Travellers cheques at Disney

cam&chris

Mouseketeer
Will they cash travellers cheques in the Magic Kingdom or the other Disney parks? I don't want to take all cash for obvious reasons and my bank card won't work in the States (I've tried in Buffalo when I've gone over for the day.) I plan on using my credit card for any larger purchase and meals but I want some cash each day for snacks and drinks.

I've never used them, but I've seen people do it without a problem. I'm assuming you're staying off-site. If you were staying at an on-site resort I'd suggest that you just tie your credit card to your park card (room card, park tickets) and do room charges that are all paid off on the CC when you're done.

When I do room charges I find that I can usually get by with about $50 in cash for the week - mostly for locker rentals.

In the past we have cashed travellers cheques at the Lobby Concierge desk of the WDW Resort we are staying at and have also used them making purchases or paying for meals in the parks.

I only ever visit Disneyland in California, but I can tell you that I have never had a problem cashing a traveller's cheque at any restaurant or store at DL. If I recall correctly, I was able to cash one or two at the HoJo's front desk and I believe I used them at Mimi's too (local restaurant).

Just a quick suggestion - our bank advised us that if we want to use our debit card in the U.S. we had to have a 4 digit pin on the card (we used to have a 6 digit pin).

If you have a 6 digit pin, you could try changing it.

In the past we have cashed travellers cheques at the Lobby Concierge desk of the WDW Resort we are staying at and have also used them making purchases or paying for meals in the parks.

We're staying off site. I was just looking to cash a cheque for snacks in the park or small purchases that I wouldn't put on a credit card.

Just a quick suggestion - our bank advised us that if we want to use our debit card in the U.S. we had to have a 4 digit pin on the card (we used to have a 6 digit pin).

If you have a 6 digit pin, you could try changing it.

I do have only a 4 digit pin and it still wouldn't work in the U.S. I guess I'll take some cash, some travellers cheques and my credit card and hope it all works out.

We're staying off site. I was just looking to cash a cheque for snacks in the park or small purchases that I wouldn't put on a credit card.
We have also cashed them at other hotels in Florida and across the United States, so I am sure that won't be a problem.

Just a note, if you do decide to bring Travellers Cheques, do take care to ensure that they are denominated in U.S. Dollars.

Walt Disney Parks and Resorts (Disneyland Resort/Walt Disney World Resort) is unable to cash or accept Travellers Cheques denominated in foreign currencies, including Canadian Dollars. Most off-site merchants will also refuse to do the same.

To add to Glendalais' comment-- You will only wind up paying to convert your travellers cheques from Canadian to US dollars in US currency (and will likely have to confine your currency transactions to a bank) if you purchase Canadian travellers cheques to take the the US.

I recall trying to use debit or interac at the cash register and they have never heard of these terms! The definitely could not use my debit card for a purchase. But I was able to use my card at a machine to withdraw US cash. I can also say I use travelers cheques just like cash. Have never been denied cashing it unless it's a cart in the park that doesn't carry a lot of cash. You may also need some ID.

I loved using traveller's cheques - I would cash exactly what I needed at the front desk and leave the rest in the room safe. If any go missing there is a number to call so you can cancel them and have new ones sent to you (and they are very quick about it - especially the American Express TC). I also like knowing exactly how much I have on me - whereas when you use credit cards and debit cards, there are fees and the variable exchange rate to consider. Also, I don't want to have to try to keep track of my accounts while on vacation (when the money is gone - it's gone) and I don't like coming home to more bills than when I left. Just my 2 cents:)
Have a great vacation!!:yay:

I'm slightly curious here... How much cash to you expect to need for snacks, drinks & small stuff for a vacation? Myself, I rarely need more than 300$ for 10 days if I use my credit card to pay for lodging & restaurants. That's quite a reasonable amount of money to carry with you at all times IMHO. Split with you DH/DW (or Dear anything else besides kids!), and it's even smaller. You wouldn't need to have Traveler's Cheques then.

Just back from a week in February, and I took $3k in travellers cheques. Had absoulutely no problem cashing and using them all over WDW, and Universal. Mine where in US dollars, and I just took what I wanted for the day and left the rest in the room safe. When one was cashed and I got the change, I used the change for my smaller incidentals/tips. It worked great!! I even came home with $600.00 uncashed and will be putting it back into my US account :goodvibes No worries, you will be fine traveling with Travellers Cheques!

Oh, the stories I could tell you about travelers cheques!

However, you might find it better to cash your TC at your resort's front desk. They have all your info right there. Sometimes shops and stands will ask you for id and I find it a little easier using cash.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter