park, this is where I would leave a legacy. Nate was born in 1998 and we had a Disney lull until about 2008 (short trip in 2004 with just half a day at EPCOT) so we missed this opportunity.

Are there games to play in the stand by line? We've only done fp.

We mostly do FP too, but yes, there are games. I'm not even sure they run them if the line is short. One of them has the kids flap their arms to make birds on the screen move and maybe one of them involves balloons that you either pop or try to keep in the air.

I wanted to try it, too, and I waited too long. :(

Oh no!!!

:sad2:

They are part of the leave a legacy program that began in 199 before the millennium and ended a few years ago. Each tile has picture of guest who bought space on them similar to the bricks in the esplanade at Disneyland and the walk way round the world at the TTC and the MK entrance. I have one but can't remember the location of it.

Thanks for the info! Kind of neat to think about being at EPCOT or MK every single day. Sort of.

:goodvibes

Such cute People Mover photos! I'll bet if Ben saw those two photos before your trip, he would have recreated it with you.

That's too bad your favorite salad was discontinued, but now you have me craving Sunshine Seasons' strawberry shortcake! You know that's the only thing I've ever eaten there. When we're on the dining plan, one snack credit is always saved for a strawberry shortcake.

Do you know how long they delay Illuminations until they just cancel it? Were the kids disappointed?

How many kids in your group had never been to Disney before this trip? Were they the most enthusiastic?

Looking forward to reading about the Y.E.S. class at Epcot?

BTW, how do you keep all your trip reports straight!? You must have a great memory and good notes.

Thanks! He did see that first picture and at the time agreed to recreate the photo. But when it came down to it, he preferred to ride with friends instead of going with me just to recreate the photo and I don't blame him.

The SS strawberry shortcake is SO GOOD! The salad and shortcake were a practically perfect meal!!!

We talked to another group who stayed and I believe they said Illuminations went off around 9:45. I think they try very hard not to cancel the show, but I'm not sure at what point in time they decide they just can't do it.

There were only 3-4 boys along with 3 chaperones who tried to stay for Illuminations. The rest of the group returned to the resort when we were done with dinner.

There were a lot of kids in the group who either had never been to Disney or it had been many many years. I'm not sure if they were any more excited than the kids who have gone more frequently, though.

Thanks! I do have a pretty decent memory and I rely on the pictures I take to help fill in the details of my reports. I try to take notes at the end of the day of what I did and any special stories, but sometimes I am so exhausted that my attempt to write about the day backfires. It happened during this trip (I can organize this trip in my sleep) and also during the DIS meet trip in August.

This particular set of trips/reports has proved to be a bit difficult to manage. Universal in Feb, Disney Class trip in June, Universal/Disney-Beach Club trip in August with a Yellowstone trip and brief hospital stay in between.

:faint:

Hopefully I can remember a lot of the details of the Y.E.S class in EPCOT. I really liked it. No pictures were allowed backstage and we were so busy that day that I didn't get to make many notes.

Coming up!

:fish:

Awwww love the then and (not really now... also then but closer to now?) Peoplemover pics! Cute!

OMG I want to do the golf ball thing! That sounds hilarious!!

<3 the monorail ride through Epcot. It's like a teaser, "here's some of what you can look forward to!"

Yikes, to the 70 minute wait at Soarin. But top row so, yay!!

We don't really have a traditional "every year we will take a picture HERE" spot, but if I knew we would be going just about every year, I certainly would have started the tradition. Probably in the cage with Zurg (Bad Cow) in the Buzz Lightyear dump shop.

Yes! Totally awesome golf ball trick, especially with tweens or teens. Or Johnny! :lmao:

We often take the monorail from MK to EP when we are returning to the Beach Club. Love that run 'round EPCOT!

I honestly thought the 70 minutes was an inflated, end of the night time. Nope!

:eek:

Hooray i can see the photos :)
Love the photo of you and Ben exiting the people-mover :)

:banana::banana::banana:

Last edited:
Flashback to Nate's Class Trip in 2012: He got a golf ball! All I got was a cockroach!

We arrived at EPCOT around 7:30 PM. It was cool and drizzly.

P1100844-Copy.jpg

Unfortunately, the Innoventions buildings had closed at 7, so the boys couldn’t design their own thrill ride at Sum of All Thrills.

First order of business was to head to The Land, to see if there were still FP available for Soarin’.

Nope.

We’ll check back on the ride later.

One of the chaperones suggested a visit to Club Cool. Not my favorite place to go- it is so cold in there and the sticky floors are kind of gross, but it was definitely a good choice for the teens. The boys sampled soda, purchased some merchandise and of course, potty breaks were involved.

Once we all regrouped, I suggested we take a ride on Spaceship Earth. This was met by grumbles.

P1100855.jpg

“What’s even in there?”

“The line is too long!”

“It’s going to be educational and boring”

But we went. Line was 12 minutes long. I’m not sure they would admit to it, but I think the boys enjoyed the ride, especially the “Welcome to Your Future” feature.

After the ride, there were more potty breaks while some of the boys played with the interactive games and displays in the Spaceship Earth exit area.

Once we had regrouped, it was around 8:45 and we needed to decide where to go next. The two things the group wanted to do: Soarin’ and Mission Space.

Looking back- I think we made the wrong choice.

P1100859.jpg

We ended up in an hour long line for Soarin’ at 8:50. If I had thought about it, we could have gone to Mission Space, maybe seen some of Illuminations and then it would be EMH and only resort guests would still be in the park. Since we were in the Soarin line before closing time, all guests, resort and offsite, were part of the crowd.

Whatever!

The games screens were on in the queue line, but I had trouble figuring out what the kids were supposed to be doing.

While in line, a mom and her daughters struck up a conversation with members of our group. She was curious about our class trip, how it worked and she was intrigued that we came from so far away.

While we were in line, I looked down and I saw a cockroach scurrying across the floor. I’m not really the squeamish type, so I ignored it and let it continue on its way. A few minutes later, I heard some commotion behind me. I believe the roach had appeared near the mom and one of our boys “took care of it” for her.

For the rest of the time we were in the main line, she kept up a conversation with us. When it came to the point where you give the number of people in your party, and we said “Twenty”, her group was sent off in another direction. She seemed disappointed that she wouldn’t be riding with her new-found friends and exterminators.

So we are now in the loading line, where you get directed to the different take-off terminals. The line CM came through looking for one rider. A couple of our boys raised their hands, and I jokingly said “Pick me”

Well, one of the boys (not mine) said “Yeah, take her!”

Apparently, I have been too chaperone-y for some of our group.

The line CM must have felt really badly about the comment, because he started flirting with me, saying things like he would be glad to take me away from this group anytime.

At this point, I would like to send out a special shoutout to Feckless and her trip report, especially the part where she wrote about bringing a golf ball onto Soarin’ and instructing the kids to try and “catch” the golf ball during the movie. What a great idea! So I packed a golf ball for the trip and had it in my pocket. I tried to hand it over to Nate when we were being seated but he wanted nothing to do with it.

I handed it to another boy.

He played the part brilliantly! After the ride, he held up the golf ball and said

“Look, I caught the golf ball!”

And just for a second, one boy said “How did you do that???”

Which then turned into “Where did the golf ball come from?” and “Nate’s mom brought a golf ball to EPCOT?” :dance3:

Everyone was blown away by the ride on Soarin’

And as we were leaving The Land, I heard one boy exclaim

“He got a golf ball! All I got was a cockroach!”

The only problem is that I had planned on a stop back at the resort after our day at Magic Kingdom. You see, I had packed a couple of golf balls for Soarin’ but they were back in my room! My friend Linda was in on the plan to plant a couple of golf balls with students who would pretend to catch them during the golf course scene.
That's a cool idea!!! But then again, I can definitely see how giving a teenage kid a golf ball on Soarin could also be the biggest chaperone mistake you've ever made!!! :rotfl2::rotfl::lmao:

Nevertheless, we got onto the monorail for the ride from MK, to the TTC, to EP (YES, the monorail is TOO a ride!)

I love the previews as you ride through the park!
::yes:: I love taking the monorail into EPCOT!

The boys were pretty fascinated by the granite things on the way in. They asked me what they are, but I really don’t know.
Tombstones. I don't care what anybody else says. Nothing like entering a park to a morbid display of tombstones. :rolleyes1

We got to the building and the wait time was 70 minutes. UGH!!!

I figured that this was possibly an inflated wait time, so we decided to get in line.

Unfortunately, the wait time ended up being pretty accurate.
Oh yuck...

Ben especially was not pleased, for a few reasons. We NEVER wait in lines that are 40 minutes or more.
I feel his pain. There are very few attractions I'd ever wait over 40 minutes for and only in extreme circumstances. Like, you know, RnRC.

I mean, I like Soarin' but I've just never been that blown away by it. FP or 20 minutes is about my max.

Ben and I both ordered the Asian Tuna Noodle Salad. It was good, but it was not the salad I dream about!
Well, I'm glad it was at least good. And I can't say that I've ever dreamt about any salad. Nightmares, maybe...

We saw lightning hit the Spaceship Earth (no picture though)
Cool! A nearly impossible photo to get, but if you could have got that picture...

:rotfl2::rotfl::lmao:

I had actually never heard of the golf ball on Soarin' thing ... that's pretty cool. Sorry that you didn't get to do it, but now you know for next trip to always have golf balls on you, even if you're not planning to go to Epcot!
And I think your best bet for golf balls at Epcot would have been Mouse Gear, but I'm not sure they have them. I know World of Disney in Downtown Disney/Disney Springs sometimes has them, but I don't know that I've definitely seen them in a park.

Great pictures from the monorail! That's definitely something I want to do when I get a chance ... the view of Epcot from the monorail looks amazing!

We've only done Soarin' with FP. That line is a killer. I really hope the third theater helps with that!

Bummer about the salad and LTWL. And then Illuminations being delayed ... it's like you just couldn't catch a break. Oh well, hopefully the next day brought better weather and more fun!

Flashback to Nate's Class Trip in 2012: He got a golf ball! All I got was a cockroach!

We arrived at EPCOT around 7:30 PM. It was cool and drizzly.

P1100844-Copy.jpg

Unfortunately, the Innoventions buildings had closed at 7, so the boys couldn’t design their own thrill ride at Sum of All Thrills.

First order of business was to head to The Land, to see if there were still FP available for Soarin’.

Nope.

We’ll check back on the ride later.

One of the chaperones suggested a visit to Club Cool. Not my favorite place to go- it is so cold in there and the sticky floors are kind of gross, but it was definitely a good choice for the teens. The boys sampled soda, purchased some merchandise and of course, potty breaks were involved.

Once we all regrouped, I suggested we take a ride on Spaceship Earth. This was met by grumbles.

P1100855.jpg

“What’s even in there?”

“The line is too long!”

“It’s going to be educational and boring”

But we went. Line was 12 minutes long. I’m not sure they would admit to it, but I think the boys enjoyed the ride, especially the “Welcome to Your Future” feature.

After the ride, there were more potty breaks while some of the boys played with the interactive games and displays in the Spaceship Earth exit area.

Once we had regrouped, it was around 8:45 and we needed to decide where to go next. The two things the group wanted to do: Soarin’ and Mission Space.

Looking back- I think we made the wrong choice.

P1100859.jpg

We ended up in an hour long line for Soarin’ at 8:50. If I had thought about it, we could have gone to Mission Space, maybe seen some of Illuminations and then it would be EMH and only resort guests would still be in the park. Since we were in the Soarin line before closing time, all guests, resort and offsite, were part of the crowd.

Whatever!

The games screens were on in the queue line, but I had trouble figuring out what the kids were supposed to be doing.

While in line, a mom and her daughters struck up a conversation with members of our group. She was curious about our class trip, how it worked and she was intrigued that we came from so far away.

While we were in line, I looked down and I saw a cockroach scurrying across the floor. I’m not really the squeamish type, so I ignored it and let it continue on its way. A few minutes later, I heard some commotion behind me. I believe the roach had appeared near the mom and one of our boys “took care of it” for her.

For the rest of the time we were in the main line, she kept up a conversation with us. When it came to the point where you give the number of people in your party, and we said “Twenty”, her group was sent off in another direction. She seemed disappointed that she wouldn’t be riding with her new-found friends and exterminators.

So we are now in the loading line, where you get directed to the different take-off terminals. The line CM came through looking for one rider. A couple of our boys raised their hands, and I jokingly said “Pick me”

Well, one of the boys (not mine) said “Yeah, take her!”

Apparently, I have been too chaperone-y for some of our group.

The line CM must have felt really badly about the comment, because he started flirting with me, saying things like he would be glad to take me away from this group anytime.

At this point, I would like to send out a special shoutout to Feckless and her trip report, especially the part where she wrote about bringing a golf ball onto Soarin’ and instructing the kids to try and “catch” the golf ball during the movie. What a great idea! So I packed a golf ball for the trip and had it in my pocket. I tried to hand it over to Nate when we were being seated but he wanted nothing to do with it.

I handed it to another boy.

He played the part brilliantly! After the ride, he held up the golf ball and said

“Look, I caught the golf ball!”

And just for a second, one boy said “How did you do that???”

Which then turned into “Where did the golf ball come from?” and “Nate’s mom brought a golf ball to EPCOT?” :dance3:

Everyone was blown away by the ride on Soarin’

And as we were leaving The Land, I heard one boy exclaim

LOVE this story :) Chaperone-y...I am guilty of that. I chaperoned a museum trip for my oldest, I overheard a kid whisper to my son "Your mom is banging, but she is really annoying" Stress the really. I was happy to be called banging, after I asked what it meant LOL. Don't worry I didn't ask my son or his friend ;) Yay for a flirty CM, because I am sure at that point you probably did want to go on as a single rider. :)

Dee - Hi! Advantages of insomnia - catching up on trip reports!

Totally agree, monorail is totally a ride. One of my favorites actually. You really got some great pictures of the ride into Epcot.

I do know a nut or two that would bring a golf ball into Epcot for Soarin. Love those nuts. They are my people.

Ah...Your salad, is sad news.

That's a cool idea!!! But then again, I can definitely see how giving a teenage kid a golf ball on Soarin could also be the biggest chaperone mistake you've ever made!!! :rotfl2::rotfl::lmao:

Really good point!!! :scared1:

::yes:: I love taking the monorail into EPCOT!

When we are not in a rush, this is the way we return to the Beach Club after a day at MK.

Tombstones. I don't care what anybody else says. Nothing like entering a park to a morbid display of tombstones. :rolleyes1

Yeah, I'm not sure they really add to the ambience of the entrance to EPCOT.

Oh yuck...

I feel his pain. There are very few attractions I'd ever wait over 40 minutes for and only in extreme circumstances. Like, you know, RnRC.

I mean, I like Soarin' but I've just never been that blown away by it. FP or 20 minutes is about my max.

A 70 minute wait, when we have been on the go since 8 that morning and without having stopped for dinner was not the best move.

:sad2:

Well, I'm glad it was at least good. And I can't say that I've ever dreamt about any salad. Nightmares, maybe...

I end up paying tribute to the loss of the salad during the August DISmeet trip.

Cool! A nearly impossible photo to get, but if you could have got that picture...

Yeah, lightning pictures are tough...

:goodvibes:

I had actually never heard of the golf ball on Soarin' thing ... that's pretty cool. Sorry that you didn't get to do it, but now you know for next trip to always have golf balls on you, even if you're not planning to go to Epcot!
And I think your best bet for golf balls at Epcot would have been Mouse Gear, but I'm not sure they have them. I know World of Disney in Downtown Disney/Disney Springs sometimes has them, but I don't know that I've definitely seen them in a park.

Great pictures from the monorail! That's definitely something I want to do when I get a chance ... the view of Epcot from the monorail looks amazing!

We've only done Soarin' with FP. That line is a killer. I really hope the third theater helps with that!

Bummer about the salad and LTWL. And then Illuminations being delayed ... it's like you just couldn't catch a break. Oh well, hopefully the next day brought better weather and more fun!

Would you pull the golf ball trick on your sister? I am so disappointed because it was the perfect audience! I saw golf balls for sale during my August trip- I think in the Yacht Club gift shop.

If you find yourself travelling from MK to EP, you get that view of EPCOT that makes my toes tingle!

FP is definitely the way to go on Soarin! Looking back, there were quite a few things that didn't work out that night.

;)

LOVE this story :) Chaperone-y...I am guilty of that. I chaperoned a museum trip for my oldest, I overheard a kid whisper to my son "Your mom is banging, but she is really annoying" Stress the really. I was happy to be called banging, after I asked what it meant LOL. Don't worry I didn't ask my son or his friend ;) Yay for a flirty CM, because I am sure at that point you probably did want to go on as a single rider. :)

Nate has never been too thrilled with my involvement in the schools, particularly when it involves his friends. Ben does not seem to mind as much and I know his friends a lot better.

I'm not familiar with the adjective banging, but if it means cool, or attractive in a "Stacey's Mom has got it going on" sort of way, I'm sure he's right!

:goodvibes:

Dee - Hi! Advantages of insomnia - catching up on trip reports!

Totally agree, monorail is totally a ride. One of my favorites actually. You really got some great pictures of the ride into Epcot.

I do know a nut or two that would bring a golf ball into Epcot for Soarin. Love those nuts. They are my people.

Ah...Your salad, is sad news.

Sorry about the insomnia thing! I understand! ::yes:: :cool2:

They are your people! :rotfl2:

Thank you for your understanding and help as I mourned the salad!

Spaceship Earth; the surprise favourite of many! I bet those boys enjoyed it. ;)
I'm not squeamish about bugs at all, in fact I rescue spiders all the time... but we don't have cockroaches here and in the rare occasions that I see them in Florida I have a hard time not squealing like a little piglet. Those things are nasty!
Love that you pulled off the golf ball trick, that's so funny.
"All I got was a cockroach!" Hahaha!

I don't think she'd find it funny, but it's definitely something good to know for if I ever go back with my parents. My dad would love it.

My husband is the same- he would not be amused. Not sure who I may pull it on in the future, if Soarin' remains the same. I'm confused about what will happen when they introduce Soarin' Over the World.

:scratchin

Spaceship Earth; the surprise favourite of many! I bet those boys enjoyed it. ;)
I'm not squeamish about bugs at all, in fact I rescue spiders all the time... but we don't have cockroaches here and in the rare occasions that I see them in Florida I have a hard time not squealing like a little piglet. Those things are nasty!
Love that you pulled off the golf ball trick, that's so funny.
"All I got was a cockroach!" Hahaha!

Build your future is perfect for teen boys. I think they had fun with it.

I don't mind creepy crawlies either- snakes don't bother me and I rescue spiders as well- but yeah, cockroaches are a bit icky.

It was good to do golf ball trick with Nate's class, but really wish I could have pulled off the golf ball trick with Ben's friends. 4 of the boys in the group are talented actors and there is at least one boy in particular who would have been taken by the prank, I think.

I cracked up when I overheard the boy make that comment!

Behind the Seas at EPCOT

Wednesday morning the boys were scheduled for the Careers in Marine Biology Y.E.S. program at EPCOT.

Here is the description of the program:

Exploring Careers in the Marine Sciences | Disney Youth Education Series

Meet our marine biology professionals for a discussion on various marine careers and the education and experience it takes to succeed, in the field.

Program Overview

"Make a splash" and investigate five fascinating career tracks during this 3-hour program. Discover how Disney scientists maintain the environment and inhabitants of the nearly 6 million gallon aquarium at the center of The Seas with Nemo & Friends, which is accredited by the Association of Zoos and Aquariums. Students in grades 7-12 will learn the education and training required for a marine science profession, understand the responsibilities of studying and caring for aquatic animals and how they can play a role in oceanic conservation.
Key Learning Points

During this interactive field study, students will:

• Get an inside look at the diverse careers necessary to provide excellence in marine animal care and develop a feel for the day-to-day duties associated with those careers.
  • Understand the educational background and experience needed to be successful in the careers of marine mammal trainer, marine researcher, water scientist, aquarist and veterinarian.
  • Learn about the different research projects currently taking place at The Seas with Nemo & Friends and how research helps manage and protect marine species.
  • Understand the role chemistry plays in marine life management and water quality.
  • Explore some of the new, high-tech methods used to care for marine life.
  • Become inspired to practice conservation in their own communities and consider a career in marine sciences.

The Seas with Nemo & Friends at Epcot® is accredited by the Association of Zoos and Aquariums and the Alliance of Marine Mammal Parks and Aquariums.

Ben and I were both really looking forward to this- we love the oceans and sea creatures and we have been involved in many marine programs in our area since he was little. I honestly think shark was one of Ben’s first words. In preparation for this class, he purchased a book from Amazon, “A Short Introduction to Marine Biology”

The groups going to the Y.E.S. classes had private coach buses so we didn’t take up all the room on the resort buses. We had to meet at 8 am, following the ala carte breakfast set up outside in the hallways.

We arrived at EPCOT, went through bag check/park entry and met up with our Disney guide.

DSCF6972.jpg

She gave instructions about the morning, told us we would be putting our belongings in a locked chest and handed out headsets so she could communicate with us during the class.

As always, no pictures were permitted in the backstage area.

The first part of our program was about animal care. We went into a classroom where the instructor discussed what it is like to care for all of the fish/animals in The Seas Aquarium. Then the students were divided into 3 groups and they were given a medical case history of an animal to diagnose.

DSCF6987%202.jpg

This was a really cool activity, and since this did not take place backstage, I could take photos!!!

They were able to ask for all sorts of things to help them figure out the problems: X-rays, lab work, feeding reports, fecal samples, temperature and other vital statistics. They were able to pose questions to the instructor. Then the students had to present to the rest of the group, telling what they determined and how they came to their conclusions.

WP_20150610_017.jpg

DSCF7004.jpg

DSCF7005.jpg

DSCF6997.jpg

DSCF6994%202.jpg

WP_20150610_009%202_1.jpg

DSCF7001%202.jpg

Here is Ben presenting about their turtle that was sick and not eating because it had ingested a plastic bag.

DSCF7011%202.jpg

The other groups had a dolphin suffering from pneumonia and a manatee affected by red tide.

After this part of the program, we spend some time backstage.

We went to the dolphin tank where the instructor told us about the dolphins housed at EPCOT and told us about the research being done, like studies on communication. We were given brief biographies of the two dolphins we could see. One was Ramone and I can’t remember the other dolphin’s name. I tried to look up the names on the internet, but I was not able to find them.

WP_20150610_003%202_1.jpg

From the main aquarium observation area

We also were introduced to the two manatees. Lil Joe and again, I am blanking on the name of the second manatee. EPCOT is a secondary care facility which is overseen by the US Fish & Wildlife Service. Their purpose is to rehabilitate and then release rescued animals who are not ready to live on their own in the wild or may never be able to be released.

That appears to be the case with Lil Joe. He has been released many times from different aquatic facilities but has ended up being continually rescued because he has been malnourished. His caretakers fear that he can’t make it on his own in the wild due to the lack of survival skills.

So he will probably continue to live at EPCOT, where he and his tank mate will each be fed around 100 pounds of lettuce every day!

We weren’t able to take pictures while backstage, but here are some from the viewing aquariums.

WP_20150610_052.jpg

WP_20150610_057.jpg

WP_20150610_060.jpg

WP_20150610_062.jpg

WP_20150610_065.jpg

WP_20150610_067.jpg

Manatee poop!

DSCF6975.jpg

Continued in Next Post

Last edited:
Continued from Previous Post

We spent some time looking at the main aquarium and other tanks while waiting for the next Turtle Talk with Crush show, which was part of the class.

DSCF7016.jpg

DSCF7017.jpg

WP_20150610_019.jpg

WP_20150610_020.jpg

WP_20150610_021.jpg

WP_20150610_026.jpg

WP_20150610_030.jpg

WP_20150610_046.jpg

WP_20150610_050.jpg

WP_20150610_051.jpg

I think these sea jelly tanks were inside the waiting area for the Turtle Talk Show

DSCF7025.jpg

I love these lights!

DSCF7033.jpg

I had never seen the show before, so I appreciated the opportunity to do this. Our group was seated in the very back and although one of our students had his hand raised to ask a question, Crush elected to interact with younger dudes and dudettes.

DSCF7034.jpg

DSCF7036.jpg

We went outside for a bit and visited the water/salination tanks and we saw the winches used to lift large animals into the building. There were some quarantine tanks outside as well.

Inside, we were backstage in the areas where the food was prepared for the critters. There was a board listing who was getting what and we were told that the animals got some pretty high quality food. We also talked to a chemist (Nick) who was responsible for keeping the conditions in the tanks at the proper salt, temperature and pH levels.

The last part of our class was some time at the top of the tank. While we were there, we heard a splash and our instructor turned around excitedly. One of the eagle rays had jumped out of the water. The teacher told us this was very unusual and she had never seen it happen in the 11 years she worked there. Ben saw this happen and said it was one of his favorite parts of the morning.

When the class was over, we regrouped with the 3 chaperones who did not go to the class and we proceeded to lunch, a place that was new to me.

DSCF7039%202.jpg

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter