Traveling With My Son's Friend

JennLTX

DIS Veteran
This is a completely new situation for me. My son is 15, his buddy is 15, and we're all going to BWV in July. I'm concerned about the getting there and coming home part because I've purchased the friend's plane ticket on our flights, reserved his seat next to ours, but his ticket has a different confirmation number (we're on United).

I'm also concerned about, well, life at Disney with a 1) new person who is 2) not related to me and is also 3) a smelly teenage boy just like the one I already have and now I'm going to occupy a studio with two such creatures. :crazy2: Seriously, he's a GREAT kid, I trust both of them, and plan to let them do things on their own (his parents are completely on board and very excited for him).

I know lots of you fabulous folk have been there and done that. My biggest worry is about the flights and him being on a different confirmation number, but I also would LOVE to hear from anyone who's traveled with kid friends. Advice welcome. :D

If you booked yours and his in two separate purchases they would have different confirmation numbers. Should be fine.
I did; my concern was that we'd arrive at the various checkpoints in the airport and then it'd be an issue. I've never traveled with an underage individual unrelated to me.

Enjoy! It will likely be Less concerns/stressful/messy than you think. They will be so busy wanting to do/see it all and having the freedom to just do it. A great experience in responsibility for those two young men. Lucky them! Lay down ur rules and let em fly. Have a great time!

my one caveat.. be sure you have written documentation for medical care in case it’s needed, one never knows. ( was not thinking Covid just Any issue)
Happy travels!

We've brought our girls' friends with us before. No issues at the airport. I would recommend getting a signed letter from his guardians allowing you to get him emergency medical/general medical care if needed. Emergency care is self-explanatory. By general care I mean if he falls and scrapes up his knee, he might need to go to the medical care center in a park. I'd also bring his insurance card. A "permission to travel with" letter wouldn't hurt either, but is probably not necessary.

We always drove so I don't have the airline info but I don't think it's an issue. We've made multiple trips with my daughter's girlfriend and it really wasn't a problem. I don't know about teenage boys but I can tell you teenage girls aren't the tidiest creatures on earth. I can also tell you we had an amazing time but in all fairness the companion was like a second daughter to us since elementary school.

Forget all the letters. At the hospital they would try to contact the parents and if they can’t they will treat him anyway. Nobody atht e airport will accept a letter. I’ve been told that by a TSA agent.

Letters can be easily forged.

Forget all the letters. At the hospital they would try to contact the parents and if they can’t they will treat him anyway. Nobody atht e airport will accept a letter. I’ve been told that by a TSA agent.

Letters can be easily forged.
I disagree, every summer my sister would leave her kids with my parents yo travel overseas, those letters came in handy for some visits to urgent care, I clearly remember my niece having an ear infection and the letter was needed, not every medical visit is an emergency.

We have never traveled by plane, but took my son’s friend with us in many vacations. The boys had the best times at Disney together.

I have taken friends of each of my children (high school age) with us. I have their parents full out a temporary guardianship letter. It can be easily found on the internet, it has to be notarized so it is a legal document. I know it sounds unnecessary but it is simple and I figured it was better safe than sorry.

I would call UA and get your reservations linked. Not because anyone in the airport will care, but if there is an issue with the flight (e.g. it is cancelled and you are moved to another flight), with two separate reservation numbers, they don’t know to keep him with you.

If it was me I would make sure to check the reservation about once a week.... usually on Sundays. With Covid impacting travel demand, airlines have been altering schedules in pretty big ways. By checking every week or so you'll be able to spot a schedule change before the airlines alert you to it....which means you'll be able to get it fixed before other passengers even realize there's a change.

Unfortunately IMO for domestic travel, it won't be question by TSA, the airline or anyone at the airport.

As far as going with someone new, all i can suggest is to be flexible and transparent.

I have taken friends of each of my children (high school age) with us. I have their parents full out a temporary guardianship letter. It can be easily found on the internet, it has to be notarized so it is a legal document. I know it sounds unnecessary but it is simple and I figured it was better safe than sorry.
This. Murphy's Law and all that.

lol - y'all talking about guardianship and I'm wondering if you have sat this child down to explain rope drop and that it's a Disney EXPERIENCE. not a vacation. My 20-something DS's girlfriend looked at me like I had grown horns when I handed her a "schedule" that included being out the door at 6:30 some mornings. In all fairness, there were probably other times she thought I had horns. And we have done guardianships when taking nephew on DCL but I don't worry about it for domestic travel.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter