Travelling with Baby

dkzm74

Earning My Ears
Hi, we'll be travelling from London Gatwick to Orlando with our 9 month baby in two months' time and I'd be grateful for any tips and advice please on travelling with a baby.

Also, what did you do about taking baby bottles and food through airport security and what are the allowances. I've looked on different forums and some people say that they could take boiled water through with the formula separately, and others say that you can only take through pre-made bottles. Slso whato people do about travelling through Orlando airport with baby milk?

Many thanks.

When we took our GD with us we took pre boiled water in some bottles, formula was kept seperate in different container. We also arranged for us to pick up cartons of formula at boots. My DD1 has to taste the water and formula going through security.

Thank you. I've just spoken to a member of staff at Virgin and they told me they won't allow boiled water through....so confusing! It obviously depends on the staff on the day! I was wondering if they don't allow water through what would you do about water for a drink from sippy cups?

Also, what did you do about coming home with baby milk at Orlando airport, do the same rules apply?

My experience was I could take as many bottles as I needed to last the flight (I took boiled water and formula seperatly) They did get me to try some of the water in the bottles. I think I took about 4 bottles.

On the way home I did exactly the same except they didnt get me to try the water, they tested them with some clever device so I didnt need to even open the bottle.

As the above poster said, if you are worried you can order some formula into the boots that is airside.
HTH!!

My experience was I could take as many bottles as I needed to last the flight (I took boiled water and formula seperatly) They did get me to try some of the water in the bottles. I think I took about 4 bottles.

On the way home I did exactly the same except they didnt get me to try the water, they tested them with some clever device so I didnt need to even open the bottle.

As the above poster said, if you are worried you can order some formula into the boots that is airside.
HTH!!

Thank you Babystar. Virgin also said that the bottle size can only be 100ml which I think is a load of rubbish because no baby bottle is exactly 100ml size as there has to be a gap at the top. Why do they make it so difficult to travel with a baby!! It's so difficult to find this information too. It's not very clear on Gatwick or Virgin website.

I know, it is so difficult to get a straight answer sometimes!

If all else fails....why not go to your Health Visitor and ask if your little one can use bottled water as a one off? This way if you take your formula, and they do take your boiled water away, you know that you will have a emergency back up as you can grab some bottled water at the airport, or they will have some onboard the aircraft.

Also just a bit of extra information - when you do arrive, the big supermarkets do something called Nursery water (or something along those lines) It is in huge bottles, and we used it for our DD!It was so handy to have around!

Also just a bit of extra information - when you do arrive, the big supermarkets do something called Nursery water (or something along those lines) It is in huge bottles, and we used it for our DD!It was so handy to have around!

Thank you so much, I keep hearing about this nursery water so I'll definitely look out for that. Wish they did something like that in our supermarkets.

We have travelled twice with lur twins and go to florida next month, we have never had any problems taking over 100ml of water/milk through, we just have to taste it all or some of it.

I also purchased premade milk in boots afterr security as well

I would also say try and get your baby to drink on take off and landing, ours suffer with their ears during this time so this helps

We used to make the milk up with bottled water both here, egypt and tenerife when trvelling wi the girls, bottled water is ok as long as its. Ot mineral water our health visitor said, they have also been drinking bottled from a young age as we bottled fed so needed the extra fluid

We have taken pre made baby milk on a flight to Orlando, however security made me open and drink a little from each container. We took the pre mixed stuff not the powder / water mix , we found it much more convenient on the flight.

When we travelled with DD as a baby we took drinks through for the plane and then she had bottled water while away. Didn't do her any harm and I didn't really think twice about it.

Never worried about formula as she was breastfed until weaned on to cows milk.

We took a couple of jars of food through and had to taste some of them and we had to taste her drinks in her cups.

For those that ordered formula at Boots airside. did you have to leave any unused cartons on board due to the not being able to bring meat/diary into the USA or were you ok to bring baby milk through.

For those that ordered formula at Boots airside. did you have to leave any unused cartons on board due to the not being able to bring meat/diary into the USA or were you ok to bring baby milk through.

Ooh good question, I'd like to know the definite answer to that one too. I've been told that Boots will put a seal on the milk (I'm guessing security tape of some sort) and as long as there are no signs of it being tampered with or opened then you can use it to come home with. That was what I was hoping anyway.

I've also been told that what ever you're carrying, security will make you taste 50% of it.....so if you're carrying four bottles of sterilised water then they'll ask you to taste two of them. I'm guessing the same applies coming home and if you have four cartons, they'll ask you to taste two of them which means they'll be open and and unusable!

They never put any seals on the last two times i have got some from there? Not sure about the usa but i have taken milk into other countrys that have been in their bottles,

we just took the powder and any of the restaurants airside will provide boiled water for you, but evian is allowed for babies so we just brought a few bottles in boots and did the same for the way home and made up the bottle on the plane as and when needed, we have also taken cooled boiled water from home and i had to taste some of it (dd was 6 months and having 5oz bottles so i made them to 9oz so that if i had to drink half then i would still have enough. Going to ireland the other month i wasnt allowed to take dds beaker of water through, it was a 9oz beaker that was full to the top and the guy said that i wasnt allowed to dispose of the water from the cup unless i drunk it :scared1: so i basically had to down 9oz of water or throw her beaker away!!!! so i think its who you see on the day but go prepared for a few different occurances. as for actually travelling with a baby is so much easier than travelling with a toddler :thumbsup2

They never put any seals on the last two times i have got some from there? Not sure about the usa but i have taken milk into other countrys that have been in their bottles,

I think you need to ask them in Boots if they can put a seal on the cartons. It was on The Dibb forum that someone suggested this.

we just took the powder and any of the restaurants airside will provide boiled water for you, but evian is allowed for babies so we just brought a few bottles in boots and did the same for the way home and made up the bottle on the plane as and when needed, we have also taken cooled boiled water from home and i had to taste some of it (dd was 6 months and having 5oz bottles so i made them to 9oz so that if i had to drink half then i would still have enough. Going to ireland the other month i wasnt allowed to take dds beaker of water through, it was a 9oz beaker that was full to the top and the guy said that i wasnt allowed to dispose of the water from the cup unless i drunk it :scared1: so i basically had to down 9oz of water or throw her beaker away!!!! so i think its who you see on the day but go prepared for a few different occurances. as for actually travelling with a baby is so much easier than travelling with a toddler :thumbsup2

Thank you so much for this information. Do you mean you poured the Evian straight into the bottles and also bought the bottles airside rather than bringing them from home? Did you use the same bottles coming home or bought some more from the US? Sorry for all the questions!!

I find it so annoying when I hear that they make some people throw away the water. I've recently found this website from DirectGov which basically says that you are allowed to carry through boiled water. I'm taking a copy with me just in case!

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/TravelAndTransport/Foreigntravel/AirTravel/DG_176922

You are allowed to take baby milk into America. I always write on my customs form that I have baby milk and food with no meat and they just say no problems! You can also take cups of juice for toddlers etc and will just be asked to taste them. I've always been able to get water on flights to make bottles and have also bought ready made airside. Travelling with a baby is good fun and you'll be fine x

You are allowed to take baby milk into America. I always write on my customs form that I have baby milk and food with no meat and they just say no problems! You can also take cups of juice for toddlers etc and will just be asked to taste them. I've always been able to get water on flights to make bottles and have also bought ready made airside. Travelling with a baby is good fun and you'll be fine x

Thank you so much for your advice. :thumbsup2

yes we brought the evian airside in boots and the powder from home and just made up the feed on the plane (we always added the powder to cooled boiled water at home and never had any probs).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter