Traveling with teen/without spouse

chimo2u

DIS Veteran
Good Afternoon,

Has anyone had any experience travelling without the other parent present??? My 14 year old son and I are headed to WDW for a Mom and Son - only trip in August, and my husband and oldest son are staying at home.
Will we encounter problems travelling just the 2 of us? Is it imperative that i get a notarized letter stating that I can take him out of the country? We have the same last name and I never even thought that this could become an issue. I really would rather bypass the whole having to go see a lawyer/pay for a notarized letter if I can! One more expense I'd rather do without if at all possible. Thanks for any and all advise :goodvibes

I will be doing the same thing. Taking our two kids to DL minus DH. I've been advised to get a notarized letter - which we will do - don't need any hassles with Customs.

I have taken my son to US twice without my husband and both times had a notarized letter. I have never been asked to show it, but you just know they'd ask if you didn't have it;) It's $30.00 well spent.

I have taken my son to US twice without my husband and both times had a notarized letter. I have never been asked to show it, but you just know they'd ask if you didn't have it;) It's $30.00 well spent.

Do you think I could just have a letter with his permission to bring our son, signed by my husband, but NOT notarized?

My DH just got back from a Vegas trip with our 16 yr old and never had a problem. We never even considered needing a letter.

I have taken my 2 DD's (different last name) on 17 Disney trips and never once even had a letter.

Just took my DGS on a trip to Disney last Oct. with no letter either. No problem.

I took for ds13 & his friend last summer. Customs at the airport barely looked at the letter.
The parents signed and had someone witness it but not notarized.

I just flew this afternoon with a 15 year old (family friend) and no letter was required if 13 or over. Techncally he could of got on the plane with no id and just a boarding pass and no letter and no adult. We were flying domestic and once he hits 18 he then requires picture id....bizarre for sure.

We have taken our 6yr old grandson to WDW on 4 trips now and each time had a letter. This last trip in March we were asked for the letter at customs. The letter we had done at the lawyers is ongoing so we don't need to get one each time we travel.

I took my 15-year old daughter to WDW during March break without my husband. The $25 spent on the notarized letter was a good investment. I was never asked for it, but it provided peace of mind. I'd hate to ruin a vacation by not having my paperwork in order. :)

I took my 15-year old daughter to WDW during March break without my husband. The $25 spent on the notarized letter was a good investment. I was never asked for it, but it provided peace of mind. I'd hate to ruin a vacation by not having my paperwork in order. :)

I agree 100%..I have traveled without hubby twice and got a notarized letter both times...chances are slim you will be asked but I enjoy the peace of mind... what is $25-$30 compared to the cost of the entire trip?

I think of it as just another insurance policy, it is just like travel or medical insurance..you pay for it "in case" and hope you don't need it...

I guess better safe then sorry, but when my dds were teens, we never had a letter, and was never asked for one. ( my youngest is now 20). I think there's more of a chance traveling with young ones. But teens can speak for themselves, so maybe they aren't asking for letters so much for them? :confused3

Technically you do need to have the letter and it must be notarized. You can get it done at city hall and the fee is usually $25-$30. If you have a lawyer do it the fee will be around $45-$50.

Look on the government of Canada website for all the info and a sample letter. Sorry but I don't have the link anymore.

I took my 6 yr old last October and had the letter done at London City Hall.
It cost $30 and to be honest I don't think I was going to be asked for it but I offered it and the border guard said it was a very good letter. I was driving across and flying from Detroit. It was peace of mind for sure to have it.

I have travelled twice with my children, but without my husband. Last year customs did not bother to ask me for the letter. Last month the customs officer asked me for my letter and told me without it, she would not have let me on the plane. The letter was typed up and signed by my husband (I did not get it noterized by a lawyer - but that was the chance I took).
I would have something typed up, because you would not want to run into any problems that could delay your trip.

I'll tell you what I have done....I go over shopping all the time and take my 11yo. For a shopping trip I don't bother with the letter....if they won't let me in it's no big deal. When we are going on vacation I print a letter on DH's company letterhead. He sign's and so does one of his co-workers. I then attach both of their business cards to the letter.

When my DD was younger I always got the letter notarized. Now it really is a 50/50 based on what my schedule is like, meaning if I have time to go to city hall. I now feel like she is old enough to speak for herself too.

The very first time one of my kids was going away without us I went to our family lawyer to ask about getting this letter. There was a major mis-communication or else he didn't really know what I needed. They charged me $350. The document was about 8 pages long with notarized copies of her birth certificate, healthcard, passport, school report card and travel insurance. Boy that was a very expensive lesson. After the fact I found out that you can write the letter yourself and just have a notary stamp it. Anyway, I ended up with a great example to write all my future letters from. :rotfl2:

It sort of comes down to comfort level....are you willing to just go with a letter from the parents but not notarized and what will happen if you are stopped for not having the proper document???

It is not necessary nor has it ever been to have it notarized. You need a letter of permission from the parent(s). If the parents are also apart you need a letter of permission and the a copy of the custody papers. This was taken directly from the Canadian Govt. website

Travelling with Children
Parents who share custody of their children should carry copies of the legal custody documents. It is also recommended that they have a letter of authorization from the other custodial parent to take the child on a trip out of the country. Such a letter will confirm that the child is not being abducted or taken against his/her will. The parents’ full name, address and telephone number should be Included in the letter of authorization.

When travelling with a group of vehicles, parents or guardians should arrive at the border in the same vehicle as the children.

Adults who are not parents or guardians should have written permission from the parents or guardians to supervise the children. The permission letter should include addresses and telephone numbers where the parents or guardian can be reached.

CBSA officers watch for missing children, and may ask detailed questions about the children who are travelling with you.

It is not necessary nor has it ever been to have it notarized. You need a letter of permission from the parent(s). If the parents are also apart you need a letter of permission and the a copy of the custody papers. This was taken directly from the Canadian Govt. website

Travelling with Children
Parents who share custody of their children should carry copies of the legal custody documents. It is also recommended that they have a letter of authorization from the other custodial parent to take the child on a trip out of the country. Such a letter will confirm that the child is not being abducted or taken against his/her will. The parents’ full name, address and telephone number should be Included in the letter of authorization.

When travelling with a group of vehicles, parents or guardians should arrive at the border in the same vehicle as the children.

Adults who are not parents or guardians should have written permission from the parents or guardians to supervise the children. The permission letter should include addresses and telephone numbers where the parents or guardian can be reached.

CBSA officers watch for missing children, and may ask detailed questions about the children who are travelling with you.

Thank you for this! :thumbsup2 I think this is what I will do, being that my son is 14 and can pretty much talk on his own behalf should he be asked any questions! I will have my husband sign it and hopefully all will be good :goodvibes My husband will be dropping us off at the airport to see us off in Calgary, so I will also make sure that he doesn't completely drive off until we are departed. In this way, should there be any issue with Customs, He can intervene if necessary. I am not overly concerned about the return trip, it is having my departure to WDW delayed in anyway that I am most concerned about! :rotfl: Once departed, I'd say we are pretty safe! ;)
In any event, thank you for all the wonderful replies, I will definitely be drafting up that letter (sans the notarizing) to be on the safe side!
Marie :goodvibes

I took my kids (7,10,12) to Florida this March, dh was flying. They just asked where dh was. I explained he was meeting us there.

I did ask before we went, as there had been a lot of info on the board about this. One customs officer stated that if the child is old enough, she would just talk to them. At the very worst they would call your husband, so just make sure he is reachable by phone when you are crossing. I also had a letter by him saying where we were going. My kids have Nexus cards, which I think also helps. I can remember we took my 16 yr old sister in law one year and weren't even asked about her (aside from her id). Good luck!

"It is advisable to have the consent letter certified, stamped, or sealed by an official who has the authority to administer an oath or solemn declaration, so that the validity of the letter will not be questioned."

Taken directly from the Government of Canada website

http://www.voyage.gc.ca/faq/children-travel_enfants-voyage-eng.asp

Thanks for posting this. It is interesting on how you can find different variations of an explanation on the same site. Honestly I have been travelling across the border for 27 years and 15 of them were with custody papers and many trips with a letter of consent. Not once in 15 years have I ever been told I needed to have my letter notarized. I have re-confirmed this many times. If you choose to spend the money to have it notarized for piece of mind then fine but again it is not mandatory.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter