• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Traveling with Pets?

gracie1

DIS Veteran
Do you travel with your pets? I hate to leave my dogs at home, I have 2 of them, a lab mix and chihuahua. Anyone travel with their dogs? It's really hard to try to find a place to accept my lab, because she is 88 lbs.

I'm looking at going to Lancaster or somewhere in that area. I'm also afraid that she will bark if I leave her since I never have left her and get us kicked out:rotfl2:

We ALWAYS travel with our furbaby. She is family. We stay at La Quinta. They have free breakfast which is a money saver and she can stay in the room while we are out. I have been at some where you hear dogs and sometimes they are quiet. They are very understanding about dogs since they get the pet travelers. When we drove to California last summer we stayed in one and our baby freaked out in the elevator and peed in the floor. My husband went to clean it up but they were right on it. Wouldn't let thim do it. Needless to say he had to carry her up and down the steps from then on.We wouldn't stay anywhere else while traveling. And they DON"T charge for pets.

We ALWAYS travel with our furbaby. She is family. We stay at La Quinta. They have free breakfast which is a money saver and she can stay in the room while we are out. I have been at some where you hear dogs and sometimes they are quiet. They are very understanding about dogs since they get the pet travelers. When we drove to California last summer we stayed in one and our baby freaked out in the elevator and peed in the floor. My husband went to clean it up but they were right on it. Wouldn't let thim do it. Needless to say he had to carry her up and down the steps from then on.We wouldn't stay anywhere else while traveling. And they DON"T charge for pets.

Do you have a small furbaby?? I noticed that there is normally a weight limit, and have yet to find any that exceed 50lbs. My furbaby is 85lbs (lab/dalmation mix) and I also have another furbaby that is 19lbs, so no problem taking her with me.

We travel with our German shepherd. Try bringfido.com and search for no weight limit. I've had good luck using them.

No, we don't travel with our dogs. Primarily because we usually travel a long distance and fly and when we drive, they don't like the car. We have a great kennel near our house where we leave them. I think that's much better for them to be in a familiar place than to spend hours in the car or cooped up in a strange hotel room. How can that be fun for a dog?

I have a very spoiled 12 year old 5 pound Pomeranian. Sometimes he goes with us, sometimes not, depends on where we are going. If we can't take him, I am lucky that my Mom can come stay at our house with him. He has never been boarded. We had a reunion last October, and the hotel didn't allow pets. My Mom was out of town. I BEGGED my vet, and she kept him at her house. She knows how spoiled he is!

No, we don't travel with our dogs. Primarily because we usually travel a long distance and fly and when we drive, they don't like the car. We have a great kennel near our house where we leave them. I think that's much better for them to be in a familiar place than to spend hours in the car or cooped up in a strange hotel room. How can that be fun for a dog?

It probably depends on the dog. One of my daughter's rescue dogs had been abandoned at a shelter not once, but twice. My daughter later worked in a shelter and she couldn't even take the dog to events there, because the poor "child" thought she was being turned in again. She would be miserable in a kennel, no matter how nice.

After a few years of hiring dog/house sitters or bringing her 250 miles for us to dog sit, she moved next door. Now we're the built in sitters. The dogs are very happy with us when the kids are away.

Sheila

Also try dogfriendly.com.

Another chain that doesn't charge is Red Roof Inn.

Hope this helps!

Choice hotels, some of the hilton brands, Embassy suites and some Best Westerns are all pet friendly or have pet friendly rooms. We board our dog-or leave him with his breeder when we go somewhere its not appropriate for him to go.-but we also show him. and i have friends who also show. Its not unheard of for a friend an i to share a room-with our three Bernese Mountain dogs-at a show. Three Berners trump your lab mix-LOL.

No- I Never travel with my pets....I pay the kids next door to take care of them. I don't want the hassle of caring for them while away. Maybe if we RV'd,I might take some of them....

No- I Never travel with my pets....I pay the kids next door to take care of them. I don't want the hassle of caring for them while away. Maybe if we RV'd,I might take some of them....

This is something I have been looking into, renting an rv and taking them with me!

Choice hotels, some of the hilton brands, Embassy suites and some Best Westerns are all pet friendly or have pet friendly rooms. We board our dog-or leave him with his breeder when we go somewhere its not appropriate for him to go.-but we also show him. and i have friends who also show. Its not unheard of for a friend an i to share a room-with our three Bernese Mountain dogs-at a show. Three Berners trump your lab mix-LOL.

Yes, your 3 dogs trump my lab by a long run!!! LOL

We don't travel much anymore, but we have taken ours a few times and stayed at a Best Western. We took her crate, and when we did have to leave her alone in the room (for short periods of time only), we put her in the crate. I also told the front desk if we left her, and gave them my cell phone number if there were any problems.

If you decide to leave them at home, I found this great site www.dogvacay.com. It's a listing of people who dogsit in their home. I found a GREAT dogsitter to watch my lil boy when we travel. She spoils him like crazy, he gets to play with her 3 little dogs and then they all sleep in her bed at night. And the price (set by each person) is only $20/night and she only watches 1 family of pets per night. So I know that it's only him playing with her dogs, no chance of other bigger, scarier dogs coming over (he's afraid of the big boys). It's been a life saver for us.

My family has traveled with our poodle before, we stayed at a Hampton Inn we had to pay a pet fee but it wasn't an outrageous amount. We were told not all rooms were pet friendly, but the corner rooms on the ground floor were. So we received a room on the ground floor that was right next to an exit door. It was perfect cause it was easy to take our dog outside for walks during our stay and we were at the end of the hall and weren't worried about the dog distributing other guests.

Our dog is small (under 5 pounds), but when we took him to the lobby everyone at the front desk loved him and when we had to leave him in the room one by himself we told the front desk he was going to be in the room alone for awhile and gave them our cell numbers in case he made to much noise.

Our hotel room had an open bathroom floorplan, with a walk in shower (no tub) so we left our dog in the bathroom while we were out of the room. We put his bed and blanket and toys in bathroom with him and he was fine. He hates being in a crate, he will just cry and whimper until he gets out, so the bathroom was our best option. We stopped by the front desk and they said they heard nothing from him, so either he didn't brake or the room/bathroom was soundproof enough that he didn't bother anyone.

We would love to bring our dog to Disney with us, but since we stay on property that's not an option. So we board him in a VIP pet suite at our veteninarians boarding facilities. It's really adorable, it's a good size room for our dog with a tv, window and half door. The rooms are all themed like princesses and cowboys, etc. and we take all his personal things (bed, toys, food, water dish, etc.). However, if we travel outside of Disney (anywhere that except pets) we take our dog with us, he's a really good traveler and loves to be wherever we are.

My family has traveled with our poodle before, we stayed at a Hampton Inn we had to pay a pet fee but it wasn't an outrageous amount. We were told not all rooms were pet friendly, but the corner rooms on the ground floor were. So we received a room on the ground floor that was right next to an exit door. It was perfect cause it was easy to take our dog outside for walks during our stay and we were at the end of the hall and weren't worried about the dog distributing other guests.

Our dog is small (under 5 pounds), but when we took him to the lobby everyone at the front desk loved him and when we had to leave him in the room one by himself we told the front desk he was going to be in the room alone for awhile and gave them our cell numbers in case he made to much noise.

Our hotel room had an open bathroom floorplan, with a walk in shower (no tub) so we left our dog in the bathroom while we were out of the room. We put his bed and blanket and toys in bathroom with him and he was fine. He hates being in a crate, he will just cry and whimper until he gets out, so the bathroom was our best option. We stopped by the front desk and they said they heard nothing from him, so either he didn't brake or the room/bathroom was soundproof enough that he didn't bother anyone.

We would love to bring our dog to Disney with us, but since we stay on property that's not an option. So we board him in a VIP pet suite at our veteninarians boarding facilities. It's really adorable, it's a good size room for our dog with a tv, window and half door. The rooms are all themed like princesses and cowboys, etc. and we take all his personal things (bed, toys, food, water dish, etc.). However, if we travel outside of Disney (anywhere that except pets) we take our dog with us, he's a really good traveler and loves to be wherever we are.

I love that the VIP suite at your vets is themed with princesses or cowboys! How cute!! I have not boarded mine at my vets before... she has only been boarded once for 4 days at another kennel, but I said the next time if I had to board her it would be at my vets. They have quites as well (not as nice as yours!) and a playground, pool, etc. Plus she has separation anxiety from her mama so atleast the vet is on site!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter