Traveling with children for the first time...HELP!

callicourt

Earning My Ears
Y'all, my DH and I don't have kiddos. We just don't have the constitution for it. The closest we've come to having children is adopting two cats! In November, we're traveling to WDW with children. It will be my 17th trip and my husband's 4th, but we've never, ever, ever taken two small children. :scared1:

I need ALL of the tips, tricks, and advice that you awesome Disney moms and dads can offer...we're scared to death! We've got an appointment at BBB and we're eating supper at Cinderella's Royal Table, but other than that, we haven't got a clue.

Seriously, any and all advice on traveling about the World with kiddos will be greatly appreciated.

How old are the kids? Seriously, I wouldn't stress to much about making plans for them. Just visiting the parks makes their eyes grow wide! When we took our boys for the first time, they were 6 and 4, and this was 16 years ago - no ADR's, no dining plan, no fastpasses, just enter the park and go to it! They were so well-behaved because they were so busy seeing and doing everything! It was a wonderful time, and seeing the parks through a child's eyes make it even more magical! Make a big deal out of getting autographs and seeing the characters, enjoying the parades and fireworks, and just grabbing small snacks and quick meals when the kids are hungry - I think mine would have gone nutty having to sit still at a restaurant when there was still a park out there to explore! Just go with it, you'll do great!

How old are the kids? Seriously, I wouldn't stress to much about making plans for them. Just visiting the parks makes their eyes grow wide! When we took our boys for the first time, they were 6 and 4, and this was 16 years ago - no ADR's, no dining plan, no fastpasses, just enter the park and go to it! They were so well-behaved because they were so busy seeing and doing everything! It was a wonderful time, and seeing the parks through a child's eyes make it even more magical! Make a big deal out of getting autographs and seeing the characters, enjoying the parades and fireworks, and just grabbing small snacks and quick meals when the kids are hungry - I think mine would have gone nutty having to sit still at a restaurant when there was still a park out there to explore! Just go with it, you'll do great!

Thank you so much! The girls are 6 & 8 and incredibly energetic.

The girls are 6 & 8 and incredibly energetic.

Are you the only adults in this party? Will their parents be accompanying you?

Just got back from a big family trip with my sibs and their families. Great fun, but we didn't spend too much time together because of the age differences between our children. She has a 4 and 7 year old, I have a 17 and 20 year old. We are over the castle meal. ;)

Follow the children's lead in what to do and how fast to do it. Enjoy what you can and don't worry about what you don't get to. You are making memories for these special people. Don't let one of the memories be of the big meltdown because you wanted them to see it all.

are just like adults but completely different.

A couple of things to remember:

1) Keep an eye on the little one. Hours are shorter in November but the younger will likely need rest on some days.

2) Be patient. Kids will find things interesting that you would never guess. Let them go a little.

3) Try to give the 8 year old an opportunity for some decisions. Some kids buy in better with some input but some don't. Just minimize options and don't offer anything you can't do. My wife sat down with our 8 year old daughter this weekend and laid out rides and attractions she wanted to see at Disneyland this summer. They looked and read about each ride. They split the attractions into want, would like, if time and no way.

4) If possible have them watch the Disney planning video. They may have more questions after that but it will allow them to get a feel.

Answer their questions honestly. For example.. haunted mansion.. is it scary? well, its dark and a little bit scary. There aren't any monsters to jump out at you. There isn't any bloody scenes. When my kids ask about somethign they haven't experienced yet, i ask them what they think it will be like. And correct or confirm from there.
Pack some snacks ( fruit snacks or pretzels etc) for waiting in line. Learn to play I Spy, buy a Hidden Mickey Guide,
Do Kim Possible scavenger hunt in Epcot. That will certainly make Epcot more interesting for them as well as the KidCot stops.
Go on Disney for Families and see if someone will be a Fairy Godmailer for you /them.

Eh, i could send you all kinds of tips : ) Oh, if they aren't used to being away from their parents or from home with out them, have the girls bring a doll or stuffed animal from home to make bed time a little easier. That is usually when they miss home. Also, have them speak with mom and/or dad before they go to bed or when they wake up.

I have sole custody of my DD who is now 7. We've gone to one park or another every year since she was 3.

The best advice I can offer is remember you are there for them, not for you.
That may mean skipping Space Mountain, and going on "It's a Small World" a half dozen times.
I agree with the previous poster about explaining the rides. One thing we did was stand outside the rides and look at them (I'd point to the people getting off the rides, and make sure she saw how happy they were, and now one was hurt, scared or crying). She started off terrified of Jungle Cruise, and left with Haunted Mansion and Splash Mountain her favorite rides.
Relax and have fun!

First off, let me say how lovely of you to take some kids that aren't yours! Childless friends of my parents took my brother, myself and 2 other kids (my parents could NEVER have afforded it) and it was a very fun time!

Here are some of my suggestions for you.

Get yourself some Disney maps (if you need some, PM me and I will mail them to you) and let the kids kinda look them over. A copy of WDW For Kids By Kids wouldn't be a bad idea either. Let them each pick 1 or 2 things from each park that they really want to do. Then, when you are planning your days, you can incorporate those things in and anything beyond that will be a bonus/treat for them (and you).

Plan a rest during the day. Are you staying on-site? If so, that makes it a ton easier. Even kids that age need a little "quiet time" with all the excitement WDW has to offer. Even if they don't take a "nap", a dip in the pool and watching a cartoon on the tv for a couple hours can recharge the old (young) batteries!

If you have a late night, try not to have a too early start the next day.

If one of them picks Dumbo or Winnie the Pooh as a "must do", get the heck out of bed and be there for morning EMH so you can do it without waiting for hours!

Let them pick at least 1 character meal.

If you are buying "treats" for them, explain clearly what they are allowed to get ahead of time. Example, you will buy them 1 t-shirt and 1 other souvineer of their choice. Not one in every park, or every gift shop :rotfl2: That said, budget on caving in at least once or twice to their requests. It's darn hard to say no to a Brer Bear stuffie after riding Splash Mountain!

It's good that you've been plenty of times before because really the biggest mistake I see people make in parks is taking young kids and then trying to fulfill their own agenda in terms of what they NEED to see and do. Expect everything you do to take at least twice as long as it normally would, maybe longer. This includes getting ready to go in the morning, eating meals, even going to the bathroom. There is nothing you can do about this so just get used to the idea. Once you expect a trip to the potty to take twenty minutes and you are at peace with that then every time it only takes 15 minutes will feel like a victory. Expect to rest a lot and go slow and expect them to decide not to go on or see stuff you would like to do or see. Children should not be little tyrants but at disneyworld I think they get some leeway to determine the itinerary. Also, don't wait to eat until they're already hungry, by then it's too late and there will be some meltdowns. Build meal and snack time into your plan and make sure everyone stays well fed and hydrated, Mickey bars are your friends (just like always, really).

Other than that relax and have fun. It's a perfect age for Disney. This last trip our oldest was 6 and we got to do a bunch of stuff never did before, it was awesome. She LOVED kim possible at Epcot, and the new kingdom keepers game at the magic kingdom was super fun. We also started looking for hidden mickeys and that was great too. Be flexible, plan to intersperse busy days with quiet days, I would say you shouldn't plan to go to the magic kingdom two days in a row because they'll need recovery time. Maybe plan to have a day in the middle of the trip where you don't go into the parks at all, or you only go for a couple hours in the afternoon for a ride or two or a parade. At 6 and 8 a day at the pool might be nearly as thrilling as a day at the park. Have fun, it's really a different experience with kids, enjoy it.

Is this the first time for the children?

My boys are 5 and 8 and VERY energetic ;).

They never rest in between and maybe we go back once during the week to go swimming during the day. My boys love Hoop-de-Doo and Sci-Fi. I think it is because there is so much going on around them.

I would suggest knowing their heights and what they might not be able to ride prior to going. I would carry something on you for when the lines are long (lolipops or fruit snacks) and maybe a juice box. I bring wet wipes to clean up any mess. And I expect them to have a hard time in Epcot and Animal Kingdom, there is a lot of walking.

I also purchase gift cards for them individually. When they run out of money, they run out.

We took our grandsons at 4 and 7. We gave them each a budget that they could spend on souvineers. Since there is a "shopping opportunity" at every ride, I took a small pad and pen and when they saw something they wanted we wrote it down, including the price. The last night we went over their list and they decided which things they REALLY wanted to buy with their limited money. Last day we went back and bought those things. This avoided disappointment when the money was gone and they then found something they really would treasure as opposed to stuff that would wind up under their beds. :rolleyes:

Thank you so much! The girls are 6 & 8 and incredibly energetic.
Oh, that's the perfect age. I wouldn't stress out it too much. We have 5 children and have been taking them since they were babies. By the time they were the age of 6, let alone 8, they were easy in the parks. By the age of 4 they rode almost everything in the parks, even Tower of Terror and were definitely riding Rockin' Roller Coaster, Space Mountain, Everest, etc., buy 6 and 8 years of age. At that age they could pretty much go all day and definitely didn't need naps. The only time I would take a break at the resort is if you are planning on doing one of the late night hard ticket parties or if you are planning on doing late EMH. Other than that, you shouldn't have to really change your touring style too much. I really wouldn't stress out about it at all - it will be fun :-)

If they get something in the gift shops before a non-character meal see if they will wait till the meal to open it. That is the only way I kept my son occupied long enough to eat. The park is just too enticing otherwise.

All children are different I have a 13yo who won't do the tower of terror or the haunted mansion and my 7yo won't ride roller coasters so be prepared for the fact that one of the children might want to ride things the other won't.

I think if you're going in really hot weather or during a crowded time period it's good to go back to the room for a rest. The parks are supposed to be most crowded from 11-3 (which is also when they are the hotest) we usually eat lunch at 11:30 because it's easy to find seating then ride one or two more rides and then go back to the room and watch the disney channel for two hours. We then head back to the parks when the crowds and the heat have died down. We also try to get to the parks when they open. You can get more done from 9-10:30AM then in 3 hours later in the day.

Also, make sure you go over what to do in the event that you get seperated.

All great advice so far. I'd like to add that you shouldn't worry too much about scheduling big thinks like the royal table and bibbidy. It's fine that they are on the plan but don't expect them to be amazed. They may love it or they may tolerate it. Kids are all different. It's important just to be payed back and go with the flow.

If all else fails. Kids love water. Always. All of them. All the time. :). But seriously they would appreciate the pools.

Bring plenty of sunscreen and wipes. Make sure the kids wear comfortable shoes! Get mist fans for the girls! It gets so hot and kids tend to get very whiny when they are tired! :rotfl: We normally go back to the resort after lunch and rest and go swimming. If you are there from rope drop to the fireworks the kids are so exhausted (especially if they have been walking) that its hard to enjoy the fireworks.

Let them take turns choosing rides and when you go to Epcot do the Kidcot in the world showcase. Overall, just relax and have fun!

We just returned my DD is 6. You have the right idea with BBB and Cinderella's Royal Table. We did BBB right before dinner at the CRT and it was perfect. If you have the dinning plan make sure to book Whispering Cannon Resturant. When your there make sure to ask for ketchup! We went our second night and our DD asked to go back every night for the rest of the trip. Instead of trading pins my DD asked for a charm braclet. She then collected charms for all her favorite events. It is cute and relatively inexpensive. She has been wearing it everyday since we have been home and loves to talk about where/what each charm represents. Just relax and enjoy seeing it though their eyes. Enjoy the Magic!

Don't worry too much - I'm sure you'll have a great time seeing the kids enjoy themselves - even if they're not your own.

Best tip is just as it is for adults - get there early. Young kids do not always have a great tolerance for waiting in long lines, especially if it is hot. We always aimed to arrive for rope drop, and leave by about 1pm for lunch and time in the pool.

Get the girls autograph books - ideally let them choose their own. My girls loved collecting the autographs, and it gives them a reason to approach the characters who can otherwise be a little daunting.

You are in a for a great time!! You just need to have a game plan!!:teacher:

These are some books that are REALLY good and geared towards touring the parks with kids!!

this one is my favorite-
-The Unofficial Guide to Walt Disney World with Kids 2012 (Unofficial Guides) by Bob Sehlinger, Liliane Opsomer and Len

This is also a good one and fun for kids!
-Kid Tips for Walt Disney World: Touring Advice by Kids for Kids by Tracie A Cook

I think the biggest mistake people make in doing Disney with kids is to allow the kids to call all the shots and run their adults ragged. The whole "You are there for THEM and not for YOU" mentality doesn't tend to lend itself to happy touring days. You and your husband are not just there to be money and food dispensers. You need to make sure you are having a good time too. If you have a plan that works for EVERYONE, then everyone will have a great time!! If you have your day kind of "mapped out" you will have a loose structure to your day and won't be standing around trying to figure out "what next".

It might be a good idea to figure out what kinds of kiddos you have...meaning are they timid about rides? The dark? Characters? etc. That way you have a bit of structure as to what kinds of things will be the most fun. The worst thing would be to have no clue that say Haunted Mansion would scared the daylights out of one of the kids and then you spend the rest of the day dealing the fallout from the emotional trauma!

Make sure you that your pace works well for shorter legs! There is nothing wrong with renting a "kid transporter" if the little one is not handling the pace well. (ignore the haters about kids over the age of three in "strollers". Disney is not normal walking. It can be up to 16 miles in a day depending on which parks you go to. So do what works best for your crew and ignore the stories of others children and their superhuman feats of never needing to rest OR go to the bathroom let alone ride in a stroller!:rolleyes: It is an option that you have and it can be a lifesaver!)

It's important to remember to hydrate and keep blood sugar at an energy sustaining level. I always carry goldfish crackers and Zbars in my Disney bag to hand out when kids are flagging energy wise. Zbars are organic and have protein and they work WONDERS. They are made by Clif bars and have several flavors! You can get them at Target.

Mister fans are great for keeping little bodies cool and if you buy them before hand you won't have to pay the outrageous Disney prices!!

Rest in the middle of day when it's the hottest if you are able to do so. A mid day pit stop back at the resort to swim and rest and rejuvenate will do wonders for the second half of the day!!

Lastly-It's important to have expectations in place for behavior as well. Sometimes kids will push boundaries to see how far they get with adults that are not their parents. So talk up front with the kids about your expectations behavior wise. Everyone needs to be respectful of each other (kids to kids and kids to adults) and make sure nice manners are packed along with every thing else! If the kids are misbehaving and nothing is done to correct it you may be in for a frustrating day.

So long story...long...have a plan in place. Know what your game plan is for the day. Correct what needs correcting and be flexible when you need to be.

The kids will take their cues from y'all! If you are having fun and are in control, they will have fun and be able to relax. :cheer2:

Don't trick them into riding something because if it scares them, they will not want to try anything else. You can find videos on You Tube of many of the rides that they can look at to get an idea of whether it would be too scary.

Also, if they are picky eaters you may want to browse the menus online to plan which restaurants you will try to hit and work your touring plan to hit there at mealtime.

Hopefully they will like the same things. We had one child who absolutely refused to miss a parade and the rest of our children would rather have been riding. So we usually pick one or two parades to compromise.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter