Traveling with ONLY carry on bags... With a family?

what about diapers for a 1.5 year old. You have to take them all, and plan on taking many more than you need, just in case. Also, what about medicine?

When you are out on the middle of the ocean you are pretty isolated. You have to bring EVERYTHING you need, so I would pack at least one big checked suitcase containing plenty diapers, cold medicines and the like.

Yes, I brought that up in my very 1st post very 1st line. The diapers AND wipes an issue. I asked the OP if she was going to purchase the "baby lite" program, but she has not answered. Not to mention the "baby on the plane survival pack." When my kiddos were in diapers. we did not have the program, so I do not know details about it. I do not know if her others are in pull-ups at night, but that is even more packing. I also mentioned managing kids that small in an airport with all of those carry-ons, not to mention through TSA. I also mentioned cameras & purses too. So, it was all broguht up just has not been answered by the OP. I know when my DD was a toddler, we carried wipes and actually ran out due to her bowel pattern changing while on the ship. We had to buy them in Mexico (cheaper than on the ship) and they still cost us a price :scared1: I guess the POCs realize you will pay the inflated rate for something like diaper wipes.:upsidedow

Yes, I brought that up in my very 1st post very 1st line. The diapers AND wipes an issue. I asked the OP if she was going to purchase the "baby lite" program, but she has not answered. Not to mention the "baby on the plane survival pack." When my kiddos were in diapers. we did not have the program, so I do not know details about it. I do not know if her others are in pull-ups at night, but that is even more packing. I also mentioned managing kids that small in an airport with all of those carry-ons, not to mention through TSA. I also mentioned cameras & purses too. So, it was all broguht up just has not been answered by the OP. I know when my DD was a toddler, we carried wipes and actually ran out due to her bowel pattern changing while on the ship. We had to buy them in Mexico (cheaper than on the ship) and they still cost us a price :scared1: I guess the POCs realize you will pay the inflated rate for something like diaper wipes.:upsidedow

Yes, I think this is a deal killer for traveling with only carry-ons when you have very smaller children and are on a cruise.

Yes, I brought that up in my very 1st post very 1st line. The diapers AND wipes an issue.

We have three children, we traveled by airplane 7 times before they were 4...(had three children in 4 years...so we know about diapers) Literally all the diapers/wipes we needed for a week were in our diaper bag...no problem...the new diapers they make now are soooo compact that you can easily fit a two pack in a diaper bag that will hold 150 diapers...it's not hard, really...they take about as much space as 4 pairs of my husband's size 11 shoes and my 6'1 15 year old's size 13 shoes...

On all the fancy dresses and stuff, each of our girls had 3 formal dresses each (they're 11 & 12)...I had 2 dresses and just a change of scarf or something, but my dresses were the travel kinds that can fit in a can of soup if you really tried...the dress retailed for over $200, and I got it for under $10 on clearance at Sierra Trading Post...they have a lot of travel type clothes as does Travel Smith...it can be done, but the packers have to be willing and savvy...there will always be those families that have 10 suitcases for 4 people...I just don't want to be one of them! :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ird4DF5fgHE&feature=related

Pack light and enjoy! :)
Tara

If the bins are full and you have to check the bags in do you still have to pay?

Flight I was on Sunday had about 20 people that had to check carry on bags as the bins were full.

If the bins are full and you have to check the bags in do you still have to pay?

Flight I was on Sunday had about 20 people that had to check carry on bags as the bins were full.

Usually yes. The exception may be if they have enough room to put it where they store the strollers/wheelchairs and you can still pick it up plane side. And it is $25 per bag REGARDLESS of how big the bag is, so if you have to check your 4 wheelies it will be $100. I think this is becoming more common. On most flights I have been on recently, all of the platinum/high priority members get on first and will easily fill the majority of the space. Hubby and I usually travel on airlines where we are priority boarding people and we still have seen the overheads above our seats already containing 1-2 wheelies. (We don't rush on the plane at first call, but do tend to board before they have finished calling "group 1") There is only enough space (usually) for half of the people on the plane to actually put a wheelie bag in the overheads!!

We have three children, we traveled by airplane 7 times before they were 4...(had three children in 4 years...so we know about diapers) Literally all the diapers/wipes we needed for a week were in our diaper bag...no problem...the new diapers they make now are soooo compact that you can easily fit a two pack in a diaper bag that will hold 150 diapers...it's not hard, really...they take about as much space as 4 pairs of my husband's size 11 shoes and my 6'1 15 year old's size 13 shoes...

On all the fancy dresses and stuff, each of our girls had 3 formal dresses each (they're 11 & 12)...I had 2 dresses and just a change of scarf or something, but my dresses were the travel kinds that can fit in a can of soup if you really tried...the dress retailed for over $200, and I got it for under $10 on clearance at Sierra Trading Post...they have a lot of travel type clothes as does Travel Smith...it can be done, but the packers have to be willing and savvy...there will always be those families that have 10 suitcases for 4 people...I just don't want to be one of them! :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ird4DF5fgHE&feature=related

Pack light and enjoy! :)
Tara
Hope I'm not sitting next to that's toddler's parent on my next flight. I couldn't believe it but on our flight from London to the US this family came on board they were the last to board. They had a roll-on that was definitely seatcase size. Anyways, they were forced to check-it. It was their only bag. So, we had to wait for them to pull out the baby's diapers and wipes, etc... but they didn't pull out any food or toys or blankets. Nothing. At that moment I knew I was in for a long flight. The kid cried the entire time out of bordom. Anyways, the baby was a lap baby. Since it was a lap baby you do not get any food. She was probably 1 1/2 years old. So, the poor thing was crying and hungry and all they fed her was milk for the entire 9 to 10 hour flight.

But seriously with a toddler I'd check at least one bag. I couldn't fly with out snacks and toys and wipes. I also brought extra with my toddlers. I even brought new stuff just to keep them entertained. I also like to bring benydril, motrin, etc... Plus, I couldn't imagine trying to handle all the bags with a toddler. I think, yes we can all pack lighter but at what expense and who's expense.

Good luck!!! You'll have to let us know how you did.

Several of our pieces came with straps that allow you to do just this. We have done it - before DS was big enough to help much. Problem is that when you STOP MOVING everything is weighted to that end & sort of falls down if you don't hold still in one set position & it can become hard to pick up & get moving again. I think it's only practical to really use on a couple of pieces at a time. Just my personal experience. I'd rather stack UP than OUT.

Several of our pieces came with straps that allow you to do just this. We have done it - before DS was big enough to help much. Problem is that when you STOP MOVING everything is weighted to that end & sort of falls down if you don't hold still in one set position & it can become hard to pick up & get moving again. I think it's only practical to really use on a couple of pieces at a time. Just my personal experience. I'd rather stack UP than OUT.

Thanks!.

We would be connecting two suitcases.

We're a family of 6 and only take carryons. My kids are older, though. My youngest is 7 and she can handle her own luggage.

To answer some of your questions, the kids all know that they need to make it fit in their carryons or it doesn't come. I'll admit, getting through security is a hassle since everyone has one small suitcase and a personal item. I usually have one person in charge of the liquids that are placed in small bags. DH gets put in charge of all the electronics. We don't bring sunscreen, which means you have to buy it at the destination. But I'd have to buy it anyway so it isn't an additional cost. You can get small travel sizes of contact lense solution, hairspray, etc. for cheap at Target.

I'm a frequent traveler so have an arsenal of travel worthy clothes that can be mixed and matched to look dressy or casual. This allows me to bring relatively few clothing items. I go light on shoes. I tend to wear boots on the flight since I can wear them with dresses or pants. Because of the bulkiness of coats or hoodies for the kids, we wear them to the airport to avoid packing. Most places we go to have laundry facilities or we stay in condos.

We travel overseas and domestically and we've always made the carryons work. I can't imagine coming home to face even more laundry than what can fit in the carryons. I hate post-trip unpacking!

And to the person that asked what happens if all the overhead bins are full......this happened to us on our recent trip to China. They had me gate check my carryon since we were one of the last to board. There wasn't an additional cost, but I wasn't happy being separated from my bag since it had essential medications. This was my first time on Delta and they didn't immediately return it on arrival. It showed up with the other checked luggage. I've gate checked in the past and this was unusual.

We're a family of 6 and only take carryons. My kids are older, though. My youngest is 7 and she can handle her own luggage.

To answer some of your questions, the kids all know that they need to make it fit in their carryons or it doesn't come. I'll admit, getting through security is a hassle since everyone has one small suitcase and a personal item. I usually have one person in charge of the liquids that are placed in small bags. DH gets put in charge of all the electronics. We don't bring sunscreen, which means you have to buy it at the destination. But I'd have to buy it anyway so it isn't an additional cost. You can get small travel sizes of contact lense solution, hairspray, etc. for cheap at Target.

I'm a frequent traveler so have an arsenal of travel worthy clothes that can be mixed and matched to look dressy or casual. This allows me to bring relatively few clothing items. I go light on shoes. I tend to wear boots on the flight since I can wear them with dresses or pants. Because of the bulkiness of coats or hoodies for the kids, we wear them to the airport to avoid packing. Most places we go to have laundry facilities or we stay in condos.

We travel overseas and domestically and we've always made the carryons work. I can't imagine coming home to face even more laundry than what can fit in the carryons. I hate post-trip unpacking!

And to the person that asked what happens if all the overhead bins are full......this happened to us on our recent trip to China. They had me gate check my carryon since we were one of the last to board. There wasn't an additional cost, but I wasn't happy being separated from my bag since it had essential medications. This was my first time on Delta and they didn't immediately return it on arrival. It showed up with the other checked luggage. I've gate checked in the past and this was unusual.

They would not give you a minute to take your meds out?
I've never shopped at Target so I don't know how their prices compare but I do love this site:
http://www.minimus.biz/default.aspx
I just make sure I buy $20 at a time and it lasts multiple trips or share an order with my parents. :goodvibes

They would not give you a minute to take your meds out?
I've never shopped at Target so I don't know how their prices compare but I do love this site:
http://www.minimus.biz/default.aspx
I just make sure I buy $20 at a time and it lasts multiple trips or share an order with my parents. :goodvibes

They did, but I was caught off guard and was more concerned about pulling out the kindle and snacks for the 12+ hour flight that I totally forgot about the meds.....only to remember after it was too late....only to worry about it during the flight :)

They did, but I was caught off guard and was more concerned about pulling out the kindle and snacks for the 12+ hour flight that I totally forgot about the meds.....only to remember after it was too late....only to worry about it during the flight :)
gotcha :thumbsup2 :goodvibes

Ok - this thread is a little old, but I'm going to try getting it to the top again. We travel annually for 6+ weeks at a time with just a carry-on (Eagle Creek) and a smaller backpack as a personal item (see below for more details). The first time we added a cruise, we took another roller duffle and it was way more trouble than it was worth - haven't done that again. We basically take 4 days worth of clothes and hand wash daily with a weekly laundry time and one dressy outfit (not really formal, but it works).

Our upcoming Disney cruise includes 5 adults and 2 grandchildren (age 6&7). They will each have a rolling carry-on (with booster seat attached) and their school backpacks. We will stop at Walmart in Cocoa before we get to the hotel to get sunscreen since we can't take large bottles with us.

Having cruised several times, I'm really not into giving over our soft cases to the baggage people at Disney (or anywhere else) to end up crunched at the bottom of the luggage carts. Can we carry our bags onto the ship? I know we'll need to hang on to them until rooms are ready, which is a hassle, but we can deal with that. Will we be allowed to do that if they'll fit through the security (have to fit to get on the plane anyway)?

Ok - this thread is a little old, but I'm going to try getting it to the top again. We travel annually for 6+ weeks at a time with just a carry-on (Eagle Creek) and a smaller backpack as a personal item (see below for more details). The first time we added a cruise, we took another roller duffle and it was way more trouble than it was worth - haven't done that again. We basically take 4 days worth of clothes and hand wash daily with a weekly laundry time and one dressy outfit (not really formal, but it works).

Our upcoming Disney cruise includes 5 adults and 2 grandchildren (age 6&7). They will each have a rolling carry-on (with booster seat attached) and their school backpacks. We will stop at Walmart in Cocoa before we get to the hotel to get sunscreen since we can't take large bottles with us.

Having cruised several times, I'm really not into giving over our soft cases to the baggage people at Disney (or anywhere else) to end up crunched at the bottom of the luggage carts. Can we carry our bags onto the ship? I know we'll need to hang on to them until rooms are ready, which is a hassle, but we can deal with that. Will we be allowed to do that if they'll fit through the security (have to fit to get on the plane anyway)?
Yes, you can carry your bags on if they fit through the scanner thingy. I'm assuming yours would since you are taking them on the plane. I believe the rooms open up at about 1:30 pm or so.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter