• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Traveling with someone with severe RA

aimeeg

DIS Veteran
I am planning a surprise Christmas trip to WDW with my Mom and my daughters. A few things I know for sure. We are going to stay at the GF. It is going to be a splurge but totally worth it. I thought being on the monorail would be easier for her. Also, if she needed to rest she would be close to "home." Finally, it's girls weekend!!! LOL

My Mom has very severe arthritis. She is a real trooper. I have never seen someone in so much pain complain so little! I am going to rent her a scooter and get her a GAC.

The last time my Mom went to WDW she was a healthy 27 year old with a two year old. That was 1981. Who knew just a few short years she would have been diagnosed with RA. I read the FAQ's and excuse me if I missed any info. Any suggestions would be great!

Her main issues are the following-
- Standing in long lines without sitting
- Walking for long periods of time
- Stairs
- Getting up from low seats
- Rides with motorized walks (Peter Pan)

I have several concerns obviously. I want her to have fun and enjoy her granddaughters who will be 4 and 6 at the time. We will spend most of our time in Fantasyland. I do not see her doing any jarring type rides. The Moutains will be out. I am concerned about rides like Pirates and Small World because I am not sure she can get in and out of the boats. I assume the rides like Peter Pan and Buzz can be slowed down. What about something like Toy Story where she cannot do the stairs but does not need to get her scooter into the ride. Can she have the scooter in the line and then park it when it is her turn to get on?

We are NOT looking for a get to the head of the line pass. I just want her to have fun and enjoy the weekend with her girls.

Thanks!!!!

Hi and :welcome: to disABILITIES!

The majority of attraction lines in WDW are "mainstreamed". This means that a wheelchair or ECV will use the regular entrance and line all the way to either a show seating or ride load area. If a line is not mainstreamed there will be signs and/or Cast Members to direct you where to go.

If a show, normally there will be spaces to park a chair or ECV and there will be seats next to the space for other members of the group.

If a ride, usually you will have to transfer to a ride vehicle, although some rides will allow a person in a wheelchair to remain in their chair. If you have to transfer to a ride, and unload is not at the same location as load, your ECV will magically appear at the unload area.

If you click on where it says "disABILTIES" at the top of this page it will take you to the Index. One of the top items is the "disABILTIES FAQ" which will gives lots of useful information. Note that Post #2 discusses mobility and equipment. Post #3 had a wide variety of information and links; it might be a good idea to look at the various park "Guidebook For Persons With Disabilities" for more detailed information.

Or, if you want an easier route to the FAQs, click on the link in my signature.

And there is no such thing as a "Head of the Line Pass" other than for a child traveling on a "Wish" trip.

Welcome to disABILITIES.
I see that you have looked at the FAQs and that it can be overwhelming. If you still have questions after looking at the specific parts that Cheshire Figment and I are pointing you toward, just keep asking questions.
Her main issues are the following-
- Standing in long lines without sitting
- Walking for long periods of time
- Stairs
- Getting up from low seats
- Rides with motorized walks (Peter Pan)
I can't wrote a long response right now, but for most of those needs, a GAC will not help that much, but she would get the help she needs by using the ECV in line. Since the lines are mostly Mainstreamed, as Cheshire Figment mentioned, she won't be getting ahead of anyone by using it (if she feels like she doesn't want special treatment). Using the ECV in line would mean that she will avoid standing for long periods, stairs and would board attractions with moving walkways at the place where they can be stopped. You don't need a GAC to bring the ECV in line. There are a few attractions that are not ECV accessible, but are wheelchair accessible. They do have some 'attraction wheelchairs' that guests can use for those attractions if they can't walk the distance. Sometimes the large park rental ECVs don't fit in line, but the smaller and more manouverable off site rental ones do. As you get to those attractions, ask the CM what your options are.

A GAC could help her avoid things like stairs, by letting her use the accessible path that bypasses the stairs. There are only a few attractions with stairs in the queue and other than Toy Story Mania, all the ones I can think of are thrill type rides that you will not be going on anyway. Toy Story Mania does a quick turn between games that some people find jarring, so you may want to send someone else on the attraction first to make sure it is safe for her. Explain your situation to the CM.

A GAC will not really help with standing in line or with long walks because the distance walked is not going to be any shorter. For example, the line from the entrance to boarding at Soarin' is 1/4 mile and there is no place to sit in line, whether you are using a GAC or not. In addition, some attractions like Soarin' include ramps going up or done thst could be difficult for her.If you look in the EPCOT FAQs thread near the top of this board, you will see how wheelchair/ECV access works on some of those attractions. I'm obviously still working on it, but should have some more done before you go.
If you look around in post #3 of the disABILITIES FAQs thread, there is also a link to a past thread about attractions and standing that should be helpful if you did not see it already.
So, my suggestion for standing and walking is to bring the ECV in lines unless you can see the whole line from beginning to end and are sure she can walk it. She will need to get up periodically to walk and stretch or she will get stiff. I'd suggest parking the ECV and walking into stores and restaurants. Those are hard to manouver an ECV around in anyway.

Peter Pan and the Tomorrowland Transit Authority are 2 attractions with moving walkways that can't be stopped except for emergency.

For a short post, this has turned out kind of long. Hope you have a great time.

She won't have problems with Small World, because they have a boat that is wheelchair acceptable. It has a ramp at the back of the boat that she just walks down and sits in the seat. They won't allow her to bring her ECV on but you can bring it right to where she would get on the ride, and transfer into the boat. Just let the CM know that you need this boat if they try and have you get into one of the other style ones.

I posted this on another forum, but thought it would be useful here:

Most of the parks have Mainstream Access, which means that the 'regular' line is accessible and there is not a different handicapped entrance.
This is a link to the official WDW website page of information for Guests with Mobility Disabilities:
Mobility Disabilities | Plain Text | Walt Disney World Resort

Some queues are wheelchair accessible, but may not be ECV accessible. The size of the ECV makes a difference; in many of these attractions, the big park rental ECVs won't fit, but many smaller rental ones will have no problem and can go in the line if it is a Mainstream Line. (Mainstream Lines are wheelchair accessible).
Guests may choose to transfer to a wheelchair that is at the attraction or may walk in.
This is a quote from that page (I added an * to those attractions that have Mainstream Lines and an E for those where I have personally seen ECVs in the regular line):
Guests in motorized vehicles or electric convenience vehicles (ECVs) must transfer into an available wheelchair at these Disney Theme Park attractions:
Magic Kingdom Theme Park
Buzz Lightyear's Space Ranger Spin * E
"it's a small world" E
Stitch's Great Escape! *
The Magic Carpets of Aladdin *
The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh. *
Tom Sawyer Island Rafts
Walt Disney World Railroad E

Epcot Theme Park
Ellen's Energy Adventure in Universe of Energy Pavilion * E
Gran Fiesta Tour Starring The Three Caballeros in Mexico Pavilion * E
Living with the Land in The Land area * E

Disney's Hollywood Studios Theme Park
Toy Story Mania * E

Disney's Animal Kingdom Theme Park
Affection section in Rafiki's Planet Watch (MY NOTE: NO ECVS FOR THE SAFETY OF THE ANIMALS)
Kilimanjaro Safaris * E
TriceraTop Spin *

The information in italics is the information about Mainstream Lines from that WDW page (I added an * to the ones that are listed above as ECV users needing to switch to a wheeelchair):
Walt Disney World Resort strives to provide mainstream access whenever possible; that is, all Guests utilize the main entrance to the attraction. However, accessibility varies from attraction to attraction within Disney Parks. The Guide for Guests with Disabilities and Park Guidemaps use symbols to indicate boarding procedures for each attraction. In addition, Guests should contact a Disney Cast Member at each attraction before entering. Mainstream queues can be found at these attractions at Walt Disney World Theme Parks

Most attractions for all parks are listed as "Enter through standard queue" for attractions without Fastpass or "Obtain a FASTPASS OR use Standby Queue" on the Guide for Guest with Disabilities maps I picked up in October 2009. There is also a large red box on the maps which says "Guests with any mobility or queue related assistance needs are encouraged to use the Disney's FASTPASS option whereever possible." There is the same explanation about how to use Fastpass as on the regular park maps.
These are the attractions in each park with a different method of access listed on the map:
MK
WDW Railroad: Enter using ramp on the RIGHT on Main Street
WDW Railroad: Enter using wheelchair ramp on RIGHT at Frontierland
Big Thunder Mountain RailRoad: Obtain Fastpass or see Host for options. If FASTPASS is not available, enter thru access on RIGHT
Country Bear Jamboree: Enter thru door on LEFT
Hall of Presidents: Enter through door on RIGHT
Liberty Square Riverboat: ENter through exit on RIGHT or LEFT
it's a small world: Enter thru standard queue. Follow directional signs to designated load area
Peter Pan's Flight: Obtain FASTPASS or see host for options. If Fastpass is not available, see a host for options.
Snow White's Scary Adventures: Enter through Exit on RIGHT
Cinderella's Golden Carrousel: ENter through exit on RIGHT
Dumbo: Enter using ramp on RIGHT
Tea Party: ENter through exit on RIGHT
Barnstormer: Enter through exit on LEFT
Space Mountain: Obtain a FASTPASS or see a host for options. If FASTPASS not available, enter through queue on RIGHT

Epcot
Spaceship Earth: Enter through the exit on the RIGHT or LEFT
Gran Fiesta Tour Starring the 3 Caballeros: Enter through the Standard Queue. Follow directional signs to designated load area.
American Adventure: See a host or hostess for access to second floor
Impressions de France: Enter through LEFT side of entrance hallway

Studio
Great Movie Ride: Enter through the Standard queue. A host will provide directions in the pre-show area
Studio Backlot Tour: Enter through the standard queue and stay to the RIGHT
Fantasmic: Enter through the standard queue and stay to the RIGHT

Animal Kingdom
Wildlife Express Train: Proceed through standard queue. A host will direct boarding
The Boneyard: Enter through the designated access gate

Everything other than these attractions I have listed say to enter through the mainstream or standby queue.
The maps are very easy to read (although the type is small) and I recommend you get one for each park. The access information is listed right on the map with all the other information. There are icons that show which attractions you can stay right in the wheelchair or ECV for the whole attraction, which you need to transfer from an ECV to an attraction wheelchair and which you need to transfer to a ride car.

Thank you all so much!

I needed to edit my OP because I made a mistake in my last sentance. It should have said this!

We are NOT looking for a get to the head of the line pass. I just want her to have fun and enjoy the weekend with her girls.

I know there is a lot of good information out there it was just a bit overwhelming because of all the different needs and suggestions. Thanks again to everyone that posted and I am sure I will have more questions!

The good thing is my family is going in two weeks. I can get as much info "from the mouses mouth" while we are there. I can also be on the lookout for the way they load rides etc . . .

I do think we will get a GAC because my Mom "looks" normal. Her knees are so bad that she simply cannot do stairs. We would really use the card as a backup plan. I know that she could do TSM but the rollercoasters are out.

Can someone tell me more about entry on the Small World? She would take her ECV to a special entry. Then she would ride in a special boat. Is the seat off the ground? Does she then transfer to a wheelchair? Can the three of us sit with her?

I am also thinking about the boats of POTC and in Mexico. Do they have a similar system. I am concerned because stepping down, then sitting and having to get back up would be impossible.

With Small World, she would ride the ECV through the exit of the ride all the way down to the boats. She would then leave her scooter there and board the boats. They have 2 types of boats. The first is the type that you step down into. The second is one that has a ramp at the back of the boat making it wheelchair accessible. This last one is the one that you would want (explain to the CM that your Mom can't do the other one). She would just walk down the ramp and sit on the benches in the front. You all should be able to sit together with no problems.

I don't know about the others, but that was my experience with Small World.

Thank you. I just really want her to have a nice time and not say "I wish I could do that." kwim :lovestruc

I did want to tell you about our experience with Small World and the special boat. It was great to just walk down the ramp but the seating was single person in much if not all of the boat. This is because there is room for wheel chairs in the middle of the two rows of seating.

This was not a good thing for us since my Mom needs some one to sit with her and keep tabs on her behavior.

We also found the seats to be very low on this special boat and it was very difficult to get back up once you were seated. :rotfl:

In your mom's case I would suggest she use a attraction wheel chair to sit in during the ride instead of struggling to get up off of the low bench seat.

I have lupus and one of the problems I have is arthritis. I am in a position v. similar to your mom. On our trip in 2008 I did not get a GAC b/c I felt I did not need it b/c I would have family and an ecv. It was a mistake. I don't need a lot of assistance and you would not know from looking at me that I am so sick. On IASW, I rode ecv up to special line and had to wait some, prob same amt of time on regular entrance. Those boats are low!!!. I was with one of my children and my parents. My dad had to give me a hand getting up and then out. It did not hold up the line and b/c I had stayed in ecv ride operators were patient and understanding. On other rides where I wasn't in ecv, operators were not patient and rushing. By no means did I hold up the line, I just needed a hand from a family member to guide me. In 2009 I got a GAC and I just stated my diagnosis and had a dr letter just in case. There were no questions asked and I received it w/o incident. Funny enough, now that I had it tucked away in my wallet, I never had to use it.

You and your family will have a wonderful time. Make sure Mom gets out of ecv and moves around. Walking around gift shops is a good idea!!! Seriously, because they are air conditioned and if during the peak of the day less crowded.

I would suggest renting an ecv for your length of stay from an outside company. Walks to bus stops and monorails and restaurants can be long and can do you in before or after the park. I used a big clunker of an ecv from Buena Vista Scooters and had a hard time getting in and out of it, then next year I rented a Pride Go Go elite from Apple and was much happier. It was more comfortable and easier to maneuver which meant less taxing on my hands, elbows and shoulders. The seats flipped up so I could sit and pivot rather than tried to bend and tilt in.

I hope this helps! Have fun

my hips and knees are shot(diagnosed at 5 with RA, now 42)

Pirates was HARD for me to do as was IASW and the Mexico ride.

what I did was step onto the SEAT first and then down into the seating area . DHhad to get into the ride first and steady me, and then climb over me to haul my butt out afterward.

Bascially any ride that constrains my legs or forces my knees to be above my waist when I am sitting down.. I need extra time and help. even a short 5 minute ride with my knees locked in one position means just that..they LOCK

I don;t remember how hard/easy TSM was but I do remember the guy in front of us being able to take his ECV almost to the actual vehicle itself.

several rides have stairs at soem point in the line.. and for me.. yeah bad ju ju especially as they are unioversally dark and corwded. so without a GAC stating no stairs I woudl avoid walking through the line.. just take the ECV in with you.

I actually use a WC.. I cannot use an ECV( pretty much the rest of me is shot too) so DH gets to push me around all day. only fair since I push him aorund the rest of the time..making him clean and cook and take me to the doctors...

If you stay in the ECV, you will not need a GAC. There are a few attractions which have lines that are not ECV accessible (those are listed in my previous post). Although those lines are listed as not being ECV accessible, often the smaller ECVs can go in the lines, especially the 3 wheel ECVs, which can turn more sharply.
If you are told that your ECV can't go into the line, they do have wheelchairs available. Explain that you can't walk in line and need one of the attraction ECVs.
THis is a picture of the Small World wheelchair parking area. The folded chairs at the top of the picture are "attraction wheelchairs" that can be used by people who don't have a wheelchair to ride in the accessible boat. Wheelchairs and ECVs are parked in the area at the bottom of the picture where you see one wheelchair parked.
PA130121.JPG

Here is a picture of the Small World Boat. The accessible boat is not actually lower than the other boats, it just appears that way. If you walk on, you can use the grab bars to get in and out (the way Mrsjvb mentioned).
2590PA040123.JPG

The wheelchair boat in Mexico is very similar. (Sorry about the dark picture - I have a better one, but it is not on the internet).
2590mexico_boat_3.JPG

This is a picture of the Pirates boat boarding area. It is quite a hard transfer on and the 'off' is also hard. Someone once compared it to stepping down into a bathtub and sitting on the bathtub floor.
2590P4110366.JPG

Thanks for the info and the pictures!!!

The Small World boat looks really good. I am going to check it out in person but it looks like little chairs instead of "bathtub" benches. That is a perfect way to describe POTC! On IASW my Mom could be able to use the seat in front of her to help pull her up. Also, if she is able to rock a few times it makes it easier to get up. POTC might be a huge challenge. :(

I am going to look into renting a three wheeled ECV for my Mom. Our plan is to do MK, EC, and DHS. Having a smaller ECV to get to the parks would be good. Then she can spend her energy exploring the parks instead of walking to them.

I do have pictures of almost every attraction, but most are not posted. Since I have over 700 photos that show various aspects of attractions from a disability standpoint, it's not possible to post them all.

If there is an attraction you are especially interested in , let me know and I will find pictures of the ride car and loading to post.
If you look in the EPCOT FAQs thread near the top of this board, I have completed information sheets for a number if attractions. My plan ( if I ever get free time - LOL) is to complete a sheet or more for each attraction at each park.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter