Traveling with expressed breast milk

wdwfanatic316

DIS Veteran
I will be traveling to wdw next month for an adults only trip, meaning my 15 month old will be staying home. I had kind of planned on weaning him before the trip, but it doesn't look like that's going to happen as he's pretty attached! So, it looks like I'll be pumping while I'm there. I'll be staying at BCV so I'll have a full size fridge so no problems there. What I'm not sure about is transporting the milk home. Would it be better to froze the milk or leave it refrigerated? Should I put it in my carryon or checked luggage? Are plastic bottles better or bags? :confused3 I've never had enough milk to store, so don't have any experience freezing ebm. Any suggestions or answers would be appreciated! Thanks! :goodvibes

While I was still nursing, DH & I went away for 4 days without DD. I hd no freezer in the room, but did have a fridge. I had to pump and dump for 3 days. Boy- did that hurt!
On the last day, I kept my milk in the bottles and put them in the insulated bag that came with my pump. Got some ice from the machine and that's it.

I felt more comfortable with bottles rather than bags, only bc I was afraid the bags would leak. I brought it in my carry-on and took it out while going through security, along with my pump (I pumped on the plane).

How long is your flight? It would def be better to freeze the milk if possible.

While I was still nursing, DH & I went away for 4 days without DD. I hd no freezer in the room, but did have a fridge. I had to pump and dump for 3 days. Boy- did that hurt!
On the last day, I kept my milk in the bottles and put them in the insulated bag that came with my pump. Got some ice from the machine and that's it.

I felt more comfortable with bottles rather than bags, only bc I was afraid the bags would leak. I brought it in my carry-on and took it out while going through security, along with my pump (I pumped on the plane).

How long is your flight? It would def be better to freeze the milk if possible.

Total travel time will be about 7 hours, from leaving the hotel to arriving home. Pumping and dumping is definitely an option, but like you said it would be hard to do! Feels like such a waste!

As much as it kills you to pump and dump, given that your DS is 15 months old and no longer exclusively dependent on breast milk for nutrition, I think it's your best option.

When I was breastfeeding I froze milk once an a while. I bought special bags for doing so from the baby store. I then double-bagged them as well. Your local baby shop should have special "foodsafe" bags for storing breast milk. If you don't need frozen milk when you get home, and you just want to pump to maintain your milk supply I would probably just pour it down the sink after I pumped.

I'd pump (for comfort only) and dump as well. If you decide to pump enough to try to keep your supply up and thus have a lot of milk, I wouldn't freeze it. How long is your trip? BM can be kept refrigerated for seven days. But if you freeze milk and then it thaws (even partially), it has to be used within 24 hours. If you can keep it cooled at an appropriate temp, you can get it home and freeze it then.

I think you have no choice but to put it in your checked luggage because you can't take liquids in your carry on over 3 ozs

Expressed breast milk is an exception to the 3oz rules.

Even without a baby present?

That seems like quite a risk to the public, if all the security measures are to keep from people being able to take things on a plane. I thought you had to have the child with you, because if you don't then all the measures are even more of a joke than I thought. You could have anything in there and call it breast milk.

That seems like quite a risk to the public, if all the security measures are to keep from people being able to take things on a plane. I thought you had to have the child with you, because if you don't then all the measures are even more of a joke than I thought. You could have anything in there and call it breast milk.

I've read that that's correct, you are allowed the bring breastmilk on as a carry on. But, many TSA's aren't even aware of the policy so it's best to print a copy to show them.

I'd pump (for comfort only) and dump as well. If you decide to pump enough to try to keep your supply up and thus have a lot of milk, I wouldn't freeze it. How long is your trip? BM can be kept refrigerated for seven days. But if you freeze milk and then it thaws (even partially), it has to be used within 24 hours. If you can keep it cooled at an appropriate temp, you can get it home and freeze it then.

My trip is for 7 days, leaving on Sat at noon and returning the following Sat at noon.

Yes, even without a baby present.

From the TSA: "When carrying breast milk through security checkpoints it is treated in the same manner as liquid medication. Parents flying with, and without, their child(ren) are permitted to bring breast milk in quantities greater than three ounces as long as it is presented for inspection at the security checkpoint. Additionally, empty bottles and ice packs are permitted under these conditions."

The full article can be found here: http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtravel/children/formula.shtm

Do you have a stock now for your baby in the freezer? I had a back up in the freezer when I pumped at work. If you don't - you may be able to overnight the milk home if the baby needs it.

When I went on a weekend without my nursing baby - I pumped and dumped. Even though it killed me to do so, only because I couldn't keep it cold enough. Good luck!

Have you ever been away from your child for an extended period of time? Does the child take expressed milk already? If not...I'd pump and dump. It will be a pain in the butt to bring it home. If you don't have a need for expressed milk at home (as in child uses it daily while you are at work) then you have no need.

If you have a need for the milk you pump, I'd freeze it, pack it in ice and ship it home overnight FedEx and have someone at night put it with your supply at home in the freezer. Hopefully it stays frozen...if not it will have to be thrown out. They make packing supplies you can buy to ship breastmilk. You can buy breastmilk bags at any walmart, target, walgreens, babies r us, etc. Lansinoh is a good brand, it holds up well to freezing. Freeze flat, not upright.

They will open the packages and test the milk for liquid explosives. Those of us who have traveled with milk know how inconvenient it is, which is why we're advising to pump and dump, especially since the OP's child is 15 months old.

OP, the other thing to keep in mind is that if you're only pumping for comfort, after 7 days your supply will be diminished. The combination of being away from you for 7 days + finding a diminished milk supply may lead your child to wean. From your post, that may not be that big of a deal for you, but be prepared. Going away on a business trip really is what lead to the end of my nursing relationship with my first, which was fine by me. ;)

They are not allowed to open the breast milk containers or bags. They will swab the outside of the container to check for residue from an explosive.

If you freeze the milk pack it well in an insulated bag with ice packs you will be able to refreeze it when you get it home. Or you can just put them in the fridge and allow them to defrost completely and then use them. As long as you don't heat them up or leave them to get to room temp they can be refrozen.

I agree pumping and dumping is a waste to me. BM is a priceless thing. Lol you could always use it to help for when you take a night out. The option of shipping it home is a good one too if you don't have a stock pile at home for him.

Definitely print out the tsa rules and have them with you.

I brought milk on an airplane with me in may and there where no questions asked. I pulled it out of my carry on and explained what it was and they ran some tests on the outside of the containers and that was it! We were on our way. My DD was not with me. Hope that helped!

Do you have a stock now for your baby in the freezer? I had a back up in the freezer when I pumped at work. If you don't - you may be able to overnight the milk home if the baby needs it.

When I went on a weekend without my nursing baby - I pumped and dumped. Even though it killed me to do so, only because I couldn't keep it cold enough. Good luck!

No, I don't have any frozen, and DS is on cow's milk also, so there's not really a need for the milk, I've just always struggled with keeping my supply up, so it seems like such a shame to waste it.

Have you ever been away from your child for an extended period of time? Does the child take expressed milk already? If not...I'd pump and dump. It will be a pain in the butt to bring it home. If you don't have a need for expressed milk at home (as in child uses it daily while you are at work) then you have no need.

If you have a need for the milk you pump, I'd freeze it, pack it in ice and ship it home overnight FedEx and have someone at night put it with your supply at home in the freezer. Hopefully it stays frozen...if not it will have to be thrown out. They make packing supplies you can buy to ship breastmilk. You can buy breastmilk bags at any walmart, target, walgreens, babies r us, etc. Lansinoh is a good brand, it holds up well to freezing. Freeze flat, not upright.

They will open the packages and test the milk for liquid explosives. Those of us who have traveled with milk know how inconvenient it is, which is why we're advising to pump and dump, especially since the OP's child is 15 months old.

OP, the other thing to keep in mind is that if you're only pumping for comfort, after 7 days your supply will be diminished. The combination of being away from you for 7 days + finding a diminished milk supply may lead your child to wean. From your post, that may not be that big of a deal for you, but be prepared. Going away on a business trip really is what lead to the end of my nursing relationship with my first, which was fine by me. ;)

I'm honestly kind of torn about it. I originally was going to stop at 1 year, but it's such a comfort thing for DS that I feel bad taking it away from him. But, I am kind of ready to be done. I would think that even if I use this time away to help with weaning, I should still pump for comfort and to not get clogged ducts/mastitis, correct? Thanks!

I would probably pump and dump for comfort only. I'm guessing he will be weaned by the time you get home.

I had to have surgery when dd was 11 months old . I was in the hospital for 2 days and I pumped like crazy to keep up my supply because I was NOT ready to wean her. When I got home she wanted nothing to do with my milk :( She completely weaned in the two days I was gone!!!

If you are okay with him weaning then I say just pump enough to be comfortable to enjoy your trip, but not enough to keep up your supply.

No, they will not open the milk containers. They will only swab the outside of the containers to test for explosives.

I agree pumping and dumping is a waste to me. BM is a priceless thing. Lol you could always use it to help for when you take a night out. The option of shipping it home is a good one too if you don't have a stock pile at home for him.

Since the OP's DS is 15 months old and on cow's milk, she really doesn't need a stockpile of expressed milk. This is really more of a comfort thing than a nutrition thing for the child. In this case, I think pumping and dumping is the best option.

I'm honestly kind of torn about it. I originally was going to stop at 1 year, but it's such a comfort thing for DS that I feel bad taking it away from him. But, I am kind of ready to be done. I would think that even if I use this time away to help with weaning, I should still pump for comfort and to not get clogged ducts/mastitis, correct? Thanks!

Yes, you should pump for comfort and to keep yourself from developing mastitis, but you might find you will be well on your way to weaning by the time you return.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter