traveling with DD & DGS but not his dad...

Henlady

DIS Veteran
We are going on a 3-day Wonder cruise in May 2010. DD and DGS (2.5) are going with us, but not his father. DD will have DGS' Official birth certificate showing her name and his dads name and DGS has his father's last name. Will she need anything else, or is the BC sufficient? She was not planning on getting a passport for him at this time.

As long as your DD is the child's mother, nothing else is required. It never hurts to have a statement from the father giving permission to take the child out of the country, but as long as DD is the custodial parent, it isn't needed.

The link above concerns people who are taking a child who is not THEIR child, so really doesn't apply in your situation.

I am kind of concerned about the info being passed around on this board. :sad2:

As a general rule, even if you are taking your own kids and dad is staying at home, it's always best to have a notarized letter from dad saying that you can take his kids out of the country.

It has more to do with homeland security, not the cruise line.

If you look at the other cruise line's web sites, they state that notarized letters may be asked for in the ports. Doesn't Disney provide the same advice?

I am an active member at cruise critic and we discuss this issue all the time. Some parents have been asked for the letters and stopped by the port officials, not by the cruise lines.

My kids have the same last name as me. They have passports. But when we travel without my husband, I bring a letter saying I have his permission to leave the country with his kids.

Maybe since Disney traditionally doesn't go to some of the ports that have more strict guidelines, like Mexico? But when they start doing Mexico regularly, Disney will have to follow that country's rules. ;)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter