Travels With Teens: Take Two “I Can Organize This Trip in My Sleep!”BC Dee in DC Roti & Fini p. 40

As far as I know the band only does disney, it's not a marching band but a orchestra band. All students can do the camp trip but the Band and French trips are limited to students in those classes.

:welcome:

So is it a trip to Disney? What month? Is that the All Star Sports trip in your ticker?

Flying or driving? I'll definitely have some tips- especially about some of the safety features and the food.

::yes::

It is a trip to Disney in May of 2016 for the Sun and Surf Baseball Bash at ESPN WOWS. That is the All Star Sports Resort trip in my ticker. Our trip will be different in many ways as we have an 8U Baseball team coming so all kids will have their parents so any chaperoning I have to do will really be minor. Each family will get their separately my family will probably fly but I think most will drive. I will be doing the Memory Maker for the Group (so looking forward to more info on that) and I will be the contact for the Sports Reservations. I am also looking forward to the food tips!!!!:banana: I will be attempting to put responsibility on all the parents though for making their own adrs and fastpasses. I think we will probably give them a list of our plans and then they can do whatever they want. Would like to have one meal all together that we will pay for with fund-raised money we are leaning towards trails end.

Don't get me started on Memory Maker!!! I spent yesterday dealing with issues, adding on lost pictures, because some of the chaperones did not listen to my instructions.

I purchased the MM on my own and encouraged sharing by the groups. I only linked the lead of each of the 13 walking groups to my MDE account, so I instructed them to use only the lead's card (park ticket) to add ride photos or park photos or to get a card from a park photographer and I would add the numbers after the trip

1) One guy in a group (who was not the lead) added all of their pictures- over 100- to his Magic Band. Yes, we had Magic Bands, but since they were only for getting into our rooms, they were not attached to any MDE accounts, so the pictures were not going anywhere. I called MM support yesterday with the band number and they were able to add the pictures.

2) One group, with 14 people, just added the pictures with random cards from the group, not the lead. So I had to call MM support with 14 ticket numbers to see which accounts had tickets. 11 of the 14 people in the group had used their cards to for pictures.

3) One of the park photographers wouldn't give them a card and insisted that all they needed to do was add the picture to their Magic Band.

:sad2:

The MB is on my personal account and I am not going to give anyone access. I may invite others over if they want some input into borders, but I will probably be doing all the work when that time comes.

:scared1:

I will go into depth about the classes in the report. I am very jealous about the Space Mountain one! The only two years our school did not do this program was when my kids were there. The MK one is ok, going backstage at HM is cool, but very brief. And the attractions you experience are HM, Philharmagic and STITCH!!! Not the most interesting for middle schoolers.

:(

Holy cow, what a mess with the MM. I'd want to stab them all with pencils. Somehow, I suspect the kids would have followed the directions better than the adults did.

I might have to scratch that class off the list. Amara still complains about how bad Stitch was. I think she was four the one time she rode it. We had a child swap pass and my husband said to not bother. There's always chemistry at Epcot, right?

ETA: I was chatting with my husband about what classes to try. I said Liam would be old enough for the Physics 101. He called taking him on that one. Because Teagan refused to ride SM, he had to stay with her. Apparently he hasn't gotten over that. I said that was fine. Because he'd have to stay with Aria and Liam while I took the girls to whatever class they take. I'm trying to find something that covers both ages, and it's not easy to find something they'll both love.

Last edited:
As far as I know the band only does disney, it's not a marching band but a orchestra band. All students can do the camp trip but the Band and French trips are limited to students in those classes.

Sounds like some great options for the students.

:thumbsup2

It is a trip to Disney in May of 2016 for the Sun and Surf Baseball Bash at ESPN WOWS. That is the All Star Sports Resort trip in my ticker. Our trip will be different in many ways as we have an 8U Baseball team coming so all kids will have their parents so any chaperoning I have to do will really be minor. Each family will get their separately my family will probably fly but I think most will drive. I will be doing the Memory Maker for the Group (so looking forward to more info on that) and I will be the contact for the Sports Reservations. I am also looking forward to the food tips!!!!:banana: I will be attempting to put responsibility on all the parents though for making their own adrs and fastpasses. I think we will probably give them a list of our plans and then they can do whatever they want. Would like to have one meal all together that we will pay for with fund-raised money we are leaning towards trails end.

I'll try to help as much as I can.

Do you know if you will be using Magic Bands for park entry and Fast Passes, or just for room entry like for out trip? Our Disney group rep discouraged us from trying to make Fast Pass selections for the group in advance because it would be a lot of work, but we were willing to do it.

Will you be on any dining plans or getting any meal vouchers?

For our Memory Maker, I pre-purchased an account and connected it to my family MDE account. I friended each of the 13 leads for the walking groups as well as a previous account of mine from a solo trip that had a Magic Band. I used the actual Memory Maker card that came when I preordered it to add the ride photos and my Magic Band also worked to capture the videos at Mine Train and Tower of Terror.

:goodvibes

Holy cow, what a mess with the MM. I'd want to stab them all with pencils. Somehow, I suspect the kids would have followed the directions better than the adults did.

I might have to scratch that class off the list. Amara still complains about how bad Stitch was. I think she was four the one time she rode it. We had a child swap pass and my husband said to not bother. There's always chemistry at Epcot, right?

ETA: I was chatting with my husband about what classes to try. I said Liam would be old enough for the Physics 101. He called taking him on that one. Because Teagan refused to ride SM, he had to stay with her. Apparently he hasn't gotten over that. I said that was fine. Because he'd have to stay with Aria and Liam while I took the girls to whatever class they take. I'm trying to find something that covers both ages, and it's not easy to find something they'll both love.

It is going to be awhile before I do much with the Memory Maker account because I am also sharing the account with a dear friend who will have her daughter and granddaughter visiting her in Florida in July, so the timing of our downloads needs to be very precise.

Yes, I would discourage the Energy and Waves class. The short amount of excitement (backstage at HM) does not make up for the disaster that is Stitch.

Would the Marine Biology class we took interest the kids or do you need to hear more about it? What are the age range for the classes?

:fish:

The band at our middle school goes every other year so my daughter will go March 2017. I'm deciding if I will want to chaperone or take my other child and have mommy and me days and then stay longer. I'll have to see how your trip went!

Don't get me started on Memory Maker!!! I spent yesterday dealing with issues, adding on lost pictures, because some of the chaperones did not listen to my instructions.
!SNIP!
The MB is on my personal account and I am not going to give anyone access. I may invite others over if they want some input into borders, but I will probably be doing all the work when that time comes.

:scared1:

Heh, heh, heh... I just spent a year photographing the Crew team at my son's high School. Out of thousands of images 512 made the cut where I had to process them for color/clarity/contrast, blah, blah, blah... THEN I made a movie of some of the images, added sound to it and then put all this on custom logo flash drives I purchased for the kids. It took me half a day just to load a flash drive for each of the kids. I was up for 2 days straight finishing up this project. Then my favorite part was chasing the kids for 3 days trying to distribute the drives. I am glad that it's summer vacation and I can take a break from the Crew team! Needless to say they liked it and the girls are no longer afraid of my camera. I think I like that the best!

~NM

The band at our middle school goes every other year so my daughter will go March 2017. I'm deciding if I will want to chaperone or take my other child and have mommy and me days and then stay longer. I'll have to see how your trip went!

I can see where it could be a tough choice to make. For me, it was a clear decision. I chaperone as many of my kid's field trips as I can. My participation in the planning of my older son's trip and to a larger extent, this one, ensured that I would be there. My friend and I tend to be more "chaperoney" than some- parents have trusted the school and us with the safety of their children, so although the kids are "14 and should be able to handle themselves", we tended to be on the protective side.

If you choose to chaperone, you have to put the idea that this is a family trip where you will be doing everything you want to do out of your head. It can be tough for people to remember that the trip is about the kids and what is best for the group.

:goodvibes:

Heh, heh, heh... I just spent a year photographing the Crew team at my son's high School. Out of thousands of images 512 made the cut where I had to process them for color/clarity/contrast, blah, blah, blah... THEN I made a movie of some of the images, added sound to it and then put all this on custom logo flash drives I purchased for the kids. It took me half a day just to load a flash drive for each of the kids. I was up for 2 days straight finishing up this project. Then my favorite part was chasing the kids for 3 days trying to distribute the drives. I am glad that it's summer vacation and I can take a break from the Crew team! Needless to say they liked it and the girls are no longer afraid of my camera. I think I like that the best!

~NM

Sounds familiar!

I made CDs from the Photopass pictures from Nate's trip but I think I only ended up distributing a half-dozen. This time, I will be able to send email links of the pictures, so the distribution part will be easier.

One of the great things about this trip is that I was not the picture-Nazi! Others in our group suggested taking pictures frequently of the group (for our benefit and to send to the other kids' parents) and everyone was helpful about stopping to collect for ride photos.

::yes::

ETA- I have to admit, I got nervous when I saw you posting to my report this morning. I had (understandably) assumed you were impatient with the pace of my report and had posted your imagined version of events. Especially troubling since I have an update, including the trip report title reveal, in the hopper.

Here it comes...

Getting there is half the fun. Wait. No it isn’t!

The biggest differences between the 2012 trip with Nate were my roommate and the other chaperones in my walking group.

On the previous trip, the first time I met my roommate was in our room at All Star Movies. There were 5 other chaperones in my walking group, one who was the father of one of Nate’s friends, but again, the rest I had not met before the trip.

This year, I hit the roommate jackpot- I would be sharing space with one of my best friends, L. We have known each other since she moved here and got involved with the PTA. We are both officers in the middle school parents group- I have been the President for several years, L. is the Secretary. We are integral parts of our theatre company (she is an AWESOME house manager!). We work together in the middle school drama department. I will help her in the next few years with the Graduation Celebration Committee. We have very similar work ethics, mindsets and we both admire one another.

Dee and L copy (2).jpg

She would also be one of the chaperones in my walking group. Joining us would be S., the Treasurer for the middle school parents group. All three of us will be moving on this year as our youngest children prepare to enter high school. We had 2 guys who were also chaperoning with us. C, the father of one of Ben’s friends, and J. who I had only met previously on a couple of field trips. They are both very laid back and were great members of our team.

This group also put me in the driver’s seat for this trip, for the most part, allowing me to suggest a plan of action for touring the parks. I was totally cool with that.

The class had two flights scheduled to/from Orlando. I was told that the school does it that way so that if one of the plane crashes they don’t have to lay off all of the 9th grade teachers. That was a joke. I think!

The girls were flying down first and had to be at the school at 5:30 am on Monday. They would have a pretty full day at the resort and pool. The boys were meeting at 11:30 for a 3 pm flight that would get us into Orlando around 6 pm. I was pretty jealous of the girls for getting extra time in Florida on Monday, until it occurred to me that due to the girls’ very early return flight on Friday, they probably needed to turn in early and the boys actually could manage more late night Disney fun on our final night. I’ll take that!

I didn’t want to leave a car at the school all week, so I asked L. if her husband could pick up Ben and me. J. was my partner in crime, the Pumba to my Timon, when we performed “Hakuna Matata” in front of 600 plus people in February. I’m still working on getting the video posted and will let you all know when (if) that happens.

Hakuna1.JPG

We met in our groups at the school. There were 7 boy groups- the smallest was Group Three, 5 boys/chaperones. Our group, Seven, had 12 boys and 5 chaperones. 3 pairs of our boys had the same names.

The boys had to turn in their luggage to the school on the Wednesday before our flight. They would not be checking bags, so it had to be carryon size. The school inspected the luggage for contraband (no cell phones or internet-accessible devices were permitted for the students), liquids or other things that might present a problem at security. We had to check the carryon personal items (backpacks, stringbags) that the boys had that morning.

Chaperones could check their luggage.

DSCF6461.JPG

One of the kids in our group was the last one to arrive at the school- he was 10 minutes late. Upon his arrival, we had a brief description of what would happen when we arrived at the airport. We boarded the buses and we were off!

Here is the link to the airport chapter(s) from Nate’s 2012 trip, which included a several-hour flight delay and a visit to our group by airport medical personnel:

We havent even left the airport and the EMTs show up

P1100387-1.jpg

Was there similar drama at the airport on this year’s trip?

Not really. The biggest excitement was when one of our chaperones, S. opened her bottle of Coke and it sprayed all over her and the seats. Other than that, we boarded our flight on time, I was able to switch seats with one of our chaperones so L. and I could sit together and we had a smooth flight.

Obligatory pictures from the plane photos:

DSCF6483.JPG

DSCF6486.JPG

Arrival in Orlando:

5:39 Landed

Although the boys didn’t check luggage, some of the chaperones did, so we had to go to bag-check at Terminal A. On to the Faux-No-Rail! Then we needed to go to Terminal B to wait for the Magical Express.

DSCF7809.JPG

6:23 Terminal B

And wait we did! It was about an hour from our arrival in Terminal B until our bus arrived.

DSCF6499.JPG DSCF6500.JPG

I didn’t even have a personal sign waiting to welcome me this trip either:

From "What Happens at the Beach Club" Is this an airport or a morgue? And who is taunting me at Magical Express? (With friends like these...):sad2:

"Ha! Ha! Dee- We beat you to the Beach Club!!! Love, NinjaMom and JanetMom"

My "“friend"” had posted two of these in the Magical Express line. One on the first rope line sign and one on the wall by the monitor.

********************************************************************************************

The boys were a bit antsy waiting in line corrals and I think one of the group was anxious to get to the resort to watch a soccer game.

7:17 Magical Express

We finally boarded the bus along with some other guests who were staying at Art of Animation and POP Century, where we would be stopping first. No fair! There’s a lot more of us going to All Star Movies.

It was not a regular Magical Express bus and the driver informed us that there would be no movie for our journey. That’s ok. The new movie sucks AND gives away the “Secret of Beverly”

The front seats had the “Reserved signs”. One of the teachers running the trip took a front seat and at one point I got up and joined him.

Gotta get the arch picture!

WP_20150608_008.jpg

WP_20150608_010.jpg

Continued in Next Post

Last edited:
Continued from Previous Post

8:01 Arrived at Movies

WP_20150608_014.jpg

DSCF6512.JPG

We didn’t check in at the desk, we went directly to the Love Bug section where the school principal was with our Magic Bands, room assignments and our packet of park tickets and meal vouchers.

We discussed how the classes would work the next couple of days, and how many chaperones could attend each.

Then it was time for pizza and some of the boys had a little pool time.

pizza party.jpg

I was relieved to see that the All Star resorts offer phone books to their valued guests. Perhaps the Beach Club should take a page from their book!

WP_20150608_020.jpg

Everyone retired to their rooms around 10 pm. One of the security measures the school uses is to place stringed magnets across the students’ doors so that if they open the door, the chaperones/security guards will know it.

DSCF7496.JPG

DSCF7495.JPG

After corralling our students into their rooms, it was time for us to go back to our accommodations to prepare for the next day. We both put away our clothes, took out our toiletries and I set up the coffee maker I brought (since the All Stars don’t provide these in the rooms) so it would be ready to go the next morning.

My whole life I have been plagued by sleep issues so when I am on vacation I take a sleeping pill before retiring. I had just filled a new prescription. Shortly after taking the pill, I felt dizzy. That had never happened before, but I was tired from our travel day and I was at about DEF-CON 3 for a stress level (not bad). We had successfully arrived in Orlando, but I was nervous about the 450 Fast Passes I had booked for the group.

I still had a couple of things to do before morning. Each of Y.E.S. classes required 12 (and only 12) chaperones- for the boys- so not everyone could go to both classes. I had checked who wanted to go on each day and wanted to write it out for the teachers. I had my travel day notes to compose. I had emails, Facebook and the DIS to catch up on. I settled into bed with my trip notes, planning folder and phone.

That is the last thing I remember, so now the account is what L told me the next morning. L. was chastised by the other chaperones (my “friends”) for not taking photos or video, so we recreated some poses the following night.

Dee fell asleep sitting up, holding her phone. Eventually, her head slumped forward to the foot of the bed, and she was lying on the mattress amidst the paperwork strewn around her. She was holding a pen.

DSCF7372.JPG

I cleared away the papers from the bed. I tried to take the pen out of her hand, but she wouldn’t let go.

Then Dee started pointing and demanding her things back- “I need THAT green notebook. And my Mickey folder”

I didn’t know what to do, so I gave the things back to her.

Then she waved her hand over the papers and declared “These letters are all woozy”

DSCF7375.JPG

When I asked her about it the next morning, Dee didn’t remember any of this, but she proudly bragged

“I Can Organize This Trip in My Sleep!”

Next Up: Day 1: All About All Star Movies, Breakfast, Solo at the MK, FP for 3 Mountains and EPCOT

Last edited:
Ninja Mom's Account of my Nighttime Story

Had a decent day yesterday. At parks all day. We are limited to the number of chaperones who can go to classes so I was solo at MK. Mine train, Peter pan with new line, Dumbo and little mermaid (first time for both), lunch at chh, space, splash, big thunder, small world, ice cream, tta, buzz. Then mono to EP. Just time for soarin and supper. Illuminations delayed so we left. Today I go to class at Epcot. Hs later.

I have a nighttime story that almost rivals the midnight fire drill.

Ta ta. Time to make the breakfast!

Ninja Mom's Response:

Since Dee is too busy to tell us her new nightmare story I guess I will just have to use my imagination and fill in the details! Note: Dee is not soooo busy that she hasn't got the time to TEASE!

So anyway it was late at night when Dee returned to the room. When she first checked in she was crushed to discover that her room request to have Johnny Depp waiting for her in the room did not pan out. In the face of this crushing disappointment she soldiered on. She got up early the next day and toured the parks, unencumbered by her middle school minions. Her time with them would come later.... Mwa Ha Ha!!!

Riding the last parks bus back to the resort that night she walked slowly back to her room. As she got closer she heard some strange noises. As she turned the corner she saw what appeared to be a private pool party. She could see that a flock of Chip~n~Dale male dancers was waving her over. Torn, she thought about those poor children that she would have to shepherd all over the parks the next day. As she was no spring chicken she realized that she should probably get some rest, but those Chip~n~Dale male dancers were pretty hunky looking and she was fresh off the dissappoinment of not have her Johnny Depp room request met. Slowly the Devil side of her brain convinced her that she could still join the pool party, if only for a couple of hours, after all... this was a Disney trip and you can sleep when you're DEAD!

As she got closer to the edge of the Pool a Cast Member ran over and scanned her magic band. The machine made an awful sound and it was apparent that Dee was not cleared for this Chip~n~Dale pool party! Sternly the CM said "Shouldn't you be Mothering those Middle School Minions of yours! and "We have it on file that you are a MARRIED WOMAN! What do you think that you are doing at a Chip~n~Dale Pool party! You just turn right around and get back in your bed and leave these poor hunky weight lifting guys alone! The NERVE of you!!!"

Sadly Dee trudged off, dejectedly returning to her lonely, Johnny Depp-less room. And, as she was contemplating this tragic twist of fate, she decided that this indeed was way worse that the Midnight Fire Drill meet up from the BC trip last August. She slowly fell asleep on her tear stained pillow dreaming of a day when Johnny Depp AND the Chip~n~Dales would entertain her at Stormalong Bay, bringing her Sunken Treasures until her head spun.

The End.

So how close did I get Dee???

~NM

Last edited:
Dee, I am truly impressed at your dedication to the group. You clearly went above and beyond what I would have done (which is crash for the night and figure things out in the morning before the teachers got up). Great night-time story. You did not disappoint!
Katesdad

Great start in the report. Lucky you to have such a good friend as your roommate this time around and she could reenact the events of the evening. You really were organizing in your sleep, so, it was literal!

So glad to hear your flight was on time, boo on the long wait for DME and great job on sneaking in those front seats in the bus.

Loved the update!

I think pizza was invented by a school trip chaperon.

You truly were travelling with a good friend. Someone else might have come up with more devious things to report about you in the morning. And leaving the pen in your hand, rather than using to create artwork ON your hand is truly a good friend.

You may want to just take a half sleeping pill on future trips where you might need to keep one eye open on the lookout for ninja activity.

Awww Dee my heart breaks to see how exhausted you were, and I do agree that you CAN organize in your sleep! So...did anyone try to break free and open their doors??? I love the airport monorail it's the first feeling of Disney :) Impressive pile of pizza boxes!

I love airplane photo pictures, so thank you for the view of Boston!

Cute pic of the boys looking out the window.

Yay that you were roommates with your friend. Score on that! :thumbsup2

I forgot about your last ME experience where you had your own personal welcome in picture form. That was SO awesome! ::yes::

Score again on the front row ME seat. Gotta get that picture!

Whaaaaaaaat? Those boys ate ALL that pizza? :faint:

Oh No to the woozy sleeping pill and the pass out that followed. :rotfl2:

Yes, I would discourage the Energy and Waves class. The short amount of excitement (backstage at HM) does not make up for the disaster that is Stitch.

Would the Marine Biology class we took interest the kids or do you need to hear more about it? What are the age range for the classes?

:fish:

They might like that one. We did a marine conservation class a few years ago, but I think it skewed a bit young and the girls were a bit bored by the end of things. Ideally, I'd like a class both older girls can be in - they'll be 11 and 12 at the time. Looking at the offerings for this year, there are a few options. There's Everyday Chemistry at Epcot, Principals of Animal Behavior at Animal Kingdom, and Animation History at HS. The age range for a few seem odd to me - the animation class is listed twice, once for ages 9-17, which doesn't seem right to me. Maybe it's two separate classes?

I think we have a new photo to greet folks in the ME lines!

ETA- I have to admit, I got nervous when I saw you posting to my report this morning. I had (understandably) assumed you were impatient with the pace of my report and had posted your imagined version of events. Especially troubling since I have an update, including the trip report title reveal, in the hopper.

Here it comes...

Said in my Sith Lord voice: I have you well trained young padawan.... Heh, heh, heh.. cough, cough, cough...

~Ninja Sith

I'm in! I can't wait to see how your impressive planning panned out! :-)

(I also can't wait to see if you had another meal in "Dee's Corner"! ;) )

Your story about the first night of the trip had me laughing out loud. I have no doubt that you could plan something in your sleep! :laughing:

Loving the reason behind your trip report title and reconstructed photos of the evening but have to say my favorite photo is of the "leaning tower of pizza"

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter