Traveling with visually impaired son

dinanicj

Earning My Ears
Hi. I'm spending a week in Disneyworld next month with my visually impaired, 10 year old son. He is completely blind in one eye and very nearsighted in the other eye. He also has autism spectrum disorder, so I was going to get a guest assistance card. My question is, he needs to sit very up close to see shows (or anything at a distance)- will the GAC allow him to get up front seating / special seating? (The GAC lists several benefits but I haven't seen anything around visual impairment accommodations). I welcome any suggestions! Thanks for your help!

I think I have heard of being seated in the front before, but I am not 100% on this... hopefully someone else can provide information. I do know they have a hand held audio description device for some of the attractions. more information about that can be found: http://disneyworld.disney.go.com/plain-text/visual-disabilities/

Also, even with a GAC that asks for this type of accommodation, doesn't guarantee that it can be provided each and every time.

We were able to get that accomodation for my daughter last summer. Although her vision isn't quite as bad as your son's (She's 20/120 with her glasses on.) we knew she wouldn't get much out of the shows if she was so far back that she couldn't see them, and since we were also using a stroller as a wheelchair, we didn't want her seated in wheelchair seating at the back of the theatres. I can't remember what the stamp on the GAC looked like, but I know we had it, and we were able to get seated near the front for the shows we went to.

I've had luck just asking a CM, and they didn't ask for a GAC or anything. That's not to say they WON'T ask you for one, just that I didn't ever run into a CM that asked us for one.

When interacting with a character, make sure to let the character or the handler know that your child is visually impaired, they normally will take an extra few minutes to allow the child to feel the characteristics of the costume (especially the face) and will try to get as close as possible. As part of my Dreams Take Flight trip, we take a number of visually impaired kids, and the characters and handlers are always extra special to those that can't see well.

I am legally blind in one eye and have very bad vision in the other. I have gotten a GAC which gives me front row access to shows. Front row isn't always available but I can usually see okay in the second or third row. Some of this seems to depend on the theater. And the CM's always try to get me in the center which is not something that I ask for. I make sure to tell the very first CM I encounter what I need because with things like Muppets, Little Mermaid, Mickey's Philharmagic, they will direct you to the CM that will help you when you enter the theater. If there is a big crowd ahead of me, sometimes they will suggest that we wait for the next show if they don't think the front row will be available.
They may offer the hand held device as an alternative but it just doesn't work for me. The screen is too small and I can't see it well enough.

I definitely am going to have to look into this as well. Not so much front row, but the shows would have to be close enough for my daughter to see but also would have to be in her midline due to her neuromuscular ocular issues.

Thank you everybody for your suggestions! I really appreciate them, and I'm sure it will make the trip better and easier for my family, and especially for my son!

I definitely am going to have to look into this as well. Not so much front row, but the shows would have to be close enough for my daughter to see but also would have to be in her midline due to her neuromuscular ocular issues.

FYI, I never specified that I needed the front row, just told the CM I had visual difficulties and needed to be somewhat close. The stamp CM used stated front row. I just assumed that was the only stamp they had for visual disabilities pertaining to shows.
I was also given use of the wheelchair entrance but I only use it to avoid steps and very dark queue lines. Don't know if this is something that would help your DD or not.

I just wanted to say thanks for all the info supplied here! My DH is blind in one eye and has a little sight in the other. I usually end up taking DD11 to see shows on my own as he says there is no point ,for him, in going. But if a GAC could help him sit near the stage that would be great. It would just be nice if we could see a show together for once:)

Please be aware that other than Carousel of Progress and perhaps one or two others shows, there are no wheelchair spots in the front row. This means your daughter will have to sit in a regular seat, or perhaps on your lap.

I cannot turn my head very much (in fact, I am usually in a c-collar when upright), so I ask to be seated toward the middle of the theatre (I use a wheelchair) and usually there is no problem with this.

I am legally blind and tried the GAC on a recent visit. I didn't really find it to be an advantage, to be honest. I had better luck just approaching a CM and explaining the situation to them. If closer seating was available they would take me and my family to that spot. When we had the GAC we were just told that we had to get in line early and weren't offered much more than that. The GAC is definitely worth a try but I wouldn't rely solely on that to get closer seating.

I just came back from Disney last week and we were getting in line behind a family with a son who has Treacher Collins Syndrome and had strong prescription glasses. I had been talking to the family as they were staying at the same resort we were, (and I work with various children who have special needs). The mother didn't seem to have a card, (and I've not travelled with anyone to Disney with a disability, so I wasn't aware of them or I would have told her), but she was trying to figure out how to sit with him in the first row or two. I left the line to ask the CM at the entrance to Monster's Inc. to inquire. The CM was great and came to the mother and suggested that she wait for the next show, as there were many people in front of us who were about to push their way into the theatre. The CM moved them over to the side and said that another CM would meet up with them to help them to their seats. I assume all went well, we didn't see them again - but the CM's were very accomodating :goodvibes

This is good to know as my nephew who I'll be going with has eye problems due to being a preemie. My dd is going to be getting a GAC( due to Muscular dystrophy), and so will my nephew(due to preemie health issues though he is 6)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter